Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Extremely looking forward to posting about spooky things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

In that case, Tucker & Dale is a secret Final Destination movie. We've unlocked new lore.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Those are certainly opinions one can hold.

Like, not me, but y'know, some people can hold them. If they want.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Saying it again and again but if Nolan wants to not be a coward he needs to end Oppenheimer the exact same way Lawrence Woolsey ends his movie in Matinee.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Deadite posted:

I'm going to try to keep up with this thread this time.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow was on The Last Drive-In last night and it was a surprisingly good made-for-TV horror movie

I was pleasantly surprised at the Hitchcockian influences and how grim it was at the start...which means when it went sicko mode and started killing off those murderers it became absolutely delightful. Cool atmosphere, and despite the inability to actually show blood or real deaths it managed to still make it feel gory and spooky. Like a particularly classy Tales From The Crypt or an extended Twilight Zone. The ending had me hollering. Fun time!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I bought the Shout Factory ROTLD UHD just yesterday! It truly gets better every time I watch it; I realized last time that I can basically track the movie by sound. Just a phenomenal score and soundtrack that punctuates each scene flawlessly.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Barton Fink turns into a horror movie at the end and it whips so seconding the Coens.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HK5000 posted:

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day everybody!

I bought the UHD two days ago completely by coincidence and I'll be off work by 5:30.

:getin:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Leatherhead posted:

I wish Sidney Lunet had tried his hand at real horror just once; I think the closest he got was Equus (Or maybe The Wiz?), but he was so gifted at conveying information without dialogue and ratcheting up tension that I think it could have been something special. Somewhere between Polanski and Ari Aster maybe, just going off vibes.

The scene in Network where Howard Beale is dragged into a dark boardroom and given one of the greatest villain speeches ever right before The loving Ending is so good and really shows a glimpse of that. I feel like if nothing else Lumet could've made one of those police procedural/horror combinations like 10 To Midnight and it would have been an absolute classic. drat.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Last Night In Soho left me breathless at points. I suppose Shaun of the Dead disqualifies it but LNIS is so different from Wright's other work.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ROTLD was, until I saw It's Such A Beautiful Day, my pick for scariest horror movie - just because of the zombie on the table giving the most existential reason possible as to why they eat brains. Turns the stomach. It's such a wild, funny film, yet also deeply horrifying all the way until the absolutely grim (and again, hilarious) ending.

About to start my thread-mandated watch to celebrate!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Shout Factory UHD of ROTLD is great - I never before paid attention to the inscription above the church door, the names on the graves in the cemetery, or the scribbles on the notes in the office and now you can see them perfectly. The half-zombie puppet looks nastier than ever, too. Very cool way to rewatch this movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really love The Conjuring 2, I can't help it. The atmosphere is really cool and the final scene made me cry.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah I have to completely divorce the Warrens as Movie Characters from the Warrens they're based on when watching 2. They're basically unrecognizable and it's just a Cool Ghost And Love Story to me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Deadite posted:

Last Drive-In is showing some bangers tonight

Around two years ago I went to a How Rednecks Saved Hollywood panel with Joe Bob and Darcy and met them after for a meet & greet. When I was there I told him that my dream movie for them to show would be Perfect Blue, and instead of getting the smile and nod I expected I actually got genuine interest from him, Darcy, and the crew that was there! Joe Bob directly asked me, if I could choose a single anime movie for them to show, would I pick it or Vampire Hunter D.

Perfect Blue is my favorite horror movie of all time so I of course said it, and I've been excitedly waiting every week for them to actually do it, mostly to make the joke that I caused it. But Joe Bob saying the words "Vampire Hunter D" out loud has been a joke between me and my friends who were there ever since. It was such a surreal moment.

This is really special to me. I'm really happy it's actually happening.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Vampire Hunter D is great but VHD:Bloodlust might be even better. It's just a more complete movie to say nothing of how wildly more beautiful and skillfully made it is.

Oh absolutely. In fact part of why I was insistent on Perfect Blue, apart from it being my favorite horror movie, was because I had just watched VHD and thought it was cool but mostly only okay.

Maybe a future episode can cover Bloodlust, that'd be very cool.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Hollismason posted:

The people demand a Bigfoot movie where he hangs dong.

Can I interest you in Yeti: A Love Story?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I think I appreciated Mad God a lot more the second time. I always appreciated the artistry, but understanding Phil Tippett's mindset and character helps a lot of the imagery come together better in my mind, and I felt like I enjoyed how it was paced more this time too. Initially I had a lot of thoughts about capitalism, medical horror, the endless grind, propaganda, and more, but now I really felt a lot of connection with Phil and his view of art.

"I, like a lot of artists, don't realize what I'm doing until many years later" is such a great quote.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Around two years ago I actually slapped together my own horror fighting game roster, complete with some "DLC" (I just kept wanting to add people). Tried to make it all movies with a season of video game DLC. It was a total laugh so I didn't really think to make it balanced or anything even if I held back on the "base roster", and there are probably a ton of changes I'd make nowadays but gently caress it, it was fun. Was inspired by Terrordrome and MK's horror guests with a sprinkle of Dead By Daylight, natch.

I have a few particular favorites, but I rather enjoy the idea of Seymour basically playing like this cross between Phoenix Wright and Amingo, with him fighting-by-not-fighting as Kaiju-Audrey tries to kill him. Trash & The Tarman as the summoner character, etc.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

I was going to say Trash from RotLD doesn't look like that, but apparently she kinda does? Weird.

Yeah, it's probably my messiest composite since there's no really good shot of Trash as a zombie from the front, so I had to like...slap together her human clothes with of all things a mask of her zombie form. It gets the job done.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My comfort horror movies are usually ones with a particular atmosphere and element of tenderness to them, or are just plain fun. Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator immediately come to mind because I could watch Herbert do Weird Little Guy poo poo for hours and his tender homoeroticism with Dan is something I'm all about, Nightbreed (Director's Cut) builds a beautiful world that I can get lost in and because it's so dense I can watch it over and over, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is both hilarious and sweet, Mandy and Beyond The Black Rainbow are both engaging and gorgeous and I just love to lose myself in their slow rhythms...

I also love some fun slashers. Jason X is a go-to goofball flick, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is that perfect blend of weird, imaginative, and inspired with some great social commentary. There's also Perfect Blue which is certainly terrifying and upsetting but the art and direction are so thrilling and sumptuous and I love everything Satoshi Kon has ever made.

I could go on but I'll close by saying I have watched Wild Zero five times since I first saw it in 2022 and I'm sure I'm going to watch it many, many times more. Everything about it hits me in the pleasure center just right. Loud music, great humor, zombies, low-budget-all-heart filmmaking, and the greatest love story ever told.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:3:

I love hearing stories about kids/teens enjoying horror. It's something I didn't really get to experience since I was sure I disliked the genre (loved Corpse Bride and really enjoyed Sweeney Todd but that was about all I ever tried to stomach). It's such a pure thing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Malignant and M3GAN for sure! Barbarian feels like a crowd pleaser too, and she might already know Pearl from social media but that's good.

Maybe Fright Night? Fright Night is fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Wendell & Wild is some great kid horror. When I was watching it all I could think of was how much I would have enjoyed it if I were younger. Not to say I didn't enjoy it now, but y'know, I'm not really in the demographic anymore. I can see it becoming a kid's favorite.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Last Broadcast is really interesting, and particularly I like how seriously they took the use of technology and how realistic that feels, but the lack of budget can take you out of it so easily with reporters who have no idea how to report or a "producer" who is clearly filming in a college dorm. The ending throws aside the pretext of the entire rest of the film but the last few seconds are very good. It's a really interesting time that I enjoyed a lot but it's not really very good in most ways.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My partner and I have a TV station that runs 24/7 in our home and one of the channels specifically has monthly themes, with October of course being reserved for Halloween and horror - mostly movies with some shows and specials there too. We try and update the lineup every year and it's fun because you never really know what's going to air next. Last year the theme was Kingtober, which was a combination of Stephen King films and movies we've been too afraid or nervous to watch in the past for one reason or another such as Hereditary or Drag Me To Hell. It's actually how they got me to watch a ton of horror in 2020 which started my love of the genre - they put together a massive list of their favorites and random ones they wanted to watch, and this was a few months after we started working at home due to lockdown so I was basically Clockwork Oranging myself with horror movies and realizing how much of it kicked rear end. It was awesome.

I think this year we're thinking of a Hidden Gems theme, possibly mixed with a Great Horror Directors deal, but it's still a WIP.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sadly I just didn't care for Terrifier 1. But I respect the hustle.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Baby is the one movie I will never stomach. I almost gave it a shot when it was on The Last Drive-In but I was too tired at the time so that made a good excuse for me to bail. I don't have any moral issue with it or whatever, but just knowing what I know, well, I just don't think it's a particularly fun time for me. But if you want a horror movie with a social worker, I expect you'll find none better.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask) and, if it counts, the titular song from Little Shop of Horrors would like to have a word...and while I can't in good conscience pick The Maniac Cop Rap it is hilarious.

I'd love to nominate a song from Phantom of the Paradise but I struggle to settle on a single song from it that fits the criteria, though every one of them is incredible. The Hell Of It is so good.

Wait, what am I saying? The My Bloody Valentine credits theme! That's gotta be the best one.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh, it's not a horror movie, but it deserves to be in the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gxT-C48iyg

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Crescent Wrench posted:

I feel like I have to agree because I like this one so much I own it.

(This is the only thread on the forums where anyone might get a kick out of it, so I just had to.)

Kicks rear end.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

Much like everybody in this thread I’m a huge ROTLD fan, I do a bit of tag team wrestling here and there my team is called The Party so we had that song re-worked for our entrance (apologies you’re gonna hear me “sing”)

https://youtu.be/ghnMtB5LiFU

Both me and my tag partner are big fans and have tattoos of Tarman

Kick rear end! I love that.

When I was in wrestling I was a manager that was like a haunted carnival horror host and my client was doing a cross between a Voldo-inspired contortionist and a possessed scarecrow gimmick. We entered to Secular Haze by Ghost and I loved it, but when they got injured and I had to pause because of a move (and then other things) I had to leave the business for a bit but I'm always wishing I could go back in. Ironically I'm actually way more familiar with more horror than just Hellraiser nowadays and would probably be even better at it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Mandy's is an all-timer.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

On the subject of unnecessary sequels, my partner has spent several years trying to convince me that Weekend At Bernie's 2 exists and I adamantly refuse to believe it. His corpse gets beaten to poo poo and shot at the end. There's no way.

This movie is NOT real. Not even holding the physical DVD in my hand is enough to convince me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That happens in 1, actually. I watched it for the first time yesterday and...well, it kinda sucks. It has a premise that has lasted and that's it. Bernie doesn't even die until an hour in and the entire thing has no energy at all. It feels like it should be a screwball comedy but the funniest part of the movie is when the end credits hit and you realize that the Costume Supervisor was named Dick Butz.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My favorite will always be Night but I adored Day when I saw it. I fell asleep before the TLDI showing but it sounds like the interviews were incredible. Day is just so entertaining and arresting with great performances, but it's that unforgettable score that really sells it for me. At times it feels straight from Zero Escape. Also the opening is magnificent, and thanks to M1 A1 by Gorillaz is permanently seared into my brain. Awesome film that gets way too bad a rap.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

No Bill Rebane's The Game? For shame. Why, that film has it all: an incomprehensible plot, dreadful directing, a skeleton...

Hausu being in is pleasant, it's one of my favorites. The first Conjuring over The Conjuring 2 is not a choice I would have made but I guess the first one is much more of a Haunted House vs. the demonic possession of 2. Housebound would have been a great inclusion even if it's somewhat on the line as to what constitutes a Haunted House Movie. Sweet Home (1989) was pretty solid!

I would count Dave Made A Maze as a sort of haunted house variant, at least of the Funhouse variety, and I enjoy that movie a lot but know that's sort of out of the list's purview.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm still shocked that there were three sequels to Psycho and that I ended up liking them all

Definitely. Psycho II was a huge surprise when I watched it. It feels like it should be the most unnecessary sequel out there but Anthony Perkins puts his all into his role and justifies its existence with a genuinely interesting follow-up. I still need to see Psycho III.

I pick wrestler!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm no fan of Ends, but felt it at least had a good idea buried inside it. This just feels creatively bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I liked Kills, honestly. I totally understand your point but I thought it had really strong atmosphere and the hamfisted dialogue felt less silly than it did in Ends. Kills with Ends' ending would've been solid. But swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Either way it really didn't need to be a new trilogy because Halloween 2018 was already a sequel to the original film!