Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

it's well on display in Poltergeist as well.
despite the rumors, Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

it's weird to me that him and Stephen King have never successfully collaborated, they seem cut from the same cloth

A Spielberg The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would be incredible.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

despite the rumors, Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist

haha yeah i meant to elaborate on that. i think if Spielberg had directed it we probably wouldn't have gotten all the corpses in the swimming pool for better or worse

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Deadite posted:

So far I’ve sold three pieces which beats my previous market record by three. People in Minnesota just aren’t in the market for what I make

Do you have an Etsy or something similar?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Deadite posted:

So far I’ve sold three pieces which beats my previous market record by three. People in Minnesota just aren’t in the market for what I make

These are very cool

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Deadite posted:

Post your etsy or your estore or whatever. I wanna see more stuff.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

There was a rape revenge movie made years ago where these 3 women who were surgeons would kidnap guys and then castrate them. I just remember they did it to one guy and he woke up then he went to pee and started screaming. No I don't know the name of the movie. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Is there any chance that this was Rape Squad (also known as Acts of Vengeance) from 1974? I only remember it from being in a collection of negative Ebert reviews I had as a kid, but it sounds like it could be in the ballpark.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

Is there any chance that this was Rape Squad (also known as Acts of Vengeance) from 1974? I only remember it from being in a collection of negative Ebert reviews I had as a kid, but it sounds like it could be in the ballpark.

Apparently it was a filmed called The Ladies Club.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Glad you figured it out it out homie

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Darthemed posted:

Do you have an Etsy or something similar?

Hollismason posted:

Post your etsy or your estore or whatever. I wanna see more stuff.

I don’t sell them online because I’m not dedicated enough to making them to keep a store stocked. Also the shipping on these things is absurd. The few I’ve sent out have cost way more to ship than they do to build. Today was the first market I’ve done since last October and I was just filling in for someone that had to drop out.

I mostly make them as a hobby because I personally want horror/occult themed neon signs to hang on my walls.

I post most of my stuff to Instagram if you want to see more but I haven’t updated in a while.

https://instagram.com/_signs.of.the.end_?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shudder with another winner in Influencer

Highly worth the watch

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally, decorations to make our haunted house a haunted home.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2023

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day everybody!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

HK5000 posted:

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day everybody!

I bought the UHD two days ago completely by coincidence and I'll be off work by 5:30.

:getin:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched the most recent episode of The Last Drive-In which featured Beyond the Door III and Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

Scarecrow is great, a great little EC Comics-esque morality story about a bunch of evil people getting their comeuppance. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Door is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen in terms of structure and character motivations. It takes half an hour to get on the demonic train, which should be the main draw of the thing, but it immediately gets batshit crazy once they're on that thing. The train brutally murders people, including jumping off its own tracks to run down two people in a lake, and people inside the train also go crazy and start turning into monsters and attacking each other. This one is also highly recommended because it's just so weird.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project?

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy discuss their lives together as they crawl through the digestive tract and are slowly dissolving in the bowels of an eldritch horror that ate them after they accidentally summoned it due to a particularly fierce marital spat.

Richard Linklater's Before Digestion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project?

Not my idea, but Jim Henson’s Creature Shop working on a kaiju movie would have been amazing. They could have pulled off some insane giant puppet thing for Godzilla to fight

Edit: for that matter, them making any large monster in a horror movie would have been amazing too. Thinking of something like the giant thing at the end of Species II

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I wish Sidney Lunet had tried his hand at real horror just once; I think the closest he got was Equus (Or maybe The Wiz?), but he was so gifted at conveying information without dialogue and ratcheting up tension that I think it could have been something special. Somewhere between Polanski and Ari Aster maybe, just going off vibes.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Not my idea, but Jim Henson’s Creature Shop working on a kaiju movie would have been amazing. They could have pulled off some insane giant puppet thing for Godzilla to fight

Edit: for that matter, them making any large monster in a horror movie would have been amazing too. Thinking of something like the giant thing at the end of Species II

Didn’t they do the mascots in the upcoming FNaF movie? or was that Weta’s crazy rear end again

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know you all will blast me for this but The Russo Brother doing horror would be interesting. They managed to do a pretty good job of creating tension in The Winter Solider and despite the Marvel method, I think they do a good job of keeping you focused on your characters but with all this chaos going on around you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Didn’t they do the mascots in the upcoming FNaF movie? or was that Weta’s crazy rear end again

Yes, they are. I looked up their filmography after I posted that and they’ve done more horror adjacent things than I realized. No kaijus though!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Leatherhead posted:

I wish Sidney Lunet had tried his hand at real horror just once; I think the closest he got was Equus (Or maybe The Wiz?), but he was so gifted at conveying information without dialogue and ratcheting up tension that I think it could have been something special. Somewhere between Polanski and Ari Aster maybe, just going off vibes.

The scene in Network where Howard Beale is dragged into a dark boardroom and given one of the greatest villain speeches ever right before The loving Ending is so good and really shows a glimpse of that. I feel like if nothing else Lumet could've made one of those police procedural/horror combinations like 10 To Midnight and it would have been an absolute classic. drat.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

david_a posted:

It's not much of a stretch to imagine The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth going much darker and scarier, they already had pretty great atmospheres.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Finally, decorations to make our haunted house a haunted home.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I watched Return of the Living Dead yesterday. I can't decide what to watch today. Somethings 80s. Quirky and fun. Maybe Brain Damage.

edit:

I have decided , Zu : Warriors from the Magic Mountain

Not horror but it seems like a wild ride

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 3, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I like how the credits for Return of the Living Dead show scenes from the movie we just finished watching

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12724306/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

After watching Barry I bet Bill Hader would be able to direct an awesome horror movie

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

lmao, Dark Night of the Scarecrow is loving BLEAK for a made for TV movie. Network TV used to go hard, drat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Opopanax posted:

After watching Barry I bet Bill Hader would be able to direct an awesome horror movie

He's actually going to be in a horror movie if I remember right. Like that's his next big project, but I'm unsure if he's directing it.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/bill-hader-wants-to-direct-horror-movie-1234831355/

Actually according to this that's what he wants to do.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Origami Dali posted:

I just rewatched Body Bags last week and this very small creepy scare stood out, so it's some bad gross graffiti but it sets a great tone for the rest of the story.

This scene from Scream 2 lives in my mind whenever I use the toilet at the cinema.

But the story told in Candyman just absolutely terrified me as a young kid, I'd say I shat myself - but that would mean I'd have to run to the toilet, and I'm staying the gently caress away.

BrownPepper posted:

What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

Kathryn Bigelow with Near Dark.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 3, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

Herzog's Nosferatu.

Jacob's Ladder is a fun one too, it's forever funny to me that Mr. Erotic Thriller Adrian Lyne directed one of the most upsetting horror movies of all time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BrownPepper posted:

Barely counts but Barbarian

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

BrownPepper posted:

The first two that came to mind are The Shining and 28 Days Later

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Last Night In Soho left me breathless at points. I suppose Shaun of the Dead disqualifies it but LNIS is so different from Wright's other work.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

lmao, Dark Night of the Scarecrow is loving BLEAK for a made for TV movie. Network TV used to go hard, drat.

Since we were just recently talking about Spielberg, and now made-for-TV movies: Duel is a fully perfect movie, one of the best to ever do it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

Silence of the Lambs
Jacobs Ladder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I love the hell out of this movie. It took me a while to figure out that it must have been made for TV because something seemed a bit off about the pacing etc. the first time I saw it.

As far as directors who could probably do a banger of a horror movie I nominate Steve McQueen. If anyone has seen Shame it wouldn't take much for him to spin a story like that into full on horror. Give him Fassbender as a lead and we're in business.