Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best horror icon that hasn't gone to space yet but should and why is it Chucky?

I would not be shocked if the TV show goes there. At this point they could make it work.

MacheteZombie posted:

Freddy haunting a bunch of folks in cryosleep aboard a spaceship.

As a kid I wrote a story about Freddy haunting the nightmares of the last person alive on a post-apocalyptic Earth, then after that guy died Freddy was stuck hoping cockroaches might one day evolve to have dreams. My teacher said it was "Very Scary!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best horror icon that hasn't gone to space yet but should and why is it Chucky?
It's Freddy Kreuger. It was always Freddy. Also we needed a FREDDY ON THE INTERNET movie. It dont have to make sense. I mourn the many Freddy's Dead rear end films we never got.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd be down for some kind of mash up of Freddy and Shocker. Freddy getting your rear end in augmented reality would be interesting at least.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Nobody is doing this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Shrek is absolutely at least horror-adjacent, like a Hotel Transylvania. Dude’s literally a swamp monster who eats eyeballs and stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Strange posture to take from a horror movie fan that literally works in a morgue!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Strange posture to take from a horror movie fan that literally works in a morgue!

i work at a funeral home!! i cant embalm in a morgue lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah people come to conclusions different from you and it’s not all some big joke that everybody else is in on except you. I like it when people have wild interpretations that are totally different from my viewpoint, I’m not going to just assume they aren’t being genuine for reasons.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Yeah people come to conclusions different from you and it’s not all some big joke that everybody else is in on except you. I like it when people have wild interpretations that are totally different from my viewpoint, I’m not going to just assume they aren’t being genuine for reasons.

i agree but the endless "childrens movie is actually a horror movie" isnt genuine

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kids movies being horror adjacent used to be much more of a thing, back when it was ok to try to give kids a scare. So many of the classic fairy tales are horrorish after all. Like, everyone would agree that there's some legit scary stuff in Neverending Story, but you'd never hear anyone calling it an actual horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

i work at a funeral home!! i cant embalm in a morgue lol

My bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

. Like, everyone would agree that there's some legit scary stuff in Neverending Story, but you'd never hear anyone calling it an actual horror movie.

Yeah exactly like nobody genuinely actually believes Shrek is a horror movie they just like the mental gymnastics

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

SMG isn't people.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

i agree but the endless "childrens movie is actually a horror movie" isnt genuine

They said “at-least horror adjacent”. Not exactly the same.

But again, I just don’t agree with invalidating those conclusions based on some non-existent scale on genuineness. I don’t have to agree with it but ppl genuinely believe a lot of wild stuff. I mean who is anyone trying to impress on this forum lol

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
In other news...

I'm working through the suggested categories and my own ideas for the upcoming

:spooky: May 2024 Horror Challenge! :spooky:

I'm thinking about when to announce the categories. The first day is a bit awkward because May 1 is a Wednesday. We'll for sure get four full weekends no matter what, and May 31 is a Friday for any Friday night features. The weekend before the 1st is too early to start, that's like an extra week, but do people have any strong opinions about the thread launching and the challenge being announced maybe April 29 or April 30 to give a little time for people to plan? Totally open to suggestions.

EDIT: April 29/30, not May. I'm not a monster, even if I am horror-adjacent.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

In other news...

I'm working through the suggested categories and my own ideas for the upcoming

:spooky: May 2024 Horror Challenge! :spooky:

I'm thinking about when to announce the categories. The first day is a bit awkward because May 1 is a Wednesday. We'll for sure get four full weekends no matter what, and May 31 is a Friday for any Friday night features. The weekend before the 1st is too early to start, that's like an extra week, but do people have any strong opinions about the thread launching and the challenge being announced maybe April 29 or April 30 to give a little time for people to plan? Totally open to suggestions.

You ninja'd before I could catch your typo lol. Well done.

I'm very biased because I'm not gonna be around for third of the month in the middle, but because of that I would like to know the challenges ASAP. Or reasonably ASAP. ASARP.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
From what I've observed, people are going to want to start the day you post the challenge thread. That doesn't mean you can't post the thread on April 29th or whatever, we've done that plenty of times for the October thread where the challenge officially starts a few days before October 1st. People like to be able to get a little head start.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, last October we started on the 29th Sept so people could count Saw X on release day. I'd say the 29th is a fair compromise, starts it on a Monday then, so you get a whole week clear at the start.

Anyway, hell yeah, I'm excited for May Challenge, I look forward to these threads for 6 months.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SMG osna highly advanced ChatBot and/ior literally Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Zizek

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 23, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I just think that movies can be a lot of fun while also having something, even something minor, to say. It's what makes movies so exciting for me, especially horror. Sorry for upsetting you.

I agree. And also pretty much every film is saying something even if that something isn’t super deep. “It’s about grief” or “it’s about mental illness” doesn’t need to be a super all encompassing metaphor. It could even just be on the surface. And even something like terrifier is about something.

I’ll have to think deeper but I could maybe say it’s about taking control of your life which you feel like you have no control over, via sienna who feels locked in at home with her controlling mother who also is feeling the same way.

They end up bonding near the end but it’s a little too late for the mother but not for Sienna who takes up the sword and fuckin chops that clowns rear end down 😤

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

lol yea that'll definitely turn the temperature down, thanks a bunch

Also this made me mad. Erin said nothing remotely temperature turning. Come on

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Also this made me mad. Erin said nothing remotely temperature turning. Come on

They were kind enough to edit out the part that I was referring to and I didn't realize it when I quoted the post that they'd taken that bit out. I'll leave it at that, the thread has moved on.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching The Mangler and boy oh boy is this a movie. Lotta fun. Cartoonish. Grotesque. People become piles of meat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching The Mangler and boy oh boy is this a movie. Lotta fun. Cartoonish. Grotesque. People become piles of meat.

I like the movie well enough but there's a number of SK short stories that are quite solemn and bleak that have extremely silly premises that I would love to see done "straight" and this is one of em.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Mangler 2 is a very bad movie but I have a VHS copy I bought and showed to my friends because it has a hilarious cover and the opening titles are done in the Chiller font. Extremely funny time. A character goes to HackerGirlzOnline and downloads The Mangler Virus to her school's security system.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like the movie well enough but there's a number of SK short stories that are quite solemn and bleak that have extremely silly premises that I would love to see done "straight" and this is one of em.

Graveyard Shift is a very bad movie (it's also a very sweaty movie) that could be a great creature feature if done right. And I think "The Man in the Black Suit" could make for an all-time great horror short film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just finished Late Night with the Devil, thought it was pretty dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Graveyard Shift is a very bad movie

woah there

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's mid

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Shrek is absolutely at least horror-adjacent, like a Hotel Transylvania. Dude’s literally a swamp monster who eats eyeballs and stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Late Night With the Devil? I agree

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Late Night With the Devil? I agree

Lol :argh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Graveyard Shift was part of Stephen King's Night Shift which is one of the best short story anthologies I've ever read

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Come with me, son. I'm a poleethman...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At the very least the cast is pretty good. Dourif and Stephen Macht!

WeaponX posted:

Thank you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Just finished Late Night with the Devil, thought it was pretty dope.

its good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Everyone keeps dogging on the Randi stand in, that was one of my fav characters

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I just think that movies can be a lot of fun while also having something, even something minor, to say. It's what makes movies so exciting for me, especially horror. Sorry for upsetting you.

Sitting here now trying to really think about the horror movies that had The Most to Say, which is an interesting subject. Agree that it's a fine line and a delicate balance between subtlety, hamfistedness, cleverness, symbolism, metaphors...

So very hard to get right in horror (and also comedy). I think that's why so few movies in those genres win Oscars and high critical acclaim. What's funny or scary is just so very subjective and what scares one person makes another one laugh. What makes one person laugh, another finds stupid. But everyone knows what drama is.

First horror movies off the top of my head that really fit the bill are The Shining and Night of the Living Dead/DAwn of the Dead but even those seem like film 101/cliches even as I write it. I love Halloween but...is it saying anything beyond the surface level idea of women being punished for sex? I don't think so. It's just got great style.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? Is THey Live a horror movie? I'm just spitballing here while I make dinner so cut me some slack in advance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe the reason horror doesn't get big accolades is it's too good of a genre for those awards. Horror is beneath them.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Everyone keeps dogging on the Randi stand in, that was one of my fav characters

he was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's Freddy Kreuger. It was always Freddy. Also we needed a FREDDY ON THE INTERNET movie. It dont have to make sense. I mourn the many Freddy's Dead rear end films we never got.

That's actually not the stupidest idea I ever heard. Astronauts on a spaceship sure as poo poo still gotta sleep.