Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looks like a piece of poo poo op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they wanted me to build them a computer, so i took their money and gave them a shoddy computer casing full of used pinball machine parts

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The elderly man in the background isn't impressed by it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
he's thinking about that perfect shake he got at the malt shop a couple weeks ago back in '53

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

echinopsis posted:

looks like a piece of poo poo op

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Quantum computing is a grift, right? I’m pretty sure its a grift

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i also look like that whenever i have to be near a computer

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sweevo posted:

they wanted me to build them a computer, so i took their money and gave them a shoddy computer casing full of used pinball machine parts

lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Poopernickel posted:

quantum computing is like string theory - the big breakthrough is 10 years away. just like it was 10 years ago and will be in 10 years time.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like quandumb computing

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i hear top peeps are looking into the dealio

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Poopernickel posted:

the kind of problems it solves quickly are limited but they exist. it doesn't apply to any np-complete problem (as far as we know) so it's not like it makes everything run in polynomial time despite what the uninformed and terminally optimistic might believe

now if you're asking whether a good chunk of the people trying to get money to build one are grifting then the answer is yes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don't know what that is he's staring at, but it probably doesn't do anything. Well, maybe it distills whisky or something.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweevo posted:

quantum computing is like string theory - the big breakthrough is 10 years away. just like it was 10 years ago and will be in 10 years time.

but it will allow the government to look at your icloud pix and telegrams so we're dumping lots of money into it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

I don't know what that is he's staring at, but it probably doesn't do anything. Well, maybe it distills whisky or something.

it was in an article i found about quantum computer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

looks like a series of tubes to me op :grin:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the sumarians were using cubits 4000 years ago

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the sumarians were using cubits 4000 years ago

81523_5
Aug 16, 2023
"no need, we already have the d-wave"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the kind of problems it solves quickly are limited but they exist. it doesn't apply to any np-complete problem (as far as we know) so it's not like it makes everything run in polynomial time despite what the uninformed and terminally optimistic might believe

now if you're asking whether a good chunk of the people trying to get money to build one are grifting then the answer is yes

it's real useful if you want to simulate quantum systems. are you working on molecule interaction simulations for novel drug discovery? great, quantum computing is your friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzazWRCdWw&t=920s

most of us dont do that though

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my VPN has a "quantum-resistant tunnel" option

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

if only we could use that computer to make some sort of “leap” i’m sure many wrongs could be put right

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
while such algorithms definitely exist, that poo poo is pure marketing fluff

if your threat model in 2023 involves an adversary who is willing to expend quantum computer time to decrypt your poo poo, you are squarely on the mossad end of the mossad-not mossad spectrum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you’re definitely on the bad end of some spectrum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idgi

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like quan-dumb computing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

while such algorithms definitely exist, that poo poo is pure marketing fluff

if your threat model in 2023 involves an adversary who is willing to expend quantum computer time to decrypt your poo poo, you are squarely on the mossad end of the mossad-not mossad spectrum

i agree that it is worrying too much, but the scenario where i think it has some potential to matter is if the encrypted data gets gathered/dumped somewhere, and then in 2030 suddenly you can get some quantum computing time on aws for a quarter and decrypt it after the fact.

which lands it in picking a bit oversized keys; probably a silly worry, but, w/e, it is basically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

more like quandumb computing