Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
F13 rankings are old and tired, ranking the Scooby-Doo movies is where it’s at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In this iteration of the thread, we go to a high rise military boarding school college with a rollercoaster in Vegas on a prison planet, where we get a hockey mask and train a group of troubled teens (including Leonardo DiCaprio) to fight Nazis, before we get put on trial for an urban harvest, all in 3D.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Deadite posted:

So far I’ve sold three pieces which beats my previous market record by three. People in Minnesota just aren’t in the market for what I make

Do you have an Etsy or something similar?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Flying Zamboni posted:

Gabriel is an unlockable character but he's tricky because all his controls are reversed.

Plays like Zappa from Guilty Gear.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Combination puppet/trap build, guide your assist character around the stage to plug in TVs with a short animation of the video. 7 seconds timer optional.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here are the horror films with the highest rating averages on Letterboxd, out of the 184 horror films on Netflix.

Here are the horror films with the highest rating averages on Letterboxd, out of the 6,692 horror films on Tubi.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
#1: Senritsu 1 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-01【口裂け女捕獲作戦】)
#2: Kudo's Secret
#3: Senritsu 2 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-02【震える幽霊】)
#4: To the other side
#5: Anna Ishibashi
#6: Senritsu 3 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-03【人喰い河童伝説】)
#7: Goodbye
#8: Senritsu 4 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!FILE-04【真相!トイレの花子さん】)
#9: Mystery Man
#10: Senritsu 5 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!劇場版・序章【真説・四谷怪談 お岩の呪い】)
#11: Her Brother
#12: Senritsu 6 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!史上最恐の劇場版)
#13: Shimokita
#14: Senritsu 7 (戦慄怪奇ファイル コワすぎ!最終章)
#15: Message from Beyond

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FueledBySatan posted:

Does Alan Wake count for the horror thread?

I'm playing it for the first time. Am I the only one that thinks the main voice-over sounds incredibly... trite and corny? It almost feels like it's on purpose, but I really don't think it is. People laud this game as one of their all-time favorite games, and the drat voice-over keeps jarring me out of the story. I will admit the actual game play and controls are better than other modern "play a movie" games like The Dark Pictures games and The Quarry.
It counts for the horror games thread. And yeah, the voice-over is that way on purpose.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I feel like such a fraud, how come it was only this evening that I heard about the wonders of...

Real admiration for the actors performing the exercises in the zombie make-up and funeral attire. I hope they got paid well for that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
‘What if Stephen King’s alcoholism gave his characters rhinophyma?’

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Crescent Wrench posted:

Another good one, for the May challenge I watched a pretty wild movie called The Fear (https://letterboxd.com/film/the-fear/) which has a rap theme song over the end credits about the antagonist, an evil, sentient wooden mannequin named Morty. It's on Tubi if you're hungry for some schlock. And guess what? There's a music video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvL6NyzdT5o
Plus Wes Craven has a small role in it as the Professor of Fear.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Special mention of Michael Sembello's "Maniac," even if it got repurposed for a non-horror film.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spermanent Record posted:

Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Bruce Coville’s Book of ____ (Monsters, Nightmares, Aliens, Ghosts, Magic, and Spine Tinglers) series are great for this. Each category has two books to it, and each book is a curated collection of short stories fitting the theme, with a nice variety of authors, though some of them do show up regularly. There’s contributions from Joe Lansdale, Jane Yolen, Terry Jones, Ray Bradbury, Michael Markiewicz, Neal Shusterman, and Al Sarrantonio (whose “Snow” still creeps me out), among others.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on found footage so hard now that I'm just checking out all the random cheap ones on tubi thinking I'll find some hidden gem.
Have you checked out The Fear Footage trilogy yet? Or anything directed by Isaac Rodriguez?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What are some horror movie posters/box art you think are great, for whatever reason of appeal?

I dig a lot about this design.
Skeleton as a containment unit? Rad.
The extra-pulpy art look of the woman framed in an open coffin? Great.
The way the skeleton's lifting of its crimson robe makes it look like it has an amazing shoulder-pad suit from the '80s?

:discourse:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And The Snorkel, which has some fantastic performances.

Such a shame that the studio wouldn't let them use the originally-intended ending.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I think I remember how that ends.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

I know that this is the only thing I ever talk about, but I just had a thought about the Senritsu Kaiki File series. Is it the best use of the series format of any horror movie series? Other horror movie series tend to start with an idea, and then future sequels try to do that idea again but bigger or in a new way or just the same again. But every Senritsu Kaiki entry adds more to the world, continues the story of our characters, slowly draws the shape of the horror, without ever over explaining or undercutting a previous entry.
I threw the idea ‘horror film franchises are bad’ at myself the other day, and Senritsu Kaiki was the top objection my mind threw back.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Fighting the system, maaaaan.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A movie trying to be so-bad-it's-good and succeeding? CarousHELL

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

Poor Pretty Eddie (1975) [946 ratings]
A jazz singer's car breaks down in the boonies, and her presence disrupts the existing tensions between the residents.

How to Make a Monster (1958) [932 ratings]
In this American International picture, American International Pictures gets bought out, unseating a master makeup artist with the studio's new focus on feel-good pictures. To fight back, he uses his monsters, with some special ingredients for the makeup keeping the actors from knowing what they're doing.

Remote Control (1988) [899 ratings]
A film called Remote Control has been released to the rental video market, taking over the minds of those who watch it. It's up to two video store employees to save the world.

Simon, King of the Witches (1971) [879 ratings]
Dramatic piece about people not taking a hippieish warlock seriously. Recommended for fans of The Love Witch.

Cthulhu (2007) [789 ratings]
A queer, apocalyptic, and Lovecraftian mystery/mood piece.

Hotel Fear (1978) [729 ratings]
A slow-boil war-time Italian thriller. The closest thing to WWII giallo I've seen.

The Noonday Witch (2016) [662 ratings]
Take The Babadook, imagine swapping its dark and confined aesthetic for one of being cooked to death under an unbearably bright sun in Czech farmlands, and you're in the right zone for this one.

Hannah, Queen of the Vampires (1973) [657 ratings]
A centuries-long revenge/romance/vampiric narrative tangle comes to a head in the 1970s.

Lace Crater (2015) [609 ratings]
A woman tries to cope with the strange symptoms she develops after having sex with a ghost. Contains trace amounts of mumblecore.

The Devil's Sword (1983) [543 ratings]
Totally wild Indonesian adventure involving sword lasers, Shaw Bros.-style themed fighters, subterranean hells, and more. A favorite of the Deadly Prey poster company's founder.

P.O.V. A Cursed Film (2012) [503 ratings]
Wonderfully creepy semi-mockumentary about a pair of idol-ish talk show hosts in Japan doing an episode about ghostly activities caught on video, and the increasingly blurred line between the viewer-submitted footage and their immediate surroundings.

Shanks (1974) [489 ratings]
Marcel Marceau (yeah, the mime) stars as a deaf and mute man whose scientist friend uncovers secrets of controlling corpse muscles, effectively turning them into puppets. When the scientist is killed, the technology becomes a tool of revenge.

Saint Bernard (2013) [481 ratings]
An arguably even more bizarre and hallucinatory trip from the director of Skinned Deep.

Pizza (2014) [310 ratings]
Maybe overly convoluted, but I enjoyed this blending of haunted house survival with Usual Suspects-ish perspective shifting.

Battle Heater (1989) [306 ratings]
A high-energy, playful, imaginative, and exuberant piece of bizarre Japanese horror comedy. Kind of like if Tetsuo The Iron Man had the warm and fuzzy friendliness of Hausu.

The Witch (1952) [293 ratings]
An accused witch is executed by a baron; 300 years later, her corpse is unearthed, the current baron's son mentions how he would give his soul to have a woman, and a strange woman appears in the corpse's place. Exploration of sexual politics in a 1952 Finnish film ensues.

The Devil's Machine (2019) [280 ratings]
A man and his daughter find their personalities being overwritten as the father attempts to solve the mysteries of a 300-year-old life-sized clockwork doll.

The Forgotten (2014) [257 ratings]
A heavily British undertaking of turning ghost story conventions on their head in a modern setting.

Soft Matter (2018) [170 ratings]
A goopy, wry, and decidedly low-budget mix of Lovecraftian gods, inept scientists, and graffiti artists. Kind of feels like a cousin to Psycho Goreman, but with a twee dose of Sorry to Bother You splashed in.

Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets (2017) [169 ratings]
A character from the original Yeti: A Love Story film has moved to the city, and is struggling with being a single father to his half-yeti son. But when his half-yeti son is kidnapped by a pimp with goals of a genetically-engineered yeti army, it leads on a quest of self-discovery and new love that will topple the corrupt local police department and get a yeti prostitute off of heroin.

Basically what you'd get if the impulses of a Chris Seaver film were given purpose and effort.

The Haunted House Project (2010) [144 ratings]
Did you like Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum? If so, watch this.

Synesthesia (2005) [98 ratings]
Kind of like a less visually experimental Japanese approach to the fragmented narrative style of Upstream Color. Yakuza, a man with synesthesia, and a serial killer named Picasso are some of the main players.

Talk to the Dead (2013) [84 ratings]
Part of the same cycle as The Crone and (Shiraishi's) Cult, this is a fairly standard technology-meets-supernatural J-horror film, but the execution (by the director of Ring 0 and Orochi: Blood) makes it an enjoyable ride through familiar territory.

And the Senritsu Kaiki File section:
Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! File 04: The Truth! Hanako-san in the Toilet (2013) [555 ratings]
The point at which this series really takes off.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Preface: True Story of the Ghost of Yotsua (2014) [419 ratings]
Feels like the point at which the protagonist team has fully spread their wings and launched themselves into the face of dangerous paranormal entities.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! The Most Terrifying Movie in History (2014) [388 ratings]
And the one to which the whole series (and Koji Shiraishi's filmography, if you wanna look at it that way) has been building.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter (2015) [321 ratings]
A transitional chapter in which we get to see how cameraman Tashiro engages with a supernatural mission in the absence of his directors.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

And the short films.

Belial's Dream (2017) [515 ratings]
Stop-motion creepiness in a tie-in to the Basket Case series from the director of The Cat with Hands.

Superpower Girl (2017) [505 ratings]
Girls' school bitchiness turns deadly when a formerly despised classmate develops strange powers.

Bag (2001) [467 ratings]
Silent Hill aesthetics cut loose from the reins of a concrete narrative; music by Akira Yamaoka.

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (1936) [440 ratings]
A creepy Poe adaptation by way of 1930s Italy, with some great visuals.

There It Is (1928) [404 ratings]
A Looney Tunes-ish send-up of haunted house mysteries, almost half a decade before The Old Dark House.

Lili (2019) [336 ratings]
A creepy casting director gets his comeuppance.

Bakemono (2019) [289 ratings]
Screwing around with traditions, and the consequences of doing so.

Ko-Ko's Haunted House (1928) [255 ratings]
Dave Fleischer pulls out the stops for an animated onslaught of Halloween imagery.

MJ (2018) [205 ratings]
Social media obsession turns violent, while avoiding the usual 'some gizmo' pitfalls.

The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About the Shivers (1984) [183 ratings]
An episode of Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre with Peter MacNicol, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, David Warner, and Frank Zappa! (I still think Jim Henson's The Storyteller told this story better, though.)

Mushroom (2001) [156 ratings]
Another piece of rampant Silent Hill imagery and Yamaoka audio.

Dudecreeps (2020) [128 ratings]
A creepy night at home shown from two perspectives.

Evil Heart (1985) [116 ratings]
A slumber party scary story of friendships turned sour and hospital nightmares.

Gregory Horror Show: The Nightmare Begins (1999) [99 ratings]
The first season of a Japanese show with a papercraft-via-CGI aesthetic, set in a hotel full of secrets, strange guests, and a dangerous caretaker.

Exit (2011) [64 ratings]
A somber, funereal piece of ritualistic nullification.

An Artistic Couple (1970) [47 ratings]
An elderly couple values art over life.

Trick 'r Treat: Sam's Gift (2020) [37 ratings]
A concentrated burst of Halloween energy in fan film form.

Nighthawks (2009) [7 ratings]
Vampyros lesbos, modernized.

Murderabilia (2012) [4 ratings]
An unsettling study of a man's acquisitive obsession over a piece of crime scene evidence.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
No, there's an art to jump scares, it's just that films cheap out on it too often.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

All of Are you Afraid of the Dark is on YouTube for free (officially)
Is that a Canada-only thing? I'm only seeing chunks of seasons, and the option to rent/buy from Paramount.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

No idea but see if This works
Yeah, seems to be.
Here's with a US IP:

With a Canadian IP, all the videos are visible.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I was told that Frankenstein vs. Baragon was terrible, and maybe it is, but also, it owns, I've been misled all these years

Edit: I'd like help with a project! I'm trying to make a list of Japanese films featuring classic Universal/Hammer style monsters. Your old-school style Draculas and Franks and Gillmen. Not any old vampire movies, specifically ones like those!

So far: Universal Monsters in Japan https://boxd.it/pgu8W
I think you might have comments locked on the list, but https://boxd.it/72yW is the sequel to The Invisible Man Appears. Well, loose sequel, in the way that most of the Invisible [Noun] films are barely connected.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ambitious Spider posted:

A Record of Sweet Murder would have worked a lot better for me without the gross sex stuff and assault. That said, if that kind of stuff isn't a deal breaker, or you can egt past it, it's a clever, one takeish Koji Shiraishi found footage. This kind of stuff doesn't pop up in his films often, but it's always off putting when it does.
It feels like he spared his other films and got a lot of it out of his system by making Chô Akunin, which is almost entirely that stuff.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

Watched Blades recently, and it kind of blew me away. My expectations for a killer lawnmower movie were pretty low, but the filmmakers stuck to their guns on making it follow the Jaws blueprints, and made it work very well.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For anyone looking to bulk up their October viewing options:
https://link.tubi.tv/FNdqv8u8rDb

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Naked Man Punch posted:

(Our categories are meant to be a little vague to make for some leeway and we try to avoid stuff we've already seen. For example: "Trick or Treaters" - we've watched all of the Halloween franchise and Trick R' Treat. So what else would go there?)
Hellions

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Your best bet is to sort whichever list of horror candidates you’re looking at on Letterboxd by popularity, then go to the end of it (don’t try to do this with a long list on the app) and start manually checking the number of reviews.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Topic of discussion between my friend group this evening, a few of whom are also watching horror movies for the month: is Eating Raoul a horror movie? I haven't seen it, and reading the description it seems to be about murder and cannibalism, but there's no horror tag anywhere on IMDB? Do I shun my friend for his genre-inappropriate choice, or do I add it to my watch list this month?
Robert Beltran's refusal to engage in union solidarity aside, there's nothing really horror about it. It's sort of like Edward Scissorhands or an Adam Rifkin film in just taking place in a weird reality that plays by its own rules.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They put small pastries on dolls.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m picturing him being thrown off the cliff.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Anyone know which hardcore band the killers go to see in August Underground?
The credits list Kaos FM as a special appearance, and also put them in the musical credits section, so probably them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

TheBizzness posted:

I just watched The Faculty for the first time, are there other good teen/highschool 90s horror movies besides Scream/I Know what you did last summer?
The Craft, Urban Legend, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Idle Hands, Tammy and the T-Rex, Disturbing Behavior, Popcorn, Dr. Giggles, Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest, Mirror Mirror, My Boyfriend’s Back, and Teenage Exorcist.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months
https://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=Honto%20ni%20Atta!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Should I maybe give that a shot? I’m not super into King, but I do love Liz Caplan.
Watch The Pitts first. You get Dylan Baker as a bonus, and you can find all seven episodes on Youtube.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, horror crew. I think I'm recovered from the challenge and I'm back in a horror mood.

The 70's is a weakness of mine. I know some of the big names, but I want to more. Especially of the Let's Scare Jessica to Death-style vibes stuff. The kind of movie where the credits are 4 solid minutes of some shots of a barn while someone plays acoustic guitar.
Skipping over stuff I'm sure you've already seen, my top-rated '70s horror film is Alice, Sweet Alice. Don't want to tell you anything going into it except that you probably won't dig it if Catholicism is part of your personal identity, and that no cats were actually harmed in the making of it. Stepping down slightly from there, there's Shanks, which stars Marcel Marceau as a deaf-mute puppeteer whose revenge on his hateful family gets a bit out of hand; Hotel Fear, which is almost more of an Italian drama than a horror, with WWII as a backdrop; Hannah, Queen of the Vampires, which is both deliriously 1970s and deliriously British; Poor Pretty Eddie, if backwoods Americans scare you, this will be a nightmare; and Hatchet for the Honeymoon, which is Mario Bava in 1970 playing with beautiful visuals and a first-person psychosexual mental break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skrillmub posted:

I'm not sure there is.
I watched the first three Tomies and lost steam there.
The first one is solidly OK.
The "second" one is a made for TV anthology that's watchable but still very made for TV.
The second feature film is like the Ringu sequels. It features characters who don't know anything about Tomie spending the whole movie discovering Tomie but the audience already knows all this so it's kinda pointless.

I'll watch the whole Tomie series and report back to the thread if someone can point me to somewhere to watch them with subtitles.
Got an email address for Tomie directions?