Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Found footage sucks
Agree that found footage sucks, both from a motion sickness angle and from a "why are you filming this?" angle, but the related 'horror mockumentary' genre gave us Lake Mungo and I will actual-factual murder you if you think that movie isn't the tightest poo poo ever.

Just watched Savageland and it very, very clearly was taking inspiration from Lake Mungo but tried to do its own thing and it was only OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJLF1cL2r0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

it's well on display in Poltergeist as well.
despite the rumors, Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 13, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

whats the best place to start for Benson and Moorhead?
Benson&Moorhead are a super-acquired taste and their movies are so languidly paced and full of semi-professional actors you're not sure things are even happening. They really do feel like modern Lovecraft in that way; nothing happens for forty pages then BAM! monster!

FWIW I bounced hard off of The Endless but loved Resolution. YMMV extremely widely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vampire Hunter D is great but VHD:Bloodlust might be even better. It's just a more complete movie to say nothing of how wildly more beautiful and skillfully made it is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anybody else going to see Terrifier in its limited theatrical re-release this week? Just me? :fiesta:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

goddamnit The Seed tricked me by having an amazing poster and someone said it was like Society and then it was just three of the dumbest people taking over an hour in what may be the slowest-paced movie I've ever watched. Seriously, even tone-poem arthouse poo poo moves faster than this.

e:

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’m late to the party but this is the best song from a Horror Movie…..it’s some Eurodance nonsense from Beyond Re-Animator and it loving rules

Eat poo poo, François Truffaut

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 24, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like how it's all these monsters and supernatural creatures and then just... "thief." like :shrug:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I need you all to know, Guillermo del Toro is the only person who knows how to use the internet. He's on bluesky and all he does is post about his horror-themed gunpla he's been building.

this man has an academy award.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guys I need to apologize, I am super-late to the party but MAD GOD might be the best movie of the year. This year, the year it came out, gently caress it - all years.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ihave a soft spot for 8, despite its limitations/flaws; 9 ("Jason Goes to Hell") to me is the absolute nadir of the series

I need you all to know, I was never a Ft13th fan, was strictly Nightmare on Elm Street back when Freddy vs Jason was as contentious a playground topic as Mario vs Sonic. Only ever saw the first one, then in a fit of pique I watched Jason Goes to Hell without watching the intervening 7 movies and knowing only that he's a zombie who kills camp counselors. Let me tell you, when I found out that Creighton Duke was not some monster hunter that's been hunting Jason for three movies but in fact a whole new addition, never mentioned before I was hooting and/or hollerin' something fierce.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS :cthulhu:

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN :black101:

SAVAGELAND :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJLF1cL2r0

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 30, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do it, it's worth a watch and an eerily quiet summer night is probably the ideal circumstances. It's only kinda horror though.

Counterpoint: Vast of Night is maybe the greatest 44m Outer Limits episode ever, stretched to a full-length feature. It's really good, but it is padded as gently caress.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

that would be Hellraiser 7: Deader which is the second-best Hellraiser after the original. It's really good!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

:siren: HOT TAKE ALERT :siren:

Here's an hour of me explaining why Hellraiser: Deader is the best Hellraiser

It's true! It's good!

quote:

I've thought a lot about what makes a movie a Hellraiser movie, and it really boils down to Desire.
Hellraiser VII: Deader, despite its ridiculously off-putting name that suggests all the worst of the Direct-to-Video horror sequels, acquits itself gloriously and ends up being, I think, probably my second-favorite Hellraiser in the franchise. Ace reporter Amy Klein (Kari Wuher) gets a peek at a snuff film sent to her London alternative-press paper, and the race is on for her to dive the rabbit hole of Hellraising. Since the plot is basically ancillary - person learns more about the box and its culture, opens the box, cue Doug Bradley in 3 hours of makeup, roll credits - let's talk about specific choices.

Amy Klein as a heroine is perfect. She's a tough reporter, willing to dive into the culture to get her story - but she's essentially alone, and her tough-girl persona starts to crack as she's confronted with the truly vile activities on display by the death cult. Speaking of which, the death cult (the horribly-named "Deaders") are the perfect antagonist, and really capture the Lovecraftian feel that Hellraiser has always hinted at. They've found some hedge against nature, some seam to exploit and get the tiniest taste of what truly supernatural power is. They're playing with daddy's gun, and we all know how that story ends.
Deader also does a great job of hinting at things to come. A party promoter Amy meets early in the film has his hair twisted up in little patches poking out (think Coolio, but shorter) and is so drug-addled he can barely form a sentence, just giving cryptic pronouncements. So - Pinhead via MDMA. And in that great scene, Deader makes the connection between sins of the flesh and orgiastic behavior and the world of the Cenobites. I really can't say enough about Kari's work as Amy here. There's an extended 5+ minute scene where she doesn't say a word or interact with anyone else, just attempts to remove a knife from her back, while trying to figure out why the knife sticking out of her chest isn't killing her. The whole thing is far more gruesome and unsettling than anything from the later SAW movies, if only because she has to avoid breaking down into madness and hysterics. We get to see Amy actually become the unflaggable reporter she played at in the beginning of the movie.

As I said at the beginning, if Hellraiser is about anything, it's about lust. This movie has several parallels and lusts - the Deader cult leader's lust for control, and Amy's lust to know. The idea of the andry's lust for control and the gyny's lust for knowledge is biblical, if probably unintentional, and makes for fantastic parallels. This might be the best pure Hellraiser story told, even more quintessential than the first. How Rick Bota made both this and the excreable Hellworld I'll never figure out.

If you squint just right at some oblique intimations, you can piece together a better movie in your head, which is the mark, I suppose, of a repurposed script that needed another pass but Miramax was absolutely not going to pay for that so instead we get first-draft-to-screen.

Still, there's a ton going on that is really nice - Bota somehow incorporates so much symbolism at once that it accidentally makes the movie good. Are the Christ themes and the Orpheus themes conflicting because Bota is bad at his job? (almost certainly!) or are they conflicting because Amy is a flawed, PTSD-stricken protagonist descending in to madness?

The tag at the end that recasts Charles as some sort of "feeding hottie reporters into the Cenobite woodchipper" monster doesn't really work for me but the rest of this movie is lights-out great.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 31, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think "rewatch" is a nebulous term. I watched all the SCREAMs this year to prep for SCREAM VI, so rewatching them again in October feels like a cheat. Meanwhile, I haven't seen THE FRIGHTENERS since I saw it in theaters in 1997. Maybe a 20 year grace period or something similar would be acceptable?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WeaponX posted:

20 years? How old do you think everyone is lol.
The average regdate of the top 20 posters in this thread is 2008.3 ( :regd08: ), meaning they're at least 33 (assuming they regged the day they turned 18). We're old now lol.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

Not only does DARK WEB kick rear end, if you can, track down a copy on DVD because they did the CLUE thing where there are three different endings that played on different theaters, and they're all bangers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

as always, whatever the question currently in the thread, the answer is LAKE MUNGO

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mover posted:

Dagon may not be my favorite horror movie of all time, but it is unquestionably the wettest

DAGON has an all-time of a degloving scene, so, y'know be aware.

what are ya'lls favorite deglovings?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I like in Hellraiser 2 when Julia gets yanked completely out of her skin. And you see her skinless body kinda wiggling around as it gets dragged back into the Labyrinth. Good stuff.

Hellraiser (2022) was the first time in a long time I actually got squicked out, and it was at the final degloving over the bottomless well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Everything Christopher Pike, I devoured that poo poo when I was a kid. Die Softly was a favorite. Bridges the gap from R.L. Stine to King nicely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

no.

no no no no no.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

After watching In the Mouth of Madness—what are some of the best executions of the Hobb's End style small sleepy spooky quaint King style town? I've already got Salem's Lot on the list.

Start here I guess?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please tell me it's about a goofy serial killer that goes around tripping people.

it's actually about an Evil Ronald Reagan (well, more evil), aka The Gipper

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://movieweb.com/thirteen-ghosts-set-to-be-revived-as-new-13-part-spook-filled-series/

They're turning Th13rteen Ghosts into a 13-part series, but more importantly they're bringing back GHOST-O-VISION from the 1959 original where you hold your phone up and additional ghosts are displayed!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

While we're on the subject of horror books in the horror thread, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now and very much enjoying it. Think I might read Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula next. Other than more King, what are some horror book suggestions the thread has? Ideally more on the side of spooky and/or fun than disturbing psychological horror kinda stuff.

Second screen gimmick done right. Castle would be proud.

It's more of a coffee table book but horror author Grady Hendrix proved his horror nerd bona fides with this book, which I found fascinating:

It's just a retrospective of those awesome yellowed dime-store horror novels and a celebration of what we left behind when everything became a minimalist solid-color cover and/or digital

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

While we're on the subject of horror books in the horror thread, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now and very much enjoying it. Think I might read Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula next. Other than more King, what are some horror book suggestions the thread has? Ideally more on the side of spooky and/or fun than disturbing psychological horror kinda stuff.
if you want King-on-all-coke level fun spoopy times, basically everything Robert McCammon wrote in the 80s was golden. Truly he was the "we have ice cream at home" of horror authors.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Engagement post of the day on Bluesky was "What is the best part three of a horror franchise?" and drat, there are some bangers to pick from:
  • Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead
  • Purge: Election Year

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also Final Destination 3 has one of the best kills of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_AeKsEj9VM
Final Destinations 2 and 5 are both massively better. 3 doesn't even have Bludworth!! :kratos:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like 3 more than 2 and 5. 3 has a bit more of the existential dread stuff that I really like from one that most of the sequels dropped.
2 leans all the way into utterly sadistic glee, like Death's Design was being piloted by a gremlin. 5 is just really solid and actually adds to the lore rather than just resetting to one and forcing us (and the protagonists) to clumsily google screenshots of previous movies' victims in the second act.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Finally getting some use out of my Shudder subscription and am now checking out The Mortuary Collection 2019.

WeaponX posted:

It’s good, fun wrap around and Clancy Brown was clearly having a great time.

Edit: forgot that was the penis birth one. great segment lol
Man this was just a blast. Absolutely top-tier IMO, the wraparound segment is juuuuust a little overindulgent, but you know what? Ryan Spindell earns it, and I really enjoyed almost all of this. The third story (Tell-Tale Heart redux) was a little rough, but the others were just lights-out, congealing the best of Raimi and Dante into one perfect little package. Not sure what the period-piece of the early 70s had to do with anything, just felt like it needlessly complicated things, but it was appreciated.

Did anyone else notice the shattered husband was the other guard in the TV interview, signaling maybe he and the other 'guard' were escaped nutcases who stole some uniforms

Clancy Brown channeling Angus Scrimm was megafun.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SilentChaz posted:

lol, I love how absolutely no one in the thread has gone with The Purge: Election Year.
Election Year is in fact really great, but it's like asking who's the best hitter of the 90s and then including Juan Gonzalez. Like, yeah, he was really good, but we're talking Griffey, Thomas, Gwynn, Bonds here so it kinda gets lost in the shuffle. FWIW, it's the best Purge movie by a lot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The best kill in NOES is puppet master kill.
:wrong:

it's Roach Motel and it isn't particularly close either

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What's something that's very spooky, but also a bit slow and melancholy? That just lets you soak in that spooky atmosphere. Ideally pre-90s.

LAKE MUNGO

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I thought Zombeavers would be a train wreck but it's actually pretty good and goes to some wild places

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Went over to a friend's house and they shoved the DVD for ANTRUM in my hands and said "just watch it," so I'm gonna go do exactly that. Will report back to the thread with my findings.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

update: I lived!

The found footage/mockumentary framing was wholly unnecessary; as a pure love letter to Deodato/Ruggerio/Pasolini it already works fine. A bit undercooked and padded, and travels down a well-rutted road to its inevitable climax, but just underwhelms. The problem with making a pitch-perfect early-70s horror flick is that we've had 40 years to refine and improve the formula, and splicing a few bits of a snuff film every 20 minutes isn't enough to keep our interest anymore.

Also what the gently caress kind of parent, even if they did what they had to to protect their son, tells their kid that the beloved family pet is in Hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The problem I had with Antrum was that it looked cheap as poo poo. Like its suppose to be from 1970 but you know they sat in a editors room and were like "Okay now apply a washed out filter, gently caress yeah". Then just went with that.

You can just loving tell that its a filter. It's all washed out and such but it looks nothing like films from the 70s looked.

Did you want them to actually use 35mm filmstock and ancient lenses?