Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Seriously what is the four balls thing

I've been reading these forums for so many years and I've never known (or cared, at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

It was just ouroboros but less cool

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Imagine four balls at the end of a cliff

E://

Dr. Kronomast, PHD posted:

when

you send an object through time, it does not create a new timeline that overrides the current like we had originally thought.

When the object enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: 
Imagine four balls on the edge

of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of

the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Time works the same way.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 6, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

FilthyImp posted:

Imagine four balls at the end of a cliff

time works the same way :hmmyes:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thanks seb for helping this guy get his account back because after the henry bullshit i was about to queue up a ban unless proof provided immediately

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Magnus Manfist posted:

Seriously what is the four balls thing

I've been reading these forums for so many years and I've never known (or cared, at all)

The Zybourne Clock was some kind of time traveling device. I think they were trying (and failed) to visualize how time traveling would work in this world.
There is also this thing, where using the clock created multiple timelines. No idea who Sylus was, probably some kind of villain character.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

quote:

Plot
Setting

Zybourne Clock takes place on an unnamed planet, in the nation of Rasenni, bordered on the north by Bookworld and to the south by the warlike nation of Capital, which has annexed much of the land between the cities of Prey Bark and Wallitston's Hill. The world is one of magic and technology. The most important technologies yet revealed are the Zybourne Clock, Golden Egg and Electromagnetic Pulse weaponry ranging from EMP gloves to EMP grenades and firearms that fire EMP ammunition. The Zybourne Clock is thought to be a powerful time-altering device. According to leaked documents, the newest timelines replace the oldest ones, like a ball knocking another ball off a cliff.

according to this anyway: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5yx4cTZOWSrkceNoi7G38pCSKk3pcdmGo_3rFwXwTA/edit

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

this owns lol

quote:

Hello Games, your pal Occupy Japan here with a business propsal of sorts for you:

A few weeks ago in BYOB, we started discussing making an RPG from semi-scratch. Our mission: to avoid most trends in RPGs: pseudo-feminine main character, similar plot conventions, similar settings, even art direction.

Initially started by BYOB posters Rex Meteorite, Pro Target, OMG ITZ JAMES, myself, Stoat Box, PUNCH IT CHEWIE and others and now have over 50 ACTIVE members, and we're now looking for help from you: the forum that would probably be most down with helping out on an RPG.

I'm going to divide this post into two parts:

First, I'm going to allure you with all sorts of awesome pictures, musics, and some plot details.

Second, I'm going to hope that the pictures and sounds and words somehow hypnotized you into wanting to help, and then tell you what we're looking for and how to get involved.

So let's get started!

First, what is Electro-Punk? Think 1910-1930 earth. Turn of the century. Booming economy. Now, combine that with the theories of Tesla proven 100% true and everything suggested by Tesla to be not only feasable, but readily available.

World War 1 armies armed with rail guns and EMP grenades (in addition to gas masks) for destroying Anti-Grav tanks that are powered by Wireless Power Transmission.

Vast fleets of Zeppelins ferry passengers across national borders far faster and in far greater luxury than carriage or automobile.

National Boundries guarded by Tesla Coils and Death Rays would turn any extended ground conflict into the horror of the World War 1 trenches 100 fold.

Our story doesn't take place on earth, however, so let's not speculate on what could've been for us, and instead focus on what DOES happen for our protagonists:

While we're still hammering out minor details with the story, but the plot at large is thus:

Thousands of years in the future, mankind is engaged in a seemingly unending Civil War that threatens to erradicate the species.

After years of research and construction, Dr. Zybourne completes his magnum opus: The Zybourne Clock. A device that will be sent far, far, far into the planet's past and hopefully prevent the seemingly inevitable future war.

The clock itsself is a large object with various time readouts on the front (hence the "Clock" moniker), which will count the days, years, and millenia until the clock is back at the same moment it was sent, at which point it will deactivate; it's goal of preventing the war from Zybourne's time a success.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
oh man

quote:

Currently, we have 6 or 7 characters completely written out, our plot finalized (and not abbreviated as it is here), a ton music composed (both MIDI and fully orchestrated), and quite a bit of concept art (some of which you've seen in this thread).

Speaking of music, here's a few MIDI versions of tunes we've written for this project (right click, save as):

Pseudo-middle eastern vibe

Sleeping

Battle theme

We're using RPG Maker XP (heavily modified/re-scripted), simply because coding our own engine would take too long and doom the project. We may eventually port this to another engine or make our own, but for now we are doing this because it's easier.

Some changes we're making:

-A completely overhauled battle system using a really unique, innovative system with a side-view (think Final Fantasy) engine.
-Ingame cutscenes drawn by Unconventional Oven (who also drew the female sketch above) with full voice acting.
-A really unique system for upgrading weapons, items, etc that merges item crafting with a mini-game-like feel.
-Completely overhauled, non-anime graphics (sprites, etc.)
-Tons upon tons of optional sidequest content.
-Multiple endings.
-Ability to buy, upgrade, and perform missions with vehicles; they ain't just for transportation anymore.
-Ability to join various nation's armies and advance in them.
-A custom-made "reaction" dialogue system similar to Morrowind; ability to ask even "fodder" NPCs questions and get dynamic responses.
-A "personality" system that lets the character become good or evil through their actions, which can open up new quest opportunities as well as new game endings!

We're currently scripting several of these, and our programming team currently consists of 4 or 5 goons that know their poo poo, and a couple of professional programmer non-goons.

Now then, onto the boring part: what we're needing.

We currently have everything wrapped up pretty nice and will eventually have a product, but to speed up the process we could use:

-Sprite/tileset artists. We really, really need some people who can dedicate themselves to this and only this, so our other graphic artists can work on PC/NPC portraits, cutscenes, etc. etc. etc. We have a few dedicated spriters, but they've requested more help.

-Graphic consistancy control. This could be someone involved in spriting or not. We need someone to coordinate the sprite making process and to ensure that sprites from mutliple people have a similar, consistant format and appearance.

-Coders/scripters. Always good to have; you'll have your work cut out for you, but you'll be working with some really talented folks, both goon and non-goon.

-Miscellaneous. Want to get involved as a writer? Sound Effects/Music maker? Have something you think you could contribute? We don't really need a lot more in this area, but if you think you could be a valuable part of the team, we welcome your help!

We're using an off-site forum for this, and have a server with a poo poo-ton of bandwidth and 208 gigs of storage.

Since the forum is offsite, and we're wanting to keep this to people who REALLY want to contribute instead of just register to see what's going on, we're offering two conveniant ways of joining!

Goons with Plat: PM either myself or Rex Meteorite and we'll hook you up with an invite.

Non-Plat Goons: AIM myself (Occupy Japan SA) or Rex Meteorite (RexMeteorite) and we'll hook you up with an invite.

On a final note, we're serious about this. We're making progress, but we want YOU to get involved.

Please please please don't threadshit or post "HURRRR GOON PROJECTS NEVER WORK" or something. If you think this is a dumb idea, not posting and making GBS threads up the thread will still let you sleep at night with a smug smile of satisfaction on your face.

Also note that though this was started in BYOB and some of you may hate BYOB or think it's dumb or at best not serious, this is a SERIOUS game we're doing here, not comedy.

I will also answer any questions you have regarding the project. We aren't wanting to spoil EVERYTHING on the forums here, since you guys will probably be the ones that end up playing it.

If you want to know the answer to something that I can't publically disclose, I'll tell you to PM or AIM me and we can discuss it there.

Thanks for the help, Games!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
On a final note, we're serious about this. We're making progress, but we want YOU to get involved.

Please please please don't threadshit or post "HURRRR GOON PROJECTS NEVER WORK" or something. If you think this is a dumb idea, not posting and making GBS threads up the thread will still let you sleep at night with a smug smile of satisfaction on your face.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Thanks guys I've learned so much about balls

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

dervival posted:

some indie game also made a johnny five-aces cameo
We regret to inform you that one of the devs is racist and transphobic.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Croccers posted:

Can we use the Zybourne Clock to jump to another timeline where this doesn't happen?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thanks seb for helping this guy get his account back because after the henry bullshit i was about to queue up a ban unless proof provided immediately

yeah it checked out.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

quote:

-A custom-made "reaction" dialogue system similar to Morrowind; ability to ask even "fodder" NPCs questions and get dynamic responses.

morrowinds dialogue system wasnt really dynamic just walls and walls of text.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Can we use the Zybourne Clock to jump to another timeline where this doesn't happen?
Imagine four transphobic racists on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the transphobic racist nearest the cliff starts a podcast.....

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TK8325 posted:

i guess it was vaguely dynamic in the sense that if you wanted to know more detail about a topic you had to seek out an expert (e.g. scouts knew about geography, wizards knew about daedra)

but yeah it was just static text that different npcs could spit out at you in differing amounts

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TK8325 posted:

N'wah!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Croccers posted:

god loving dammit, of course. can't have anything in this crapsack world

Croccers posted:

Imagine four transphobic racists on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the transphobic racist nearest the cliff starts a podcast.....

and then the Courier shoots them all in the face and loots the special gun that's been spawned there. A Wild Wasteland icon pops up in the upper-left hand corner of the screen for a moment.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Ah yes, I know this sort of thing. That initial rush of energy, where ambition seems like it's all that will be needed, that it will sustain itself and provide everything. The idea of taking what we loved experiencing and just adding More to it, sort of like what the Epic Meal Time channels would do with their absurd food creations.

Also, the plot idea and four balls and 'stuff has already happened and been replaced' makes me think of Chuck Palahniuk's book Rant, as well as the fact that you never want to start out with time travel in a plot because no matter what you do, and even if you try to set down firm rules for what happens, eventually you will simply end up with a mess where the narrative orouboroses into itself and something is coming from nothing, Who Composed Beethoven's 5th style.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Woah. This started in BYOB?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff
It’s easy if you try
Imagine the pee stored inside those balls
Now you understand time

:chanpop:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Croccers posted:

Blast. I wish I had known that before getting it. Who are they and what did they say/do?

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

Escape From Noise posted:

Woah. This started in BYOB?

Indeed that’s where it started. FYAD caught wind of the project and had a field day, as I was formerly posting there. I remember there being some animosity between the two before I left. Doesn’t seem to exist any more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rex Meteorite posted:

Indeed that’s where it started. FYAD caught wind of the project and had a field day, as I was formerly posting there. I remember there being some animosity between the two before I left. Doesn’t seem to exist any more.

FYAD still kind of quietly hates BYOB for various reasons, at least in a "Don't speak flatteringly of BYOB in my presence or I will take out my posting katana and carve you a new digital rear end in a top hat" type way, but a lot of the more, um, "aggressive" FYADers have since either left the site or stopped posting as much over the last couple of years in response to previous and occasionally ongoing acts of mod and admin boneheadery.

BYOB on the other hand doesn't appear to give a poo poo about FYAD.

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

FYAD still kind of quietly hates BYOB for various reasons, at least in a "Don't speak flatteringly of BYOB in my presence or I will take out my posting katana and carve you a new digital rear end in a top hat" type way, but a lot of the more, um, "aggressive" FYADers have since either left the site or stopped posting as much over the last couple of years in response to previous and occasionally ongoing acts of mod and admin boneheadery.

I will say I remember the thread there being brutal. I was so embarrassed I literally unhooked my computer, put it in my closet and didn’t come back online for about a year. Dumb reaction to a thread on the internet but drat it stung back in the day.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rex Meteorite posted:

I will say I remember the thread there being brutal. I was so embarrassed I literally unhooked my computer, put it in my closet and didn’t come back online for about a year. Dumb reaction to a thread on the internet but drat it stung back in the day.

I mean, Lowtax once shut FYAD down for a couple of months and it was kinda funny, but then it turned out he did it based on a lie and the person who talked him into it was trying to honeytrap him into making her an admin and signing complete control over SA over to her and she got run out of town on a rail for being a con artist and then Lowtax killed himself (incident unrelated), so there's that. FYAD is still, somewhat justifiably, mad about it.

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, Lowtax once shut FYAD down for a couple of months and it was kinda funny, but then it turned out he did it based on a lie and the person who talked him into it was trying to honeytrap him into making her an admin and signing complete control over SA over to her and she got run out of town on a rail for being a con artist and then Lowtax killed himself (incident unrelated), so there's that. FYAD is still, somewhat justifiably, mad about it.

I read about that. He called them nazis and then tried to run back to them. So much respect for SA dumping that loving rear end in a top hat. I really wish I didn’t miss the revolt back when it happened because watching him get turfed out of here after all that would have been amazing.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I think there just a bunch of tension over whether he was going to sell the site or just kill it out of spite back then. There was definitely an air of "where do we all go now?" about the place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's amazing just how intensely stupid in every imaginable direction it got, with multiple cases of staff pulling ridiculous schemes and getting exposed in the most clownish ways.

The nazi discord spy saga I'll always remember.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
KM pulling off a coup and then... i guess skimming off the top so she could afford WakandaCon and a car with, like, floorboards?

Going to Vice as the girl who tamed FyAD?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I could and would kick Johnny Five Aces's rear end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

FYAD still kind of quietly hates BYOB for various reasons

lol

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I had no idea there was a Zybourne Clock thread happening, but then again I don't really post much on the forums these days.

Hello, I'm Fuego Fish and I also have the dubious honour of having been a part of the tragedy that was Project Blue Ribbon Hog, aka "Zybourne Clock". I've got some old AIM logs from back in the day somewhere on my backup hard drive, I think. But I've also got some fond memories/weird trauma I can relate in a comical fashion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:justpost::justpost::justpost:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was on the pixel art team for Zybourne Clock, except whoever ran the off-site forum where everything was managed thought it was a good idea to section off the different teams (concept art, writing, pixel art, etc) into their own subforums and give them no access to the other teams' posts. So the only direction me and OMG ITZ JAMES ever got for pixel art was "just make some monsters and stuff", but we had no idea what the setting of the game was or what kind of monsters there should be and I never made anything for it.

The ironic part is "just make some monsters and stuff" is what I'm known for as an artist these days :tipshat:

That's my Zybourne Clock story

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 10, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also it's worth noting that current day BYOB is not the BYOB that did Zybourne Clock. BYOB was shut down for a few years shortly after ZC and when it was brought back it had a completely different group of posters and vibe. New BYOB is better than old BYOB as a forum but doesn't have the great failures of oldBYOB like Zybourne Clock, the Chillaxe, RZNV, etc

speaking of RZNV here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_S3sd5JzU

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 10, 2023

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was on the pixel art team for Zybourne Clock, except whoever ran the off-site forum where everything was managed thought it was a good idea to section off the different teams (concept art, writing, pixel art, etc) into their own subforums and give them no access to the other teams' posts. So the only direction me and OMG ITZ JAMES ever got for pixel art was "just make some monsters and stuff", but we had no idea what the setting of the game was or what kind of monsters there should be and I never made anything for it.

The ironic part is "just make some monsters and stuff" is what I'm known for as an artist these days :tipshat:

I don’t remember having a specific divide between art, story, music etc especially one so strict. I do remember wanting the writing forum locked down but only because the drafts we had I wrote and knew were complete garbage. I was hoping we could somehow improve it before going public with any concepts but that turned out poorly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That might have been it, I just remember trying to view the other forums to pick up some info about what I was supposed to draw and I couldn't view them.

What's funny is that the actual failure of Zybourne Clock wasn't much different from most other goon projects that failed, and it probably would have been an (ironic) hit if it came out. If you ever want to Kickstarter the reboot or whatever I'll do art :hellyeah: it could be a fun thing to revisit and make an actual tongue in cheek game out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

deep dish peat moss posted:

The level of mismanagement was the stuff of nightmares, I genuinely got yelled at because I hadn't supplied someone with enough information about whatever concept they were supposed to be "writing lore" about, except I barely had any clue that the vague idea I'd come up with a few days prior had been handed off to someone else. I'd signed on in the hopes of writing for the game (yeah, I know, I was young and stupid) and I never actually got to write anything. It was always delegated down to the latest Sub-Division Vice President of Bookworld Lore Development, or whatever.

Everyone had their own weird idea for what the game should be (including me) and absolutely nobody was concerned with figuring out which one of them should be the one actually being worked on.

Most of the FYAD parody stuff (the steam-hologram-robot assassin, the golden egg) is actually a lot more coherent than what was actually being worked on.