Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has meta just reinvented twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as long as the mastodon integration poo poo does roll around i will enjoy the weird fragmentation that will follow as the main instance and most activity is meta-owned

i mean, i don't expect that people here will *particularly* care, but the kind of crypto-libertarian who is really into mastodon solving all kinds of things by the clever technology of no one controlling anything will no doubt have opinions.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

has meta just reinvented twitter

what’s meta

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as long as the mastodon integration poo poo does roll around i will enjoy the weird fragmentation that will follow as the main instance and most activity is meta-owned

i mean, i don't expect that people here will *particularly* care, but the kind of crypto-libertarian who is really into mastodon solving all kinds of things by the clever technology of no one controlling anything will no doubt have opinions.

what

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

threads is built on mastodon, and if it does wind up integrating with it one can through the brilliance of open source and decentralization likely expect non-meta mastodon to now in appearance and function become off-brand instagram clients.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmm

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

twitter doesn't need to be replaced. it needs to go away

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sweevo posted:

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

people spent a lot of time trying to guess what urls threads would use so they could pre-emptively block it from their servers, and there was a lot of hollering about how meta is going to absorb mastodon if "we don't do something". there's also a lot of people panicking about normies joining the fediverse and "do we really want those people here?". mastodon is definitely a big ol HOA

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

yeah threads right now is not attractive to me. i still like it because it will get celebs and institutions off twitter which will hurt elon

if in the future i can read threads posts using mastodon apps that mimic the tweetdeck experience that will be amazing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have absolutely no interest at all in joining a new social media platform, op

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

polyester concept posted:

i have absolutely no interest at all in joining a new social media platform, op

yeah same

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm not going to post on this new twitter just like I didn't post on the old twitter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

tmesis posted:

there's also a lot of people panicking about normies joining the fediverse and "do we really want those people here?". mastodon is definitely a big ol HOA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mastadon is dumb as hell lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

sounds like it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

i have absolutely no interest at all in joining any social media platform, op

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Went ahead and joined. However, with extremely limited desktop functionality I can’t see myself using it that frequently.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Went ahead and joined. However, with extremely limited desktop functionality I can’t see myself using it that frequently.

this is the thread for telling the world how much you aren't going to participate in this stuff.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ahem... Shitter.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Shaggar posted:

Asstodon

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mastadon invokes the mental imagery of a paleoconservative website and so i think anyone who uses it is a chud

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sweevo posted:

:emptyquote:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, impressions after a few hours:

- Shitloads of people are joining. Half the folks who follow me on Instagram are also now following on Threads.
- There's no option for a chronological timeline. Not even the equivalent of Twitter's "Following" tab. Basically a deal-breaker.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
i love jacking and zuccking

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lots of scantily clad women and sports. Not sure why, since I stopped using instagram when it stopped showing my friends' posts like 4 years ago.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fart simpson posted:

what’s meta

not much what's meta with you

i thank zuck for turning my other feeds into complaining about all the normies usin threads instead of one of the cool internet people networks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Computer Serf posted:

i love jacking and zuccking

nutted but she still zucckin

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MrQueasy posted:

Lots of scantily clad women and sports. Not sure why, since I stopped using instagram when it stopped showing my friends' posts like 4 years ago.

It seems like Threads is really big on showing you posts that your friends/people you’re following have replied to. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal (I think that Twitter even does this), but unfortunately this feature is how I am learning that two of my Instagram mutuals are total simps. They are constantly leaving “looking good! 😘” replies on all these hot guys’ thirst trap photos. Thus, all those thirst traps are showing up for me, too. There are more abs and bulges on my Threads feed right now than at a circuit party

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

I like scantily clad women. sports suck though

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

akadajet posted:

I just don't like my social media showing them to me randomly! It's not like they're hard to find on the internet. I guess it's because I'm not attracted to individual people, but naked people are arousing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

in my experience as soon as you tell Instagram you’re a dude it’s bikini hauls and baseball all the way down. they are probably using the same recommendation engine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

baseball?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hosed up, I know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

i’m into babes. let the world know

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

we know

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

echinopsis posted:

echi there are like four things about you everyone knows and this is one of them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goblin week posted:

echi there are like four things about you everyone knows and this is one of them

babes, divorced dad, diabetes, whats the 4th?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

babes, divorced dad, diabetes, whats the 4th?

no who’s on first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
imagine deliberately signing up for a new facebook product in 2023 lmao