Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Very spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Oi! Mistah you me da'?"
-Mia Goth

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tag yourself

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1682602248591818752?s=19

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Money just came in from the Icelandic Film Fund. Next few weeks will be spent on meetings and emails putting together a short film to use to pitch a Monster of the Week show to a production company. Probably shooting late August or early September.

Deadite posted:

Fake neon, it’s made from LED lights but looks close enough for what I want. Here’s the barbenheimer sign I made last weekend, it’s almost as good as real neon but it doesn’t have that back glow from the round tube.

Love this.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 29, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making props for my next short.

Bought a tiny plastic devil trident and fastened the head to an old broomstick. Going to paint it gold and fashion a crossguard out of the flimsy original handle. Going to glue the spikes of the second trident head to a rubber tube with strategic holes and then pump air and fake blood through it so when properly concealed under a actor's clothes it will look like it's punching through their chest.

Also experimenting with making silvery fish like eyes like the zombies from Sugar Hill out of Christmas ornaments. However any attempts to make eye holes in the half balls seem to shatter them. So either I need to find a new way or the actor will be blind when in makeup.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making up random words for oddly specific poo poo to stave off the boredom of just rewording press releases all day is 90% of entertainment journalism.

It's how basically every musical subgenre got its name.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't watched any since 3 (which I think I rented from the video store when it was new) because I thought 3 was bad.

I might have to revisit the series for a October challenge or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spermanent Record posted:

Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

Maybe one of M.R. James' more kid focused stories like Lost Hearts, The Wailing Well, and A School Story might work. Very creepy and the first two are surprisingly brutal for their time.

Somewhat antiquated language though seeing as James was a early 20th century antiquarian so I'm not sure how readable they are to modern kids even if some were intended to be told to 1920s Eton schoolboys.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love people doing research in libraries in horror.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As someone who often spends hours in research libraries pouring through annals and other ancient tomes looking for info on the supernatural for fun I can relate to horror characters doing the same to save their lives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mom let me watch anything I wanted but just told me to remember it was all just pretend.

Which is funny because when she watches anything at all she gets really into it. Like if the bad guys are torturing the hero or even just doing something else bad she'll loudly call them disgusting bastards and losers as if they can hear her.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It feels like an Italian remake of Carnival of Souls despite the fact that it's as American as apple pie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bought some teeth for my monster short movie

Having something resembling an actual budget rules.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollismason posted:

Finishing up Messiah of Evil, just watched The Exorcist last half , then The Sentinel, and now I'm wondering my next 1970s movie that vibes with those.

It's very Euro Horror but have you seen Short Night of Glass Dolls the giallo/conspiracy thriller?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone want to read the new alienated feature script so I can get some feedback before I start trying to get this made?

I'll take a look at it for you.

I'm no script expert but can't hurt to get more eyes on it

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 11, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good Horror Posters

The original Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween all also have amazing posters.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was in college I remember that one of the professors talked about how neo-noir (and noirish) films like Taxi Driver created the misconception that OG noir films had Jazz soundtracks when most of them had typical orchestral soundtracks as jazz was still a bit too counterculture in the 40s and 50s to be in most Hollywood films.

I have no idea how accurate that is but it feels like more of the post 50s noir films I've seen have a lot of sax than the classics which has led to people feeling like every noir film had a smoky jazz soundtrack.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

VHS: Kinetoscope and VHS: Zoetrope are going to slap

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trying to emulate this look from Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up Handbook by Dick Smith (1965). Specifically only the eyes.

With a touch of the Sugar Hill (1974) zombies

For a Merman makeup loosely based on this old illustration

This is a work in progress of the eyes using Christmas decoration half-balls.

Earlier, failed, attempts revolved around drilling or punching holes through the half spheres but that caused the entire eye to fracture so I think the current method of using stickers to create reverse stencil irises might work.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Has any 13 year old boy in history not been deeply into Joy Division?

Even centuries before Joy Division was formed kids dug Joy Division on a subconscious level.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember that it already had a reputation as being rough when I saw it so there was a bunch of archetypal metalhead horror nerd people in attendance.

Some of them seemed to dig it. Others walked out along with the old people who probably didn't know what they were getting into. I'm assuming they thought it would be less weird sex stuff more splatter gore.

Not as many walkouts as Trash Humpers (2009, d.p. Harmony Korine). That one emptied out more and more with each minute.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love going to film festivals and going to see as many movies as possible just based on the description in the programme.

Most I ever did was 21 films in 10 days. Sometimes me and my friend would go to one movie, go eat lunch, and then do two more.

They varied greatly in quality but it was always an adventure.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Icelandic Traditional Wrestling association is willing to loan me a proper glíma uniform for my monster wrestling film with the condition that they can send a representative on set to make sure the wrestling is accurate and traditional.

They first went through the script to make sure it wasn't against any of their values.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dude I'm casting actually has experience wrestling but in the WWE American sense so we'll probably need some adjusting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol what are their values?

Also that's awesome, you should just cast the rep as the wrestler

They didn't specify but I imagine it was mostly about there not being anything else in the script that they wouldn't want to be associated with the sport.

Like if there was some alt-right political stuff or the wrestling was used for evil or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Semi related
A lot of people compared Malignant to giallo, which I get (leather gloves, murder mystery, strange murder weapon, incompetent cops) but from an aesthetic standpoint it owes far far more to turn off the Millennium films like House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, and Ghost Ship.

The gritty desaturated look, the 90s alt-rock as a leitmotif, the edgy nu-metal esque killer.

Wonderful stuff

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Enys Men looks and feels like a very good episode of the BBC's A Play For Today, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible.

They should put this quote on the Blu-ray boxes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wake in Fright isn't really horror (except maybe if you interpreted it as a horror film where the Monster is Australians) but it might be the sweatiest movie ever made. Similarly in The Proposition, another not quite horror film where Australia is basically depicted as hell where every white person in the film is Rotten to the core and constantly covered in a swarm of flies, every frame is drenched in sweat.

Actual Australian horror movie Road Games is also pretty sweaty in parts.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 24, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I made a music video for a band some of my friends were in years ago and I made sure to have one extremely sweaty shot.

Sprayed basically an entire bottle at my friend's face to make him sweaty enough for it to show up on my lovely DSLR with no proper lights.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a film about pimps and necrhoes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wrong thread but I'll let it stand as a monument to my hubris.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alongside hubris I mixed up Night Shift (1982, dir. Ron Howard) with Nightwatch (1997, dir. Ole Borndal).

One is a wacky comedy about some gangsters running a brothel out of a morgue the other is about serial murder and necrophilia.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My Haunted House will not be put on this year due to budget cuts.

It was done as part of an Amusement Park/Zoo run by the City of Reykjavík and due to the recent recession the Haunted House is getting the axe despite turning a profit and being so popular some people stood in line for three hours until we implemented a booking system on the second night.

Also probably because my contact inside the park is on a long-term sick leave and without him there isn't any ambition to do anything wacky like this.

A bummer but at least I'll have time to focus on other projects without burning out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Excited for The Nun Part 2: Ecclesiastical Boogaloo

Looks like absolute schlock.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the Vampire The Masquerade : Bloodlines where the first Vampire is biblical Cain but he's just a cab driver and doesn't really care about vampire politics because he's like 300 thousand years old.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

The Heart of Darkness, the global hotbed of savage barabrism, a desolate landscape of death and suffering:

The West Midlands

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

84.5% of Doctors are weirdo racist perverts.

99.99903% of nurses are the worst person you've ever met.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His novel The Elementals could make a pretty good movie.

Wouldn't be very expensive either as it takes almost entirely in one location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!