Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’m peddling my wares at a horror/goth makers market today so I’m downloading Return of the Living Dead to watch while people ignore my booth

I was planning on watching it on the real day tomorrow but today’s close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sam Raimi should've been completely let loose for that Doctor Strange sequel, it had a lot of really fun sequences but they were used too sparingly.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I bought the Shout Factory ROTLD UHD just yesterday! It truly gets better every time I watch it; I realized last time that I can basically track the movie by sound. Just a phenomenal score and soundtrack that punctuates each scene flawlessly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

A Lynne Ramsay horror would slaughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjY9kf7TuUU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's thread law that you have to watch Return of the Living Dead on July 3rd.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

Okay what the hell is the name of the movie I'm remembering. It has a scene where these women kidnap a guy then take him to surgery and remove his dick. Then he wakes up in like a bowling alley goes to pee and starts screaming.

Looks like it's The Ladies Club

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

Ang Lee.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I had gone looking for a GIF in the old thread and stumbled on an old throwaway comment I had made where I posted this trailer, and asked if anybody had heard anything about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQWOoEraRA

It was over a year ago and I thought, yeah, this has to be streaming somewhere at this point, and naturally it's on Tubi. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and watch this one for the class.

He's Watching isn't a great movie. It's probably not even a good movie. What it is is charming and engaging in a really unusual way. The whole thing was filmed during COVID by a guy who works in Hollywood, using only his house, his family, and some of his close friends. The plot is relatively fast and loose; I don't think there's anything groundbreaking here, and nobody's going to win any awards for it. There are some really cool shots (lots of carefully edited shots through objects to make it look like a single take even when it's not), and a handful of scares that you'll probably see coming but are fun anyway. The whole thing feels too long, with large chunks of the movie taking a surrealist, dreamlike approach that doesn't do anything particularly new other than pad out a movie that you know the director felt close to and couldn't bear to trim.

Even with all that, the movie remains... surprisingly charming.

The first and most obvious strength is that the two main characters are the director's actual kids (since this was filmed over the COVID lockdown), and the sibling chemistry is perfect. The dynamic is reminiscent of what Shyamalan tried to do in The Visit, with a beleaguered older sister and a slightly annoying younger brother constantly testing her limits. But whereas The Visit's siblings still felt artificial (because it was), this one feels genuine and honest because it literally is. If you have siblings, you already know and recognize the unspoken chemistry of 'I am so sick of your poo poo but I also love you and we're still related so whatever', and that radiates through this movie. When the siblings are annoyed at each other, you can tell it's coming from a place of actual genuine annoyance, and it makes the performances so much more relatable and endearing because it's so naturalistic. There's a scene about a third of the way into the movie where the kids fight over a container of strawberries that is funny simply because it's probably the most realistic sibling interaction I've seen in a film in years.

Pictured: A fight over strawberries in the most sibling way possible

A lot rides on the acting of the kids, for better and for worse. The tradeoff is that for every moment that feels authentic and interesting (most of the quiet, understated ones throughout the movie), there's another moment where the acting is pretty bad and inauthentic (lots of the big emotional moments where it's clear the kids aren't professional actors). Again, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; I'm willing to sacrifice some of the emotional reactions in exchange for the authenticity of the performances, and I don't think this movie would have been as likable if it wasn't the guy's actual kids just being themselves in a horror situation.

Another aspect I really appreciate is the "set design" and props. I mean set design in the loosest sense of the word, because the movie is literally filmed in the guy's actual house, in the kids' actual rooms, and the house is a goddamn mess. There's clutter everywhere, objects sorta strewn around, art on every wall... the house is legitimately lived-in. It's a nice contrast to a lot of other movies where a house would be relatively organized or sanitized before being shown -- instead, you know this is their actual house, and some of this poo poo was just filmed as it lay. Nobody bothered to straighten up (or if they did, they didn't do an amazing job) and it gives a sense of place and disorder that helps ground the performances even more. The props and 'monster' design are the same way -- they're messy and a little sloppy, but authentically. If you were a monster who was messing with some kids in an abandoned house, of course this would be the spooky mask you make, you had to make due with stuff they already had around the house. The aesthetic and spirit reminds me of Gondry's Be Kind, Rewind and the Sweded films, where perfect representation isn't the point, it's more about the gung-ho attitude of 'let's just make something'. And that carries over to the whole movie -- the whole movie is bolstered and propped up by this sense of 'we're making a movie for fun, yay' that softens a lot of the harshest criticisms about the movie.

You never get the sense that the movie is destined for greatness, but you also don't get the sense that anyone involved thought it would be. It's pushed forward by sheer DIY gumption, and the fortunate luck that the director works in Hollywood and has both a camera and an editing suite. It's a little like watching your friend's movie that he filmed in high school; both of you knowing that you're not going to see anything groundbreaking, but there's a tacit acknowledgement that hey, we had fun here, maybe just enjoy the fun thing I tried to do. And in that respect, I think the movie succeeds.

The most obvious point of comparison here is Skinamarink. Both movies are about children alone in a house without adults, in the midst of something bigger happening around them. Both use the trappings of middle class youth (midwestern youth versus coastal youth, in this case) to give background to the characters and performances. Both movies have extended sequences in a dark or poorly lit house where objects thump and disappear, where shapes play against walls, and where you're supposed to spot the spooky thing in the background on your own. But whereas Skinamarink was too dedicated to the concept of dead space and 'nothing happening', it feels like the opposite reaction, where there was a fear that sitting too long on something might make the audience bored. This is valuable because it gives a reasonable middle ground for future filmmakers to aim for -- the willingness to let tension build in a shot of nothing, but not for so long that it becomes boring or tedious. If Skinamarink is a 'house-fi' film about minimalism, He's Watching is a house-fi film about maximalism, and trying to make every second interesting even when it doesn't need to be.

Am I telling you to watch it? Only if you're curious. I don't think it's an incredible movie by any stretch, but I don't regret watching it. I think the actual sibling dynamic is fun, and there's a handful of visuals that are pretty good, but I don't think you'll be missing out on a lot by having never seen it. I come down on the side that it's not a necessary or vital film, but I am glad it exists, and that it exists as a time capsule of a few weird months in 2020/2021.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wanna see a horror movie made by Martin McDonagh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flying Zamboni posted:

Not sure where else to post about this but figured people here might think this is cool.

There's a YouTube channel called British Cryptids (1974) that makes short films about fictional cryptids that are made in the style of 70's British television programming. They're pretty well made but update infrequently. They just uploaded a new video today as part of a parallel series called "Man's Unknowable World" that I thought was pretty was good.

They're all short watches and have a good spooky vibe to them.

I watched the Yeti one months back and had no idea they made more, stupid Youtube. This is definitely up there with Fake Documentary Q!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

God I wish there was a bloody knife text reaction.

I’d use that constantly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

God I wish there was a bloody knife text reaction.

I’d use that constantly.

Be the change you want to see.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

Sacred Deer is close anyways, but Yorgos Lanthamos would be my pick

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually always wished that Robin Williams was in a horror movie. I think he would have been really good.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I never saw it but wasn't 1 Hour Photo kinda sold like that?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

shoeberto posted:

And to a lesser extent, Insomnia, although that’s a straight up thriller for the most part.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Resurrect Billy Wilder and command his groaning spirit to direct something extremely funny but still a full-on horror film

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

shoeberto posted:

It's been many years since I saw it, but yeah, it skirts closer to horror than thriller, I think (mainly cause it's from the 'bad guy's' perspective). Very tense, though the ending isn't really mean enough.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I wanna see a horror movie made by Martin McDonagh
Well all his films already horrify me so it'd probably be cool as long as it wasn't too racist

sad question
May 30, 2020

I haven't seen Scream sequels after 3, which I rectified this weekend. Like with previous sequels I thought they were ok enough but none of them come close to the original and even by horror franchise standards feel superfluous. At this point all the talking about meta poo poo is cringe af. Especially when they started bringing up reddit. It's a lot of talking about inverting the tropes, oooh poo poo we're gonna get real crazy guys, and then nothing that interesting happens. I liked the never ending door fake out scene in the middle one because it was actually playful and not just talking about being playful. I also enjoyed a protagonist that ices motherfuckers left and right. Also RIP to a real one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

Jody Hill

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whatever happened to that Ryan Gosling Wolfman project. Is that just dead in the water.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would like to see Denis Villeneuve do a horror movie. Lord knows some of his earlier movies like Incendies or Enemy are almost there already, but he's so good at genre stuff in general that something more focused on horror could probably produce great results.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Deadite posted:

I’m peddling my wares at a horror/goth makers market today so I’m downloading Return of the Living Dead to watch while people ignore my booth

Good luck goon

Everybody go check out and support your local horror/goth makers market, you might find some absolutely sick poo poo like this

The fricking thing is 2 feet tall, weighs like 15 pounds, included the attached 5-foot chain, and yes that is a physical hole in the middle of the evil star

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Coen Brothers doing a horror movie would be interesting.

Quentin Tarantino never actually directed a horror movie unless you count Death Proof.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

VROOM VROOM posted:

Good luck goon

Everybody go check out and support your local horror/goth makers market, you might find some absolutely sick poo poo like this

The fricking thing is 2 feet tall, weighs like 15 pounds, included the attached 5-foot chain, and yes that is a physical hole in the middle of the evil star

So far I’ve sold three pieces which beats my previous market record by three. People in Minnesota just aren’t in the market for what I make

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Coen Brothers doing a horror movie would be interesting.
Them doing anything together again would be great. Not too high on Solo Joel

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A Wes Anderson horror movie is the most bizarre combo I can think of that I'd absolutely love to see an attempt at.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Them doing anything together again would be great. Not too high on Solo Joel

im. ....mr solo jolo, oh oh oh, oh oh

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Barton Fink turns into a horror movie at the end and it whips so seconding the Coens.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Dude in Space

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Wes Anderson is my favorite director, although horror is so far out of his wheelhouse I can only imagine how that would turn out. I'd be there at the premiere, though.

I think PT Anderson could absolutely do it. Coens too.

The Daniels probably have a fun horror-comedy in them.

I don't know if Miyazaki has ever done a straight horror film, but there's some wonderful eerie and spooky imagery across the films of his that I have seen.

I'd love to see Charlie Kaufman do something overtly horror. (You can certainly make a case for I'm Thinking of Ending Things, although to me it's not quite so easy to pin down).

And there's plenty who have dipped their toes in I wish would have/have done it more. The late Robert Altman only really went there with Images and parts of 3 Women, but those are some of his most interesting films (3 Women is one of my favorites by anybody). Herzog I think I could only call his Nosferatu straight horror, but he's clearly capable of doing it. Lanthimos and Villeneuve have been mentioned as guys who have arguably done it, but I wouldn't mind seeing more, either.

In more idiosyncratic, deep cuts for my personal favs--John Maclean, best known as a musician for the Beta Band but the director of the wonderful Slow West, has only done that film so far (apparently another is on the way), but that film has such visual flair and an economical use of time I'd love to see a horror film. Andrew Bujalski is mostly known for mumblecore stuff, but also did the brilliant and bizarre Computer Chess, had some really out-there surreal and strange stuff at the end. I wouldn't find another out-of-his-comfort-zone swing for something spooky.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’m sure this has been posted before but for those who haven’t seen it SNL did a trailer for a Wes Anderson horror movie

https://youtu.be/gfDIAZCwHQE

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Speaking of trailers I asked my wife if she wanted to watch Ravenous with me and I showed her the trailer. The trailer was so bad it made me reevaluate my memory of the movie. Like I don’t remember the movie being hokey but the trailer sure makes it looks that way

https://youtu.be/l7BDiNktrLU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

BrownPepper posted:

What are some of people's favorite castration scenes?

Not so much favorite as a 'well, that was different'. In Piranha 3DD, the guy who freaks about getting a piranha on his penis while having sex and cuts it off.

Shrecknet posted:

Agree that found footage sucks, both from a motion sickness angle and from a "why are you filming this?" angle, but the related 'horror mockumentary' genre gave us Lake Mungo and I will actual-factual murder you if you think that movie isn't the tightest poo poo ever.

Just watched Savageland and it very, very clearly was taking inspiration from Lake Mungo but tried to do its own thing and it was only OK.

Found footage where they apply basic common sense on the fundamentals tends to be pretty good. Hell House LLC gave us a decent reason for them to still be filming. Savageland, I'd consider that more of a 'found photography' film. The B&W photos were exceptionally impacting.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I saw The Boogeyman in the theater. I actually liked it! The creature design was alright, and they wisely keep it offscreen or shadowed for the first 90% of the movie. Mostly I was impressed by the sound design and sound mixing. None of the modern lovely dialogue mixing issues, goes from perfectly legible sound to shockingly loud at just the right times.

Boogeyman was a lot better than what I was expecting. I did like they leaned closer to the short story.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mover posted:

Resurrect Billy Wilder and command his groaning spirit to direct something extremely funny but still a full-on horror film

Oh. He just directed Beau is Afraid, how about that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

Speaking of trailers I asked my wife if she wanted to watch Ravenous with me and I showed her the trailer. The trailer was so bad it made me reevaluate my memory of the movie. Like I don’t remember the movie being hokey but the trailer sure makes it looks that way

https://youtu.be/l7BDiNktrLU

No, it's just a notoriously bad trailer.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

i think Spielberg's sort of "accomplishment" is that he usually folds genres into his mass-audience-appeal-ness; Jurassic Park is a monster movie (Lost World more so), Close Encounters and Minority Report are kind of hard sci-fi. it's well on display in Poltergeist as well. it's weird to me that him and Stephen King have never successfully collaborated, they seem cut from the same cloth

i'd really like to see Tim Heidecker or Eric Wareheim commit to directing a sincere, not-played-for-irony horror movie. Wareheim's video for 'We are Water' by Health particularly has convinced me that this'd work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG4bHjPLEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Bedtime Stories has some eps that sort of count as a stab at horror. They're really loving weird.