Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah. Have fun! Favorite scene in the theater was Brett’s death. The theater sound makes it so much cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

The Cronenbergs rule, and yes I'm taking this as a PSA/reminder to say David's daughter's feature horror debut Humane releases in theaters and VOD services Friday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humane_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4b-OMLNWE0

This is out today

So is this

Chris James 2 posted:

Infested comes to Shudder next Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-uiy20_zM

The other spider-horror film this month that isn't Sting, and it's Sebastian Vanicek's feature debut. It impressed Sam Raimi so much when it was being shopped to studios that he personally chose Vanicek to direct the next Evil Dead with 100% creative freedom https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3799163/new-evil-dead-filmmaker-sebastien-vanicek-teases-his-vision-a-nasty-film-a-film-that-hurts/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Isolated was a fun watch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Prom Ride. It’s awful in every way. It opens with a dance number and later has an extended scene where the villain makes one of the girls in the bus pee in a bucket and films it for social media.

The film is a mystery who is the one who did this to all these kids. Was it someone they bullied? A teacher? A parent??

No it was the bus driver. Why? Idk.

I'm not going to watch this film, but this reveal sounds like it makes perfect sense tbh.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

It sucks rear end you gave me this info on the holiest of days. It’s not a day for barn movies bht for alien movies :(

...?

The anniversary of the Chernobyl Disaster?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xiahou Dun posted:

...?

The anniversary of the Chernobyl Disaster?

Today is Alien Day!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Alamo is playing Alien and I think I gotta go

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Infested was pretty fun I thought. Just good ridiculous spider insanity. Got me squirming for sure.

Need Infested 2 where the nearly car size mama spider starts rampaging on the streets of Paris, getting bigger and having more babies, facing French soldiers as incompetent and screwed as the French policemen in Infested 1

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is Late Night With the Devil a good pick to watch with people who maybe aren’t the biggest horror fans?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

david_a posted:

Is Late Night With the Devil a good pick to watch with people who maybe aren’t the biggest horror fans?

I thought it was decent. I'd say it makes a good group watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

Maybe. It's not very scary, and has good acting and is kind of funny. But I didn't find to be a WOOOAH HOLY poo poo group watch movie if you're looking for that

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

david_a posted:

It’s very well made and light on the spooks, so yes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think the fourth wall breaking could be fun with a group. It was fun with an audience when I saw it in a theatre

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I figured I'd ask here in this thread to see if any other horror goons are interested in playing D & D on Thursdays 6pm Central to 9pm central over roll20. Message me if you are interested.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The one day of the week I can’t do it 😭

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the fourth wall breaking could be fun with a group. It was fun with an audience when I saw it in a theatre

Killed the movie for me honestly :/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly if I had a group of people together I would watch Hundreds of Beavers. I mean its not horror but its so loving good that its hard to not recommend.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Honestly if I had a group of people together I would watch Hundreds of Beavers. I mean its not horror but its so loving good that its hard to not recommend.

Extremely second this. I desperately want to go to one of the screenings where the filmmakers attend in costume and fight each other outside the theatre

It's kind of horror if you count the disembowelment rendered entirely in plush

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Honestly if I had a group of people together I would watch Don't Let the Riverbeast Get You!!!
:hmmyes:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

This movie sucked absolute balls in ways you'd never expect. The director submitted it to TIFF and it was initially rejected but the programmer gave some notes on how to improve it. It was recut and approved for TIFF but the director sent in the original rejected version instead. Safe to say that director will not ever be invited back to the festival.

re: Boy Kills World, I was just told that the release in theatres now is 'closer to the cut that was accepted to TIFF' including having the H. Jon Benjamin voiceover which the TIFF cut didn't have, and minus some of the more cringe jokes. I still think it looks pretty bad and the voiceover, regardless of who's doing it, detracted from the experience overall but the version you'll see won't be quite as bad as the one I did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Infested briefly made me scared of spiders, though I will say there was a missed opportunity by having only one hulking behemoth, but I guess you gotta save something for a sequel. Definitely see why Raimi looked at this and wanted the director to make an Evil Dead

Speaking of, he's not the only one! https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3809897/another-evil-dead-movie-in-the-works-with-francis-galluppi-directing/ Second new Evil Dead film announced, Raimi picked Francis Galluppi to direct this one; May 10 is the release of Galluppi's first film (which inspired Raimi to choose him), The Last Stop in Yuma County, which is a "neo-noir western" with Jim Cummings, Richard Brake, Barbara Crampton and Alex Essoe

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’d actually been eyeing Last Stop in Yuma County.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

What do you mean? He addresses a camera diagetically, since he's a talk show host.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie breaks it's own forth wall when it becomes a real movie instead of a talk show

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/ifcfilms/status/1783918974696362080?s=46
In A Violent Nature officially comes out May 31st!

Perfect way to wrap half way to October.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oh i think they meant the hypnosis scene, which for sure is a moment that is supposed to be your personal perspective as you were hypnotized

I liked that scene a lot. That didn't ruin the film for me my bad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

oh i think they meant the hypnosis scene, which for sure is a moment that is supposed to be your personal perspective as you were hypnotized

I liked that scene a lot. That didn't ruin the film for me my bad

Yeah that's what I meant, I see how that might have been unclear!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dorium posted:

I don’t know why I’m into this, but I’m into this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah that's what I meant, I see how that might have been unclear!

nah I just have stoopid brain

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’d actually been eyeing Last Stop in Yuma County.

It's good OP. More deadpan than slapstick, but something tells me he's got the right sense of humour.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

On late night with the devil, I felt it's a perfectly fine film but it's unclear to me why they necessitated the beginning narration and explanation of the backstory of the characters and the talk show. There were enough dialogue and hints at all those throughout the show. The behind the scenes stuff being traditional rather than the lost media / found footage conceit didn't work for me either and I would have preferred they committed to that for the whole show

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

satan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked Late Night with the Devil ok but ironically since I'm a FF freak who's seen all its influences, the fact that it's just a pretty decent film that never actually scared me made me give it a solid B or maybe B-.
It's definitely worth people's time tho.

I'd rather be watching Ghostwatch or some Koji Shiraishi but tbf I love David Dastmalchian (let's be real tho a lot of the exposition is pretty clunky) and those comparisons ain't meant as a diss.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 27, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was reminded of (the better film) 1988's Psychic Vision: Jaganrei and its frankly charming and goofy GHOST CAM
Too bad it's hard to find good subs for that though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think at the end of the day if we're being real the villain of Late Night is motherfucking Johnny Carson.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dorium posted:

I hate to break it to you, but halfway to October is April. Unless you only count the period between Octobers, in which case it's May 15th.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

like the concept that everything can be horror, every month and every day is October

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's always October somewhere

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
About to see Late Night With The Devil right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to Bodies Bodies Bodies, and It's alright. I feel like it was missing something tonally that would have made it really work-like it should have either leaned more into comedy, or more into the paranoia. Not exactly the same, but I feel like the benoit blanc movies walk that comedy/mystery line with large casts of terrible rich people better.