Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sam Raimi rules! My fav Friday the 13th movies are 4 and 6, hell of a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've still gotta see Deep Blue Sea, I do enjoy Deep Rising. Also gotta see Deerskin.

Sympathy for the Devil is great, Renfield is not bad. Nic Cage renaissance continues.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Biff Rockgroin posted:

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

I dig into the ol' watchlist for horror movies, usually retro, and throw a few rewatches of old favs in the mix too. Definitely going on some whims and flights of fancy. And I try to mix in some B-movies that might be funny to write about too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snooze Cruise posted:

this time, i will properly partake in the october challenge and not get distracted by me suddenly deciding that maybe i should do a michelle yeoh marathon.

Any favs? I watched half of Yes Madam (will get back to it), and still have a couple other 80s ones on the list. I've enjoyed the 90s co-star films though etc. Actually I thought Heroic Trio wasn't so good, or just ok for me. But still, Michelle is great, that cast is great overall.

For a shlocky Maggie Cheung I like, the 80s Iceman Cometh was my jam.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 28, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jason is mondo cool. I'll prob rewatch 4 and 6 myself, agreed 5 is one of the most entertaining. So 80s.

Snooze Cruise posted:

holy weapon ended up being my fav thing i watched in that group. sex comedy wuxia from the 90s.

you got stuff like women falling in love with crossdressing michelle yeoh, and magical hrt medicine.. tho cw, lot of sexual assault jokes.

yes madam ultimately bore me but its interesting watching it and being like "oh this must have been a lot of people's lesbian awakening movie" lmao

Nice!

Lumbermouth posted:

There is no schlockier Maggie Cheung movie that The Seventh Curse, I will be forever thankful to this thread for introducing me to that movie.

Ooh, I'm gonna make that one of my watch picks for October, bonus Chow too.

Hollismason posted:

I've sated my lust for gore by watching Samurai movies all month. It loving rules. Sunday's gonna be great I got like 6 movies to watch.

I'd like to know your favs of that bunch, or of samurai movies in general too. I do enjoy G.I. Samurai.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hollismason posted:

I've mostly been watching Lone Wolf and Cub , Zaotochi movies , and then some like more modern stuff like 13 Assassins.

I really love all of the Lone Wolf and Cub movies even though I ended up watching them out of order.

Righteous! I've been meaning to see 13 Assassins too. Zatoichi rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

There's two levels of horror quizzes:

1. The normal person quiz, with questions like, 'What is the name of the camp that Jason stalks in Friday the 13th?'

2. The one run by horror people, with questions like, 'Name four of the rowdy teenagers from Return of the Living Dead'.

It's usually the first one, but sometimes it's an absolute treat when you stumble into the second one.

I feel like my brain must know what it's doing, so it's okay to forget the names of all the characters in beloved movies I've seen a bunch of times.

Jack Deth, I remember that name.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If it's not horror (and it's a scab film), I ain't got time for it this October :colbert:

Now, that's one of the actors, Star Trek guy, the director/writer/actor is the surely very cool Paul Bartel. I've been meaning to see it too, sounds up my alley. I like how the October Challenge thread says thrillers count, and horror adjacent stuff etc. So I think if there's a weird and/or tense movie that's a bit macabre or something, it's totally kosher.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

M_Sinistrari posted:

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqZe6THOpk

I still think it would look better with the old film grain.

Always like it when a fake trailer becomes a real movie. That said, I hope it really leans into the funny. Trailers can be deceiving, I remember Cabin Fever trailers didn't show quite how funny that movie was, but this is definitely a lot less funny of a trailer than the original.

Patrick Dempsey is inspired, I can see him being funny with the earnest ham. Tough to top Michael Biehn's moment, blood? "Son of a bitch...."

I've always felt like comedy is Eli's calling, the screwy European vacation hijinks in the first half of Hostel is the best part of that movie by far. And Cabin Fever is still his best movie. But I get it's the more extreme grim horror movies that do it for him. Also I feel like the I guess kids texting on cellphones thing we see so much in modern horror movies just feels a bit samey, would've been cool if it was set back in the day too.

So anyhoo, I'll just set my expectations lower, but it should be a fun time.

This also made me learn Eli Roth is making a Borderlands movie, and Gina Gershon is in both that (as Moxxi) and Thanksgiving. Classing up the joint.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 5, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

Eli Roth left borderlands when it was finished filming during editing to work on thanksgiving lol

Just peaced out. What a goofy man

Good to know, interesting I see Tim Miller did some reshoots. I'm guessing that's a very studio notes-y kind of movie etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://tenor.com/view/pinhead-not-quite-not-quite-pinhead-hellraiser-hell-on-earth-gif-23096446

(Pinhead saying "Not Quite" is always funny)

Shrecknet posted:

When I win the lottery, I'm gonna open up a local theater and show A Bucket of Blood and Velvet Buzzsaw as a double feature.

Hell yeah! It's Miller time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a question, you're 50 minutes into a 1 hr 47 minute horror film. And it's not good, it's kinda boring and stuff. Do you A, soldier on and watch the rest? Or B, figure it's time to put the next 57 mins into another potential winner?

(Yes I'm in the middle of A Blade in The Dark)

I've enjoyed other Lamberto Bava movies, but this feels like he (and the writers) saw Tenebre and just kind of scribbled down some stuff over a weekend and made a really uneventful imitation.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 5, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Phy posted:

If you're me watching The Meg 2, you go to bed and have a good long think about how you've been using your limited time on this earth

Classic Meg 2 philosophical crisis. I haven't even seen Meg 1 yet!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also loved it, whole trilogy is rad. The dream logic weird town murder fest of Ends reminds me of a good giallo movie in some ways. My jam.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

alf_pogs posted:

PEARL just went up on aus Netflix for anyone late to the game

didn't realise but I've watched a horror or genre movie a day this October. are late bloomers welcome to the challenge thread?

Absolutely! You can also set any challenge number you like, me and some other folks go for a lower 13 movies etc. All about watching some movies and posting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Honk if you're Freddy

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tomatoes are not a thing that I recognize, I'm like tomato agnostic. But I do hear about the tomatoes and even the fabled ratio of tomato versus popcorn every time I watch a movie with one of my best friends now. Hearing about these tomatoes nonstop has driven me mad, mad I tell you

And get this, he roasts everybody who uses letterboxd (including me naturally), these tomatoes and their popcorns, it's madness pure and simple

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Happy Halloween folks! Good horror movie times.

Nerdy Jason question! The recap at the beginning of Friday part 4 mentions how Part 2 started "two months later" after 1, with the scene of an adult Jason getting revenge with the fridge etc. Then it skips five years after. But how is he an adult just two months later? Also the kettle bit is classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYN8phvjSY

Call me crazy, I feel like I had headcanon'd or heard fans make this make sense, but the 2 months thing and his adult-ness seems like a goof. It's also funny that part 4 mentions this detail instead of just brushing it aside. Anyways gotta love Jason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Origami Dali posted:

Jason in the lake at the end of part 1 is a hallucination/dream. Part 1 takes place in present day 1979, but Jason drowned in 1957.

That is a sensible explanation. I've seen a few fans say the five year time skip explains the thing, thus the 2 month thing being kooky, but that is a solid take.

I think the memorable ending of part 1 is too cool to have not happened, and I like the ambiguous possibly supernatural aspect of slashers anyway. Though that applies more so to Michael Myers than Part 2-4 Jason. So I guess I want to have that ending fit even if it doesn't. Or, even if it didn't happen, maybe she's psychic like the girl in 7 so she's right when she says he's still there in the lake.

When reading a reddit thread confused about Jason being an adult in 2, I liked somebody saying how in Jason Goes to Hell someone eats his heart, so clearly somebody ate the heart of kid Jason, and the guy in part 2 is a new body via the heart eating thing. Now that's some canon wrangling fun. In any event, our headcanon will ignore that toxic kid thing from Part 8.

Also it is a little odd that he was an adult for decades in the woods there and never ran into his Mom etc with that version. But it all works, whatever gets us to glorious Jason mania. I'm just thinking out loud here. I also don't rewatch 1 much, and 2 infrequently though I like it, so I probably have a kooky memory of how it all held together.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 1, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

davidspackage posted:

For my high school's sort-of graduation party, you could choose to either come in costume or just fancy dress. Me and my sister and a third friend turned out to be the only ones who chose a costume. I came as the Crow. :ughh:

At least people didn't give me poo poo for it (to my face), though more than one person asked if I was someone from Kiss.

Glorious! I too have Crowed it up in my day, my fav low effort costume, and one of my fav movies for sure.

Also, I appreciate that a goon's friend saw and liked the new movie, but everyone isn't going to like the same thing, we all have different taste of course. And I personally do not want to see that movie, it's also by the director of the Ghost in the Shell remake, which unfortunately I did see. That's my take. Another thing is, they keep rebooting and remaking all of favorite stuff, and the expectation is that you need to see it. But you don't. It's actually pretty ok to not see it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GMK wipes the floor with them both though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah, Indy’s barely in that.

Haha, oh my Indiana Jones vs Godzilla, I think even Han Solo would have a tough time competing with the Big G in a legend off!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Warriors rules. Speaking of pulpy cool thrill rides, there's a lot of overlap in thrillers etc and horror, I think you fine folks would like 52 Pick-Up by Frankenheimer (based on an Elmore Leonard book). Also, Killer Joe by Friedkin, that movie is wild. I like to do a Freakin' Friedkin Frankenheimer double feature.

And on The Warriors, Walter Hill has such a cool filmography, Streets of Fire is must see too, and the soundtrack with tunes by Jim Steinman is must hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice! I saw it for the first time in the past couple years, so cool.