Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
:spooky: Reporting for duty! :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Mystery Incorporated is the Jason Lives of the Scooby Doo franchise.

What's the Jason Goes to Hell?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Phantasm IV was my selection on page 1998 of the last thread.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

Wes Anderson is my favorite director, although horror is so far out of his wheelhouse I can only imagine how that would turn out. I'd be there at the premiere, though.

I think PT Anderson could absolutely do it. Coens too.

The Daniels probably have a fun horror-comedy in them.

I don't know if Miyazaki has ever done a straight horror film, but there's some wonderful eerie and spooky imagery across the films of his that I have seen.

I'd love to see Charlie Kaufman do something overtly horror. (You can certainly make a case for I'm Thinking of Ending Things, although to me it's not quite so easy to pin down).

And there's plenty who have dipped their toes in I wish would have/have done it more. The late Robert Altman only really went there with Images and parts of 3 Women, but those are some of his most interesting films (3 Women is one of my favorites by anybody). Herzog I think I could only call his Nosferatu straight horror, but he's clearly capable of doing it. Lanthimos and Villeneuve have been mentioned as guys who have arguably done it, but I wouldn't mind seeing more, either.

In more idiosyncratic, deep cuts for my personal favs--John Maclean, best known as a musician for the Beta Band but the director of the wonderful Slow West, has only done that film so far (apparently another is on the way), but that film has such visual flair and an economical use of time I'd love to see a horror film. Andrew Bujalski is mostly known for mumblecore stuff, but also did the brilliant and bizarre Computer Chess, had some really out-there surreal and strange stuff at the end. I wouldn't find another out-of-his-comfort-zone swing for something spooky.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maniac (1980) has an extended sequence in the New York subway that ends up in the public bathroom (which dates the movie quite a bit, but I digress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6Mf-UPYv4

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain this to me, a person who adores and treasures One Cut of the Dead and recognized the location immediately but has no idea what the gently caress Senritsu Kaiki is?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've got Noroi on my watchlist already, but will his films appeal to someone with a general... ahem... distaste for found footage?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

This makes me feel glad. I saw 15 things for Sundance this year and this was one of 3 I didn't like, and it wasn't even burnout that had me not feeling it, it was the second film I'd watched at that point

Sarah Snook's a great actress for sure but man, I end up hating horror films with her in them. Winchester, Jessabelle, and now this. Predestination is the only other one she's been in I haven't seen and I'm kinda afraid to now

I had some mild interest in Run Rabbit Run just for her, but it's growing milder with each tepid review. So I can't speak to any of those horror films, but I did watch Predestination earlier in the week. It's different than I expected given the schlock premise (a time traveling temporal agent hops around the timelines to catch killers before they commit their crimes). It's really all about the characterization and the time travel paradoxes. I didn't realize it was based on a Heinlein story. That being said, Snook is definitely the reason to watch it. Ethan Hawke has top billing, but it feels like she has as much if not more screen time and really anchors the movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For comfort horror, I'll second A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, which is the sweet spot between horror and humor and a film for which I have tremendous nostalgia from childhood viewings.

I could also watch Phantasm any time. I've run the series several times even since Ravager came out. (The only photo I've had taken of myself with any kind of celebrity is with Reggie, in fact.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For October challenges, I'm in favor of:
-more challenges that incorporate the option of rewatches;
-at least a few challenges that can apply to multiple films (like how May allowed the decades/countries challenges to double up on the more specific ones);
-anything that lets people set their own goals but still feel like part of the challenge (whether that's some incremental goals/tiers/etc.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Really though regardless of the number I think the big thing is announcing them towards the start. That was what I liked best about Spooky Bingo so I'm glad you're planning on keeping that aspect of it going forward even if the format of the challenges is going to be a little different.

I should have included this in my list, too. The first I did the October challenge the Spooky Bingo board didn't drop until mid-October, and movies weren't allowed to count retroactively, so it was a really scramble for completionists.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's a strong contender but Dream Warriors by Dokken is the best

I feel like I have to agree because I like this one so much I own it.

(This is the only thread on the forums where anyone might get a kick out of it, so I just had to.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another good one, for the May challenge I watched a pretty wild movie called The Fear (https://letterboxd.com/film/the-fear/) which has a rap theme song over the end credits about the antagonist, an evil, sentient wooden mannequin named Morty. It's on Tubi if you're hungry for some schlock. And guess what? There's a music video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvL6NyzdT5o

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's an honorary degree.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AKZ posted:

Oh poo poo I just saw Esham at GotJ!

gently caress, did you see my post in time to request "Morty's Theme"?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Reggie building the quad shotgun in the Phantasm series.

Amen, brother.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I've only read about the original UK ending of The Descent, but it definitely reads to me as a great example of how "darker" is not always "smarter." I mean, what kind of hack director ends the movie with a "Gotcha! That last act was all a hallucination!" move? (Although, as pointed out, that ending does at least preclude the existence of The Descent 2, which was bad enough to make me angry.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW FRANKENSTEIN AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU’RE DOIN’ WITH MY TIME

Too long for a thread title, sadly.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In clickbait list news, AV Club posted their 20 greatest haunted house movies today (https://www.avclub.com/20-best-haunted-house-movies-ranked-1850661917):

20. Dark Water (2002)
19. The Uninvited (1944)
18. Sinister (2012)
17. The Conjuring (2013)
16. The Woman in Black (1989)
15. 13 Ghosts (1960)
14. Paranormal Activity (2007)
13. The Changeling (1980)
12. The Others (2001)
11. The Orphanage (2007)
10. Lake Mungo (2008)
9. Beetlejuice (1988)
8. Crimson Peak (2015)
7. Poltergeist (1982)
6. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
5. His House (2020)
4. House (1977)
3. The Haunting (1963)
2. The Shining (1980)
1. The Innocents (1961)

Obviously, feel free to mock the most egregious snubs and baffling inclusions, but this is really an invitation for recommendations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The omission of Evil Dead make me think they were considering "cabin in the woods" as a separate sub-genre, but that only explains SOME of the ones they whiffed on.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

I did not know there was a descent 2 and I'm gonna watch it and you can't stop me

You won't come back the same.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm just itching to see series 1 and 2 now.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Given that they've said it's a trilogy right off the bat I'm assuming Regan shows up in the end and takes over

Wait, they're letting him do this trilogy poo poo AGAIN?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Crazy how we from thinking Halloween 2018 was a fantastic reboot that could have served as a great conclusion to the series if they did just that.

Instead we got two sequels the last of which was a cinematic wet fart of an end.

It won't end, we are getting H50 in 2028 let's be real.

I did NOT think that, don't put that evil on me.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I need to run the Halloween series, at least the ones I haven't seen, because I'm shamefully missing a lot of ground. Maybe it would be a good October project.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From time to time I hear about how seeing Halloween 3 was one of the first dates my parents went on and they were confused as hell about what was going on in that movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I can see why you'd stop with 5. As for the rest: 6 is a pretty popular favorite, you'll often see it atop or near the top of franchise rankings; I enjoy 7 and have a soft spot for 8, despite their respective limitations/flaws; 9 ("Jason Goes to Hell") to me is the absolute nadir of the series; and Jason X/Freddy vs. Jason are super enjoyable trash in a slightly more modern style.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It Follows--the tall man appears in the doorway

Mulholland Drive--the man behind the diner

The Thing--take your pick--the defibrillator or the blood test

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FoneBone posted:

looking forward to seeing this tomorrow

stupid, pointless question for discussion: does this qualify as "A24 horror" if A24 wasn't involved in its actual production (they acquired it completed out of Sundance this year). The Witch was a Sundance acquisition for them too, so I'd have to say yes

I think it's fair to count it, they're still picking and choosing movies for distribution that they think fit in with their style, right?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Two more options for the blood:

You're really onto something here. I echo those giving the nod to 2.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Angel Heart, or for a more light hearted pastiche that would still scratch that horror detective itch: Cast A Deadly Spell

Angel Heart is certainly engaging, but for me it falls into that unfortunate category of "thoroughly compelling movie with an asinine twist ending that retroactively sours the whole experience."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

I'll second The Vast of Night. The Wailing involves a police investigation, and for investigations driven by more personal reasons, stuff like Impetigore, Censor, and The Night House might be of interest.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I first watched The Vast of Night, I enjoyed it, but I found it a little dry and underwhelming compared to the hype. But it stuck in my brain and I found myself thinking about it a lot, and on the eventual rewatch it solidified for me how good a film it really is. It's an interesting mix of some showy filmmaking (the big tracking shot towards the beginning being an obvious example, among other long takes) but also segments that could just as well be a radio play.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

The stuff has an investigator

The name's Mo. They call me me that because when people recommend investigative horror movies, I always want mo'.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

that would be Hellraiser 7: Deader which is the second-best Hellraiser after the original. It's really good!

:siren: HOT TAKE ALERT :siren:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
David Lynch is one of my favorite directors, and Eraserhead one of my personal hall of fame favorites. I can't say I'd reach for Lynch when I'm in the mood for a horror film, but at the same time I think any discerning horror fan is going to be into his stuff. (Although oddly enough the G-rated film The Straight Story is probably in my Lynch top 3 as well.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I have an extremely strong emotional response to the final scene of Fire Walk With Me with Cooper and Laura in the Red Room where he's sort of wordlessly comforting her.

I've never thought of it this way but Fire Walk With Me is probably the ultimate prequel, the best ever use of a prequel. Because if you watched(and obsessed over) Twin Peaks, you hardly got to know Laura. She was like a distant star where we only could understand it's presence by observing the effects it had on the surrounding area. The whole show is about the ripple effects of who she was and what happened to her. So to then see her struggle so vividly and to see how inevitable it felt in the moment and what it meant to actually be in her shoes, it just rips your heart out and adds a totally new layer to Twin Peaks that didn't exist before Lynch made that movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

Oh I’m aware but the only horror film I saw before I was 12 was Ernest Scared Stupid and as much as I love that film I don’t think I want it to be the only one I can rewatch for the challenge thread!

You'll watch Ernest Scared Stupid every day for 31 days and you'll LIKE it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Basebf, I understand the desire to allow more rewatches without making the rules overly complex. I think this has been mentioned in some form, but maybe it's just as simple as saying "you get X number of rewatches you can apply towards challenges." That way people can revisit old favorites but still have fun with the categories, and can get a freebie on a challenge where they've seen most of the good ones.