Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/kowasugi_movie/status/1676206654294216709?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I don't know what any of this is.

It's an ad for the next Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File movie. And you should definitely recognize the location.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alright I'd like to go ahead and reserve the next seven Movies of the Month so I can get everybody caught up on Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've got Noroi on my watchlist already, but will his films appeal to someone with a general... ahem... distaste for found footage?

What makes Shiraishi's work better than the standard found footage fare is that his stuff always includes strong characters, an engaging story, and humor. You aren't just looking at a video tape of somebody's bedroom waiting for something spooky to happen, you're enjoying it at the basic level you enjoy a regular movie. He's also a master of escalation. A big problem I have with a lot of found footage movies, especially in the wake of Paranormal Activity, is how often the plot is just a ghost demon doing random poo poo for no reason until the movie ends and everybody dies. Shiraishi doesn't do that poo poo, he takes you on an adventure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know that this is the only thing I ever talk about, but I just had a thought about the Senritsu Kaiki File series. Is it the best use of the series format of any horror movie series? Other horror movie series tend to start with an idea, and then future sequels try to do that idea again but bigger or in a new way or just the same again. But every Senritsu Kaiki entry adds more to the world, continues the story of our characters, slowly draws the shape of the horror, without ever over explaining or undercutting a previous entry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

I think a lot of Horror is set in the 80s/90s so they don't have to explain why people don't have cell phones with them at all times

I feel like the key to cellphones is just to create stories where the cellphones can't help. Like, if a werewolf is hunting you now and you're an hour's drive from anywhere, you can call for help but you still need to come up with a solution for the current predicament.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Give me the loving 1880s and 1890s. These are obviously the best era to set horror in.

Deathtrolley

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like there's a lot of easy low budget horror movie ideas about people trapped in a dust storm in the 19302.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Magic Hate Ball posted:

(in my cluelessly gay little nine year old brain I was like "horror movies = women in showers" and ran with it).

you were right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shrecknet posted:

Did you want them to actually use 35mm filmstock and ancient lenses?

I mean, if that's the aesthetic they're going for and they cant figure out another way to accurately replicate it, then yeah?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like athat movie bc it’s boring as hell but i appreciate it sticking to the medium.

The Bay is my favorite stick to the medium film. Movie freaks me out deeply. Owns. Love it

WNUF kinda stumbled in a couple places for me. It didn't really nail the verisimilitude because the commercials weren't right. There would have been national commercials for big brands, not just local stuff. I understand why they weren't included, but it still made the thing ring a little false.

The other thing is that the ending twist didn't work for me at all. That's way too much plot, and too much easy cinematic resolution.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Did you consider making a "loose canon" joke?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has anyone else ever seen The Booth? It's a I think early 2000s Japanese movie about a radio call-in show that gets a call-in from a ghost. Aside from the intro I think it's actually done in real time, or close to it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Traditionally thrillers are explicitly allowed in the October Challenge Horror Thread

The definition of horror that thread uses is pretty dang broad, to avoid arguments, and conjoined genres like thriller and kaiju are just included wholesale so people don't have to, like, parse which Godzilla movies counts as horror and which don't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The RLM boys raved about it, compared it to Trick r Treat in terms of nonstop Halloween vibes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Where does Dracula being Judas come from? It wasn’t in the original novel, was it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

Dracula 2000. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else

I’m watching Dracula 2000 for the first time now and I’ve definitely seen it in other stuff.

Hollismason posted:

Its Dracula 2000 and its actually a pretty interesting take on Dracula because it lays out why he's vulnerable to holy water etc.. silver and can die from being hanged.

drat, it's wild that Dracula 2000 actually added to Dracula lore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Of course I'm now watching Dracula 2000

It's got Omar Epps as a cool evil vampire and Jeri Ryan as a sexy evil vampire, and still manages to not be very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shrecknet posted:

bro what is your baseline? I'm six minutes in and about to vomit, we've got a self-facing cell video on bumpy bus to open the movie, as well as multiple cave-ins/times that are just "rocks falling around darkness and you can't see poo poo but like, one red light"

Hate this poo poo, turning it off.

The first time I watched As Above, So Below I mentally categorized it as a dumb movie like ten minutes in when they translate an ancient Aramaic poem and it rhymes in English.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I think Dracula 2000 needs a re-examine. I was prepared for a trash fire but taken as a direct homage to Hammer Horror of the 60s and 70s it really meets those standards. You've got a insane back story. Excellent upcoming actors. Very bloody. A actual honest attempt to add something to the Dracula mythos.

I was just thinking that Dracula 1972 blows it out of the water. Give any Hammer director those actresses playing evil sexy vampires, they would have done so much better with that material.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I mean that's how vampire fangs work. Is there some other way?

The fangs tear open the throat and then they suck down the blood through their mouths

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

Supernatural isn’t quite 90s but definitely fits as horror tv you can turn on and half watch and just zone in for the really good stuff and end of episode meta plot recaps. And there’s like 13 seasons of it so it will last.

Worth noting, it does seem like if you watch more than ten episodes of Supernatural you become maniacally obsessed with it and start writing Omegaverse fanfiction.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

And then you get to enjoy the show writing entire episodes, characters, and key plot points around “what the gently caress is wrong with our fans?”

And you get to read all the omegaverse fanfiction other people have written

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ambitious Spider posted:

Return of Daimajin is pretty great, even if it's essentially the same movie.

Now I don't want to spoil you on the third movie,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Earlier this year I managed to get literally ones of people to watch Legend of the Stardust Brothers, so I have faith that this will be the year I finally talk someone into watching X-Cross. It's such a fun movie!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It still has never been explained to my satisfaction how he managed to get them perfectly flush with the ceiling.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I grow tired of the thread title suggest a new one.

Gripweed posted:

this will be the year I finally talk someone into watching X-Cross.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Deadite posted:

14, I think. One 12 foot tall, five 5 footers, three 3 footers, and five one footers. Gotta come up with a scene for everything.

Last year I put the small skeletons inside the big one

They got new colors of skeletons at Target now. Saw some magenta ones the other day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m watching Body Melt. Someone in the October Challenge thread criticized it for filling time with bad comedy about normal Australians, and on the one hand I understand the complaint but on the other hand I’m now reconsidering my view of Australians.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stryder posted:

I love me some Ausploitation and Body Melt made a lot more sense after I learned it started life as an anthology then someone said, "yeah nah, just make it all one story, mate."

Oh drat, yeah that’s actually super obvious now that I’m looking for it. And would’ve worked much better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m some amount of the way into Satanic Panic, and so far this movie seems pretty bad?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh yeah this sucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Those drat Enchiladas”.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Crescent Wrench posted:

I want to know what happened in the four minutes between these posts.

iirc, that was when they introduced a new character who spoke entirely in sassy millenial speak.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Just a FYI that talking about practicing witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

That's a dumb rule, this is supposed to be a comedy forum, not some safe space hugbox.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Occult! Occult is so loving good. And it's a very different take on possession, being from Japanese folklore.

Shrecknet posted:

hmm..

how bad is the shaky cam and unmotivated directing in The Last Exorcism? I tapped out of As Above, So Below pretty quick

Occult has almost no shaky cam because most of the filming is done by a professional camera man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

just watched Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi: The Most Terrifying Movie in History. It was extremely good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gey muckle mowser posted:

I need to get back to that series, I’ve only seen 1-5.

The Most Terrifying Movie in History is part 6, and it's a fantastic continuation of the story. It does a really good job of gathering up threads from the earlier films without over explaining anything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really should not have started paying attention to the continuity of Friday the 13th.

Did you ever think about how they technically take place in an alternate future? There’s a five year time-skip between 1 and 2 ; 2, 3 and 4 are a span of consecutive days ; 5 is actually pretty wonky and theoretically could be anywhere after 4 ; 6 Tommy is a grown-rear end man so it’s been at least 8 years barest minimum. (Likely more) That’s 13* years in the story but the movies come out one per year. So while the movie came out in 1986, inside the movie it’s 1993.

Then 7 loving happens. Bam, opening of the movie we got a young Tina and a calendar on the wall that says October 13. Because of a quirk of the calendar, there are more Friday the 13ths than any other day of the week, but you still only get one in a given month once a decade or so. For reference there is/was/will be a Friday the 13th in October for 1978, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2006, 2017 and 2023.

Absolute earliest, the beginning of 7 takes place in 1995, a whole 6 years after the movie’s release**. And that’s completely ignoring how they built that house and moved in in just two years. But that’s before Tina grows up and we jump forward even further. So really in 7 it’s the mid-2000’s at the earliest, but likely much later.

*Haha
*I never said it was the far future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8YUj3C9lI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh god, there's one more thing I forgot to mention about Satanic Panic. OK, so the movie ends with the hero quitting her job to follow her dream of moving to Australia, with the last shot being her riding her scooter out of the city, with the visual implication being that she intends to ride her scooter from Dallas to Australia. But there's one more aspect of that scene that I forgot to mention. Near the end of the movie she rescues a little bunny. And she is carrying it in her jacket on her final shot triumphant ride to Australia. She's going to try to move to Australia, taking a rabbit with her.

loving hell, what a lovely movie.