Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the new best thread on the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrownPepper posted:

What are some of people's favorite castration scenes?

Terrifier 2 has a funny one

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Like any good slasher villain, the thread's never dead, it just gets a sequel.

this is the third thread. a strange entry in the franchise, taking a few wild unexpected swings, but with a diehard legion of fans who declare it the best so far

next thread we go to space

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watched a bit of an odd duck, Fanny Lye Deliver'd. folk-horror trappings, but honestly more of a period drama with some great kills in the last act

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

i think Spielberg's sort of "accomplishment" is that he usually folds genres into his mass-audience-appeal-ness; Jurassic Park is a monster movie (Lost World more so), Close Encounters and Minority Report are kind of hard sci-fi. it's well on display in Poltergeist as well. it's weird to me that him and Stephen King have never successfully collaborated, they seem cut from the same cloth

i'd really like to see Tim Heidecker or Eric Wareheim commit to directing a sincere, not-played-for-irony horror movie. Wareheim's video for 'We are Water' by Health particularly has convinced me that this'd work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG4bHjPLEU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

despite the rumors, Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist

haha yeah i meant to elaborate on that. i think if Spielberg had directed it we probably wouldn't have gotten all the corpses in the swimming pool for better or worse

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

breezed on into The Girl Next Door on a casual thursday night. don't make my mistake, that movie was absolutely hosed up

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

seriously hahaha i was lolling at myself about two-thirds through because of how badly poo poo had escalated.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the devil made me do it was pretty bad, but it's real crime was absolutely wasting John Noble. he is begging for a horror franchise, the guy radiates deep gravity menace

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all this and they couldn't get the Dark Universe off the ground smdh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the other extended horror universe that kind of rocks is Benson and Moorhead

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just casually having Koyoshi Kurosawa show up as the occultust scholar version of himself puts it in a whole other league. I love Noroi but there's no other movie like Occult. its terrific

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite part of Occult will always be the unexpected role of Indiana Jones.

speaking of things that have made me scream "it's hell it's hell"'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Thing as horror comfort food for me. it's just straight up fun

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i liked the vampire killing the cat scene! It's like a feline Friday the 13th scene

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Creep is pretty good but Creep II is even better

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i was really bummed out by Scream VI, there is absolutely no death of anyone of consequence. a bunch of redshirts introduced to pad the movie out. for a movie that draws heaps of attention to "no one is safe in a franchise" they really do nothing with it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I remember watching Disney's Snow White in theaters when I was real little, maybe 5 or 6. The part at the end where the stepmother is all witched up and running around in a lightning storm scared me bad enough to start crying. My dad picked me up and carried me to the back of the theater but didn't actually leave because like gently caress he's gonna miss the end like that :lol:

this was apparently the first movie I saw in a cinema! same age, I don't remember it but apparently the witch freaked me out big time. I also was terrified of ET

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Missing some of these :(

IT, ?, Shawshank, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary
?(The Mist??), Stand By Me, Carrie, Green Mile, Salem's Lot
Creepshow, ?(Flagg from The Stand?) Cujo, Thinner, Shining
Cell(?), Misery, Cristine, Firestarter, Silver Bullet

i think 2nd left in the top row is Revival

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Also who doesn’t want to be in a slasher and get a great death. The bts scene for the big t2 murder everyone is having a decent time despite being in a cold lovely basement in the middle of a pandemic lmao

yeah this. a good gory kill in a horror movie is the highest honor!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i watched The Visitor last night and aside from having no idea what actually happened, the whole premise (a man finds a series of paintings that look exactly like him) was undercut by some pretty bad prop design (it looks nothing fucken like him)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

In The Earth has some good sporous fog

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

based on a "viral twitter thread" really doesn't have the same cache as "a true story"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

*clicks fingers like Vegas crooner*
Re-turn of the Fly

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAq-NygwEJc

wish they called it 32 COINS but evil paul giamatti looks like a great time

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I remember liking it more than I liked Last Shift, mainly because it's 100% more schlocky and gory. It's basically just a hyper-gooped Assault on Precinct 13, so like, go hog wild.

well I liked Last Shift well enough but this description has put Malum in the "must watch soon" pile

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

rewatching Malignant and it made me wonder: what are your guys’ favorite Monster’s Workbench scenes?

I’m thinking Insidious… Jeepers Creepers… what am I missing?

home alone 1 and 2

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gonz posted:

Earlier this evening, I explained to someone the plot of Highlander 2, and they were incredulous over it.

Ironside out there on the set choppin' off fingers for real

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Event Horizon is a better haunted house movie than 13 Ghosts is

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

there was a cave inside the cave

but could she escape the cave inside herself

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I just watched Becky and it was quite good. loved seeing a few dollars in physical effects onscreen, the lawnmower aftermath was great

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you were jigsaw, what goes down the tubes into the eyes?

I'm going with piranhas or fire ants

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh apparently Saw X is set in Mexico, sometime between Saw I and Saw II. great news for those who love the blessedly stupid timeline of retcon plot twists.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Horror thread I need your help

I want to start my first feature film this year. I think it’s time.

But I don’t know which to do. Alienated was what I was going to do but I’m worried it’s too expensive or could be too expensive even with being creative.

My other script is an action flick about a kid taking a drivers test that gets attacked by basically an evil, STD dying James Bond, who turns out to be his grandfather. Evil Bond wants the kid to the next big spy Bc of his bloodline and the kid is like nah. So evil Bond just goes apeshit and uses gadgets and all kinds of stuff to hunt him down.

There’s car chases, violent James Bond gadget deaths and bad puns ect.

But it’s also seems maybe big.

But the real issue is the ufo disclosure is happening rn and a lot of it is what I have in my script so it might be worth striking. But it is kind of my passion project idea and I’m afraid to ruin it.

So help me goons what should I do

re: the ufo, there's also always going to be external circumstances: by the time the film comes out the UFO conversation may have (probably will have) moved on. maybe the script just needs edits, rather than a full pass. also, it sounds like the Bond film would require significantly more funding (car chases and gadgets etc) - which you might be able to leverage from a succesful first feature.

honestly life is short: i think going with what you want to make - the passion project - is the way to go. because you actually want to make it, you'll be driven to. there's no guarantees you won't have soured on your own original ideas two decades from now, either. plus, you can always revisit the ideas and themes in a later script if you feel like you need to swing at them again.

i dunno. i think it's also worth considering which parts of your craft you are most comfortable in, and which you would be honing during the development of the first feature. food for thought!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Horror Thread, ranking Halloween movies and jumpscares before p50

the first jumpscare i can remember loving was the Velociraptor trying to bite the kid in the vent in Jurassic Park.

also love the dream fakeout in American Werewolf in London, and the troll-under-the-bed sequence in Earnest Scared Stupid, jesus christ that was burned into my retinas.

one in Hereditary got me good, the car sound.

also one that has actually grown to creep me out more is the death of Dallas in Alien; the posture of the alien in the vent is loving horrific and the buildup to it is relentless.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Definitely watch Enemy

yeah Enemy really nails the feeling of dreamy doppelganger dread.

Twin Peaks, especially The Return, is also worth a go

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Noroi, Occult and Senritsu Kaiki File are all investigations

oh poo poo so is the all time CURE

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are we ranking Hellraiser films?

Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Hellraiser remake
Hellraiser 3
Hellraiser Bloodlines

the rest of them

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lynch's stuff is downright scarier than literally anything Blumhouse ever released, definitely horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is The Wicker Man investigation horror?