Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Uncle Sam looks quite feminine here.

I can't believe I have to say this,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"The film was cheap because I had an alien corpse left over." :lol:

Good poo poo, CP!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

When I was that age my father showed me Jaws. It was a different time.

I remember a time when I was fairly young where I was enraptured by Aliens but I had trouble with the Wizard of Oz and Fantasia because the tornado scene and Night on Bald Mountain were both too scary. Kids are weird.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Deadite posted:

Two more options for the blood:

the second is amazing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

It's me, the Malignant Not-Liker

Way too long, ugly as hell, dumb as rocks. It certainly has good moments and their heart was in the right place, though. Not bad, but forgettable.

I'm surprised to hear it called ugly. I remember thinking it was surprisingly gorgeous for how mid it was otherwise (until it picks up, at least).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

It primes you for the insanity. It got me very much in the mood, and the twist was still affective. I thought gabe was a tumor on the run lol

100%. I was sure the "twist" was gonna be that he grew his own arms, legs, and body.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
don't think that's too uncommon for doctors

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo, dude

that sucks

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

As soon as I saw it was made for Lamentations of the Flame Princess I knew this was going to be godawful lol

Was that one of the "Old School Renaissance" games? I've heard that whole movement got coopted by shitheads pretty quickly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Glad to hear things aren't quite that bad in the scene.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

weekly font posted:

I went to Japan, experienced the electric kettle and bought one immediately when I got back. Also an attachable bidet. Us Americans really are a bunch of hooting pigs with doodoo rear end

How well does the kettle work? I remember hearing something about how they don't work as well in America do to power differences but while that sounded like BS I don't know enough to be sure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Any particular brands to favor/stay away from kettle wise or do they all work just as well?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dorium posted:

my palms were legit sweaty at the end. just excellently done.

This is excellent stuff but I just learned that every single mall I used to visit in my home town closed over covid and are being torn down and that has weirdly colored my watch of The Rolling Giant.

Like, yeah, the horrifying under ground mall is all dilapidated and poo poo, and yes, the 12ft tall animate puppet is probably murderous, but maybe it would be kind of cozy to walk around for a little bit? The narrator might have been a bit more relaxed in his subterranean hell realm if he took a moment to enjoy the vibes, is all I'm saying.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

This is excellent stuff but I just learned that every single mall I used to visit in my home town closed over covid and are being torn down and that has weirdly colored my watch of The Rolling Giant.

alf_pogs posted:

check out Dan Bell's Dead Mall series on YouTube, it's just meandering through closing or closed malls and is very relaxing

Gonz posted:

Seconding the love for Dan Bell’s Dead Malls and general abandoned spelunking series. His whole channel is just fantastic.

So, this isn't one of Dan Bell's, but if you dug The Rolling Giant you might want to take some time and watch this dead mall video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmAHZcpwx0

A certain handsome face shows up around 7:15.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I was very confused by the last half page of discussion until I realized I was mixing up the Poughkeepsie Tapes and Synecdoche, NY.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I kind of dig how the two halves of Mandy are in slight tension with one another, but there's definitely a vibe in the first half that's lost.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

alf_pogs posted:

the back half of Mandy to me felt pretty coherent with the first half, although not as strong (how can it be? it doesn't have the whole Linus / Mandy scene). but the back half is Cage giving us THE MOST in an insanely stylish movie, which, like... that's why i watch movies hahaha

That's the thing, though — it's not like the first half is less stylish!

It's just a switch from a focus on a sort of semi-romantic human vulnerability to something more mythic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 19, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Spookas, I need an opinion. I'm making title cards for my Plex collection of Creepshow (the TV series), and I'm wondering what you prefer, style A (with the comic titles) or style B (with a memorable visual from the episode)?

Do a mix: style B for the top left but style A for the bottom right.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ruddiger posted:

Isn’t that Mandy

Pretty much. Granted, Mandy is another one of those where the solution was also the problem.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xiahou Dun posted:

There are no horror purity tests.

The way I see things, all purity tests are horror purity tests.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd be more into it if Red had that beaming smile.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doltos posted:

NOBODY MAKES A WALNUT CAKE AT A HIGH SCHOOL PARTY. I WOULD HAVE PUT THE MIXING BOWL DOWN AND BEEN LIKE WOAH WHY ARE WE MAKING A CAKE ANYONE ELSE FEEL CULT INFLUENCES

i can't believe we have posters here in the pocket of big jiffy mix

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

War of the Worlds is a great horror film with a bad ending and some annoying rear end protagonists

One of those that's very good but almost great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Y'all are sleeping on Close Encounters of the Third Kind... which is understandable because the film was tranquilizing!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It'd be a cult classic darling if only it weren't directed by Steven Spielberg.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

I will say though, devoid of context it's not a great look.

It's not like genuine, actual zionism hasn't been in the news lately.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shrecknet posted:

It will never not astound me that they made a movie about giant robots fighting each other and it's mostly boring-as-poo poo discussions about player/fan safety in the Robot Jox events.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah sure that's a good point but here's my counter point "Giant Robot Chainsaw Dick".

Robot Jox knows exactly when and exactly how to go hard, but it has no idea what to do the rest of the time.

Still way better than Robo Wars. I saw that for the first time since renting it at Blockbuster a month or two back. Bizarrely racist, and the giant robot fight sucked.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Although I do think it’s a funny idea having some 5 year olds decided to frame a grown rear end man. Dennis the menace vs Freddy

I feel this would work out to be some kind of dream Home Alone. Freddy finally gets to Dennis only to get beaned by Mr. Wilson with a snow shovel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hollismason posted:

Totally unrelated but does anyone know how to gain control of a major movie studio. I uh may have made some promises.

Wait a few more years and you'll be able to buy WB for five dollars and change.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Under no circumstances do you have to watch the Godzilla movies in chronological order. The ones from 84 to 95 have some continuity, but that's it, everything else functions as stand alone movie

That's broadly true but some movies do acknowledge (certain) films that came before them. Ghidorah (the Three-Headed Monster) really benefits from following Mothra Vs, for example.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rare Exports is fun but I really wish it went farther than it did.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm gay too but the story behind Aronofsky buying the rights to Perfect Blue only to directly copy shots from it for use in Black Swan means I'll always hate him for it :colbert:

At some point I'm going to actually have to dedicate some time to learning what all went on with this, because while the end result certainly didn't serve Satoshi Kon as much as he might have wished, the various anecdotes I've been told have made it hard to tell how much of went on was actually unethical.

Like, I've been told on multiple occasions something along the lines of "people figured out Aronofsky stole those scenes after he loudly told everyone who'd listen to him." Is that Aronofsky being an rear end in a top hat or is that him being above board and giving attribution to a fellow director? How much of this is theft vs what would be a tribute if the other person were also a Hollywood director?

To be clear, I haven't watched Black Swan* and I haven't really looked into what happened myself. It's just how the situation is usually described seems ambiguous in a way I haven't seen acknowledged.

*edit: or Requiem for a Dream

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 17, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crescent Wrench posted:

EDIT: Updated version, top two rows are Requiem, bottom three are Black Swan.

I don't think this addresses my question.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

Id be interested in seeing if anyone came to conclusion before reading it online. I don't think it's especially clear at all unless you're already locked into that (rather boring) analysis.

Yeah, I don't buy it either. A bunch of person-shaped shadows standing behind windows is how you avoid showing the aliens.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dorium posted:

time to just let this play in a loop.

Huh, neat! I'm a little curious if the VHS version also has the VHS effect overlay.

I also wonder if watching it through a video tape makes the light flickering any less harsh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shrecknet posted:

counterpoint: Zach Snyder hates the untermensch and his DotD is extremely critical of queer people and the idea of sacrifice and working together. It's not the end of the world; his work is super watchable and entertaining but if you pick at the themes it's a pretty ugly movie

Bullshit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shrecknet posted:

Snyder has openly and publicly stared he is an objectivist

No he didn't. That's just factually false.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yes, this article backs up what I said.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Also it's wild that we're getting a sincere "making a movie about [thing] is an endorsement" takes from the loving horror thread.

Y'all know Freddy Krueger is problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gonz posted:

I watched this on Shudder just now, and it is extremely rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMCZkLBhycA

Yeah, it is! I love the way the space ships articulate; you can push that techno-organic aesthetic/metaphor way farther when you have the set move.