Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I started watching Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi because I read this thread. It's not what I was expecting to be sure. I really liked Noroi, but the investigator in that seemed to be trying to, you know, help the situation. I'm just two episodes in but we're not supposed to be on this guy Kudo's side right? So far he's attacked a homeless man for information, put a medium in a bad situation by having her call up a very dangerous entity and then got mad at her when she didn't finish because she was comatose and vomiting, maybe got one of the witnesses killed by having him confront that same entity, threw a cursed object at a ghost as an experiment, which sent everyone in the room into seizures, is angry and abusive to his co-worker, and generally seems to have no idea what the hell he's doing. Bold choice for our protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Flubby posted:

I started watching Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi because I read this thread. It's not what I was expecting to be sure. I really liked Noroi, but the investigator in that seemed to be trying to, you know, help the situation. I'm just two episodes in but we're not supposed to be on this guy Kudo's side right? So far he's attacked a homeless man for information, put a medium in a bad situation by having her call up a very dangerous entity and then got mad at her when she didn't finish because she was comatose and vomiting, maybe got one of the witnesses killed by having him confront that same entity, threw a cursed object at a ghost as an experiment, which sent everyone in the room into seizures, is angry and abusive to his co-worker, and generally seems to have no idea what the hell he's doing. Bold choice for our protagonist.

yes we all agree that he's the best

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Director Kudo is the greatest hero in horror movie history.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 1, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Possibly the single greatest escalation in stakes in cinema occurs later on in the series when Kudo gets a baseball bat

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Flubby posted:

He gets worse.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sure he's a lot now but when poo poo is hitting the extradimensional fan do you really want someone to hug the yokai to death? long live Director Kudo and his baseball bat of justice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shudder news this month:

All four original Toxic Avenger films are available to stream on the service as of today. Hopefully a release date for the new one with Peter Dinklage gets announced soon, it had its festival premiere last September and has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes
Stopmotion comes to the service at the end of the month (the 31st), if you haven't bought or rented it on VOD services yet definitely don't sleep on that, it's pretty good!
In 1994 a Danish horror film came out called Nightwatch, it was actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's film debut and an apparently decently-received slow-burn murder mystery. On the 17th it comes to Shudder, along with a brand-new sequel with Nikolaj and a couple others from the original returning!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you ever listen to uhh KNIFEPOINT HORROR?

On WEED?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cannot wait for this

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785706461189816400

Woah

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785346987992490449

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 1, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

On WEED?

Don't think I could handle that!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

not to turn this into a horror podcast derail (too late) but my partner was listening to something called the magnus archives which was cool little anthology horror stories and i liked the couple of them i listened to

like everything it apparently eventually turns into its own serialized lorefuckery but the individualized spooky story parts were good
I will go to the mat defending SAYER as the greatest (sci-fi) horror podcast of all time, at least through its first 40-or-so 20-minute episodes until there's a reset. The series had a natural stopping point but patreon dollarydoos speak, so they wrote around the ending and kept going. You can turn it off after that, for sure.

It's doing everything Nightvale did, but for spooks instead of laffs and it works

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kudo and ishikawa work incredibly well as a duo and while she started off more like a "sighing serious female co lead who can't believe her male co lead's antics" she also gets increasingly into a lot of the weird poo poo and later has a particular powerful weapon: her fist

E: i showed an episode to a friend and I am not sure if people here would agree to their assessment "she is like the experienced plumber who has seen tons of crap but can't believe how stupid the current crap is, and he is that plumber's dad who tagged along"

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 2, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

I will go to the mat defending SAYER as the greatest (sci-fi) horror podcast of all time, at least through its first 40-or-so 20-minute episodes until there's a reset. The series had a natural stopping point but patreon dollarydoos speak, so they wrote around the ending and kept going. You can turn it off after that, for sure.

It's doing everything Nightvale did, but for spooks instead of laffs and it works

Hmm, I'm intrigued.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

E: i showed an episode to a friend and I am not sure if people here would agree to their assessment "she is like the experienced plumber who has seen tons of crap but can't believe how stupid the current crap is, and he is that plumber's dad who tagged along"

Lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That somehow feels both completely wrong and completely right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Lmao at that quote

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One of the things that got me excited to watch The Outwaters was hearing there was going to be a version with commentary from an investigator looking into the case. Now having seen the movie, I can't even imagine what that would be like. Officer Kielbasa saying "At this point we can see the victim has entered what we in the law enforcement community call a fractal nightmare hellscape. This is very dangerous, even for a seasoned officer such as myself. For an untrained civilian like Mr. Zagorac, his chances of escape from the unending cycle of self-hatred and mutilation are near zero. The Chicago Police Department is preparing it's SWAT Team to enter the hellscape and extract Mr. Zagorac, and tactically eliminate the entity or entities responsible for this breach between reality and madness."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

yes we all agree that he's the best

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
He's a menace!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Minor chucky spoilers

The Horror Thread: Forget it Jake, it’s Chuckytown

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Excuse me but if people love the stupid clown who kills women then kudo is the greatest hero of cinema

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Excuse me but as people love the stupid clown who kills women then kudo is the greatest hero of cinema

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New chucky episode is loving WILD. I can’t wait for season 4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The moment chucky took over Jake I was like, okay Zack, this is it. Pull it off. And he did. Great Brad douriff. The ending to this is wild.

My only issue is the bad bad bad bad bad green screen effects. But bad visual effects never ruined horror. The practicals were all top notch so it’s fine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I watched Poltergeist all the way through for the first time ever yesterday (it scared the poo poo out of me as a kid and I tapped out about 40 minutes in) and I absolutely loved it. The practical effects were insanely cool.

After the movie I did some googling and apparently there's some debate about who actually directed the movie. Tobe Hooper is listed as the director, but even while I was watching the film I kept thinking it felt like a Spielberg movie through and through. It'd be interesting to know what actually went down there. Was Hooper just influenced by Spielberg, or did Spielberg actually direct the movie while Hooper watched?

Also, I really want to watch some kind of "making of" video, essay or analysis of the movie now, but YouTube is just offering up lame-rear end reaction videos, so would anyone happen to have any recommendations on this front?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Spielberg absolutely stepped in for parts of it, there's a debate as to just how much though. I believe it was Zelda Rubinstein who claimed Hooper was drugged up the entire time, there's been some pushback against that, but at the very least Spielberg helped out with the FX heavy stuff because he was more used to it. At the same time it's not completely lacking in Hooper's feel. I think it reads best as a collaboration.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm yeah, the believability rating on that is quite high.

The only other Tobe Hooper movie I've seen (that I know of) is The Texas Chain Saw Massacre so I couldn't really tell you what his style is, whereas Spielberg's is very recognizable.

Now I want to know even more.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hmm yeah, the believability rating on that is quite high.

The only other Tobe Hooper movie I've seen (that I know of) is The Texas Chain Saw Massacre so I couldn't really tell you what his style is, whereas Spielberg's is very recognizable.

Now I want to know even more.

Spielberg ghost Directed lots of stuff in the early 80's that his name was attached too.

He apparently ghost Directed a lot of The Twlight Zone movie too, though weirdly he really vehemently denies this and definitely wasn't on set for certain events.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess whatever parts of the movie aren't as cool are probably Spielberg
Dude could never direct a film as dope as The Mangler or Invaders from Mars. :hehe:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Excuse me but if people love the stupid clown who kills women then kudo is the greatest hero of cinema

Kudo would beat the poo poo out of Art

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

As a teenager I was convinced Poltergeist was 100% Spielberg since the only Hooper thing I'd seen was Texas Chainsaw Massace.

But after seeing Invaders from Mars, Lifeforce, and The Funhouse? There's way more Hooper in that movie than you might think at first glance.

We'll never know for sure but my completely uninformed opinion is it's about 50/50. I've read that Hooper struggled at times to deal with some of the actors on set, but who knows.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Y'know what really annoys me about The Outwaters? They went out there for the specific reason of shooting footage for music videos, but it never occurred to them to get a decent flashlight so they could shoot at night. Stop at walmart on the way out of town and get a flashlight that lets you shoot night footage, get shots of the girl singing in front of the endless black sky, maybe see a coyote or something, get usable stuff. But no, they decide to just be completely incapable of getting any usable footage after the sun goes down and instead use the flashlight that's been sitting in their mom's kitchen drawer since 1985

The movie gives you time to ruminate on these things when they decide to spend 25 minutes following a poker chip sized circle of light.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

The moment chucky took over Jake I was like, okay Zack, this is it. Pull it off. And he did. Great Brad douriff. The ending to this is wild.

My only issue is the bad bad bad bad bad green screen effects. But bad visual effects never ruined horror. The practicals were all top notch so it’s fine.

Yeah some of the green screen was terrible. I gotta though, say as a loyal fan of the show i still skipped through this episode quite a bit. I was over the whole whitehouse storyline 2 episodes ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My read on Poltergeist is basically the way Spielberg has always described it. Spielberg produced the movie and was involved in writing it, so he was on set most days. He and Hooper had a collaborative thing going on where Hooper wasn't like, taking charge ala Ridley Scott or James Cameron and making definitive decisions. They were discussing ideas and Spielberg obviously had tons of clout and Hooper respected him so Hooper was incorporating his ideas throughout the production of the movie. Hooper is also just a quieter guy in comparison to a lot of directors, which I think led to the perception on set that Spielberg was running the show when really it was mostly like I said, a collaboration between the two of them where the specific title of director and producer didn't mean as much as it probably does on most productions.

So I think you could argue Spielberg "co-directed" it, but to say he was the actual director and Hooper was just there doing whatever Spielberg told him to do is I think a misconception.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Basebf555's understanding is always the impression I got, as well, I haven't researched it or anything though. Still, Spielberg being a screenwriter/producer does mean he had a big role, but I think people use that to take too much credit away from Hooper. And, don't get me wrong, I definitely think of Hooper as less a master of horror and more as a hack who nailed it a few times. But A Fancy Hat correctly points out that when you look at his filmography beyond TCM there's plenty of examples where he had a tone closer to Poltergeist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I agree with that assessment of the situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think a part of what drives that narrative about Poltergeist is the fact that Spielberg had a contract where he wasn't allowed to direct anything while he was working on E.T., so people then jump to the conclusion that he really didn't want anyone else directing Poltergeist and he needed a figurehead to act as Director so he could get around the contract.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
We can still blame Spielberg for nixing this in favour of the entirely forgettable roaring gunk-skull popping out of the closet

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God drat what a finale. Chucky the GOAT.

I wish season 3 had a bit more Nica since she is my favorite, but with how things are left off it seems like there is a decent chance she will be more directly involve in the main plot of a season 4 since Tiffany and Chucky together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

67 and still making love posted:

We can still blame Spielberg for nixing this in favour of the entirely forgettable roaring gunk-skull popping out of the closet

Holy poo poo