Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but what's the link between 9-11 and not liking OG Gundam lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They stopped playing it on US TV because 9/11.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Azran posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but what's the link between 9-11 and not liking OG Gundam lol
You don't remember the Zakus that crashed into the WTC White Base???

CN hyped up the show as a Summer event thing and it underperformed (likely because it wasn't the bisshie stuff that was rampant in Wing and partly because it was 1970s era animation and it turned off folks that hate Old poo poo).

It was officially put on hiatus a day after the 9-11 attacks, just some 5 episodes shy of the end.
As a young adult it remained a memory of "The Gundam that was so bad it was canceled then wiped from the timeline" as a result and I was never properly motivated enough to revisit it.

Granted, that was the summer I got out of school and then I started Uni like 5 days after September 11 so it was kind of a funky summer/year to begin with.

The Colonel posted:

Yes. I understand what you're saying completely.
It's only a problem if you smell toast.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 28, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are you sure you dont smell toast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FilthyImp posted:

It was officially put on hiatus a day after the 9-11 attacks, just some 5 episodes shy of the end.
As a young adult it remained a memory of "The Gundam that was so bad it was canceled then wiped from the timeline" as a result and I was never properly motivated enough to revisit it.

what

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Trying to explain Theory of Mind to internet posters like Char explaining ballistics to Kycilia Zabi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wait, was Bungou Stray Dogs Season 5 supposed to be only 11 episodes? That's odd.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

marumaru posted:

oshi no ko is the best execution of that to date. i still strongly believe that it wasn't just a good move, it was essential for the success of the anime

If they didn't do it that way, I probably would've bounced off of the anime like I did the manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, was Bungou Stray Dogs Season 5 supposed to be only 11 episodes? That's odd.

Yes.

Anyways the new season thread will be up later tonight

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

I assume the Frieren start is going to be like
just covering the heroes adventures? and at the end it starts with her solo journey as she's left alone, maybe finding her two new companions

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Silver2195 posted:

They ran out of manga, so main series stuff also won't be back for a while.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Time to finish Undead Murder Farce I guess.

also, S-Rank Daughter 01 is out already..oh no Fall is here. One of my personal highlighted titles on my list.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

I'm ready to see how Eminence in Shadow does its 2 best arcs so far. Hope there's a full episode spent on the basics of credit-based banking and the threat counterfeiting poses to it.

I hope they manage to fit in Red Tower, John Smith, and Black Rose, because Black Rose is a hell of a way to end a season.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

haypliss posted:

They still have a couple LNs to adapt, though (55 Minutes and Storm Bringer), so they should have the material for another season in a year or so.

I'm curious where the manga goes from here, actually. I had assumed that after the Decay of Angels was defeated, the plot would return to multi-sided conflict along the lines of the Guild arc, revolving around Christie, Fitzgerald, and possibly Mori making plays for the Book. But now I guess villains will be targeting Fukuzawa to get One Order rather than Atsushi to get the Book.

Also, in a series with so many death fake-outs, it's good to see two major villains (Fukuchi and Dostoyevsky) actually die. Actually, I'm still a bit paranoid about Dostoyevsky surviving somehow because we weren't literally shown the corpse, just a severed arm.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
To me there's no question Fyodor is alive, it feels like there's more they can do with him and he just is the sort of obnoxious motherfucker to deny everyone satisfaction by hanging overhead. Sigma feels like the only point against him, since whatever he absorbed could be used to keep Fyodor relevant while staying actually dead.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

haypliss posted:

Just the right excuse for Bungo Stray Dogs WAN S2!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

haypliss posted:

To me there's no question Fyodor is alive, it feels like there's more they can do with him and he just is the sort of obnoxious motherfucker to deny everyone satisfaction by hanging overhead. Sigma feels like the only point against him, since whatever he absorbed could be used to keep Fyodor relevant while staying actually dead.

They wouldn’t spend so much time hyping up his mystery superpower only to kill him off before even revealing what it was. My guess is that’s what allows him to survive and figuring out the secret will be the key to killing him for real.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

GateOfD posted:

I assume the Frieren start is going to be like
just covering the heroes adventures? and at the end it starts with her solo journey as she's left alone, maybe finding her two new companions

I dont know if you've read it or not but it starts with them already done with their adventure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Kinnikuman anime coming next year:

https://twitter.com/kin29man_anime/status/1707409841310802063

It seems to be an adaption of the Perfect Origin arc and Production IG will be handling it rather than Toei

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Azran posted:

The twin towers could have been a mother to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So after Gundam Wing's very successful run on Toonami, Cartoon Network was like "gently caress yeah let's do more Gundam. Maybe we could do something like Gundam X, or you got a new one coming out soon, we could do that" and Bandai said "No. You will air this cartoon from 1979 to an audience of early 2000s American teens." Which is a decision that was considered by some to have shot Gundam's popularity in America in the foot.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

they did it right by doing G Gundam after, but after that..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

So after Gundam Wing's very successful run on Toonami, Cartoon Network was like "gently caress yeah let's do more Gundam. Maybe we could do something like Gundam X, or you got a new one coming out soon, we could do that" and Bandai said "No. You will air this cartoon from 1979 to an audience of early 2000s American teens." Which is a decision that was considered by some to have shot Gundam's popularity in America in the foot.

Bandai's marketing decisions are up to interpretation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread is up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042922

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: no the other thread

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

7 Spellblades was a weird show. It didnt seem to know what kind of show it wanted to be. Theres so many plot lines that none of them get all that fleshed out. One moments its just magic school, then it becomes a revenge story to kill the teachers, and then its about fighting the other students.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Time to contribute to the end-of-season retrospective.

The Gene of AI -- I've mentioned before how, at season's outset, I was mildly disappointed that this ended up being more about open-ended technological-philosophy vignettes rather than the futuristic suspense thriller I was hoping for. But having watched it to completion, I think I actually liked this one the most of the Summer 2023 anime I followed. I didn't find the lack of spectacular visuals a problem to the degree that other posters did, they seemed serviceable throughout. And while the questions the show dwelled on weren't original, they did approach them with a good sense of nuance in most episodes. In fact, the show's solid grasp on the tone it was going for was its greatest strength, which it put on full display for its finale, even as its lead actor walks into hell. I'm hesitant on whether I want this to get another season; some others who've read the manga claim the plot goes off the rails. Still, given how much of the open-ended episodes I saw earlier could be used as setup for another story, I suspect that the path the manga ended up going was the author's intent all along.

Undead Murder Farce -- At the halfway point in the season I talked about how this anime was my most solid weekly dose of "drat, that episode went by that quickly, what happens next?" How the mighty have fallen. The latter half of the show lost me. It wasn't the spectacular implosion of plot spaghetti that I thought it was going to suffer from, given how many public domain characters it decided to throw in. Actually, Sherlock was handled pretty well, which is impressive considering that is the character that most other anime TV shows media screw up. No, instead it managed to throw in a number of my personal pet peeves. Have the villains on the cusp of obliterating our hero crew, only to have them pull back at the last moment for vague, unintelligent reasons? Multiple times? Check. Take the 'genius' lead villain and have him reveal his grand plans to the main cast? Check. Bonus peeve-points for the plan resembling some hackneyed chaff that would be right at place in, say, The Vatican Miracle Examiner. Oh, and the grand evil plan that our heroes travel to a remote mountain village to stop? Not even followed up on in the final arc. For all we know they failed miserably. It doesn't help that the main cast provided material support in what I can only describe as a village holocaust. The poo poo kicker cherry on top? The cast deduces who the killer is (who has been mutilating tweenage village girls for months), they capture said killer, and then they... just let the killer go? Because they were using those village girls as sacrificial pawns for their own vaguely noble cause (that probably could have been achieved just as efficiently without, y'know, killing children)? I mean, I'm a firm believer that fictional characters need not be paragons of virtue at every turn; flaws make for interesting stories. But, man... that kinda soured me on the whole anime.

Dark Gathering -- This feels like an anime that was made in the early 2000s, complete with sweat drops, concave noses, and the most ridiculous "Take Your Daughter to Hot Topic" Day sense of goth style. Despite that, or maybe because of that, I actually found it somewhat endearing. Given the setup I expected it to dip into some rote shonen "start out having ghost adventures, throw in psychic powers at some point, and before you know it you've got a rogues gallery worth of elite spirit-users and their captains and their scheming masters and their masters' shadow-masters and..." We may still get there, but right now its playing out more like "So, who would win in a fight: Hachishaku-sama or Kuchisake-onna?" Which is entertaining enough to keep me engaged. The VA for Yayoi does a pretty good job, too. It's uncommon-enough nowadays for anime to get multi-cours runtime a year that I think I'll keep with it into Fall.

Ooku: The Inner Chambers -- It's got an interesting premise, even if it is easy to poke holes in the numbers the anime throws at you. However, unlike Gene of AI, this is a show where the workmanlike visuals grated on me. That wasn't the only thing either, it kind of feels like one of those anime where the author has a predetermined idea where the story ought to go but hasn't put the same level of thought into the characters themselves. Meaning that the author's hand is a bit too obvious in some scenes where characters act a certain way that feels disjointed with how they acted earlier, or maybe the resistance that they would logically encounter is brushed aside a bit too easily. Don't get me wrong, there are worthwhile moments in this anime, but they are stuffed between a fair amount of eyeroll-worthy ones.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Malsangoroth posted:

Time to contribute to the end-of-season retrospective.

we're pretty closely aligned on gene of ai and murder farce, and i also got that 2000s vibe off of the little bit of dark gathering i watched. this was a good read.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Time for the seasonal retrospective to all the zero people who care!

Shows that I Dropped:

Reign of the Seven Spellblades: I heard in advance that the pitch for this show was deceptive and it was basically The Count of Monte Cristo at a magic school that pulled heavily from Nasuverse stuff, and watching it I remembered why exactly I bounce off so hard from everything in the Nasuverse. It manages to thread this needle of being simultaneously really bland despite having these big twists and clearly aiming hard to shock. When the show did officially tilt its hand and show its protagonist doing some revenging I was kind of disappointed because as hard as it was clearly trying to go it was just kind of a meh experience so I let it go.

Ayaka: I really don't ask much from the shows I watch, all I demand is that they do absolutely anything at all novel. I'm not expecting something completely revolutionary or wholly unique or a massive paradigm shifting genre work. I have watched and enjoyed a number of shows that are goofy and cliché ridden, but at the same time every one of those shows that I have watched and enjoyed brought something to the table. I bring this up because after watching the first three episodes of Ayaka and not finding absofuckinglutely ANYTHING new I washed my hands of it. Clichés exist for a reason, but you can't build an entire show worth a drat out of them.

Sunshine in the Mirror: Yohane the Parhelion: This whole boondoggle was a profound disappointment. The opening pitch was kind of great, and the poe-facedness of making a magical fantasy world that's functionally identical to modern-day earth was kind of great. I also liked Yohane's deeply relatable frustrations and the cast looked good early on. And she also had a fun dog sister, and there was some plot going around that included monsters and had an Idol Sentai Team and an Idol Kamen Rider and Yohane had vaguely described magic powers and everything looked like it was going to be a cool action fantasy Idol anime built on these alternate takes of established characters! And then nothing happened.

The show had an incredible pitch and an amazing opening throw and it just completely struck out. The cast just faffed about doing nothing for the middle third of the show and Yohane and the rest lost all their interesting traits and by the time it looked like something might've happened I had run out of patience and dropped it. Sometimes you should start as you loving mean to go on show.

Helck: I dropped this incredibly limp adaptation and started reading the manga and I just never looked back. The source material for this one is GREAT.

Shows I finished!

Reincarnated As a Vending Machine I Wander The Dungeon: So this show sounded like a joke, and indeed had been passed around as a punchline for a while now, but in practice, no, they were completely serious about this premise. I mean as serious as you can be in a show where the main dude got reincarnated as a magic vending machine. What actually surprised me, honestly, is that the show absolutely wholeheartedly committed to the bit. The main dude literally is just an immobile vending machine that can only communicate in stock phrases. He's functionally the unseen supply convoy from a fire emblem game with a couple of extra magic tricks. I also have to respect how many different types of vending machines the show pulls out and how many goofy plans they accomplish on the back of having a magic vending machine. It's no masterpiece, and the show absolutely cannot pull off anything remotely serious, but it was still a very enjoyable show. A junkfood show, which is appropriate given it's about a vending machine.

Undead Girl Murder Farce: This was a fun show, and absolutely at its best when it was just a classical detective story in a world with a lot of weird monster people. It was a stylish show with smooth animation, good production values, a fun cast, and as was mentioned previously in this thread the show is a little bit uneven. The final arc with the werewolves has been mentioned a couple of times as a comparatively weak ending and I broadly agree. Honestly, I kind of feel like this series having a major central plot revolving around Moriarty's Legion of doom and also the Insurance Fascist Quincy Redshirts might have been it missing a trick, though I do appreciate that the evil organizations weren't ultimately that important in resolving the final mystery. Maybe it's just me but I kind of hope that the light novels pull a Nero Wolfe and just off both the evil organizations and carry on as before. I'll probably watch another season of this if it shows up

Gene of AI: I actually liked this show a lot, and as I said earlier in the thread it's because it didn't turn into a conspiracy thriller or something similar. The pitch of the series is essentially to run established character archetypes and story beats, stuff you'd recognize a glance and have seen dozens of times over just with the added wrinkle that we are in a near future world with multiple different kinds of artificial intelligence and other advanced technologies. We have a classic sports rivalry story among high school kids except one of them is a humanoid android, we have an odd duck out story about a elementary school student learning to make friends but he's a robot, there's a child who won't let go of a treasured toy but it has an AI in it, there's a troubled young musician who lashes out uncontrollably but as a humanoid this could literally be programmed out of him… And of course the central bit exploring the fallout of a world where a person's mind could literally be copied and duplicated.

And like I said one of the things I really enjoyed about the show was that it wasn't aiming to be big and sweeping and shocking. The show puts emphasis not only on what would be different but also what would be the same, and in so doing finds new ground to cover. And as this goes on there's a couple of stories that lead to some interesting questions that are left to hang in the air in interesting ways. At the same time the show maybe isn't as impactful or trenchant as it could be. I admire its classy restraint and measured tone, but sometimes I think that holds the show back. Personally I think for shows like this you occasionally need to be full on nasty, and while some the material is there for it I don't think the anime did enough to make those moments hit home. Also the ending, while a natural point to cut it off, was still pretty drat weak.

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: Anime the season, easy contender for anime of the year. This show blew me the gently caress away. I was really not expecting this one to be an absolute tour de force, but here we are: MyGO is a genuinely jaw-dropping work of drama. The cast is absolutely incredible (plus a cat) and it does an amazing job getting across all of these wildly distinct, flawed, deeply human characters clashing and connecting. It is one of the most compelling works of anime I have seen in a long ALONG time. It also has some unbelievably good storytelling chops, the show can fit an entire half season's worth of back story in 15 seconds and it is some of the best use of CGI animation I have ever seen. The direction is stellar, and it makes use of the medium in a way that puts many traditionally animated shows to shame. Seriously, this is an unbelievably good show and I am looking forward to the sequel with another cast of walking disaster areas.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Time for the seasonal retrospective to all the zero people who care!

Thank you for posting this (and to all the others who have!). I very much enjoy reading them.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This was a season of mostly backlog for me, but:

Helck - It's a workmanlike adaptation, I can't really point to anything terrible about it, but I stopped midway through despite loving the manga. I may come back to binge it later.

And something excellent that might be my favorite of the year:

BanG Dream: It's MyGO!!!!! - Don't let the intimidating title, CGI, or long franchise history dissuade you, you can watch this totally fresh and enjoy it. The character writing and direction is both excellent, and the climax of the season is an anime tour de force. Seriously!

pork never goes bad posted:

Thank you for posting this (and to all the others who have!). I very much enjoy reading them.

:same: I always appreciate the writeups.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, summer's finally over. Very average season overall, which I suppose is a step up from spring. Are three of these just the same review, who can say.

Undead Girl Murder Farce: Cool visual flair, but the quality of the mystery writing really fell off after the first arc. I especially don't care for how much of the runtime is taken up by flashy fight scenes with Moriarty and his league of supervillains, with every encounter amounting to nothing much more than pumping our body count numbers up a bit and then parting with an amicable farewell. Effectively, it's really only the first story of three that I enjoyed without any major reservations, and it's carrying real hard in my overall feelings on the show by the end. Kind of disappointing.

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War - The Separation: I'm not actually done watching this season yet, but I don't think that matters. Don't really care to comment on the writing this season, because yup, series of fights in the middle of a long shounen arc, but man, I love that OP. It's cute reframing everyone and everything that happens through the lens of a casual setting. I wish that anime was real.

https://files.catbox.moe/5z7xv8.webm

Cardfight!! Vanguard: will+Dress S3: Honestly all of the Overdress anime has had issues with building proper character arcs while working in the space of discrete one cour seasons, and this season has fumbled the hardest with it. We're even strictly worse compared to last season at portraying the antagonists as actual threat because any time we lose people to their team we immediately get them back the next episode. We do get some fun individual eps and still the best animation Vanguard's ever had at least. Shout out to most successful vanguard meme song Breaking the Rock. WTB 1 Full Blast SEC. 😔

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: I dunno, man. What got me on the MyGO train to begin with was Anon playing the drama version of the straight man for the group, cutting right through the teenage angst quagmire. But that quickly gives way when she becomes part of the quagmire and the whole thing is just an unrelentingly tense atmosphere for a good stretch of episodes. Which is fine, sure, I love my melodrama, but the thing that sinks it for me is that I don't think the thing they're all striving towards is worth pursuing. It's understandable why they'd all want to be in a band; it exists as both a source of community and a creative outlet. But this band in particular is plagued with communication issues and toxicity, and only clung on to because they're teenagers and don't know anything better. It's so much effort to salvage this poisoned well, and I don't think it's worth it. I wish we delved more into any of our main cast's issues. The glimpses we get serve little more than as a game advertisement, and the way they resolve their big band breakup drama feels like it's destined to happen again in the near future. There's potential for a really good story here if it got to have a more gradual setup and payoff, but considering the name change with season two, I don't really have much faith in that happening in anime form.

Also, can the Bang Dream girls stop having their entire bands chime in on every song? It makes every group sound the same. I should not be thinking about Popipa when Ave Mujica is trying to do their regal gothic aesthetic.

Link Click S2: While the creativity in the visual metaphors is noticeably improved, the narrative is real disappointing as a follow-up to the first season. The main thing I liked from this series was the episodic structure of the narrative, where we would follow the mystery of the week to a conclusion that turns our assumptions on their head and learn a little more about empathy along the way. We do get a little bit of that in this season, but the whole thing just being about chasing down our serial killer and cool fight scenes sure makes things drag. The motivating violence being a product of jealous abusive men is also a real dull direction to go with. I didn't come here for action, man.

Bungo Stray Dogs S5: Still think this whole setup is dumb as hell and our antagonist is the stupidest man on Earth, but the scene where we bribed a vampire with an iPod was really funny, so who's to say if this season was good or bad. (Please go back to the episodic adventures.)

Yohane the Perihelion: Feel like we took the worst parts of Love Live anime (bloated cast who does nothing, allergy to drama persisting more than five minutes) and made them worse because there's nothing going on to mask the dull parts. Sunshine S1 is the one Love Live anime season I like with no big caveats, and boy did this show make me question how much I liked Aqours.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I guess looking at my list there was a lot of stuff that didn't hit saturation point on discussion, pretty much just Murder Farce. I didn't quite get on with the increased action focus in later arcs, especially finding the production quality and style flourishes to sag a bit in parts of those Lupin/Werewolf arcs. They always knew how to cap them off though, so I ended the series feeling probably the same as anyone with heavy praise for it. Though I did actually love the Werewolf ending, it was firing on all cylinders stylistically and the sort of deflationary twist given to the case was more appealing to me than if it played straight.

Horimiya: piece I posted a bit about before, but nothing about the rest of it changed my mind. The series just feels fundamentally flawed, a confusing do-over for the non-issue of the prior season making adaptational choices with the time it had. There are great episodes here that cover significant school events like the Sports Festival/Valentine's Day or further flesh out the HoriMiya pair, and Sawada especially benefits from her inclusion. However the episode structure doesn't allow easy insertion into the prior series, so you're left with a coherent standalone S1 and this scattering of poignant moments that admittedly deserve to be in the main series, then a bunch of hit-or-miss comedy bits. The idea of this as fanservice didn't work for me either, as someone who found several characters in the main series interesting or fun, who are almost entirely neglected in this while time is given to the pedophile teacher or running Sengoku's gay panic bit into the ground. I think the ideal form for this to exist would've been like, a 6 episode ONA. Especially with an eye towards integrating it into the prior season and knowledge that some characters like Iura and Yanagi (who I did enjoy in this) just don't have enough going on to be worth doubling back to.

Hero Classroom hooked me early with appealing character designs and some lively animation/direction, episode 2 being the notable standout. It never fully reached those highs again, but after the fairly dull filling out of the harem/friend group they still had some strong episodes with the vague Godzilla parody and gourmet hunting. Also shout out to Kotaro Nakagawa (GunxSword, Geass) absolutely cooking with some of the OST.

My Happy Marriage was a fun detour into female-targeted narou adaptations. Not always an easy-breezy watch, but I really enjoyed the arc of Miyo and Kudo's relationship in this season. After the expected warming-up period, the show complicates it not only with external conflict but each of their attitudes (Kudo's paternalistic overprotectiveness and Miyo's modesty and passivity) worsening the conflict and pulling them apart. The resolution to this all feels a bit rushed, notably the Usuba family is let off the hook despite having acted similarly to Kudo, but S2 being announced gives some chance for these things to settle. Usuba patriarch aside, I did really enjoy some of the villains in this, like Kaya and Arata. Both characters act awfully but have understandable motives as a result of their insecurities about family or requirements of filial duty in a society where it's so central. I think the supernatural and action elements kinda swerved this one away from some of the audience, but getting a healing romance along with such solid production and outstanding action had me spoiled.

GoHands Power Hour was a surprising mixed bag. The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses on the lower end of things, as the GoHands excess gradually fell away and left behind a fine but rather slow and often dull romcom. At least Mie-san is cute.

Meanwhile, The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today rose through the ranks until becoming one of my favorites. The later focus on Fukuzawa's coworkers and the cashier at the neighborhood grocery store really rounded the series out for me beyond a gag riff on cat ownership. By outward appearances, Fukuzawa's coworkers think she has it all together, unaware how much of that is due to her masterful cat. Sure, it's there for comedic conflict as she keeps the secret, but also highlights the difficulty of work-life balance. We see Fukuzawa go from running ragged on energy gel and conbini food in her trash heap of an apartment to a competent and admired worker. Even though her domestic incompetence remains for comedic effect, it's apparent that with Yukichi taking those duties she is able to focus on work and excel there. A shame we can't all have bear-sized intelligent cats to soothe the capitalist grind, but it's one of those shows that acts as an entertaining salve.

The cashier storyline is much simpler in appeal, as I was just pleasantly surprised to have a bi/lesbian character show up in the series. Not expecting much from that plot but it gave a little boost to my interest in following this series as a manga. Certainly, despite the praise I could give its humor and animation, the GoHands house style still lets this series down with often-drab color filters and wispy human character designs that I'm not super fond of. (these images are me cheating)

Spy Classroom S2 continued on in the trend of S1's latter half, with more multi-episode missions to explore characters they hadn't yet and otherwise keeping episodic adventures within an understandable chronology (the main failure of S1). Solid production for an action series, and this season felt a little more pulpy, to its benefit. Would love to see more, but if that never happens then this season at least ended with every girl sufficiently covered and a great capstone mission to solidify the skills and relationships between all the Heat Haze spies. No pictures, watch this ED instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu9805-nW3I

Ongoing franchise hell continues/completes with Vanguard will+Dress S3 and Bungo S5. The past two seasons of Vanguard have been nice for returning some of the OG series vibe that card games could have world-altering consequences, but this particular one stumbled with focus being misdirected to some uninteresting rivalries (Raika/Sophie) and incredibly nebulous/inconsequential side-switching from multiple characters. Hoping the finale vibe of the series moving into a new generation isn't just my imagination, a cast reset would be welcome at this point.

Bungo Stray Dogs S5 finally gave a long-term stopping point and freedom for the Igarashi/Enokido pair. 🙏
With a one-two punch of rapid setting/scope expansion and a central antagonist with bullshit spacetime powers, the season expects you to swallow a bit much at a time. Ultimately I think this stuff was a miss, since regardless of the charm Fukuchi has he ends up a disappointingly standard villain and the consequences of the added setting bits feel like they'll be alternately ignored (annoying) or irreparably drag the series towards further escalation (which the post-credits scene, as funny as it is, seems to back up).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

haypliss posted:

Bungo Stray Dogs S5 finally gave a long-term stopping point and freedom for the Igarashi/Enokido pair. 🙏
With a one-two punch of rapid setting/scope expansion and a central antagonist with bullshit spacetime powers, the season expects you to swallow a bit much at a time. Ultimately I think this stuff was a miss, since regardless of the charm Fukuchi has he ends up a disappointingly standard villain and the consequences of the added setting bits feel like they'll be alternately ignored (annoying) or irreparably drag the series towards further escalation (which the post-credits scene, as funny as it is, seems to back up).

Yeah, I do wonder if that was a mistake. Though it's possible that the story ends up being basically the same as before, with One Order replacing the Book as the MacGuffin the bad guys attack the Detective Agency in search of. Alternatively, a page of the Book gets used as a reset button to remove One Order from play, and then the plot goes back to revolving around the Book.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Omnicrom posted:

Reign of the Seven Spellblades: I heard in advance that the pitch for this show was deceptive and it was basically The Count of Monte Cristo at a magic school that pulled heavily from Nasuverse stuff, and watching it I remembered why exactly I bounce off so hard from everything in the Nasuverse. It manages to thread this needle of being simultaneously really bland despite having these big twists and clearly aiming hard to shock. When the show did officially tilt its hand and show its protagonist doing some revenging I was kind of disappointed because as hard as it was clearly trying to go it was just kind of a meh experience so I let it go.

The final episode just aired a day or two ago and I just got around to watching it and goddamn but this series went to some weird places. The final ep is mostly set inside the villainess' monster-infested womb which she expands into a mini-dimension so she can trap all the heroes inside it and attack them with her womb tendrils. She's defeated when a minor character intervenes and negates her powers, it turns out he was castrated as a child so he'd be invulnerable to her succubus pheromone mind-controlling mist in case her powers went crazy some day.

What the gently caress did I just watch

Edit: also the villainess isn't related to the revenge plot at all, she just happens to have been a student at the academy and has been lurking in the dungeons below the school. Right at the very end of the episode when all that has been resolved and everyone has gone back to normal student life the evil teachers just happen to walk past and the protagonist goes "Oh yeah, I also have to get around to killing these guys some day".

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 16, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I liked a lot of the episodes but the way the season just dropped the revenge plot was weird, you're right. I guess it's a LN adaptation and the books go all over the place. I do hope it gets another season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: I dunno, man. What got me on the MyGO train to begin with was Anon playing the drama version of the straight man for the group, cutting right through the teenage angst quagmire. But that quickly gives way when she becomes part of the quagmire and the whole thing is just an unrelentingly tense atmosphere for a good stretch of episodes. Which is fine, sure, I love my melodrama, but the thing that sinks it for me is that I don't think the thing they're all striving towards is worth pursuing. It's understandable why they'd all want to be in a band; it exists as both a source of community and a creative outlet. But this band in particular is plagued with communication issues and toxicity, and only clung on to because they're teenagers and don't know anything better. It's so much effort to salvage this poisoned well, and I don't think it's worth it. I wish we delved more into any of our main cast's issues. The glimpses we get serve little more than as a game advertisement, and the way they resolve their big band breakup drama feels like it's destined to happen again in the near future. There's potential for a really good story here if it got to have a more gradual setup and payoff, but considering the name change with season two, I don't really have much faith in that happening in anime form.

iunno, i think it just being touched on but not really resolved isnt really a 'game ad,' its just kind of neat imo. the band is about them finding a place where they can just be themselves even if that self has baggage, and its not about fixing that baggage its just about being able to have it. soyo and tomori's convo at the end kinda seals that.

as for s2 they've said in interviews that more stuff with the mygo cast will be touched on (and specifically note taki as someone who will get more screentime) so they seem more like two halves of a whole then like 'well thats mygo done'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I liked a lot of the episodes but the way the season just dropped the revenge plot was weird, you're right. I guess it's a LN adaptation and the books go all over the place. I do hope it gets another season.

Yeah I really like the setting, I'd probably watch another season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Got an episode quota to be filled, can't make sure our climax is one related to the main plot.