Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hey AI -

Looking for a bit of inspiration. I recently pre-inherited my dad's midlife crisis, a bone stock 2004 Corvette (double hip replacement so the car is now entirely too low for him). 60k miles, great condition. I was thinking of adding some upgrades to make it a burly cruiser and beefier for track fun. I'm considering the Hurly twin turbo kit for the LS-1, but what else should I consider while I'm in there? I know the computer will require some tweaking, which I'm accounting for. I think I should definitely upgrade the torque converter, but I'm not sure how to shop for those. Would I need to, or should do anything to the transmission? It's the M-30 Automatic. How about the differential, driveshaft, and exhaust? Anything other thoughts/ideas/options for this?

Poorly taken picture for reference. Car behind it is my old '97 Camaro 30th anniversary convertible that has become my 12 year old's first project car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhh
Nov 2, 2006

Clever Saying Goes here
Cletus McFarland / Leroy style corvette “kart”. Bonus points if you also cut off the windshield.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IMO any significant upgrade in power means a shift kit for the transmission. You can sometimes firm up the shifts with HP Tuners, SCT, etc etc (depends on the car), but a proper shift kit won't make it eat itself. It's some work, you have to drop the valve body and mess with a bunch of balls, springs, servos, etc, but it's worth it. Your transmission will (maybe) last longer too.

No suggestions beyond that, I don't know a whole lot about Vettes. Probably never will, I'm only in my mid 40s and my dr is already talking about a hip replacement. :smith: I can't even handle a clutch anymore.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I would live with the car for a little bit before dropping 4-5 figures on upgrades. Cruise in it. Take it on the track. See where it is lacking and see where it is a more capable car than you are a driver. Focus on finding a balance of power, handling, and comfort that make the car truly delightful for you.

Be aware, power upgrades are likely to make the car louder and harder to live with on the highway. You don't want to turn your dad's car into a trailer queen (unless you do, but I think cars are more fun to drive).

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Smart: rip it as is.

If you've got to spend money, consider a second set of wheels, stickier tires and dampeners to match.

Steps I'd take,
1)figure out what kinda track/autocross you want to do.

1)Find some used OEM wheels. C5 z06 wheels look to be ~$1.5k on eBay, could prob find under $1k if you look around.

2)Figure out what kind of tires to use on the track/autocross. Grassroots article to start down that rabbit hole prob ~$300 a tire

3) Call up Penske, talk to them, and get some dampeners that match the tires and desired application. ~$2.3k non adjustable, ~$3k single adjustable

4) rip the piss out of it