Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

That might have been it, I just remember trying to view the other forums to pick up some info about what I was supposed to draw and I couldn't view them.

What's funny is that the actual failure of Zybourne Clock wasn't much different from most other goon projects that failed, and it probably would have been an (ironic) hit if it came out. If you ever want to Kickstarter the reboot or whatever I'll do art :hellyeah: it could be a fun thing to revisit and make an actual tongue in cheek game out of.

I’d love to see Zybourne Clock get made, but there is no way I’d go anywhere near the project. Anything creative I touch dies. But I would play the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm dead serious that I would love to make a tongue in cheek Zybourne Clock game

I still make pixel art:

and I still make dumb rpgmaker games that I never finish:
https://i.imgur.com/KYJrvZw.mp4

and goddamnit I need a job

But also I know for sure I don't have the attention span to make an entire game by myself lmao I just want to do art and maybe some dialogue

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 10, 2023

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
An actual ZC game would never live up to the wonders that people have conjured up in their imaginations. The reality of the project was that it was confusing, boring, incoherent, stupid, poorly-managed and poorly-planned, rife with cliché despite the entire pitch being "without any clichés", and utterly cursed from the word go.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I say it's time for more balls. Why stop at four? What if you could have... infinite balls :aaaaa:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dixville posted:

I say it's time for more balls. Why stop at four? What if you could have... infinite balls :aaaaa:

Imagine infinite steel balls on the edge of a cliff. Duke Nukem Forever Ventrilo Harassment works the same way.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah mass effect has come and gone since the last time johnny graced the forums, can't stop at four now

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dixville posted:

Isn't that just Balldo? :balldo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuego Fish posted:

The level of mismanagement was the stuff of nightmares, I genuinely got yelled at because I hadn't supplied someone with enough information about whatever concept they were supposed to be "writing lore" about, except I barely had any clue that the vague idea I'd come up with a few days prior had been handed off to someone else. I'd signed on in the hopes of writing for the game (yeah, I know, I was young and stupid) and I never actually got to write anything. It was always delegated down to the latest Sub-Division Vice President of Bookworld Lore Development, or whatever.

Everyone had their own weird idea for what the game should be (including me) and absolutely nobody was concerned with figuring out which one of them should be the one actually being worked on.

Most of the FYAD parody stuff (the steam-hologram-robot assassin, the golden egg) is actually a lot more coherent than what was actually being worked on.

Sad thing is that you get AAA game development that works exactly like this.

Of course the parodies have more coherence because the writers have some confidence and ideas. Funny thing is I do get the vibe they come from a place of genuine appreciation, or at least amusement.

Fuego Fish posted:

An actual ZC game would never live up to the wonders that people have conjured up in their imaginations. The reality of the project was that it was confusing, boring, incoherent, stupid, poorly-managed and poorly-planned, rife with cliché despite the entire pitch being "without any clichés", and utterly cursed from the word go.

The funny thing is that all of those are pretty in line with stereotypical JRPGs anyway. Like I think someone had it right that it looked like it was basically Final Fantasy VI (and a touch of Chrono Trigger) with more sunglasses. Also treating steampunk with cyberpunk cliches is probably the best way to parody it. Hell, that could work semi-ironically.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 10, 2023

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Imagine a game with no leadership, discontent and total worker frustration.

Triple A dev works the same way.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
I remember joining the external forum seeing how messy it was and immediately noping out. Shame I didn't stick around long enough to invent a timeless character like Stevepunk or Shittin' Gavin or something

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

egg_dog posted:

to invent a timeless character like Stevepunk or Shittin' Gavin or something

You just invented two

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"In the second half of the game, you unlock two vendors, the Accupressurist and the Barmage. Each is able to tune your SteamWorx to give you additional skills..."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fuego Fish posted:

An actual ZC game would never live up to the wonders that people have conjured up in their imaginations.

The trick here is to sell those people the imaginary game they've conjured, rather than a real game you have to do work to make. Y'all could have been Star Citizen!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’ve got so many ms paint aces

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sad thing is that you get AAA game development that works exactly like this.

Of course the parodies have more coherence because the writers have some confidence and ideas. Funny thing is I do get the vibe they come from a place of genuine appreciation, or at least amusement.

Oh, we definitely had ideas, and probably way too much confidence. The issue was always organisation and communication. I think my particular title was "Head of Story" or something like that (possibly longer, wordier, less meaningful) and yet I had basically no control over the story. I was always struggling to try and figure out a plot outline that I could be happy with, while stuck with the initial concept that could never be changed (supercomputer sent back to the past to avert disaster but somehow causes disaster in the process).

Meanwhile everyone else was talking around me about all their cool concepts for gameplay stuff. They were talking about grinding party levels by fighting crazed mutant cyborgs created by a malfunctioning supercomputer, and so it really kind of sums up the whole project when I say that I was made "Head of Story" and henceforth ignored on everything regarding the story :shepface:

My thoughts at the time were something kind of adventure-game-ish, light on combat but big on puzzles and dialogue, something that wouldn't require a lot of complicated code. Because I thought that would be the best thing to try for, considering that 99% of the goons signing up had no programming knowledge. Make no mistake, I'm not saying I was the sole level-headed rational individual in the group. I was just as much an idealistic buffoon as everyone else involved. I just hadn't played many classic JRPGs at that point in my life, but I had played a lot of LucasArts adventure games, so I was going with what I was familiar with.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that all of those are pretty in line with stereotypical JRPGs anyway. Like I think someone had it right that it looked like it was basically Final Fantasy VI (and a touch of Chrono Trigger) with more sunglasses. Also treating steampunk with cyberpunk cliches is probably the best way to parody it. Hell, that could work semi-ironically.

Honestly the funniest part about the steampunk thing is that Rex and the others of the "inner circle" had this big discussion about avoiding the cliché genre aesthetics and steampunk was something they wanted to avoid, along with medieval fantasy, because it was felt to be overdone. So I pitched an idea for this 1920s-30s kind of setting, art deco and electric power, and while that was received positively by everyone... they immediately termed it "electropunk" and started treating it like a palette swap of steampunk. Just with tesla coils and batteries instead of smokestacks and cogwheels.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Fuego Fish posted:

Honestly the funniest part about the steampunk thing is that Rex and the others of the "inner circle" had this big discussion about avoiding the cliché genre aesthetics and steampunk was something they wanted to avoid, along with medieval fantasy, because it was felt to be overdone. So I pitched an idea for this 1920s-30s kind of setting, art deco and electric power, and while that was received positively by everyone... they immediately termed it "electropunk" and started treating it like a palette swap of steampunk. Just with tesla coils and batteries instead of smokestacks and cogwheels.
shoot, and this would've been before Bioshock had come out too so Rapture wouldn't have completely taken over that aesthetic yet. That would have been an interesting compare/contrast in style had that came to be, haha

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003
It’s so funny because I actually have the opposite opinion today and would play a traditional fantasy RPG over a steampunk one any day of the week. But yeah I remember avoiding cliches being a super big deal to me, which is funny because I hadn’t really played enough RPGs at that point to even determine what was a trope or cliche in the genre, so I walked right into them. Not to mention, my leadership skills back then were clearly lacking and the group descended into chaos very early. No game experience, no leadership experience, clearly I was the perfect lead for an all-volunteer indie game development project.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rex Meteorite posted:

No game experience, no leadership experience, clearly I was the perfect lead for an all-volunteer indie game development project.

TBQH it's a really good thing that everyone involved had no experience and little real skills, causing the whole thing to be an immediate trainwreck. If you'd had more ability y'all might have gotten yourselves into actual trouble.

If you ever feel down about being the Zybourne Clock Guy, just remember that the whole thing could have turned into darkly comic tragedy instead of lighthearted comic parody. For example, look up what happened to the Barkley Gaiden guys.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, a project falling apart before major financial investment is made is always greatly preferable to it imploding once there's money at stake

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Someone should design a cool game box that can be printed up and sold as the next best thing to having an actual game to actually play.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Some years back I considered doing a fake "Let's Play: Zybourne Clock" thread but I didn't have the required skills to make convincing fake screenshots. Or even unconvincing fake screenshots.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

TBQH it's a really good thing that everyone involved had no experience and little real skills, causing the whole thing to be an immediate trainwreck. If you'd had more ability y'all might have gotten yourselves into actual trouble.

If you ever feel down about being the Zybourne Clock Guy, just remember that the whole thing could have turned into darkly comic tragedy instead of lighthearted comic parody. For example, look up what happened to the Barkley Gaiden guys.

Did Adam Silver have them killed?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Weird how his facial hair never went grey after all these years 🤔

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

Some years back I considered doing a fake "Let's Play: Zybourne Clock" thread but I didn't have the required skills to make convincing fake screenshots. Or even unconvincing fake screenshots.

Hah, now that I did not expect to see here! Ever since those wonderful FYAD parody threads, I've been thinking how cool it would be to have a full-blown Zybourne Clock Wiki that pretended it was about a real game, with game mechanic explanations, interlinked character pages, fake screenshots, and so on. Apparently, I wasn't the only one to have this idea!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Weird how his facial hair never went grey after all these years 🤔
time travel, not even once :zybourne:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fuego Fish posted:

In what way is this different from Star Citizen, a game that has brought in over $500m despite not yet being released?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Apollodorus posted:

In what way is this different from Star Citizen, a game that has brought in over $500m despite not yet being released?

Probably that ZC wasn't intended to be a scam, if I had to guess.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hi, Rex, the four balls thing still makes me laugh to this day. Namaste

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fuego Fish posted:

Probably that ZC wasn't intended to be a scam, if I had to guess.

Ah see that’s where they missed their shot.

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Ah see that’s where they missed their shot.

I feel a multilevel marketing scheme brewing. If you recruit two friends and they recruit two friends maybe ZC can be born!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you pitch in $500 to the development of the Zybourne Clock reboot I will draw you an electrozeppelin and you can fly that zeppelin when the game comes out

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

actually lmao wait

how long has :zybourne: been an emote, I hadn't noticed it at the absolute back end of the smilies list until my post a bit ago

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dervival posted:

actually lmao wait

how long has :zybourne: been an emote, I hadn't noticed it at the absolute back end of the smilies list until my post a bit ago

That's incredible, I've never seen it before

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Holy poo poo! Rex Meteorite!

So happy to hear you are doing well. The poo poo that got dumped on you afterwards zybourne clock was miserable and you didn't deserve it.

And when you were talking about the 4 balls thing, were you thinking about Kant, or Hegel?

Because I think I came across something about a first mover moving a second thing, and so on.
And it used the exampled of billiard balls?

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 27, 2023

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Grab Im Moor posted:

The Zybourne Clock was some kind of time traveling device. I think they were trying (and failed) to visualize how time traveling would work in this world.
There is also this thing, where using the clock created multiple timelines. No idea who Sylus was, probably some kind of villain character.

I am the person who made that timeline. (I posted that image years in the "funniest thing" zybone clock thread years later)

The idea of zybourne clock was only worked on for 3 weeks (at most?), so nothing really got hammered out.
Sylus was supposed to be the hero of the story.
(Girl was supposed to be the daughter of Dr. Zyboune.)

If you asked the people who worked on the idea of Zybourne clock, about johnny 5 aces, nobody would know who that character was, because the person who made it, created the idea in a vacuum, and posted that idea on to the offsite forum.

Also all zyboune clock levels/maps are fake, because I made the first in the "funniest thing" zybone clock thread.

When people talk about zybourne clock, they put on this layer of professional-ism to make it a bigger tragedy.
Really, it was more like, being drunk with semi-friends, and trying to start a band when nobody knew how to play any instruments.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 27, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

dervival posted:

actually lmao wait

It's from this thread - i will buy one (1) zybourne clock smiley and you will win a cert!!

sebmojo posted:

That's really good!

:tipshat:

itry fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's really good!