Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One good movie out of that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Between this and Immaculate I'm so loving here for great religious horror being back

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1772713170798288988

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Perfect pastiche, no notes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, that rules. Actually getting excited to see this movie now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just realized that next Halloween I want just a bunch of 70s-rear end horror trailers blasting on a loop while kids come to the door

All with them shrieks

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh poo poo, The First Omen is by Arkasha Stevenson. Her season of Channel Zero loving ruled.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Wow that trailer is prefect. Just watched No One Will Save You and I really dug it. The aliens were nice and weird, just top tier movie aliens.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gently caress that is a well-cast Ralph Ineson.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

The director/writer also did the writing for *inhales*

Cry Wolf
Prey (2007)
Kick rear end 2
Truth or Dare
Blumhouse's Fantasy Island
and Bloodshot

Wow that's quite the list.

I was talking to a friend after watching it (Imaginary since new page) and it's just such a bizarre movie. The youngest kid actor was crazy good for being a dang toddler, and mad respect for the practical effects, but the exposition and zero trust in the audience transcended bad and became godlike in it's awfulness. Really unfortunate because it had a ton of potential. Not to mention the bizarre decision to introduce the most punchable side character neighbor kid, set up him getting killed, only to have him get away. Boooooo. In fact, the movie really did go after it's PG-13 rating, I think someone in this thread called it a bad Goosebumps movie and that's an apt description.

I recently started reading the comic series Something is Killing the Children which has a similar theme of monstrous imaginary friends and it does it better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress that is a well-cast Ralph Ineson.
:hai:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Between this and Immaculate I'm so loving here for great religious horror being back

Related, I just saw a separate listing on Fandango for The First Omen in 35MM. Seems like a fitting way to see it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

Huh, now I actually want to see this. What a badass trailer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was already hooked with the first trailer tbh. A breath of fresh air when sandwiched in between like, Aquaman and Bob Marley or whatever

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

I was thinking that after her head explodes and she kills everyone that she would call Jack over and have an actual interview with the Devil. The ending we got was pretty good but stabbing the girl when he thought it was his wife was a little too predictable for me.

I did figure out where that was going part way through the scene, though I'm confused why he ended up stabbing Lily, other than everyone else being dead or gone. Why would the demon manipulate Jack into destroying his only connection to our world? Unless the third act was actually a state of shock, and the only way Jack could carry through with what had to be done to defeat the demon. Or maybe he'll be the new host, if they try to get a sequel out of this.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

glitchwraith posted:

I did figure out where that was going part way through the scene, though I'm confused why he ended up stabbing Lily, other than everyone else being dead or gone. Why would the demon manipulate Jack into destroying his only connection to our world? Unless the third act was actually a state of shock, and the only way Jack could carry through with what had to be done to defeat the demon. Or maybe he'll be the new host, if they try to get a sequel out of this.

When they were talking about the satanic cult they said the women were being bred to create child sacrifices so Lily was intended to be a sacrifice but the cult was killed before that could happen. Though it seemed that the demon probably killed the cult dudes. I guess it's not as fun when it's being done voluntarily.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 27, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rewatched POSSESSOR and drat it needs an sequel or TV show. The tech only explores assassination but you could do an anthology where each ep is a different crime: bank robbery, drug dealing, etc. and how it gets hosed up by people tryna reposess their bodies

also dark blood (like when blood looks black or oily) is my pet peeve in movies maybe thats why i like giallo but Possessor fails to fall into this trap despite being bloody and having a unique style.

and thats what i appreciates aboutcha, Brandon Cronenberg

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

he was a very affable and shy dude when I got to meet him the one time. Always funny meeting creators like that and Possessor is their work.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i read that as always sunny and now im picturing "The Gang Gets Possessor'd"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Went to see Mother's Instinct today, more a thriller than an outright horror, but still very enjoyable, very tense and paranoid. Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain are both great actors, who knew.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I managed to catch You'll Never Find Me at the movies. Good little flick. It reminded me quite a bit of A Wounded Fawn, which I saw last year, but this was a better execution of the idea. It holds onto the appearance of reality for longer, and does some cool things with the audience's point of view. It doesn't have that lush, grainy look of Fawn, which was that movie's best feature, but it's still decent visually. Extremely dark without being being muddy or incoherent. The movie has this relentless, overpowering atmosphere, and fantastic sound design. The thunder sort of merges with the man's voice, the lightning always seems to sync up with peoples' movements, there's this awful screaming you half-hear in the wind. Just a great tension piece.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

If any of you who have seen Gústi the Strong vs The Merman are on Letterboxd know now that you can log it on Letterboxd since it's officially come out now
https://boxd.it/LS3w

And/or on IMDb https://m.imdb.com/title/tt31710231/?language=fr-fr

Feel free to leave as honest off a review as you can. I appreciate any view.

Here's a super secret screener just in case.
[https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=rHskJ8xc19WysT-s&v=AQu4jN05IH4&feature=youtu.be

Some shameless plugging.

But done in the service of maybe getting a monster of the week TV show made in the near future by pointing out how our proof of concept was well received.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hmm should I go see Immaculate or Late Night with the Devil this weekend?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Immaculate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some shameless plugging.

But done in the service of maybe getting a monster of the week TV show made in the near future by pointing out how our proof of concept was well received.

HOLY poo poo TITS THIS IS AMAZING

I loving love it. Everyone this is the proest click, if you can not watch now, open it in a tab for later.

It’s very shonen anime by way of Pipi Longstocking, everything about the production is charming and it’s super funny across a language barrier.

I have the biggest loving grin. What can I as a random American do to help you get this show. Do I send a big fancy letter to the Alþingi? I will write the hell out of a testimonial for you.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Immaculate

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching Imaginary. Can't believe they lucked into a kid performance this good, in a film that's so otherwise unremarkably mediocre. Except when it suddenly takes a tilt into camp in the last third, for some reason. ("You're telling me... Bing Bong is real?")

I laughed really hard at the part where the cookie-cutter plot (this is basically just Insidious mash) needed to have a witch doctor or occultist or ghost hunter turn up and do some generic lore drops, and they went with child psychologist.

But the kid in this is actually really really good. And Betty Buckley is too much of a pro not to be solid in a dumb side role that seems to completely change its requirements of her from act to act.

The entire thing just sort of tastes like ashes tbh, because it's bad but you can sense some people trying and you end up feeling crappy for them. Maybe if they went further towards Eternal Sunshine meets Labyrinth throughout the entire film rather than just the final act it could have been good, but the production design and lighting on display don't make me think it would have been particularly notable. Like there's even a bit that straight up rips off a visual beat from Coraline and it looks terrible.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some shameless plugging.

fantastic, watched it before bed and it was a delightful little treat. really hope you go to series, I really enjoyed it. the tone reminds me of the best Moomintroll stories. the cast are excellent but Merman really really gives it his all and by satan I love that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching Imaginary. Can't believe they lucked into a kid performance this good, in a film that's so otherwise unremarkably mediocre. Except when it suddenly takes a tilt into camp in the last third, for some reason. ("You're telling me... Bing Bong is real?")

Only in the last couple years have I noticed that kid actors are a big part of the Blumhouse formula, and honestly I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

the cast are excellent but Merman really really gives it his all and by satan I love that

It's kind of amazing how he hits exactly the right number of "A-"s every time he laughs

Lolla has kind of the same "get strangled, kid" energy as Mimi from PG but by far my biggest laugh was for "He's in Grindavik!" Suffice to say I eagerly await Gusti vs the Draugr

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Phy posted:

It's kind of amazing how he hits exactly the right number of "A-"s every time he laughs

Lolla has kind of the same "get strangled, kid" energy as Mimi from PG but by far my biggest laugh was for "He's in Grindavik!" Suffice to say I eagerly await Gusti vs the Draugr

I’m not exactly the biggest social butterfly (shocker I know from my gregarious demeanor), but I’ve been passing that along to everyone I know.

I really like how his sweater is shot like it’s a superhero chest logo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m not exactly the biggest social butterfly (shocker I know from my gregarious demeanor), but I’ve been passing that along to everyone I know.

I really like how his sweater is shot like it’s a superhero chest logo.

Everyone in Iceland wears a comfy woolen sweater but only Gusti can make it a symbol of justice and fair play

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"I'm somewhat fond of living!" and every single time the merman laughed absolutely cracked me up. Dying to see more of the adventures of Gústi the Strong!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some shameless plugging.

did you make this? this is excellent

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some shameless plugging.

This is delightful.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Immaculate is perfect for Easter weekend. I really enjoyed it.

I haven't seen Late Night with the Devil and won't until I can see it for free due to the AI bullshit.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is it just me, or is Chauncey’s theme from Imaginary lifting a lot from the resolution theme in Home Alone?

https://youtu.be/-Lr45YhoeAs
https://youtu.be/XudwluyoU-4

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some shameless plugging.

i cannot stress enough how loving good this is.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's ya boi, k waste, wading into the late night discourse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_DQbWJTRD8

Great review either way, as usual

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s very shonen anime by way of Pipi Longstocking,

gently caress me if this ain't precisely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Is it just me, or is Chauncey’s theme from Imaginary lifting a lot from the resolution theme in Home Alone?

https://youtu.be/-Lr45YhoeAs
https://youtu.be/XudwluyoU-4

I thought the same thing when I saw it in theaters -- every composer is chasing John Williams, whether or not they realize it.