Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I agree. It's charming and funny but lacked that last little push to make it truly special. It did solidify Rachel Sennott for me as the funniest actress today though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked the opening of late night with the devil. Set it up as a trashy show I'm watching on like 2000s vh1 or something on the id channel. Needed to follow through with that a bit more

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I enjoyed Late Night With the Devil, though I did a little lol at the 1:45 of like 8 different production company idents at the start. That's gotta be some kind of record, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Quote-Unquote posted:

I enjoyed Late Night With the Devil, though I did a little lol at the 1:45 of like 8 different production company idents at the start. That's gotta be some kind of record, right?

Always reminds me of the Family Guy cutaway where it's just intro after intro

Edit - And that just made me realize that Family Guy has now been around more than half my life gently caress I'm old

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 27, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's unusual for an American film but every film in Europe has at least 5.

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one film with 10.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think it was when I went to see Mother's Instinct a few weeks ago (great movie, by the way) where I started getting "alright, get on with the drat movie" with how many production company idents there were.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember The End of Evangelion having a ton as well; I don’t watch a ton of anime but I feel like that’s fairly typical for them

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Quote-Unquote posted:

End of Evangelion has like 800.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I liked the opening of late night with the devil. Set it up as a trashy show I'm watching on like 2000s vh1 or something on the id channel. Needed to follow through with that a bit more

I think the problem is formal inconsistency. The opening is fine if that's the vibe they were going to be trying to sustain throughout, but there's at least three different styles going on and it's hard to understand how they exist contiguously with each other. I'd have to double check, but I suspect some of the behind the scenes sequences couldn't possibly be "filmed" without the use of invisible cameras.

The bit where the film completely breaks with its found footage format essentially dismantles the conceit that the audience is watching a historical document, meaning that the film is either incoherent or a perhaps just a coherent representation of an incoherent hallucination. The latter explanation seems confusing and a bit of a waste of a premise.

I've seen films drop a verite / found footage style partway through, but it's usually done with more purpose and grace than this. I suspect they just didn't know how else to end their film. Which is a shame, because I thought the part where *we* get hypnotised along with the audience, followed by the set piece where they watch the footage back, was really fun and scratched at my brain in cool ways. I wish they'd found ways to make that the climax of the film. As it is, it's so hard to reconcile that sequence with the full on subjective sequences where we're suddenly sutured to a character's perspective.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 27, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah i thought the opening was kinda clunky esp the stuff that's like generic THIS IS THE 70s but they did need to exposition dump about The Coward Johnny Carson and the dude's relationship and I guess they couldn't figure out a more subtle way.

Fine enough movie. Just didn't really spook me much. I'm willing to forgive found footage "how are they filming this/why is the format switching" type stuff if the movie's great.
See: The Outwaters

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Watched Infested today and yeah, that was a much better spooky spider movie than Sting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

my complaint with late night with the devil is that it is a found footage film that breaks the rules of found footage

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the problem is formal inconsistency. The opening is fine if that's the vibe they were going to be trying to sustain throughout, but there's at least three different styles going on and it's hard to understand how they exist contiguously with each other. I'd have to double check, but I suspect some of the behind the scenes sequences couldn't possibly be "filmed" without the use of invisible cameras.

SPOILER TEXT

This inconsistency did keep me from suspending my disbelief.

That said, I liked the whole movie up to the climax. That SPOILER you posted is what pushed me away. If the movie ended with the Jack and the demon staring contest, I would have been fine. Or even a little end narration with maybe some “police evidence photos” or something.

It reminded me a little of History of the Occult, except that movie ended and left the audience with a little mystery.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Watched Inferno tonight, what a fun time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stir of Echoes is on and goddamn this movie rocks so hard. Kevin Bacon rules

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It feels like for every Stir of Echoes, Kevin Bacon is in a worst movie you've ever seen type film like The Darkness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man's got to eat! Not to mention that even if he's in a stinker, he still gives it his all

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Besides, the more movies he's in with new people, the lower everyone's average Bacon number gets, it's a public service

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m going to watch isolation tonight. And if I don’t probate me. I need to watch more horror movies.

Will report back tomorrow with a very quick review

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
There's this movie in theatres called Alien. Should I go see it?

heh.

This will be the 4th time I've seen it in theaters. The first was in '79 as a 4 year old, the second was at a midnight matinee with an old, worn out film print in the late 90s, the third was a few years ago for the director's cut re-release, and then just now with the 4k remaster. I just love it so much.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars, didn't love it as much as The Mangler but it was still really fun and charming. Love the goofy rear end aliens and that their motive is basically to do a Martian 9/11 on NASA to sabotage American exploration/colonization of Mars (can you blame them?) and they actually succeed.
There's a lot of fun "alien trying very confidently to act human, loving it up majorly, and not really catching on" acting which is an art in a campy movie like this.

About to see Ghost Stories with Martin Freeman, hadn't even heard of it but it seems fun. Maybe it'll end up being a better Late Night with the Devil type thing, there seem to be fake documentary elements.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched Smile, drat what an unsettling movie. Kinda gave me vibes of It Follows and Talk To Me by the way it just retains tension even in scenes where nothing happens. You are never sure what is true or delusion.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

A.o.D. posted:

heh.

This will be the 4th time I've seen it in theaters. The first was in '79 as a 4 year old, the second was at a midnight matinee with an old, worn out film print in the late 90s, the third was a few years ago for the director's cut re-release, and then just now with the 4k remaster. I just love it so much.

What really rekindled my love with that film is Alien: Isolation. If you never played it please do, the upcoming Alien: Romulus film apparently draws from it as well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

heh.

it's seriously a timeless movie. every bit of it is just great

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Isolation is 8 bucks on steam until may 1st. It's a must buy. Spooky and stressful.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Alien Isolation is 8 bucks on steam until may 1st. It's a must buy. Spooky and stressful.

its good and i'm quit upset that the next game will be VR

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

for the love of god give me another good survival horror alien game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A.o.D. posted:

heh.

We were supposed to see it today but the theatre's been doing this thing lately where they switch the times day to day and I forget to check. It was playing at 3:50 yesterday, today it was at 3:20 so we got there 20 mins late. Same thing happened when we went to see Love Lies Bleeding :argh:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wondering how things would have turned out if it was parker who lived instead of ripley...

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its good and i'm quit upset that the next game will be VR

Hell nope, i'm not playing jump scare alien games in vr.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wondering how things would have turned out if it was parker who lived instead of ripley...

maybe they finally would have resolved the bonus situation

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Does he still take Jonesy with him?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Alien Isolation was the scariest thing I’ve ever done and I’m sad I’ll never be able to play it for the first time again because I really miss how wire-taut with actual real fear that game made me feel. The atmosphere is absolutely off the charts. It’s a tragedy that we’ll never get another one.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

parker would save jonesy and the first words of his upon waking up and meeting burke would be to inquire about the bonus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow. I’ve been waiting for a movie like Isolation for a long time. Who knew it was right there?

It’s soo gross and goopy. It’s like Alien meets The Thing meets Babe lol

The actual creature was wild but I wish they had a few clearer shots. It was hard to figure out what exactly it was. But it was very well done.

Top teir goopy practical effects throughout.

Slight spoiler thoughts but it’s funny I was hesitant to watch it on Alien day when the film does a lot of Alien nods which I loved. Midway through there was a very cool scene that felt like they were taking direct inspiration from Brett’s death with the dripping water and aggressive industrial environment. That character was played by Sean Harris who was in Prometheus so we get more alien connections lol

Later they pull a Dallas in the air vents too.

It’s wild how many cool visually striking set pieces they got out of a farm.

The film was very creepy and unsettling full of wonderful body horror and very simple characters. No one was overly stupid or dramatic which I very much appreciated.

Well done movie. Thank you for finding this. This will definitely be something I spread to people when I can. I’d love to own it somehow. Tubi has it in glorious 480p which is a horrible shame because it’s actually a very very great looking film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Omg the director has another movie called The hybrid about people finding an alien human hybrid in a bunker.

Be still my heart.

Need more nasty body horror experiments gone wrong movies stat

Edit: this is so my fuckin poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyYW1lKn6DQ

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Hell nope, i'm not playing jump scare alien games in vr.

There is a home brew VR hack of the original, I played it on my quest but bailed on it pretty early it was brutal

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gaz2k21 posted:

There is a home brew VR hack of the original, I played it on my quest but bailed on it pretty early it was brutal

I can play flight sims all day, but I can't even throw a flashbang around a door in Tactical Assault and clear a room without getting sea sick. Jump scare and first person walking around would ruin me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone who loves horror should definitely play Alien Isolation. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gaz2k21 posted:

I tried the VR mod for it and lasted about 10 minutes. Absolutely fries your nerves.