Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
There are so many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:) <--- This is a smiling face, meant to represent a happy person.

yw op. I know it's tough for you to understand.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I'll start, the police light is a direct import from the Drudge Report bought to make fun of people in D&D when there were unbelievable amounts of W supporters

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Toxic Mental posted:

:) <--- This is a smiling face, meant to represent a happy person.

yw op. I know it's tough for you to understand.

I am not a clever man

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:wardlow:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stunning Honky posted:

I'll start, the police light is a direct import from the Drudge Report bought to make fun of people in D&D when there were unbelievable amounts of W supporters

you're wrong op, this :siren: is for when a LUNK is detected

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:suicide:

Whilst I'm not sure what this one means exactly, I like it.

:boom:

I know what this one means.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
OP there's like a thousand smilies from twenty decades of forums. Nobody knows what they all mean, they just keep shoveling more :nexus: on the pile

I'd be curious why this face :smith: is called smith, why cheff's kiss :discourse: is called discourse, or even why poo :nexus: is called nexus but i dont think anyone knows anymore

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the history becomes unimportant very quickly

just use them at face value and enjoy :anime:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Vampire Panties posted:

OP there's like a thousand smilies from twenty decades of forums. Nobody knows what they all mean, they just keep shoveling more :nexus: on the pile

I'd be curious why this face :smith: is called smith, why cheff's kiss :discourse: is called discourse, or even why poo :nexus: is called nexus but i dont think anyone knows anymore

here you go https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1427

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The gently caress is :sign:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
:goku: is an inside joke where we made fun of someone on the internet.

That someone really hated to hear us talking about goku's pants.

I think it might've been a webcomic artist who came to this forum to plug their work for some reason. People didn't really cooperate.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you could probably come up with a pretty fun trivia game where one player is shown an emote, and the other players all have to come up with a fake origin story for it. then those are mixed in with the real explanation, and the first player has to guess which one is true.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

you could probably come up with a pretty fun trivia game where one player is shown an emote, and the other players all have to come up with a fake origin story for it. then those are mixed in with the real explanation, and the first player has to guess which one is true.

:carol:

it would be funnier if everyone made up a lie and the best one was chosen as the truth

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:unsmith:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Vampire Panties posted:

:carol:

it would be funnier if everyone made up a lie and the best one was chosen as the truth

lol call it "Canon Fodder"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:smugmrgw:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That actually reminds me of a board game Balderdash where you'd read out an obscure English word, everyone would write down what they thought it meant (I think the reader got the actual definition) and everyone would vote on what they thought was right

Basically now that I think of it the precursor to Apples to Apples and thus Cards Against Humanity

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Okay that's what this thread is about now: gently caress what they actually mean, what do they mean in your mind

:smugteddie:

This is somehow mocking Sonic fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
lol never mind I haven't browsed on desktop in ages, you can hover over anything and get a blurb

shutting down shop