Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Like any good slasher villain, the thread's never dead, it just gets a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A Wes Anderson horror movie is the most bizarre combo I can think of that I'd absolutely love to see an attempt at.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

lmao, Dark Night of the Scarecrow is loving BLEAK for a made for TV movie. Network TV used to go hard, drat.

Since we were just recently talking about Spielberg, and now made-for-TV movies: Duel is a fully perfect movie, one of the best to ever do it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Influencer is very good, like an updated-for-the-times Single White Female. Unwelcome is a good movie that becomes great in literally the last 5 minutes where they clearly realized they had some budget left over and had to burn it somehow.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Insidious: The Red Door is as dumb as you'd expect, be that a pro or con.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I should also mention, because Insidious obviously really loves its jumpscares, there's an absolute doozy in the new movie. Not quite the red-faced demon from the first one, but it's up there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I'm fully onboard with the Blumhouse house style by this point. Big, dumb and loud, with an almost sarcastic amount of jumpscares. And we even get to double dip, with The Nun 2 coming in September.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Had similar thoughts, what a face, man.

Also incredible to realize it was her second acting gig ever. She's so good in EDR.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Especially when you get them in that age where they're grown up enough to enjoy it, but still young enough to get properly invested in it. I showed my 14 year old nephews Braindead recently and they were so into it, and so vocally disgusted by it, it ruled.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

She's definitely on the normier side of horror (Conjuring, Sinister, Insidious, etc.) so I'm trying to find more spooky stuff along those lines but maybe with more gore.

Oh my god show her Malignant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I watched the 2019 animated Addams Family for the May Challenge and that's a fun little movie for the younger kids.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Holy poo poo, less than 3 months until the greatest time of the year! :spooky:

31 challenges seems fair, since most of us aim for 31 movies in October, plus having nearly half of those be rewatch eligible means an excuse to dig out all the old favourites.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In terms of feedback, I think you should make sure that none of the first-watch-required categories are relatively small and finite. Like, there's enough vampire movies out there that you could almost go forever, but some of the other categories it's not infeasible that someone has literally watched them all and is just hosed from the outset.

Yeah, definitely this too. The first-watch challenges should be fairly broad to open them up to a lot of possibilities. Because certain challenges become tough when they're too narrow along with the first-watch constraint.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Robert Lieberman, director of Fire in the Sky, has passed away at age 75 :(

Fire in the Sky is one of the few movies to truly frighten me, all down to that one sequence.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I was in some incredibly spooky fog in some very haunting locations this weekend. Spooky fog rules.

Others than The Fog and City of the Dead and Plan 9, what are the best spooky fog movies

Neon Maniacs has some quality fog scenes. The first Silent Hill movie isn't terrible either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

if it’s filming in the UK and they’re working under an Equity (British version of SAG-AFTRA) contract they’re probably good, but if they’re filming in the US they’d better not be filming, haha.

completely different thought: my sister is in training to become a child protective worker, a job I did for a few years a quarter of my lifetime ago. I know there’s Case 39 and Daylight (2013) (bad movie!); which other horror movies are about social services workers?

His House (2020) features social work pretty prominently, and is a pretty great movie!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Saw X has had its release date moved up a month (probably to avoid coming out on the same day as Five Night's At Freddy's), its new release date is 29th Sept.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

the Saw movies are dumb as hell and I will go see every single one of them

Ditto. They're my big dumb cross to bear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Special mention of Michael Sembello's "Maniac," even if it got repurposed for a non-horror film.

Orphan: First Kill uses it as a fantastic needle drop at least.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The one true perfect example is Evil Dead 2.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm gonna see it on Friday, pretty excited for it. By now, A24 horror is generally a stamp of approval.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm gonna see Talk To Me this week, the trailer doesn't look great, but according to the reviews it's pretty good. Cobweb doesn't come out here till September, but I'm actually kinda excited for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I’m excited for dear David bc it looks like a big stinky pile of crap. I want to laugh at it

Dear David and Exorcist are coming out on the same day, and this is my Barbenheimer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So we've got two goons saying Becky is...good???
Can I get another amen?

I just finally got around to watching it: Becky loving rules.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

drat glad to see dgd stretching his wings and making a lovely trilogy based on a legendary property starting with an immediate legacy sequel bringing back the original female protagonist idk where he comes up with this stuff

The big reveal: The demon is not Pazuzu. It's Corey.

God I'm still upset at how poo poo Halloween Ends was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Carpet posted:

Attended a preview screening* of Talk To Me on Monday and it lives up to the hype. Very well directed and shot, with some crunchy gore and Foley. Stuck the ending as well, though I was worried for a few minutes that it wouldn't. Good acting from the leads too.

*It was a Cineworld 'Secret Screening' so there were plenty of walkouts when the title card came up, and throughout the movie.

Hell yeah, got my ticket for Friday to see it, glad to hear it lives up to the hype.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Saw X now has a poster.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1684324311673483265

I'm worryingly excited for this sure-to-be very dumb movie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I like Rob Zombie's Halloween duology a lot. For context, I also really love F13 Part 5, so that's where my tastes are at.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I'm WAY more interested in watching all the terrible Friday the 13th middle entries. I think I've seen up through 5 and I definitely gotta watch more. And I'm a dummy who has onli seen the first Child's Play and I'm hungry to watch those.

4, 5 and 6 is as good as F13 gets. 6 especially is just flat-out one of the best slasher movies ever made.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The body floating out of the boat in Jaws, the final scene of F13 Pt1, the closet in The Ring US, the lawnmower in Sinister, Leatherface's first appearance in TCM.

Love a good jumpscare.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 28, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So Talk to Me is brilliant! It doesn't do much to break new ground, but it's just a really solid haunting movie. The lead, Sophie Wilde, especially is fantastic, I want to see her in loads more stuff. It also does my favourite potrayal of demons/spirits/etc, go the Evil Dead route and just have them be complete dicks to the humans. Just total pieces of poo poo.

And for those who were worried about the dog in the trailer: It survives, but there's another very graphic animal death scene.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 28, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, it doesn't have the A24 ident, but it definitely feels like an A24 horror.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

One detail I really loved about Talk To Me that I was worried they were gonna fall into and didn't is that they never uncover the actual origin of the hand. They tell the urban legend version of what they heard, but it's never even established if it's a real hand, let alone if the myth about it is true. Cuz sometimes a little mystery going unanswer is good!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

The best jumpscares are when you hear at least one person yell "OH! gently caress OFF!" in the theatre because it means that they know that the jumpscare got them and they are embarrassed. I think that happened in a theatre that I went to but can't remember the movie. It may have even been something I was watching with my brother, I can't recall. Just that it's funny when it happens.

There's one I saw yesterday in Talk To Me that properly got the woman in the next row down from me, a fully-audible "loving HELL". :allears:

For those who have seen it, it was the first time Mia holds the hand and turns around and the ghost is looking straight down the camera. It's such a good scare.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've already heard the words "loving disgusting" about the clip of Saw X the panel got to see, so we're back in this, folks.

Trailer apparently drops in 10 minutes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Gimme that trailer

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1685440181057486848

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I've saw them all at least once, but I'm tempted to do a big refresh watchthrough of all of them, cuz that trailer has me in the mood for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, I'm excited for X because "you scammed a terminally ill John Kramer, not realizing the kind of thing he's capable of" is a back-to-basics solid motivation.

Plus I'm so glad to see series MVP Shawnee Smith back.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ooh, yeah, The Stone Tape totally fits and is worth the hunting it out. Also Quatermass and the Pit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Everyone should watch Orphan First Kill regardless.

For specifically doppelganger horror, the original 2014 Goodnight Mommy. Perfect Blue is a classic for a reason too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I just realized, all these investigation recommendations and nobody has said The Exorcist 3 yet.