Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need like 100x more found footage to come out every year. I feel like it has so much untapped potential. I'm just scraping the bottom of the barrel watching cheap random ones on prime at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I wanna see a horror movie made by Martin McDonagh
Well all his films already horrify me so it'd probably be cool as long as it wasn't too racist

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Coen Brothers doing a horror movie would be interesting.
Them doing anything together again would be great. Not too high on Solo Joel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Koji Shiraishi is awesome and you need to watch as much of his stuff is possible

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Where can I actually find any of it?
Noroi should be on Shudder, Occult is on YouTube, A Record of a Sweet Murder is on one of those childishly named free things called teevee or freevee

The rest are on like a Google doc whose link I gotta dig back up (maybe someone remembers the community? It was one guy doing translations for em), but those are good starting points with Shiraishi.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A Record of a Sweet Murder is on one of those childishly named free things called teevee or freevee
Correction, its on "tubi" and "vudu"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Martman posted:

Was not super into it either. I kept waiting the whole movie for Madison to come back with something like "I told you I was a girl scout, bitch," but then her return came way too late and just felt like an afterthought.

It felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted the villain to actually be relatable or just crazy and she ended up being an unfortunately boring middle ground.
Agreed with all of this. Thought it was okay/fine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

New thread new chance to rep the Nippon GOATsu, so I bit the bullet and uploaded a Shiraishi gang tag we talked about last thread but never moved on. Next time any of you update your avs, be sure to toss it in if you're down with His Kojiness.
🙏

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but that's the best part.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think for me it goes Occult > Noroi > Cult
Still need to finish Senritsu and figure where I put those, think I'm on The Most Terrifying Movie in History.

Just finished the short story so I'm about to give 1408 another try. I remember seeing it in theaters ages ago and just finding it mediocre.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite part of Occult will always be the unexpected role of Indiana Jones.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.
Does The Happiness of the Katakuris count as horror? Id say so, although its as much comedy musical...Def one of my top 5 favorite films period and an all-time comfort film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puen3HM_5l4

It also has some all time bangers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought the two Creep movies were fun just as cringe found footage, not amazing but solid. I was almost disappointed with the first one when he actually kills the guy at the end

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it was a fun little line that was enough for me considering it's a fairly silly movie anyway

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I take it most people recommend Unwelcome?

How about Terror Train? Don't Panic?

Looking for a random horror movie to throw on. I was thinking of starting the Friday the 13th series but I mostly just love Freddy Kreuger for the camp and surreal poo poo so I'm not sure if I'm gonna really get into the series if it's more straightforward smash and slash.

Might watch the Collingswood Story, I started it a while back, got bored even if all the 2002 screenlife tech stuff was pretty charming. I have a pretty high tolerance for mediocre found footage tho now that I'm scraping the barrel. Just watched Grave Encounters and Exists which were both pretty forgettable.
Maybe I'll watch The Last Broadcast finally.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I get as much thrill from hearing Brandon cronenberg is involved with something as I get from Joe Hill's name (shout out to The Black Phone lol), but I did like Possessor so it's on my to-do list.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Had a lot of fun with Unwelcome, the whole runtime really. Definite recommend. Good silly horror, I appreciate how cartoonish it got. love those little fuckers, their stupid voices, dancing, and the fact that they can and do die/get absolutely wrecked...lmao at the bearded one at the end just being like "wooo mother redcap!!!" like his team just scored a touchdown. Talk about a (one of many) lame rear end horror movie husband tho.
Really I'm calling bullshit on the redcap deal tho. You fuckers didn't solve the problem!!! You ran away once a gun came out!!! Well, I guess they did cover corpse disposal, and one baby is a fairly reasonable tip in Europe. :hmmyes:
All in all not too bad in terms of elf deals. Could've been worse, they could've been the creepy Strange and Norrell kind that just keep inviting you to their terrible parties and kickbacks.

Shouldve ended with her staring straight at the camera and going "It's good to be the mama."

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 17, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:zpatriot:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

based on a "viral twitter thread" really doesn't have the same cache as "a true story"
Yeah, Zola was okay...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The woman hating clown scares me :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just keep the final destination sequels coming, who could want more saw
Maybe if they replaced jigsaw with a woman hating clown

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched Spree and had a lot of fun. Maybe weak here and there but it's funny and the internet comments make the film.
Also just quotable in general.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finishing Grave Encounters 2 just now just makes me want to rewatch The Descent to wash the taste of bad out of my mouth. Hell it made me wish I was watching House on Haunted Hill 99. Are we even sure that movie is bad bad because I feel like plenty of horror movies come out every year that wish they had scenes as fun as the creepy revolving chamber thing or the surgery scene, plus...stacked cast. I haven't seen it since I was a lil kid so it's probably just that but maybe it's time for zoomer film dorks to "reclaim" it.
I knew GC2 would suck too, im just a desperate masochist scraping for the last bits of found footage like a delicious rat in a haunted asylum. I mean the first Grave Encounters was pretty mediocre anyway.
How do you have a main character that obnoxious and stupid and not have him die a painful death unless Grave Encounters 2 really was just directed by an Alex if you get what I mean. Like gently caress you movie for just having him beat his love interest to death who he was already lovely to all the time and then have him give a stupid smile at the end of the film. Dude should've been ripped apart, I was rooting for Sean/Lance over him.

I appreciated some of the meta stuff and I guess the extra sense of humor and absurdity (there were actually some decent gags about the original and about horror in general) but wow talk about two movies that get blown out of the water by Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum effortlessly in almost every way.
It's funny that they have the crooked producer guy imply that some of the "corny effects" of the original were put in afterwards but then this sequel had the same stupid boring :geno: stretchy face ghosts. So I'm just watching like the bad film edit of the film in the film I guess??? Cool. Fun way to explain why your movie blows. Maybe GE2 is secretly genius.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 24, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm 99% sure my love for the original made me see Descent 2 at some point but I can't remember a second of it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So we've got two goons saying Becky is...good???
Can I get another amen?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I actually walked out (i do this a lot more lately cuz i have moviepass) of Talk to Me cuz I felt like I wasn't understanding all the dialogue. Maybe 80% of it but still, it seemed cool so I wanted to wait for streaming and closed captions.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
RIP Billy. I'm blaming David Gordon Green for this.
"Who's doing it? The schmuck who directed Pineapple Express and Your Highness? Oh gently caress me!"

Also finally started watching some moorhead/Benson stuff. Resolution was pretty nifty, getting into The Endless next.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Waiting for someone in the thread to say Killer Joe is their favorite friedkin so I can immediately report them to the authorities. Good movie but you should be somewhere where you can't hurt people.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Killer Joe made it so I can never look at cans the same again. I haven't even watched it in a while but just thinking bout that movie is rough. Everyone in that film is playing a Dumb Motherfucker (and a couple members of the cast dont really need to act to achieve that) but wow Thomas Haden Church might be the master of playing Dumb Motherfuckers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Really thought Brooklyn 45 was pretty shoddy (the dialogue and themes, movie as a whole, it was all pretty ehhh, very basic, and overall uncompelling for me) but I'm glad it worked for others. Gotta give em credit for ambition

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gave it a solid C. Was almost laughing at some of the dramatic monologues. Cool idea.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on found footage so hard now that I'm just checking out all the random cheap ones on tubi thinking I'll find some hidden gem.
I never do, but my weird journey did result in me rewatching Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County on youtube (also watched the original version which id never seen), remains the stuff of childhood nightmares. Wish more found footage looked like a haunted home video, the contemporary cheap ones just look clean and ugly.
Speaking of, it all just makes me appreciate The Outwaters more and more the more I watch of the genre. It's so good! It's so rare for found footage in that it's visually striking, creative, and surreal in its horror...generally cheap found footage just looks like, I don't know, a history channel reality show where a guy shows up in an alien suit or you see a really bad cgi thing. It all just looks bad (and not in a good raw way) and lacks creativity. Makes sense but it's a shame.
It did lead me to watching the rest of Matt Johnson's stuff, not what id call found footage horror but it's fun. Liked The Dirties and Operation Avalanche was solid.
Watching Renny Harlin's Dylatov Pass (i told you this adventure through found footage has been getting sad) was amazing, it's terrible but it's really incredible in how bad the cheap found footage cgi monsters are. They're like, a PS2 version of Shadows of Mordor? Like glitching Gollum-headed orc things? It's hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the people recommending Isaac Rodriguez. It was a breath of fresh air to see some tubi found footage that at least stood out in some way. I feel like he's got an okay movie in him. Deadware was ok, charming in like an e-demon way. Mister Creep I just found incredibly obnoxious and lame (honestly hated it but the old lady scene was fun though). Woah what if the killer was Heath Ledger Joker with jigsaw's doll :unsmigghh:
It led me to watch a random solid Russian horror comedy found footage film called Shopping Tour on tubi as well, actually kinda solid. It's cheap found footage where the characters and build up feel convincing and interesting (just following around Russians trying to tour Finland is already more interesting than 99% of cheap American found footage first act story buildup), and I thought parts of it were genuinely pretty funny. I don't want to overstate things, it's like a C+ or B- and it needed more scares but there's touches of The Wicker Man, with a healthy dose of political satire and skewering of Civilized Europe.

Still gotta watch the fear footage trilogy. Gonna check out Skyman first, seems promising.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 15, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I threw the idea ‘horror film franchises are bad’ at myself the other day, and Senritsu Kaiki was the top objection my mind threw back.
Yes, but also imo most of a nightmare on Elm Street is either good or fun bad

I will defend Freddy's Dead against as many hordes as it takes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need more horror films with like, a flashing warning message and countdown ala Gaspar Noé's I Stand Alone. STOP WATCHING THIS MOVIE! YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COMPLY. I guess most horror films don't really approach the OH GOD factor of Noé though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It took me longer than it should've to realize people itt weren't just incredibly hyped by Turner Classic Movies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Freeway is loving fantastic
It's not too like, 90s Tarantino derivative is it? Heard people describe it as an "edgy" film. I always dig a solid Kiefer role though, he's so fun in Phone Booth and Dark City.

That's on my to watch list probably next...been just going through a lot of poo poo on Tubi and that's on there too. Night of the Comet, Intruder (almost wish it had more laughs), Horror in the High Desert 2 (wasn't really high on the first one like a lot of people but I liked this one better, almost the feeling of simulating a Discovery true crime show and hey that's less heinous than watching them), Skyman, Road Games, Judgment Night (wouldve been so much higher on this if the murderous antagonist were anyone but dennis leary tbh)...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sure you can catch TCM on TCM! Only just saw the original in the past year and I was pleasantly surprised by how slapstick it ended up being.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Netflix has some decent horror that rotates in, im sure all stuff you could see elsewhere tho. I forget if they still have them atm but they had the Ouija Flanagan film and the Unfriended films at points. Also both Creep movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Proposition is my favorite western for sure. Everyone on screen just covered in sweat, dust, and flies.