Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the dreaming boy is a realist: it's really bad and the setup is very unfortunate (a creepy stalker just decides to be normal one day and this freaks everyone out, including his target, who is the apparent romantic interest in the show and secretly likes him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okashi na Tensei (Sweet Reincarnation) ep 2:

It's an isekai series somewhat similar to Ascendance of a Bookworm in that someone gets isekaied to world on par with medieval Europe but with magic and they want to follow their real world obsession but they have to develop pretty much every part of their hobby from first principles to even get started. In this case the protagonist used to be a top level patisserie chef and he wants to go back to creating amazing desserts for the whole world but the remote area he was born into only has basic subsistence farming and he doesn't even have access to any apples or fruit, let alone sugar or most of the other refined ingredients needed for baking. Plus he has to help the entire village survive the harsh living conditions and roving bands of bandits before he can even consider resuming baking, but if that's what it takes then he's gonna gently caress up some bandits. :black101:

So far it's pretty mid but perfectly passable which puts it a step above the usual isekai :v:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

is the bang dream show something you could watch with zero knowledge of the franchise

i watched the first 3 episodes with no context outside of endorph's post in the spring thread and had no issues. replace all the band name drops with slayer and i don't think there would be any difference.

also it owns and there are way more shots of girls sitting silently in darkness while sirens blare in the background than i expected

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i watched the first 3 episodes with no context outside of endorph's post in the spring thread and had no issues. replace all the band name drops with slayer and i don't think there would be any difference.

also it owns and there are way more shots of girls sitting silently in darkness while sirens blare in the background than i expected

looking forward to the girl who's really into the raiders and breeding snakes

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the bang dream show is a loving banger holy poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/IIuvatar_/status/1676266353202798598?t=egfndaeZQDqbKgbdD5VRGA&s=19

Oh. OH. Ohhhhhhhhhh.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmfao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The longer version of the clip is even wilder:

https://twitter.com/divinenega/status/1676256202513154050?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Go Hands experience - skilled animation wasted on absolute awful shot composition and coloring

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if you can't handle gohands at their worst you don't deserve ufotable at their best

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that animation is actually weirdly competent (BY THEIR STANDARDS TO BE CLEAR, LET ME BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, it's still stiff and wonky all over the place) compared to stuff from W'z or Hand Shakers, it's just bizarrely spent on such a long tracking shot that doesn't really accomplish much of anything other than show that the heads of the studio really wish they were doing live action or full CG instead

i imagine they probably had to animate straight through the entire time to hit deadline which is why the flow is so disjointed and characters frequently robotically transition from one major key to another rather than have overlapping animation and better spacing

they're getting slightly better at characters turning in 3D space tho

gently caress can't believe they have TWO shows this season. what a feast

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 4, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

typical cgi anime

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other side of the bad divide - in that it's both bad and incredibly lazy - is Okashi no Tensei. Not this week's episode though, but rather next's which leaked early on CN streaming. This section is doing the rounds for being incredibly bad even by the low, low standards many of these works have already.

https://streamable.com/lvciww

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

On the other side of the bad divide - in that it's both bad and incredibly lazy - is Okashi no Tensei. Not this week's episode though, but rather next's which leaked early on CN streaming. This section is doing the rounds for being incredibly bad even by the low, low standards many of these works have already.

Looks like there's a bad connection causing everyone to rubberband.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

where are the pastries

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

lmao at the copy+pasted army of the same five guys

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah thats clearly some sort of rubberband glitching and not part of the animation. looks like any given low priority LN show aside from that?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

would sincerely like to know who at gohands is like "ah, yes, this camera angle an inch off the ground pointed 60 degrees upward is the shot"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lol I just tried watching this show because I heard some people say the manga was good. At first I thought the animation style must be a deliberate bit but then it kept loving going.

Like there are bits where I swear characters clip through things and de-render, it's like one of those extremely cheap games they sell on steam.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ehhh, the copypasted army of bandits who also aren't animated at all, the cliff being on fire and then just not, the enormous rain of arrows, and the wall magically shrinking in-between shots so the bandit chief can now reach over it (seriously, go back and compare its height between shots) are all on the bottom end of the scale even without the stuttering. And the jerkiness of the arrow blocking scene doesn't seem to just be rubberbanding either.

GateOfD posted:

where are the pastries

Look, they clearly needed an episode to show how the pastry/patisserie chef reincarnated as child can apply his cooking knowledge to fending off a bandit attack. Somehow. This seems basically the same as the OP farming one(s?), where there's a vaguely interesting SoL concept buried there, but instead they're just as OP in everything as the more standard variety of reincarnation show.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

the experience of sipping robitussen before coming to class, captured thru animation

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol I just tried watching this show because I heard some people say the manga was good. At first I thought the animation style must be a deliberate bit but then it kept loving going.

i tried the first ep and it's not great even ignoring the, uh, style

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would much rather a mid show have a bewildering GoHands treatment than just be completely unmemorable

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lord Koth posted:

It almost makes musashi gundoh look competent.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

the dreaming boy is a realist: it's really bad and the setup is very unfortunate (a creepy stalker just decides to be normal one day and this freaks everyone out, including his target, who is the apparent romantic interest in the show and secretly likes him)

Yeah I tried it on a whim yesterday and couldn't make it through the first episode, truly awful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i would much rather a mid show have a bewildering GoHands treatment than just be completely unmemorable

Depends how likely you are to projectile-vomit from motion sickness while watching it, I would assume.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how likely you are to projectile-vomit from motion sickness while watching it, I would assume.

That's what it made me feel like, motion sickness. I always felt weird watching gohands stuff but somehow never put two and two together. Probably because I don't normally get motion sick.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

would sincerely like to know who at gohands is like "ah, yes, this camera angle an inch off the ground pointed 60 degrees upward is the shot"

Yeah that's what makes it next level, it's one thing when you get bad animation due to crunch or limited resources but so much of this has to be deliberate creative decisions :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its really funny comparing this to bangdream mygo ep 3 which also does a ton of weird shots but for an actual purpose and in a way that actually looks good despite the slightly stiff cg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bang dream show is a loving banger holy poo poo
speaking of hell yeah

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

its really funny comparing this to bangdream mygo ep 3 which also does a ton of weird shots but for an actual purpose and in a way that actually looks good despite the slightly stiff cg

they go for it in smart ways in bangdream - you mentioned ep 3 but i loved it in episode 2 when the guitarist did the evh warmup thing in the coffee shop and they actually animated her vibrato

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love this shot where you see tomori's sketchbook, it provides so much insight into how she views the world and they dont really call attention to or explain any of it its just there

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is gohands the one that made that mess of an adaptation of that cyberpunk gadget show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ex-Arm? No that was done by Visual Flight and directed by a guy who had never done animation before. Go-Hands is far more intentional with their creative choices while the ex-arm show was mainly just laughably incompetent.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 4, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

speaking of hell yeah

I think I'll start working on a thread for the MyGO anime (slash Bandori as a whole in case people go back to watch the previous content) because I really do think it's a must watch.

Edit: Thread here

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 4, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Ex-Arm was just incompetence. They went into anime with no knowledge of how anime works and a huge chip on their shoulder about it.

Gohands has a lot of experience making shows, they're just baffling in their directorial choices and how much effort they put into their animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

is gohands the one that made that mess of an adaptation of that cyberpunk gadget show

also im not sure if you were joking but i want to be clear that gohands isnt a cg studio

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i love this shot where you see tomori's sketchbook, it provides so much insight into how she views the world and they dont really call attention to or explain any of it its just there

What does the text say?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the number of shows im interested in this season has been reduced to one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Like there are bits where I swear characters clip through things and de-render, it's like one of those extremely cheap games they sell on steam.
I feel like a bad adaptation like this is more incentivizing to check out the manga, rather than less, possibly in a "how and what did they gently caress up" way. like with lucifer and the biscuit hammer, jitsu wa watasi wa, or faraway paladin, fans of the series were constantly like NO THE ANIME DOESN'T EXIST JUST READ THE MANGA and that'll probably be the case here