Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Holy poo poo lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Watching Unfriended on my PC monitor when it came out really enhanced the experience for me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Night Flier punches above it's weight as far as investigation horror flicks go.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For some reason as a little kid I loved watching TCM and AMC, I guess I thought it made me more mature or something but it ended up getting me hooked on awesome old stuff like Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and The Omega Man.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

We should bring Jason into the more modern era and have him doing something like chopping up a bunch of jerkwads at a thinly concealed Fyre Festival type event.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

As long as the setting is cool you can give me the most thin of plot reasons for Jason being somewhere.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

weekly font posted:

I thought I was the only person brave enough to have this opinion

Count me on the train too. Savini nailed it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Only movie I ever walked out of was Hope Springs (2012). Meryl Streep trying to give Tommy Lee Jones head in a theater was my breaking point on that one.

The near cunnilingus in ReAnimator was more erotic.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Go back to arguing which Friday the 13th film is the best (It's Jason X) and less about Florence Pugh , her boobs, and her career in Hollywood

Part V is very very good. Probably towards the top of the power rankings.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jason Goes to Hell is bizarre because apparently they wanted to make a more "grown-up" movie by casting mostly people in their thirties and older, but too much is cartoonish and nobody behaves like a real person.

EDIT: Also, am I misremembering or are the FBI agents actually in a circle around Jason at the beginning? How did they avoid shooting each other?

That's such an insane scene though they eventually cut back and show the FBI are in a semi-circle in front of Jason. But then guys are coming in on ropes out of trees, there's a mounted machine gun and a finishing blow artillery strike on Jason.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I barely think of Part 8 as a Friday the 13th movie and it improves my enjoyment of it and I gotta agree that it looks awesome.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would be shocked if the next F13 or ANoES movie didn't have a post credits stinger teasing the crossover to gauge audience hype. It's been 20 years since the last FvJ so it might be due another crack in some fashion.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Engagement post of the day on Bluesky was "What is the best part three of a horror franchise?" and drat, there are some bangers to pick from:
  • Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead
  • Purge: Election Year

This is a mega tough call between Exorcist 3 and Day of the Dead.

I think I have to give it up to Exorcist 3. No one in those other movies is holding a candle to what George C Scott and Brad Dourif are putting down.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, if it's best kill in the entire series, bed blood fountain and Welcome To Primetime Bitch are the solid gold classics.

Blood fountain all the way.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was so hype for End of Days when it came out. I still kinda like it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

While we're at it I'll show some love to The Sixth Day. It's such a weird/funny sci-fi romp.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Crossposting from pyf

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've been watching shuffled up episodes of a bunch of horror anthology series while I clean the house and uh, have I been sleeping on the first Twilight Zone reboot? Some of the episodes are sappy but I really liked The Beacon.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGeC880CYw

another trailer for The Exorcist: Believer dropped. parts of this look great but i'm still suspicious

This is gonna absolutely kill with the casual audience. Love it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm genuinely curious how that fan theory explains Halloween being a movie in the Halloween 3 universe.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I am so ready for the season.

And the Monster cereals are on the shelves by me. There is a new addition so we'll see how that one is.

I wasn't really impressed with the new monster cereal flavor, I've yet to bust into the box of monster mash. But Count Chocula is as on point as ever thankfully.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I bet if you took the Monster Mash mix and do it up rice crispy treat style it would look awesome. I might have to do that before it leaves the shelves.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

They need to bring back pumpkin spice frosted flakes.

They did.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Time for the gritty re-imagining of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... Charlie Bucket OF BLOOD.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

*Jigsaw puppet dressed like Willy Wonka wheels in*

"Grandpa Joe, you stole fizzy lifting drinks, I'd like to play a game..."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The pastel halloween collection at Michael's this year is very much my poo poo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I absolutely love the haunted houses with folks jumping out and crap. One of the coolest rooms I remember going through in one you would press through some inflatable bumpers, on the other side you were still being pressed on by the bumpers from the waist down but there were only strobe lights and it looked like you were wading through a room filled with body parts. The actors were wailing and flailing around. It was bad rear end and super freaky. It felt like walking through one of the Hell scenes from Event Horizon.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mmm, Ice Cream Man so good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

I haven't seen:

FRANKENHOOKER, Frank Henenlotter, 1990
BODY PARTS, Eric Red, 1991
THE RAPTURE, Michael Tolkin, 1991
DUST DEVIL, Richard Stanley, 1992
WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK, Fred Walton, 1993

Anyone want to make a pitch for me to try to squeeze any of these in during October?

Body Parts is awesome/bonkers and has one of the best scenes ever put to film. Also Brad Dourif is in it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

A bible verse displayed on screen in the opening, then a voice-over about the verse, then more about the devil story in voice-over and in-scene conversation. It's OK, but honestly treats the audience as incapable of understanding THIS IS THE MESSAGE, PLEASE GET THE MESSAGE

I remember seeing Devil with some friends that didn't really watch horror and they were blown the gently caress away lol. I'm glad they had a great time but it was really not great.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nash and Gallows? This match is gonna have such poo poo workrate

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ugh am I gonna have to give a poo poo about the Saw franchise.

Just find a highlight reel and you'll be fine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jeepers Creepers 2 happened to be on a stream and man this movie is turds. Anything not involving the monster is so dull.

And as always, gently caress Victor Salva that loving monster.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s not like nobody making these films knew. If you look up the details of his crimes you’ll see how blatant and public it was.

And once you know that poo poo just jumps off the screen at you. "Ah yeah there's this horrible monster that hunts and devours young men... gently caress."

The scene where the Creeper rips it's own head off is extremely cool though, props to the effects team that worked on that one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Tobin Bell is a much better horror villain name anyway

Edit: it’s like how Roddy Piper’s real name was Roderick Toombs but he didn’t go with that for his wrestling name

And Ricky Steamboat was Richard Blood if I remember right? What a dope name.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Luke, you didn't appreciate the life you had on Tatooine and your loving aunt and uncle. Now they are dead and your selfishness left you alive... I'd like to play a game..."

*Death Star trash compactor closes in*

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are there many/ any films that have it both ways? Like you think you're watching a demon film set on a boat (are there any of these, seems like a solid idea tbh) but then it's like, psyche, just a killer shark.

But then the film's like, double psyche, and the mermaids attack.

It might be cheating since it's an anthology but Trick r' Treat kinda does this with the werewolf reveal?

You think it's a vampire, it's really a serial killer, omg werewolves!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sleepaway Camp 2 had a VHS cover that really captured little me's imagination. Imagine my disappointment when I finally saw it as an adult.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is that the one with a knife going through the heel of a shoe? And the backside is a letter of a camper to their parents talking about how scary it is and they need to get out of the camp and wait I hear something behind me...*blood droplets*

That's the first one, which is a banger.

This one is like, "Whoa! A babe with the Jason mask and Freddy claw, I bet this poo poo gets buck wild!"

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You watched a movie that kicked rear end?!

Don't get me wrong, it's fine! But it does not live up to what the mind of a ten year old conjured up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I was a remarkably dumb kid in a lot of ways and would take things very literally. Some kid at school told me the movie The Untouchables was about aliens that possessed people to do crimes (hence they were 'untouchable') and I asked my parents to rent the movie for me. The next time I saw him I kept asking where the drat aliens were and he admitted he mixed it up with some other movie (which I think might have been the Tommyknockers, since he also talked about green lights a lot).

There's some stuff as a kid you can never really replicate as an adult. My friend just telling me the plot and what happened in Event Horizon on a dark car ride through the country was a thousand times more scary than the movie ended up being.