Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I’m sure it’s mostly garbage, but Fanatical has a horror game bundle, 50ish games for less than :tenbux: . Probably something worthwhile in there

It's actually a bundle of the five DreadX collection games, which are like horror anthologies. They gave a bunch of indie developers a few days to make a small spook and put them together into one game.
They're pretty good overall. The whole set for just a few bucks is a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: OFFICIAL QUERY :spooky:

As I've been trying to nail down a format for the October Challenge, I've started to get the feeling that having some challenges be rewatch eligible and others not is going to be needlessly complex especially when you add in the layer of meta challenges(i.e. "watch a movie from 5 different decades, etc etc). My instinct is that it will be confusing.

What I'm leaning towards is just saying that all challenges are rewatch eligible. Those that want to stick with new-to-them films will obviously be free to do so and those that want to mix in rewatches can do that as well. It might be fun to have an extra little rule that if you rewatch something, part of your write up has to be about how you reacted to that film in this particular viewing compared to past viewings.

Thoughts? Is that something that would take a lot of the juice out of the challenge for some people, if the rules didn't force you to watch new stuff? My feeling is that a certain amount of freedom and flexibility is always important for the challenge but obviously the rules are a big part of what makes it fun too. So if there's a strong majority either way I'm happy to go with it.

I think adding an extra requirement for rewatches is a good idea, because it brings some extra flavour to the thread. A few weeks in every post kind of looks the same and it gets a bit stale.
I don't think anyone actually takes the October challenge or the bingo challenges so seriously you can't allow more flexibility. It's just a time to talk about a lot of movies you've seen. Anyone who feels proud of how many movies or challenges they completed does so in a personal way and no one ever gets into a slap fight about being the most best movie watcher.

Also, David Lynch is elevated horror before someone decided a spook without sexy teens needed a special name.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I hate every Hellraiser movie past 2. I’ve never been more miserable watching a film series in my life

I'm doing a rewatch of Hellraiser right now and you're 100% right. I knew it would be hard but I forgot how loving dire this series is.
Hellworld is on right now and it's like a breath of fresh air. At least it's trying to be fun.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't have any children, so whether it's my accumulated life experience, my relationship with my nieces and nephews, or some kind of time release parental instinct, I dunno.

Anyway, Talk to Me was really good! One thing I wasn't clear on was did the protagonist jump onto the highway herself, or was she pushed or something? I'm pretty sure she jumped, but I don't know what doing so would accomplish, aside from an attempt to just escape the whole situation.

My take on the ending was she was choosing to kill herself instead of the boy. She's been possessed since the first time, when she went over the time limit by a couple seconds. The ghosts are manipulating her into killing the boy so they can have him forever and then kill herself in guilt over that, giving them her as well. She is probably not aware that killing herself will let them keep her. It's a great "You're all hosed" ending.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I liked We're All Going to the World's Fair, but I liked it a lot more before I realized it was just about being sad on the internet.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Were there any decent horror anthologies from the past few years aside from VHS 94 and 99? I saw The Mortuary Collection but that was like 3 or 4 years ago already.

Tiny Cinema.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I need some good Monster Mashes for the challenge. I may just rewatch FvJ since I don't think I've seen it since 2003, or I might do Glass if that counts. I can't think of anything else, at least nothing that's on any of my streams

Sadako vs. Kayako is a surprisingly decent movie. Very on brand finale.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

She didn't do anything wrong in that though :question:

No one who tries to fry an egg like this can be called right.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months

Besides anything Koji Shiraishi makes, there's POV: A Cursed Film, Gonjiam Haunted Asylum, and The Bridge Curse.
All three are pretty much pure Asian curse "you did the wrong thing, sorry, you die" films.
Ju-on is the same vibe without found footage. The whole series is worth watching. The first two Ju-on: The Curse movies are maybe skippable, but they're short.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If you're mentally able to divorce it from the rest of the series entirely, Michael Myers in the original Halloween has way, way, WAY more personality than the mindless killing machine role that popular memory has committed him to. The subsequent movies just immediately abandoned his childlike innocent qualities and basically let Jason run whole hog with it.

In the first one Michael Myers even has like, a plan and a specific goal, to leave a message to the world using his sister's tombstone and a victim's corpse on display. The way I read it is he's trying to explain why he killed his sister, but regardless, throughout the movie it's apparent Myers does in fact have an inner life and isn't actually the empty vessel for evil that the mad doctor Loomis believes he is.

Michael Myers, the unknowable psycho who uses his sister's tombstone as a setpiece in his killing spree is so much more interesting than Michael Myers the guy who just really, really needs to kill his family. As soon as he's Laurie's secret brother there's no fear that this could happen anywhere for no reason.
The first Halloween is an absolute classic that could only ever work once. Sitting in a theatre in 1978, watching this guy stalk these girls, listening to that music build and build and being scared of what would happen... and then it does and it keeps happening and he's posing the victims to make it worse and he's using the tombstone as a decoration and then he's shot and falls out a window but he's just GONE, you can't recapture that.
They should have listened to Carpenter and let the series be different every time. That would actually have allowed creative people to capture the same vibe again.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

One of the potential scripts was a realistic Jason on trial for his crimes. Over the course of courtroom drama they discover that Freddy was his step-father or something and abused him and also somehow became a demon in his head that made him kill people.
It was awful. It poo poo all over both franchises.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/Files/jason-vs-freddy-bm-script.pdf
Read it yourselves, it's not good.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

That's just Slashers but in English and with the internet stapled to it.

Also, like 100 other murder game show stories.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone who likes Evil Dead needs to go watch May the Devil Take You right now. It's like Evil Dead but with character development.
It has one of the most amazing practical effects shots I've ever seen.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Okay, but... who wants that?

Evil Dead is perfect the way it is, not saying character development is needed.
May the Devil Take You is a slower movie but all the spooks are Evil Dead and fantastic.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Nightmare 2 could have been a good movie, except it's a Nightmare on Elm Street with almost no dreams.
There's 2 or 3 in the beginning while Jesse is getting possessed and then everything happens in the real world. The whole leather bar/shower room sequence is all in the real world, and somehow now Freddy, the guy who kills you in your dreams, can turn on super hot showers and throw balls around a room.
Freddy's tongue comes out of Jesse's mouth while he's awake. Freddy bursts out of Jesse in Grady's room and kills him while he's fully awake.
The party scene is all in the real world. Freddy can disappear at will, burst out from the bottom of a pool and summon flames.
They go to the boiler room Freddy worked (?) at, and there's guard dogs with kid faces and monster rats, all in the real world.
It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even know what the first movie was.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Typical. I spend years fruitlessly trying to convince even a single other human soul to watch X-Cross, but a bit of thoughtlessly tossed off praise for Night Creatures moves mountains.

I watched X-Cross because someone in the horror thread recommended it, so you did get at least one person.
X-Cross is great. Pure Japanese horror fun. Everyone should watch it. It's free on Tubi!

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I had a hankering for some reason to watch some Hellraiser, checked on Prime and holy poo poo there are like ten films or something like that.

Can anybody give me the rundown on which of these are worth watching?

I know the first is a classic, of course. The only other one I remember is the one where the Cenobites appear in a club, and carnage erupts.

1 and 2 are great. The new reboot is very good.
3 tries to make the series like every other horror movie. It has its charm, but it kinda takes itself too seriously for a movie with a demon with CDs in his face and when he open his mouth he shoots CDs at you.
4 had some good ideas but got destroyed by studio interference.
5 is a bad Jacob's Ladder ripoff.
6 is a bad ripoff of a bad Jacob's Ladder ripoff.
7 has a mildly interesting idea that it doesn't have the budget for.
8 is a terrible movie very stuck in its time but if you're watching them all in a row it's a breath of fresh air. It at least remembers movies should be somewhat entertaining.
They just didn't make a 9, it's weird.
10 has some ideas, isn't the worst but doesn't understand what Hellraiser is.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I finally saw Terrifier 2 and it rules.

I try to stay away from glib interpretations, but there's some kind of metaphorical relationship between Art and Sienna's abusive dad, right? The whipping scene is pretty on-the-nose (honk honk).

I don't remember Sienna's dad being called abusive. He committed suicide and was up to something strange at the end of his life. I thought it was implied he had somehow found out about Art and whatever thing he is.
Didn't her dad set it up for her to get that sword?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I thought the same regarding art as her dad, and Dameon has a post saying something about it.

I trust

Welcome to the art club tho

I must have missed that. I guess the implication is her dad became Art. Not sure I like that, your hero doesn't have to be traumatized to be strong.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I didn't get that at all, the dad becoming Art. He was obsessed with Art and how Art became Art, but his story sounded more of the sad hermit who collected all the facts for the heroine to connect. Like, he tried to find ways to stop Art but it just wasn't the right time and the right place. And he wasn't the right person, and it drove him to suicide.

His daughter's traumatized either way.

I like this idea better.
I didn't really use enough words to say what I meant. She's traumatized by her father's death, of course. I mean the hero doesn't need to be the villain's child to be strong or her journey to have meaning. She can just be a strong person who can both get through the death of her dad and kick the gently caress out of Art.
It just kinda feels like too often a woman hero needs to get through some poo poo to be strong. Just let her be the chosen one.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

As someone who turned off the original Exorcist after half an hour because it was boring, I'd like to say the new Exorcist movie is fine. Hell, it's pretty good, really.
Someone of the bits feel a bit rushed, or a bit average but there's plenty to like.
That very very last scene was kinda fan service bullshit. Maybe that's what got everyone so mad.

What did everyone want? That felt like a modern day movie about a little girl(s) getting possessed to me.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Scream 3
Texas Chain Saw Massacre 3
Child's Play 3
V/H/S 3

The Exorcist 3 is on my list, I'll get to it soon.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Not really horror, but are there any computer games that are good adventure games anymore?

I realize that games that are primarily story and adventure went away because those elements get folded into FPS games these days. But I miss just working through an adventure and revealing an interesting story without having to shoot or fight.

Certain movies make me realize how much I miss pure adventure games. For example, The Silence of the Lambs. It would be a perfect adventure to play through as Clarice. There is an involved story with different layers. There are different questgivers including Crawford and Lecter.

There are critical quest items like the head in the jar, the cocoon or the case file, that either reveal further clues or open different parts of the story as the story progresses, or get transformed in critical ways like the case file with Lecter's notes.

Are there any games like this anymore that are all story and don't really require action and shooting? Especially if they are spooky or horror oriented?

Dude, adventure games blew up again like 10 years ago and haven't gone away.
I don't actually like them so I can't recommend. Look up Fran Bow on Steam, that's a spooky old school adventure game. Then go down the rabbit hole of games similar to this. You'll find plenty.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I noticed the new Hell House llc has good reviews. As someone who remembers enjoying the first one, but forgot everything about it. Is it worth just watching the new one? Should I rewatch the original? Were the other 2 sequels worth watching at all?

I've seen the first and the second was on in the background one day and didn't feel like I was missing anything for the new movie.
There's some kind of lore in there for the big fans but it's not like it continues a story.
Also, it kinda felt like the worst found footage tropes to me. A whole lot of tension that didn't pay off.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is a very subjective question but are there are GOOD adaptations of Junji Ito's work? I did not really enjoy the Netflix animated series that just came out; the animation was pretty crap and the pacing was way too frantic.

Are any of the live action films worth watching? I saw there's like a dozen Tomie movies, and I really enjoyed those original comics.

I'm not sure there is.
I watched the first three Tomies and lost steam there.
The first one is solidly OK.
The "second" one is a made for TV anthology that's watchable but still very made for TV.
The second feature film is like the Ringu sequels. It features characters who don't know anything about Tomie spending the whole movie discovering Tomie but the audience already knows all this so it's kinda pointless.

I'll watch the whole Tomie series and report back to the thread if someone can point me to somewhere to watch them with subtitles.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never really "got" Uzumaki, but I loving love the look of that.

For the record, I generally respect his style, it's just none of his poo poo scares me personally. I wind up leaving hungry in terms of spookiness. Very glad other people like it though ; I just can't make myself afraid of being compelled to insert myself into a super thin crack in a cliff face or whatever.

Have you read the Ms Fuchi stories? I usually say it's just a piece of paper, it's not actually scary, but I find her very disturbing.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Got an email address for Tomie directions?

Awesome!. It's just my dumb internet name at google mail.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I had to google to confirm, but yeah. The creepy model that’s a monster and eats the dudes making a movie in the woods, right? I’ve read a bunch of them, and I go in trying to give ‘em a fair shake.

I like the art, but it just doesn’t get the ol’ spook motor purring for whatever reason.

That's her.
I get it, it's hard to generate a real spook with a book. You can easily set your own pace, environment, or headspace. Authors have so little control and so few tools compared to directors

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Darthemed was kind enough to point me towards where the Tomie movies can be seen, so here's my thoughts about the first in the series.

I have seen the first one before but I did not remember a single thing about it. I think I may have mixed it up with the second one, we'll have to see when that one gets its turn.
Tomie 1 is a very slow burn. It's really not even clear what the plot is for pretty much the whole movie. There's a young woman with amnesia. There's a detective obsessed with finding out about a mysterious girl called Tomie. There was a guy in a band who... uh... was there? None of it ever really fits together.
But, when Tomie finally does appear, drat is she good. She's so mean for no reason. And the actress that plays her does so in a very other-worldly way. She really doesn't feel like a human. She's inscrutable. But not in an obvious serial killer kind of way, more like an alien ghost. I wanted to call this low-rent Audition but it came out first, so maybe Audition is a high-class Tomie.
There is also a twist that... isn't especially good. It's kind of obvious and kind of pointless.
I liked the movie more than I remembered but I also can't call it good. Tomie is excellent. Tomie's movie is... meandering.

I do give it lots of points for adapting Tomie in a good way. They didn't just copy everything from the manga. They did a true film adaptation of the idea.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I watched Tomie: Another Face tonight and I think it might be better than the first one.
It's a three part anthology made for TV a year after the first movie. The anthology format works a whole lot better for Tomie. It matches her whole seduce, abuse, get murdered cycle.
This one sticks to the manga version of Tomie instead of whatever they were trying to do with the first movie. I liked that they tried to adapt the idea, but it didn't really work. Another Face is low budget and constrained by TV standards but feels like Tomie.
Every segment is another man for Tomie to ruin, instead of the weird mystery the first movie tried.
It doesn't get really going until the second segment. Tomie is actively threatening now and there are a couple minor spooks.
The third segment ties everything together, gives some lore on Tomie and has a pretty good ending.
The actress who plays Tomie this time isn't as good as the first movie, but she does well enough. I actually thought she did pretty well with different aged Tomies.
If you want an adaptation of the manga, I'd say start here instead of the first film.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

No but seriously cant someone do a information post on what movies have been made that are based on Ito is it only the Tomie films that have been made?

For live action film there's 9 Tomies, Uzumaki, Kakashi and Tomio.
I remember not liking Uzumaki but that was before I read the manga.
I haven't seen Kakashi or Tomio. I'm not even really clear what Tomio is, I think it's a script written by Junji Ito and is either a male Tomie or somehow related to Ju-on?
There's some made for TV anthology stuff as well that I'm not familiar with at all.
They made an anime of Gyo and a couple anthology collections. The Netflix show was OK, I've heard the other anime anthology is bad.
They've been making an anime version of Uzumaki for at least five years now. It's looking very promising and might actually come out soon.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie: Replay
Again, a lot better than I remember. This is the last on I've seen so this will be the last time I say that.
It starts off a bit too slowly, with a mystery plot that isn't interesting and some side plots that go nowhere. Tomie shows up right away, and does the exact thing you'd expect Tomie to do.
But as the movie goes on it does some interesting things and has some good spooks. It starts to play with the idea that Tomie can control people's minds, which I don't remember happening in the manga. It's a good expansion of what she is and gives the movie some good scares. There's also some pretty good special effects.
The worst part of the movie, unfortunately, is Tomie herself. They didn't get a good actress this time, she's not even prettier than anyone. She also doesn't have a lot to do until the very end and then it's just obvious villain stuff.

So, do they not lock the door to the roof in Japan? It seems like every Japanese movie I've seen has a roof scene.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Re-birth
This is my favourite Tomie so far. There's no mystery, Tomie just shows up in some people's lives and is a horrible poison.
This is exactly what I want from a Tomie adaptation. Let her be pure evil. Let he act like she knows what she is.
She's so menacing in this movie, and without even having a weapon. She just is in front of someone and they know they're hosed.
I like that it also explored a couple ideas of what Tomie can do to women. It's cool, she doesn't have the power to attract women but she sure can manipulate them to get what she wants.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Fobidden Fruit
I don't hate this movie, but I don't think I like it.
It's kinda all over the place. The story just keeps on going. It crams a lot of stuff into an hour and a half and seems like it's in a rush to finish every idea.
Tomie isn't especially good this time around. She's mean, but not really evil.
It seemed like the forbidden fruit might be a gay relationship between Tomie and a teenage girl, but that was just one scene. Their relationship goes through some weird stages but I don't think it's supposed to be gay. That would have been an interesting idea to explore with Tomie.
There are a few interesting moments and images. At one point there's spooky music that sounds like Silent Hill. It just kinda looses anything interesting by the end. I doesn't even let the new idea of how to defeat Tomie work.
I give this movie a few extra points because the father works in the ice factory.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

That's some bullshit about Scream 7. I like New Sidney. I was looking forward to seeing her stab another Ghostface 50 times.

Tomie Beginning
More like Tomie Boreginning.
This one's bad.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Glad to see the quality of this film series has stayed consistent.

Tomie 6 is a big drop in quality from all the others. I wouldn't call any of the previous films good, but there's something in each one worth seeing. Beginning has nothing to redeem it.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I had a whole fantasy about what I wanted Scream 7 to be and now it's not possible.
Since each movie from the new trilogy called back on the respective original trilogy movie, I wanted them to take tape Randy's line of "The killer is supernatural" and go loving wild.
Start the movie out like a normal Scream, but before Ghostface kills whoever, New Sidney shows up and kills him. We then find out she's been hunting potential Ghostfaces and stopping them before they make their movie (or whatever).
There's been a rash of country wide Ghostface copycats for some reason, there's some hunky FBI agent or something to play off of, the sister can be there or not, who really cares. Then at the end of the second act she goes to stab a Ghostface and he just loving ghosts out of reality and kills his victim.
Go full New Nightmare and have the primordial spirit of fear like Ghostface and he's been manipulating everyone into doing their whole thing and he's pissed that New Sidney has been stopping it. In the end she has to make some kind of totally not in the script sacrifice to stop Proto-Ghostface.
It would explain why so many people think they're going to be the Ghostface that wins. Ghostface always dies, why the gently caress are you copying him?
It would make zero dollars but I would be happy.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Revenge
Not quite as bad as Beginning.
There are some ideas here. Tomie can officially multiply now. Apparently a Tomie spawn hates the Tomie original, which could have been interesting.
There's a bunch of Tomie obsessed weirdos. They don't do much and are bad actors, but it's an interesting idea. Tomie having an army could be a good movie.
There's a throwaway line that the forest is full of infinite Tomies. I would have liked to see that.
Tomie herself is probably the worst one. She's only there for like 15 minutes and she can't act.
I really wish instead of making two Tomie movies at the same time they just made one with a decent budget. It worked for Ju-on but that's so much easier. Tomie needs at least a good Tomie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There’s a tomie movie??? Like Junji Ito Tomie??

Yes, there are 9 movies based on Junji Ito's Tomie.
I've been watching them and posting my thoughts in the thread.
So far only #4 is actually good. The rest are OK, with 6 a real low point.