Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK you're already hitting the classics with the AIP stuff, but don't forget to branch into the rest of Vincent Price's output. You need Dr. Phibes, you need Theatre of Blood, and you need The Monster Club, stat!

I adore Phibes but I've never seen the sequel, is it worth a watch? Theatre of Blood is another I've been wanting to see but never have so that goes to the top of the list!

Basebf555 posted:

Hammer has a similar feel to it as well where it's never really scary but it's just a comfortable vibe with some all-time great scenery chewing actors. One of my favorite Hammer films that I don't see mentioned very often is Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg.
Absolutely, I love the skeleton bros on their skeleton horses

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 12, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Flying Zamboni posted:

If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

Same, especially if there's a deathly serious scene where someone figures out that the mysterious new count in town is actually Dracula

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Grinch Night is absolutely bizarre and my kid liked it more than Grinch Christmas for a while

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was probably 6 or 7 when I watched the Universal Monsters movies with my dad and I had great memories of that time, I didn't revisit them until decades later because I didn't want to spoil the memory. And then I liked them all even more when I did.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oops All Frankensteins meta category about creation resentment or just watching six Frankenstein movies

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Watch films with less than 100 Letterboxd reviews" has been a fun personal challenge for finding some obscure films I've enjoyed both old and new. Sometimes it's just junk but there's good stuff out there so maybe that's a fun meta challenge?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watching a favorite, Dead & Buried, and thinking that my favorite flavor of horror might be "small town where everyone's in on it." Growing up in New England, the small coastal town as a predatory monster is completely my vibe.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm is Pet Sematary the best overall song for a horror movie?

Criteria : It contains the name of the movie in the song or it goes over the plot of the movie in the song.

The Spider Baby theme rules https://youtu.be/_jZTdAUgpvQ

Also hard to top the Dampton Worm

https://youtu.be/C8n6z-WRCd0

Basebf555 posted:

Yet again for the the second time in a month, my hat is like a shark's fin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYcdBVQ8NM

Absolute top tier song and always will be

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dawn was my favorite growing up, Day is my favorite now. All of the original three are amazing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nightmare on Elm Street is a haunted house movie

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm still shocked that there were three sequels to Psycho and that I ended up liking them all

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

Dead and Buried!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

alf_pogs posted:

is The Wicker Man investigation horror?

Yes and it also counts as a musical

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They should make a new Nightmare that's a sequel to New Nightmare in a post-Craven world instead of, like, bringing back Nancy and saying #3 didn't happen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

heard u like girls posted:

Man this matte painting surrounding the platform in Pit and the Pendulum looks rad as heck

I wish i could find a high res version :S

God I love matte paintings

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

We're poster posting? I love poster posting

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bring back Ghost Viewers

https://youtu.be/Zdwq3jdvZDI

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

our friend didn't have any normal kid movies or shows growing up

This is me, I still haven't seen most of the 80s comedies that everyone else I knew was watching, it was all old westerns (that I hated) and old monster movies (that I loved) in my house.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deep Blue Sea was an ideal first date movie, Lost Highway was not.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've never walked out of a movie in a theater but I've turned off a bunch of recent blockbusters midway through and I don't think I missed out on anything

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shrecknet posted:

https://movieweb.com/thirteen-ghosts-set-to-be-revived-as-new-13-part-spook-filled-series/

They're turning Th13rteen Ghosts into a 13-part series, but more importantly they're bringing back GHOST-O-VISION from the 1959 original where you hold your phone up and additional ghosts are displayed!

Absolute heroes, I don't even care if it ends up bad

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As a long time Part V defender, I'm glad people are coming round on it. It's such a nasty movie, I kinda love it just for how horrible everyone is in it.

I thought I was the only one

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nikumatic posted:

We watched Hatching tonight. Really liked it! I appreciate when a movie will lean into the "metaphor vs. monster" ambiguity and then go no, mother and daughter are gonna hunt this loving birdcreature down with butcher knives. Luckily we finished eating dinner pretty early into the runtime because there's some gnarly goo amongst the cool creature effects.

It owns, the monster is absolutely disgusting

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basebf555 posted:

Well I know we were just talking about it but Texas Chainsaw for sure. Maybe it's just the stories from the set that have come out over the years about how hot it was inside that house but it seems like I can feel it when I watch those scenes.

Hooper was the master of sweaty horror, see also Eaten Alive

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

Book of Birdie, a light horror/comedy from 2017 that only has 40 reviews. Definitely not for everyone but it's a spooky gay romance about Catholic guilt, so, pretty much made for me.

Ghostkeeper, a Canadian made for TV movie from 81 with bits of The Shining, Texas Chainsaw, and wendigo mythology mashed together into a weirdly comfy winter horror. This one has 437.

Suddenly in the Dark, 1981 Korean film that I expected to be a spooky doll movie but turned out to be way more than that. This was one of my favorite new watches this year, had 267 reviews.

The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch, 1968 from Japan, has 561 reviews. There's a great restoration out now! A coming of age story/gothic family drama by the director of the original Gamera series.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 29, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If anyone's looking for more animated horror the 1986 Czechoslovakian Pied Piper is really, really something. Just nightmare imagery everywhere.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WeaponX posted:

Bride and Seed are both very good. My favorites of them all.

Big same, they're the campiest the movies ever get and I love it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm finally watching Exorcist 3 for the first time and it's great and no one told me Fabio played an angel in this movie!!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've seen most of the suggestions so far and they're all good but I haven't seen The Carrier, I'll check that out

Shrecknet posted:

I'm not sure that's possible, as "a horror movie that is a monster reaping a terrible vengeance on people who deserve it" is just "an action movie"
The Shape of Water was a good example of it in a non action sense, it's not a scary movie at any point but it's a monster movie with lots of classical horror imagery so that works. Haunting stories about people who absolutely deserve to get haunted are also good (I love the Yokai Monsters series for this but I've watched them and similar movies a bunch already)

But I mean I'm also totally fine with an action movie about Draculas bringing gory vengeance on jerks that deserve it

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 5, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

drrockso20 posted:

Mechanical Violator Hakaider

This is one that absolutely rules, I love all the costume designs. I haven't had a chance to watch Shin Kamen Rider yet but I'm excited to check it out

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yes, we do need more fish people slashers with ties to Satan

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s me, the other guy who liked A Cure For Wellness.

It rules, I loved it.

And I actually really liked X and thought it was a very funny dark comedy but Pearl is so much better.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ambitious Spider posted:

Watched 100 Monsters last night, which was very up my alley. Can't wait to check out the other two.
They're a lot of fun! The second one is my favorite but they're all so different that I could see any one of them argued as the best.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ambitious Spider posted:

Along with Ghosts is my least favorite of the series, but any movie with samurai and spooks is still going to be a winner for me.

If you haven't seen the Daimajin trilogy they're similar in style only with one gigantic spirit instead of lots of lesser ones. They're repetitive if you watch them all together (it's basically three directors giving their take on the same story) but I liked them all

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ambitious Spider posted:

Return of Daimajin is pretty great, even if it's essentially the same movie. It's got some great atmosphere and nice foggy sets. Daimajin's eventual attack feels much more apocalyptic in this one. These are more similar than the Yokai monsters flicks, but I'm still having a good time with them

They kind of all have a different elemental theme and I liked that; the first movie heavily focuses on earth, the second on water, and the third on ice. All three were also all made in the same year with a lot of the same crew!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think snake girl and the silver haired witch is also from this studio, and it's on shudder, so it'll probably be my next watch.

It's one of my favorites, I hope you enjoy it!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deadite posted:

I also covered the big skeleton in clear UV-reactive paint and bought some outdoor blacklight floodlights off of eBay, so my yard is a neon wonderland at night

Yeah this really does rule. Last year one of my neighbors dressed up two gigantic skeletons as wrestlers and had them locked in battle on the front lawn, every kid around loved it. I'll take a picture if they do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was told that Frankenstein vs. Baragon was terrible, and maybe it is, but also, it owns, I've been misled all these years

Edit: I'd like help with a project! I'm trying to make a list of Japanese films featuring classic Universal/Hammer style monsters. Your old-school style Draculas and Franks and Gillmen. Not any old vampire movies, specifically ones like those!

So far: Universal Monsters in Japan https://boxd.it/pgu8W

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2023