Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Ground floor... or DUNGEON FLOOR???

e: Also, extremely pleased to see how many of my shitposts made it into the OP, happy to be here, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hail to the king.

I’m saving this if my house catches on fire.

loving rules.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I had gone looking for a GIF in the old thread and stumbled on an old throwaway comment I had made where I posted this trailer, and asked if anybody had heard anything about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQWOoEraRA

It was over a year ago and I thought, yeah, this has to be streaming somewhere at this point, and naturally it's on Tubi. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and watch this one for the class.

He's Watching isn't a great movie. It's probably not even a good movie. What it is is charming and engaging in a really unusual way. The whole thing was filmed during COVID by a guy who works in Hollywood, using only his house, his family, and some of his close friends. The plot is relatively fast and loose; I don't think there's anything groundbreaking here, and nobody's going to win any awards for it. There are some really cool shots (lots of carefully edited shots through objects to make it look like a single take even when it's not), and a handful of scares that you'll probably see coming but are fun anyway. The whole thing feels too long, with large chunks of the movie taking a surrealist, dreamlike approach that doesn't do anything particularly new other than pad out a movie that you know the director felt close to and couldn't bear to trim.

Even with all that, the movie remains... surprisingly charming.

The first and most obvious strength is that the two main characters are the director's actual kids (since this was filmed over the COVID lockdown), and the sibling chemistry is perfect. The dynamic is reminiscent of what Shyamalan tried to do in The Visit, with a beleaguered older sister and a slightly annoying younger brother constantly testing her limits. But whereas The Visit's siblings still felt artificial (because it was), this one feels genuine and honest because it literally is. If you have siblings, you already know and recognize the unspoken chemistry of 'I am so sick of your poo poo but I also love you and we're still related so whatever', and that radiates through this movie. When the siblings are annoyed at each other, you can tell it's coming from a place of actual genuine annoyance, and it makes the performances so much more relatable and endearing because it's so naturalistic. There's a scene about a third of the way into the movie where the kids fight over a container of strawberries that is funny simply because it's probably the most realistic sibling interaction I've seen in a film in years.

Pictured: A fight over strawberries in the most sibling way possible

A lot rides on the acting of the kids, for better and for worse. The tradeoff is that for every moment that feels authentic and interesting (most of the quiet, understated ones throughout the movie), there's another moment where the acting is pretty bad and inauthentic (lots of the big emotional moments where it's clear the kids aren't professional actors). Again, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; I'm willing to sacrifice some of the emotional reactions in exchange for the authenticity of the performances, and I don't think this movie would have been as likable if it wasn't the guy's actual kids just being themselves in a horror situation.

Another aspect I really appreciate is the "set design" and props. I mean set design in the loosest sense of the word, because the movie is literally filmed in the guy's actual house, in the kids' actual rooms, and the house is a goddamn mess. There's clutter everywhere, objects sorta strewn around, art on every wall... the house is legitimately lived-in. It's a nice contrast to a lot of other movies where a house would be relatively organized or sanitized before being shown -- instead, you know this is their actual house, and some of this poo poo was just filmed as it lay. Nobody bothered to straighten up (or if they did, they didn't do an amazing job) and it gives a sense of place and disorder that helps ground the performances even more. The props and 'monster' design are the same way -- they're messy and a little sloppy, but authentically. If you were a monster who was messing with some kids in an abandoned house, of course this would be the spooky mask you make, you had to make due with stuff they already had around the house. The aesthetic and spirit reminds me of Gondry's Be Kind, Rewind and the Sweded films, where perfect representation isn't the point, it's more about the gung-ho attitude of 'let's just make something'. And that carries over to the whole movie -- the whole movie is bolstered and propped up by this sense of 'we're making a movie for fun, yay' that softens a lot of the harshest criticisms about the movie.

You never get the sense that the movie is destined for greatness, but you also don't get the sense that anyone involved thought it would be. It's pushed forward by sheer DIY gumption, and the fortunate luck that the director works in Hollywood and has both a camera and an editing suite. It's a little like watching your friend's movie that he filmed in high school; both of you knowing that you're not going to see anything groundbreaking, but there's a tacit acknowledgement that hey, we had fun here, maybe just enjoy the fun thing I tried to do. And in that respect, I think the movie succeeds.

The most obvious point of comparison here is Skinamarink. Both movies are about children alone in a house without adults, in the midst of something bigger happening around them. Both use the trappings of middle class youth (midwestern youth versus coastal youth, in this case) to give background to the characters and performances. Both movies have extended sequences in a dark or poorly lit house where objects thump and disappear, where shapes play against walls, and where you're supposed to spot the spooky thing in the background on your own. But whereas Skinamarink was too dedicated to the concept of dead space and 'nothing happening', it feels like the opposite reaction, where there was a fear that sitting too long on something might make the audience bored. This is valuable because it gives a reasonable middle ground for future filmmakers to aim for -- the willingness to let tension build in a shot of nothing, but not for so long that it becomes boring or tedious. If Skinamarink is a 'house-fi' film about minimalism, He's Watching is a house-fi film about maximalism, and trying to make every second interesting even when it doesn't need to be.

Am I telling you to watch it? Only if you're curious. I don't think it's an incredible movie by any stretch, but I don't regret watching it. I think the actual sibling dynamic is fun, and there's a handful of visuals that are pretty good, but I don't think you'll be missing out on a lot by having never seen it. I come down on the side that it's not a necessary or vital film, but I am glad it exists, and that it exists as a time capsule of a few weird months in 2020/2021.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

it's weird to me that him and Stephen King have never successfully collaborated, they seem cut from the same cloth

A Spielberg The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would be incredible.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally, decorations to make our haunted house a haunted home.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

lmao, Dark Night of the Scarecrow is loving BLEAK for a made for TV movie. Network TV used to go hard, drat.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

Any recommendations for recent (last 3 months or so) horror movies added to Shudder, Netflix or Paramount+?

Shudder has Unwelcome, Brooklyn 45, Huesera: The Bone Woman, all of which I thought were passible to good. Unwelcome especially is cheese good, if you're down for that today.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Holy poo poo they're doing another One Cu-- HOLY poo poo IT'S THE NEXT SENRITSU KAIKI

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

same question with Koji Shiraishi

Noroi: The Curse, definitely. It's probably his most accessible work in that everything insane he does seems to have germinated in Noroi.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've got Noroi on my watchlist already, but will his films appeal to someone with a general... ahem... distaste for found footage?

While you'll probably bounce off his other stuff, I think Noroi specifically will probably be OK because it's what I would call 'mixed' found footage -- there's the usual handicam stuff, but there's also news channel snippets, and sit-down interviews, and other stuff so that it's not the unending parade of shaky footage you'd normally get from FF.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

just came here to say i did not enjoy run rabbit run and i don't understand why it's popular on Netflix. is there that much of an audience for super slow sad vibes??

I bounced off that one too. Took me two days to finish it because the vibe was just so slow and the stakes felt so low that I just couldn't be bothered.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think they were going for a shock ending but it couldn't have been telegraphed larger if there was a blimp flying around with the ending spelled out

Hahaha, I had the exact same thought. The SHOCKING TWIST wasn't so much a twist as, 'Uhh, yeah, that's what the plot was saying, yep'. Absolutely shameful.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

breezed on into The Girl Next Door on a casual thursday night. don't make my mistake, that movie was absolutely hosed up

God, if only this post was one month in the future so it had a chance for being thread title.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Insidious: The Red Door is as dumb as you'd expect, be that a pro or con.

Thank you, now I'm excited for it.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Upcoming movie about a Big Foot worshipping cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D118asy-14

I'm loving there.

Looks dope, and this guy's comment just makes me want to see it more.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The people demand a Bigfoot movie where he hangs dong.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This was awesome.

Unrelated, but I'm rewatching the Price version of House on Haunted Hill, and now I'm angry that more movies don't start with the floating heads of their stars advancing towards the screen to deliver some rough exposition. It's so stupid but so tonally perfect that it loops back around to being awesome.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I wasn't really heavily invested in it but I'm watching Occult (2009) by Shiraishi and uh goddam I was not expecting the swerve in this film.

:catstare:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

New thread new chance to rep the Nippon GOATsu, so I bit the bullet and uploaded a Shiraishi gang tag we talked about last thread but never moved on. Next time any of you update your avs, be sure to toss it in if you're down with His Kojiness.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

winner fights Conjuring

Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Ethan Hawke, Lin Shaye, James Ransone, and Patrick Wilson again in...

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Who's the person in the red hat on the bottom row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrcDYvwV1Q

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

Secret character thats the real life Warrens. theyre a duo like the ice climbers and their special attack is calling you a demon and selling the rights to your life story

Alternate Warrens costumes are George and Kathy Lutz.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Around two years ago I actually slapped together my own horror fighting game roster, complete with some "DLC" (I just kept wanting to add people). Tried to make it all movies with a season of video game DLC. It was a total laugh so I didn't really think to make it balanced or anything even if I held back on the "base roster", and there are probably a ton of changes I'd make nowadays but gently caress it, it was fun. Was inspired by Terrordrome and MK's horror guests with a sprinkle of Dead By Daylight, natch.

I have a few particular favorites, but I rather enjoy the idea of Seymour basically playing like this cross between Phoenix Wright and Amingo, with him fighting-by-not-fighting as Kaiju-Audrey tries to kill him. Trash & The Tarman as the summoner character, etc.

Rules.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

[spoiler]When Gabriel showed up to recruit Josh to the Monster Squad and then Ed Warren came out of that portal[spoiler]

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

the technical term is dracula. he's a dracula.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A higher resolution pic of that guy:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Does the Darth Maul Insidious guy have a name?

The Man with the Fire in His Face

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Skrillmub posted:

It's actually a bundle of the five DreadX collection games, which are like horror anthologies. They gave a bunch of indie developers a few days to make a small spook and put them together into one game.
They're pretty good overall. The whole set for just a few bucks is a steal.

I can vouch, this is a steal for all the DreadX stuff. All the 'mini games' in each of them are generally pretty good (or at least creative), and the bundle would be worth it at quadruple the price. If you like short horror games and you haven't played these, I would strongly recommend jumping on this if you can.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

OK you're already hitting the classics with the AIP stuff, but don't forget to branch into the rest of Vincent Price's output. You need Dr. Phibes, you need Theatre of Blood, and you need The Monster Club, stat!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Finally got around to watching Infinity Pool and while I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, the scenes towards the end of Mia Goth shouting at a bus in a weird baby voice, and then getting drunk on the hood of a car during a death march and squealing in a godawful accent was loving hilarious.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm going to go on record as saying that I like Mark Duplass and that his TV show Room 104 was uneven, but I enjoyed the episode he was in where he played the reclusive musician who murdered his mom and buried her ALL OVER THE YARD, ALLLLL OVER THE YAAAARD, IT'S WHERE MY MEMORIES LIE, ALL OVER THE BACK YAAAAAARD, FIFTY PIECES OF MOMMY BURIED IN THE BACK YARD *strums guitar furiously*.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Its basic knowledge that you have to rub your Necronomicon with blood once every six months to keep it fresh.

Can't go out tonight babe, gotta lube up my Necronomicon.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I feel like such a fraud, how come it was only this evening that I heard about the wonders of...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I take it most people recommend Unwelcome?

How about Terror Train? Don't Panic?

Looking for a random horror movie to throw on. I was thinking of starting the Friday the 13th series but I mostly just love Freddy Kreuger for the camp and surreal poo poo so I'm not sure if I'm gonna really get into the series if it's more straightforward smash and slash.

Might watch the Collingswood Story, I started it a while back, got bored even if all the 2002 screenlife tech stuff was pretty charming. I have a pretty high tolerance for mediocre found footage tho now that I'm scraping the barrel. Just watched Grave Encounters and Exists which were both pretty forgettable.
Maybe I'll watch The Last Broadcast finally.

Yeah watch Unwelcome even if only to get to the final ten minutes of the movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm open to all sorts of stuff but if we choose to include a 'watch a movie from a country you've never seen a horror movie from', please give an alternate to that one because my rear end was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel trying to find a movie from a country I hadn't seen last October. I watch a lot of foreign movies, please be gentle to me, I'm getting into some really unwatchable stuff.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Horror movies, so good! Pop pop pop! Gang gang, very nice, horror movies, so good!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the real question though is there going to be a 6 6 6 gang tag that people can get.

If only there was some threadshitter who could orchestrate such a thing! :science::cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007