Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

How do you know this, seriously? I have to use this site (https://myanimelist.net/anime/season) to figure out what's interesting for the upcoming season.
on livechart you can sort by airdate. so far FLCL Grunge, a kids show called "Chickip Dancers", and The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy have aired, and S-Rank Daughter is tomorrow, Frieren on Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

How do you know this, seriously? I have to use this site (https://myanimelist.net/anime/season) to figure out what's interesting for the upcoming season.

https://anichart.net/Fall-2023 and sort by start date

or https://www.livechart.me/timetable has a weekly schedule view

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the big frieren premiere is on friday, thats the first thing that is likely to generate discussion

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're calling it 'frieren friday'

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Fuckoff With Your Movie-length Premiere Friday

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

e: yeah The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy has aired at least

AI generated-rear end title

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the MAL seasonal page isnt as good because a) they sometimes randomly have shows from future seasons on the list because there was an early screening of the first episode at a con and b) after the first week they rewrite all the show descriptions to be 3x as long as the original blurb and yet somehow say less about what the show's about

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

lol

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

symbolic posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > Fall Season 2023: AI generated-rear end title

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

https://anichart.net/Fall-2023 and sort by start date

or https://www.livechart.me/timetable has a weekly schedule view

I usually use https://www.senpai.moe/?season=summer2023 but they haven't added Fall 2023 yet.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

i use the superior https://anichart.net

marumaru
May 20, 2013

haypliss posted:

fail opinion
movie length premieres ftw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

cave emperor posted:

I usually use https://www.senpai.moe/?season=summer2023 but they haven't added Fall 2023 yet.

senpai.moe has my favorite format for keeping a schedule with the table but they usually take the longest to update

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Maybe the studios are sick of people ignoring the 3-episode rule and have decided to take matters into their own hands?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want more movie length anime starts

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

genuinely hope it becomes a new trend

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

genuinely hope it becomes a new trend

3 hour opening episode of part 3 of part three of the final part of Attack on Titan.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Doing a long opening makes sense for Frieren and was also great for My Go too. If it works for the series why not do it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

I can see it working for Frieren. Any other movie length 1st episodes to look for

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Doing a long opening makes sense for Frieren and was also great for My Go too. If it works for the series why not do it

MyGO just released the first three episodes on the same day, it wasn't a single long episode. Not a fan of it personally, but especially where there's an extremely obvious cut-off which they don't take (Ryza)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Since the season's basically over with a couple of stragglers: watched five things. Roughly in the order I liked them.

BanG Dream: It's MyGO!!!!!: This has been my favorite show all year. Turns girls starting a band into messy human drama that's compelling and well-written, and tons of striking direction and shots elevate the CG animation. Loved it.

Gene of AI: I am still enjoying this - I love the setup, the episodic nature is giving me 90s syndicated TV vibes for reasons I can't totally explain but I enjoy anyway, and the questions they pose with the episodes are usually thought provoking. The thing that ultimately holds this show back is that it often doesn't have anything particularly insightful to say about its subject matter, but I still enjoyed this on vibes and the handful of episodes where I think it does explore an interesting concept fully.

Zom 100: This one bums me out. I love the idea of turning a zombie apocalypse onto its head by having it be an escape for miserable people, and the animation is great. The first half of the season was pretty rough from a plot standpoint, but once the crew got together and they could lean into the concept a bit and have some interplay between characters that aren't obviously going to die right away it started to pick up some, and I think it could round out and be really fun in the last couple of episodes if they ever escape production hell.

Jujutsu Kaisen: I got into this late and I loved the first season - the fights are fun, the humor lands, and the writing is just heady enough to carry you to the next fun shounen bit. I think this continues in Season 2 - I loved Hidden Inventory - but I'm not really a fan of the twist that Sugaru has been a brain cursed spirit for 80 percent of the runtime, even if this is indicated fairly well by the writing, and it's soured me on it a bit.

Undead Murder Farce: This was kind of goofy and charming the entire runtime, but it's kind of weirdly paced and the last arc was by far the weakest of the three. Ultimately it was just fine, I think, and it probably works better as a binge watch, so if you wanna kill a few hours watching an anime stuffed full of the public domain's greatest hits have at it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Saw the Undumb Woman Voluntary Manslaughter Fart ending today Someone better pick up the phone because I CALLED IT! Also the light-bright fight scene with the culprit was really awesome. Poor maid just can’t stop getting caught up in lesbian orgies. Was definitely the shows weakest arc but I thought it ended strong. I want a season 2 definitely. Best show I watched this season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

the issue is a lot of series it doesnt work for are doing it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah as mentioned earlier it didn't work for Ryza especially since they didn't finish the games story despite the extra long first episode

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tales of Woe posted:

the big frieren premiere is on friday, thats the first thing that is likely to generate discussion
S-Rank Daughter is a really good manga, so if the adaptation is good it'll be worth keeping an eye on

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm ready to see how Eminence in Shadow does its 2 best arcs so far. Hope there's a full episode spent on the basics of credit-based banking and the threat counterfeiting poses to it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

chumbler posted:

I'm ready to see how Eminence in Shadow does its 2 best arcs so far. Hope there's a full episode spent on the basics of credit-based banking and the threat counterfeiting poses to it.

Oh man that was one of my favorite "isekai protagonist explains overly complicated invention" things.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not to forget Oshi No Ko, either. I enjoy longer openings if the series has the material to support it. You don't have to wait so long to see if a series is going to go anywhere at the start.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if it doesn't work for the series it's functionally identical to releasing 3 episodes

the worst case scenario is "the same as it would be otherwise"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Doodles posted:

Not to forget Oshi No Ko, either. I enjoy longer openings if the series has the material to support it. You don't have to wait so long to see if a series is going to go anywhere at the start.

oshi no ko is the best execution of that to date. i still strongly believe that it wasn't just a good move, it was essential for the success of the anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

if it doesn't work for the series it's functionally identical to releasing 3 episodes
its not

bang dream my go was 3 episodes.

ryza was an 80 minute long episode. the entire thing was one flowing episode. there were no hard cuts in the middle of it. the presentation, direction, and stylings were based around it being a triple length episode. it was not the same as 3 episodes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it's fine for something like Oshi no Ko or Frieren where if it aired normally the first several weeks of discussion would basically be over the prologue.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

the worst case scenario is "the same as it would be otherwise"

I think can be worse by indicating that there will be be plenty of padding and the producers don't understand what makes the show work. Looking at you, Demon Slayer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sorry, couldn't hear you over my stacks of cash I got for playing three episodes in a row in a movie theater

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Really not getting any inter-season downtime, are we?

(This probably happens a lot, but this time it's shows I care about)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

Sorry, couldn't hear you over my stacks of cash I got for playing three episodes in a row in a movie theater

Idolm@ster Million Live already ahead of you by airing all of their episodes split into 3 movie length blocks and putting it in theaters before the show has even aired on TV.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

See also Gundam Unicorn and Origin turning OAV into TV edits (And being worse for it)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Origin was gorgeous and made me love the gently caress out of that Amuro timeline again. (Bounced off of original Gundam hard since, well, it was airing before 9-11 and the world went fucknuts).

A Gundam Kai styled redo with those Origin visuals :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yes. I understand what you're saying completely.