Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've never seen it, and it just popped up on Shudder, so that's what I'm doing tonight

I'm so jealous, I would love to watch it again for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Any recommendations for recent (last 3 months or so) horror movies added to Shudder, Netflix or Paramount+?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

I had some mild interest in Run Rabbit Run just for her, but it's growing milder with each tepid review. So I can't speak to any of those horror films, but I did watch Predestination earlier in the week. It's different than I expected given the schlock premise (a time traveling temporal agent hops around the timelines to catch killers before they commit their crimes). It's really all about the characterization and the time travel paradoxes. I didn't realize it was based on a Heinlein story. That being said, Snook is definitely the reason to watch it. Ethan Hawke has top billing, but it feels like she has as much if not more screen time and really anchors the movie.

I watched Rabbit a couple nights ago and it was just boring, tropey bland safe horror. I think they were going for a shock ending but it couldn't have been telegraphed larger if there was a blimp flying around with the ending spelled out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

That was scary good for $200. Makes me think of the zombie film I did when I was a kid and what could've happened if we had actual money instead of Mom's lasagna.

Haha that reminded me of the "movie" we made as kids about a scientist who drank Pepsi and turned into a Werewolf and the cure was to give him Diet Pepsi

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

It’s been a while since I saw He Never Died, I know I liked it but also I never saw She Never Died and I feel that’s a good excuse to rewatch it for a double feature someday soon

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Woah cool, I didn't know there was a kind-of sequel. Checkin' that out sometime :hfive:

As someone who really liked He Never Died, avoid She Never Died at all costs. It's as if some studio exec saw HND and said "It was good, but we need more action and romance"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just watched Influencer and I really liked it! Very cool hook. I do have a question -

I assumed right away that Madison would take her revenge so I was watching looking for clues that she had survival skills, like a picture on her feed of her in a survival camp or something that was just below the picture CK was looking at.

I didn't catch any clues unfortunately, but I did browse my phone a couple times. Was there any clue before the return to the island?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

WeaponX posted:

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

Yeah mine is practically disintegrated, looks even scarier

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I don’t recall seeing any clues of this type.

I think Madison being able to survive was simply necessary to the story in order for the villain to get her comeuppance.

Personally I felt as soon as she saw the camp and cooking setup she should have dumped the body and bailed.

Glad you enjoyed it too, I had fun watching it.

That's really a bummer they had so many opportunities to subtlety do that. Show posts in her feed and like 3 of them are survivalist tips, etc.

The impression I was building of her with the guess that she survived was that she just recently became an influencer when she met Ryan, but before that she wasn't social and had experience.

But oh well, plot twist of her just making it works too. And you're right, if that were me I'd dump the body and take a month or so break and hightail it out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

On the subject of unnecessary sequels, my partner has spent several years trying to convince me that Weekend At Bernie's 2 exists and I adamantly refuse to believe it. His corpse gets beaten to poo poo and shot at the end. There's no way.

This movie is NOT real. Not even holding the physical DVD in my hand is enough to convince me.

I saw that when I was probably too young, and it was back when my brain assumed "Sequel/Remake is newer and newer = better". Even as a kid I watched that and though it was poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

I just watched Becky and it was quite good. loved seeing a few dollars in physical effects onscreen, the lawnmower aftermath was great

I prefer the sequel (maybe because I watched it first) but both movies are in my "Oh holy poo poo this surprised me and I enjoyed the gently caress out of them" bucket. I really wasn't expecting them to be as fun as they are. From Wrath of Becky "You missed my brain!" is one of the funniest gags I've seen in a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So we've got two goons saying Becky is...good???
Can I get another amen?

I don't know if I would call them "good movies" but they are enjoyable as gently caress to me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm no fan of Ends, but felt it at least had a good idea buried inside it. This just feels creatively bankrupt.

Halloween Ends was not a movie I enjoyed but I had to give them credit for swinging for the fences. Of course then they messed it up by tacking on the final battle. I think I would have actually given it a positive review if it just had the balls to stick with the risky premise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Really hope saw 10 is just the apprentices putting each other in traps and there's unnecessary uses of non linear story telling

Nah just make it truly 10 in and they're not even trying anymore. Like "In this room there is a key cleverly hidden" but it's just a bucket turned upside down with it in it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My favorite part of Halloween 2018 is how they just dumped the "Lauri is Michael's sister" poo poo with a single line "Oh no that's just something someone made up"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's old hat now but when I was a kid watching Child's Play I practically poo poo myself when Chucky first revealed himself to Andy's mom

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

This is just the blueprint so anything can change. I agree about the blood, it should be more splattered or something since it’s a chainsaw.

I think the teeth disappearing when the blood starts jumps out a bit, but I like the concept!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

They should've waited 5 years and brought back the same kid actors but with 5 years of actual age on them. That could've been cool.

Hell go all in and wait 32 years and film the sequel

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh man, I love Clue, including the ending gimmick. I'm sure I can track down the endings if I'm so inclined though...

When we were exiting the theater for Clue (I'm old) there were 3 lines for 3 different endings. While walking by the line near our exit a friend shouted loudly "I can't believe the killer was Professor Plum (or whatever, it wasn't the actual killer from the ending) and a bunch of people looked super pissed and moved to another line. Hilarious as a kid, I'd be pissed as an adult.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Class3KillStorm posted:

Halfway through the film, Ghostface and Sydney switch bodies, and now "Sydney" is the one going around killing her friends and promises to kill herself at midnight.

At no point does Sydney-in-Ghostface's-body remove the mask.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

One day my F13/Mighty Ducks crossover will happen and it’ll rule

Does Jason go into a hockey game to kill people but gets sucked in to be the alternate goalie and discovers he actually loves hockey?

Edit - He gets into a fight and murders someone and gets a 5 minute stay in the penalty box

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Some in the thread liked my horror trailer/commercials halloween playlist on yt last october. I made it into this thing a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHuAbnI3OE

This is really cool!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

sorry but "the bastard son of a hundred maniacs" is one of the best descriptors in horror history

I will say that even as a kid I saw that part and said "That's not how impregnating works..."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you know for someone into investigative horror you seem to be relying on us to do all your investigating

anyway watch Lord of Illusions (director's cut)

I haven't seen that movie since I saw it in the theater but I still say "are you ready for my wisdom" all the time. Movies and memory are weird

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jonesy?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad From Beyond is on Shudder. I never saw it but have wanted to ever since I was a kid. The VHS box for it always caught my eye at the small video store but my parents would never let me rent it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anything new good on Shudder?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Depends on when you last checked in. Within the last 3 months I'd highly recommend Influencer and Brooklyn 45, and I'd also recommend Unwelcome

Ah thanks, I've seen Unwelcome and Influencer and wanted to watch Brooklyn 45. Thanks for the reminder!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Brooklyn 45 is a good film.

Thanks guys, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I thought it was horror/comedy for some reason so I wasn't expecting it to be that dark.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Went and saw Talk to Me and loved it, what great direction and sound, even if the plot has been done before.

Though I kept imagining an alternate version where They have absolute proof of the afterlife that is instantly provable. I'm picturing a version where after the kid gets to the hospital they take the hand to the police, show them that it works and then put together a crack team of experts to theorize possible solutions to save the kid.

"I didn't do anything!"
"Sure you didn't"
"No, seriously, hold this for a second"
"Oh holy poo poo you weren't lying, let's get on this!"

Edit - It was great, people actually left the theater I was in, and got an annoyed sigh from someone next to me because I was laughing so hard at "the big scene"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Count me in for just being kinda 'eh' on Cobweb. It's mostly just twist upon twist with nothing really to say that I can discern, and isn't quite dumb enough to laugh at (though it's close). Caplan and Starr are real good though and it made me want to see them both together in a better movie.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt. The story was nothing special and nothing I hadn't seen before. I do appreciate that they did the fakeout of making you think it was a ghost in the beginning, likely the little girl that disappeared that was mentioned.

I also appreciate that they were trying to do the twist of "The parents aren't actually evil, they're just protecting people from their monstrous child", except they failed at that by making the parents actually legitimately bad people. The ending would have hit a lot harder if after the reveal of feral girl you realized they were doing everything they could to protect their son.

It was okay, but glad I watched it at home while cleaning the living room.

Edit -

Also the ending was king "why the gently caress didn't you call the cops". They have the girl trapped, call the cops to get her and imprison/commit her. I'm trying to figure out what was expected to go down there, there's dead bodies everywhere, how is that going to be explained?

Instead they just let her monologue that he'll be looking over his shoulder the rest of his life because she's alive. Which I suppose could happen if she was imprisoned too, but I didn't get that impression

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 14, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

It's me, the Malignant Not-Liker

Way too long, ugly as hell, dumb as rocks. It certainly has good moments and their heart was in the right place, though. Not bad, but forgettable.

Who hurt you

WeaponX posted:

One word I would not use to describe Malignant is “forgettable”

I still see the chair shot everytime I close my eyes

Same here, every once in a while I'll think about it and just laugh hysterically.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I also love that Malignant had the balls to tell you the ending right in the beginning credits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

It's not horror, but Captain Ron. "Ahh, they'll get out of our way, boss! Learned that drivin' the Saratoga" is practically a part of my personality, as is the need to clarify revolutionaries or apes when someone mentions gorillas without context.

I still call people swab from time to time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Fast and the Friday the 13th

The only thing that can stop Jason is beating him in a car race

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Blind Dead 2 is my favourite. It's a Spanish film that has all the characteristics of classic Italian horror: a small rural village, an abandoned castle, a flashback to medieval times, a corrupt police force, a village idiot, an even dumber mayor, a scandalous love affair, and people drinking whiskey out of Collins glasses for some reason.

Thought that was the MyPillow guy for a sec

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think I've told this story before, but I'm two for two in getting dudes to watch Dear Zachary on first dates, so.

I convinced my entire family to watch it on Christmas morning one year. My sister was scream crying in the bathroom and my mom told me to give back my present.

It was evil but it really is an experience I couldn't pass up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I swear to loving god Midsommar better have some pay off because I'm now like 1 hour and 20 minutes into it.

It's definitely not for everyone. I really love the ending but it doesn't change thematically all that much.

Just remember it's not a horror movie, it's a break up movie

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

I had a friend just yesterday who said they had been of the opinion horror didn't "get to"/affect/scare them, but they had then watched Possession (1981) that morning and realized it definitely can have that effect :rubby:

Sometimes it really is just about expanding what you're viewing

I have very rarely had movies actually scare me, but very rarely a proper dark Ghost movie will get to me. The Ring was the first movie I think I was ever actually unnerved by and was a bit jumpy at the house for a few hours.

The Grudge did similar, but that was perfect time - I had literally just moved into a new house from the 1940s the weekend earlier. Every goddam sound was my death coming.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I'm rewatching The Faculty since you guys were talking about it a few pages back. I forgot just how many big names were in this, freaking John Stewart before he was John Stewart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, insane cast, and a movie that would be super duper fun to this day if not for the absolutely bizarre lesbian-but-not-really subplot with one of the characters and the conformity-kicks-rear end-actually deal. Don't get me wrong, still very fun. Just less fun than it should be.

Yeah I've watched a lot of 80s and 90s stuff that I loved growing up and hoo boy LGBTQ+ is not handled well in a lot of it. The biggest one to me was Malcolm in the Middle which quite literally had a gay joke in every single episode.

Edit - Man I don't think I ever realized how this was basically the Breakfast Club

Medullah fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2023