Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

Speaking of trailers I asked my wife if she wanted to watch Ravenous with me and I showed her the trailer. The trailer was so bad it made me reevaluate my memory of the movie. Like I don’t remember the movie being hokey but the trailer sure makes it looks that way

https://youtu.be/l7BDiNktrLU

No, it's just a notoriously bad trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

It's an ad for the next Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File movie. And you should definitely recognize the location.

Hollismason posted:

I don't know what any of this is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, relating the story of how a teenaged girl was beaten, tortured, and murdered horribly isn't exactly fun stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

Upcoming movie about a Big Foot worshipping cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D118asy-14

I'm loving there.

Definitely misread that as "a big foot-worshipping cult" and like, I can't believe I have to say this...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I doing think it's really fair to call the Amityville movies a series or a franchise. It's like calling any movie with "Dead" in the title part of the Night Of The Loving Dead series.

edit although imagining the dead returning back on land while Nicole Kidman tries to deal with some losers on a boat is pretty funny

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was interning at a place doing post production work and even just getting coffee for them it was incredible how dumb the executive producers hanging out would be. One always wrote down her order (never said a word to me) for "café olé."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My 6 year old was getting too worked up by Hotel Transylvania, I want to introduce them to some of this stuff but I know it's too much right now. I bet when they're older they'll be real into some of this stuff though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

When I was that age my father showed me Jaws. It was a different time.

When I was really little I was a wuss too, I got really scared watching ET when the government agents are trying to get ET and he's almost dead when I was about this age. By the time I was 10 I was watching Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Rocky Horror, and Army of Darkness.

Yes, I know, one of these things is not like the other.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drunkboxer posted:

Well that’s not scary really, just sad as hell

Gmork also hosed me up pretty bad

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mover posted:

You know what hosed me up as a kid? That episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark where the kid gets trapped in a VR game with the computer virus. Genuinely gross body horror with the port growing out of the kid’s hand and the mindfuck with multiple layers of reality

The Langoliers-esque one with the glasses haunted me for a while.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The original is my favorite too, by a large margin. I don't know what it is, but it hits that perfect spot of being charming and genuinely inventive while also being kind of ridiculous but not trying to make it a joke.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

I hypothetically do, in that I own a DVD that sits in a plastic shell covered in polyester batting and surrounded by very fine particles of rubber. ED2 also.

Zwabu posted:

When I was in college we showed ED on VHS in my dorm about a million times.

One of my favorite pleasures was showing it to some unsuspecting new person.

“Jack.. of spades. Two… of spades.. JACK OF DIAMONDS QUEEN OF DIAMONDS RARRRRGH”

edit: Also, Demon Linda doing a reprise of the “furtive gaze around the necklace” game was just :discourse:

The musical cues in the first scene is called "Eye Games," the reprise later is called "Die Games."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've heard "the room is so big it has weather."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I got the Cusack one right away but got hung up on the mist one because I thought the guy looked like Dauber and I was thinking "but there's no tentacle monsters in The Stand?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Holy gently caress Evil Dead Rise is so good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw the play in 2007 when it was off broadway in new york, sat in the splatter zone. Unfortunately we discovered we were at the very end of the row and didn't get hit with any incidental splatter until the climax when one of the actors chucked a nearly-full blood bag directly at us. We went out to the bars covered in the corn syrup blood afterwards.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More like number 2

because it's gonna be poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Rewatched The Descent last night, which I last saw about 16 years ago. At the time I watched it, the cave-in scene near the beginning was the first and only time I'd had a panic attack during a movie. Anyway it's still got it, jesus christ.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Opopanax posted:

That first jumpscare/reveal with the camera is an all timer

That reveal is great and has been copied a bunch, but the thing you might be forgetting is there are like 4 awful jumpscares before that.

Juno is a pretty loving terrible friend though, eh?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Evil Dead is a haunted house movie and a drat good one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Paranormal Activity is explicit (maybe the sequels made this explicit?) that it's not a haunted house, it's a haunted lady with haunted artifacts.

Shining doesn't even take place in a house.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na trunkman!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Dear David and Exorcist are coming out on the same day, and this is my Barbenheimer.

Dear David Gordon Green, a documentary about the lousy remakes haunting my apartment.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Double posting to say I looked up the cast of Cobweb and there's someone that's so obviously descended from Gary Busey it's not even funny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I assumed he was Jake's but apparently he's also Gary's. Yikes!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

I have a much bigger problem with Halloween Kills. I actually think the whole thing would've left a much better taste in my mouth had they just done Halloween and Halloween Ends, two films instead of a trilogy. Kills was just goofy as hell and not in a good way. Goofy and Michael Myers isn't a good combo.

I thought Kills just showed that they didn't ever really understand what made Halloween work, both '78 and '18.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

NikkolasKing posted:

So what is the ranking of the Halloween movies in light of the new trilogy?

Halloween
Halloween 3
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Halloween (2018)
Halloween 2
Halloween Ends
-
-
-
-
Halloween H20
Halloween Kills
-
-
-
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Halloween 6
Halloween 8
-
-
-
-
-
-
Rob Zombie poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a virtualboy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did you see the Pickman's Model episode of GdT's CoC? Because Crispin has a world class What The gently caress Boston accent. He's also visibly in his mid 50s playing a college student.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vast of Night is really impressive on a technical level and I dig the vibe of it but there aren't really any incredible scares and they kind of fumble the climax.

Also the weird TV screen framing scenes do nothing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

I'mma check out Vast of night.

Do it, it's worth a watch and an eerily quiet summer night is probably the ideal circumstances. It's only kinda horror though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cowards, make an ANoES requel that ignores every movie but 2. Yes, even the first movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tempted to say it doesn't count. It's like considering every Pinocchio film part of a franchise.

It's less connected than Pinocchio, because at least they acknowledge that they're roughly adapting the same source material. The connection for the Amityville movies is somewhere between saying all movies about WW2 are related, all movies that take place in New York are related, and Asylum mockbusters being related to the original thing they're ripping off. It's kind of amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The name Amityville is public domain because it's the name of a place and as long as you're making a movie about that place it's reasonable to call it that. It also just happens to have enough cultural cache that people will hear it and immediately think of the thing with the house. So they have to pretend that they're not at all talking about the thing with the house, and instead just talking about some other things with other houses that are also in a place called Amityville, but they do that knowing that absolutely everyone will think of the thing with the house. It's incredible really.

It's like making a series of adventure movies that take place during the Jurassic and calling them like "Jurassic Lark" and "Parked in the Jurassic" and it's just people surviving dinosaurs, and a judge deciding that's totally cool and not at all stealing from Jurassic Park.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
F13 is where my mind goes when I think of an original movie in a franchise that is disproportionately lovely compared to it's cultural awareness.

F13 is a pretty lame slasher.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My late father in law was a film guy, MFA in film, made several documentaries with grant funding and edited several others for a friend that have some notability. Guy was also a big scifi/fantasy/space opera nut. Anyway he really lived alien resurrection for the vibes and style and atmosphere even if he readily acknowledged it was kinda lousy otherwise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Monster club is a particularly weird disposable late 70s Price vehicle. Like, just particularly bizarre.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wolfman 2012 has one of my favorite horror movie digging through books montages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

WHY BONER NOW posted:

may I recommend a little know film. A hidden gem, if you will: Ghostbusters

You mean the show with the gorilla? They made a movie out of that?