Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

I wasn't really heavily invested in it but I'm watching Occult (2009) by Shiraishi and uh goddam I was not expecting the swerve in this film.

:catstare:

Just watched because of you and I found it awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for recommending No One Will Save You. I enjoyed it immensely. There was some very scary imagery and good tension. And as someone else mentioned, the lack of dialogue was so well done that it was hardly noticeable.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A late comment but regarding the getting-older-and-not-liking-certain-things chat from a few pages back, I stopped watching Under The Skin during the scene on the beach. No moral qualms or anything, just couldn't stomach it at the time. I was very surprised by my reaction.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, first episode of 30 Coins really has it all.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Very few movies nail the whole "evil doesn't give a gently caress about you" themes of demon movies

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
When Evil Lurks. So good.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
What was it about the goat that made it so obviously evil?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd have to rewatch to make sure it was actually the reason, but I remember at the time even before the gunshots scaring the rest off but it, I thought it was the one standout with the size of its horns

Also I didn't think about it until later, but the rest of the goats surround it to protect it, just like the kids protected the Rotten in the school

I think you're right. Also perhaps the wife was already in on it and she was drawing attention to the possessed goat intentionally.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Regarding When Evil Lurks, Jimi (the brother) takes a bullet from the blanket the rotten was carried away on. I'm pretty sure this bullet is kept with him until late in the movie - we see it again at some stage.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
To answer a question from a few pages back, yes I get scared! There was a scene I think in REC where someone pokes their head up into an attic or something and looks around with a torch - I literally closed my eyes because I couldn't stand it. Anytime there's a creepy door or something that might have someone/thing behind it or a hallway corner I get tense and anxious. The new Hell House movie is a great example. I hate it but love it at the same time. I am very lucky.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Enemabag Jones posted:

I stare at the side of the screen when I know a scare is coming and squint when the shot holds too long

Yeah, the side-eye and the squint are my moves as well.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Have you seen Moloch? I watched Moloch, it was very entertaining.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

the new Fielder / Safdie / Stone joint THE CURSE is by far the most horrifying, excruciating thing I've watched on tv in ages. if you appreciated that danish movie SPEAK NO EVIL this pushes that feeling even further

The Curse is incredible. But it ain't horror.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Are we watching the same show? It isn't scary or even trying to be. It is cringey and awkward and full of second-hand uncomfortableness. I think naming it The Curse suggests something that it's not. Maybe it will all change in the next couple of episodes.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I remember True Detective S2 having a bigger quality drop-off than The Terror S2 did, which I enjoyed immensely.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'd forgotten I'd seen History of the Occult. I also recommend it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

My only complaint about HotC is that I wanted more creepy poo poo. One of the early scares with the all-black figure with the pinpoint eyes was awesome, and I wanted to see more of him, and there wasn't much more. Don't show me neat things to get me all curious and then cut me off, dawg, I need them spoops!

What was that thing anyway? I should re-watch it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I often feel like I've seen every recent(ish) horror movie out there. The ones I deem to be worth watching, anyway.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
"He's gonna be SHORE in the morning!". Is that a play words in Icelandic as well as English?

Also, did you do the music?

Great movie!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone watched Spanish movie La Abuela (The Grandmother)? I recommend it highly.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Late Night with the Devil is great.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The ending of Late Night with the Devil had the same feel as the ending ofThe Viewing from Cabinet of Curiosities, which hits me so hard for reasons I don't fully understand.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phy posted:

See also: HAIL PAIMON

Oh yeah. And The Witch to an extent.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I only just got around to seeing The Killing of a Sacred Deer. What a gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Snooze Cruise posted:

with the SOTAR translation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Usi2glLDyw

i need to catch up myself, haven't watch the lizard one yet

e: holy poo poo i just checked the discord and saw people talking about a manga version lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5pi6wKSvTu/?img_index=1

This building was used in some other Japanese zombie movie I watched semi-recently which I can't really remember much of. Was it part of this series? Or just a coincidence?