Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
it's quick and easy to make on the stovetop and way cheaper. wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Oh yeah it's way easier to wait for a pan to heat up and have to season and butter it and then create more dishes. Genius.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

oh look, it's forums poster ELTON JOHN looking down on people who do things differently. What a shocker.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

not nearly enough microplastic in stovetop popcorn

Nov 6, 2002

Bad Purchase posted:

not nearly enough microplastic in stovetop popcorn

It's called TEXTURE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sometimes you dont have a stove

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I make it on the stove, but that's because I don't have a microwave.

It takes comparatively ages compared to a microwave, and if you're not good at it you can gently caress it up.

What is the point of microwave popcorn - Quick, easy.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm here to Pop

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A bag of microwave popcorn creates 0 dishes to clean OP.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A bag of microwave popcorn creates 0 dishes to clean OP.

Not the way I do it.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I've never used the weird little stove top pans with a handle and the alfoil covering that expands.

Just seems abnormal.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Corn

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i got one of those microwaveable silicone bowls you can pop popcorn in a couple years back, and it's great, toss in a handful of kernels, a spoonful of coconut oil, sprinkle some flavacol and let 'er rip. less work than stovetop and tastes better than a bag of microwave popcorn

the bowl can be a bit of a pain to clean the oil out of by hand, but it's dishwasher safe and that gets the job done. or you can just leave the oil in it like it's a seasoned pan if you use it often enough. however, beware that coconut oil can turn solid at around 75 F, so it might look gross and chunky if you do that unless your house stays warmer than that.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i shall take my corn unpopped thank you very much

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I only pop corn using those dangerous spinning pressure vessels that loving explode popcorn like a cannon you see on viral videos

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty difficult to find popcorn in bulk, like most groceries and supermarkets here will have some microwave options and no giant bag of kernels.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
protip, you can make any popcorn in the microwave

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

mobby_6kl posted:

It's pretty difficult to find popcorn in bulk, like most groceries and supermarkets here will have some microwave options and no giant bag of kernels.

what? it's plastic and it's got an old man on it. kind of looks like a container of plastic. it's in every store, with the microwave popcorn

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

any air poppers itt? how's that life?

we had one when i was a kid and it was really loud, but it did pop a nice kernel

had to put the toppings on after, though, so it didn't get spread as nicely as when the kernels are popped in the oil

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bad Purchase posted:

i got one of those microwaveable silicone bowls you can pop popcorn in a couple years back, and it's great, toss in a handful of kernels, a spoonful of coconut oil, sprinkle some flavacol and let 'er rip. less work than stovetop and tastes better than a bag of microwave popcorn

the bowl can be a bit of a pain to clean the oil out of by hand, but it's dishwasher safe and that gets the job done. or you can just leave the oil in it like it's a seasoned pan if you use it often enough. however, beware that coconut oil can turn solid at around 75 F, so it might look gross and chunky if you do that unless your house stays warmer than that.

use avocado oil

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
also folks you can get a 1L carton of flavacol off amazon and good lord will that ever change your popcorning game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's the point of anything, op

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I had a microwave popper my whole life that was just a special plastic bowl with a clear plastic shell that went over the top. I used it so much it developed a hole in the bottom, after which I eventually had to get a "new" one on ebay because they stopped making them in the 70s or 80s

Nov 6, 2002

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm worried about microplastics so i cook my food in a silicon bowl lol

this solution sounds like the worst of all worlds: the inconvenience, time and dishes of using the stove, and the microplastics of using the microwave

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
One time I had a bag of popcorn that said to microwave it for 4 minutes. So I microwaved it for 4 minutes, and it burned to hell. Then I pulled out the next bag and that one said to microwave it for 3 minutes. This was at work, too, so while the kitchen area smelled like buttery death, I at least had proof of the fuckery.

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

How else am I going to make the break room at work smell like burnt rear end?

Nov 6, 2002

almost1337 posted:

One time I had a bag of popcorn that said to microwave it for 4 minutes. So I microwaved it for 4 minutes, and it burned to hell. Then I pulled out the next bag and that one said to microwave it for 3 minutes. This was at work, too, so while the kitchen area smelled like buttery death, I at least had proof of the fuckery.

That's why you always listen you fool, you absolute wretch.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wisard
Hams

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You cant pop them all man, don't wait around hoping and ruin it all, use your ears and pull out in time!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looking like we got a candidate for a thread to become the GBS CORN MEGATHREAD here folks

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
why would you not just buy the already made stuff

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's why you always listen you fool, you absolute wretch.

Yep. When you can count three seconds between hearing any pops, it's done regardless of what the instructions say.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if you aren't doing your popcorn like this you are missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5jh9VglDw

Nov 6, 2002

Hammerite posted:

GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
light the lawn on fire and chuck whole corn cobs in. bingo bango there's your popcorn, quick easy cheap

Nov 6, 2002

Konar posted:

if you aren't doing your popcorn like this you are missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5jh9VglDw

A delicious lead box full of popcorn.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Costco Meatballs posted:

use avocado oil

what the gently caress? on popcorn? jesus christ

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i'm worried about microplastics so i cook my food in a silicon bowl lol

this solution sounds like the worst of all worlds: the inconvenience, time and dishes of using the stove, and the microplastics of using the microwave

silicone, particularly food rated, does not degrade like plastic does. also it's not the same time and dishes as stovetop, it's faster and less to clean. i've tried all methods, and the silicone bowl is the optimal solution at home unless you're making industrial quantities of popcorn.

e: air popping is also a good solution, i would accept that as well

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 6, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

any air poppers itt? how's that life?

we had one when i was a kid and it was really loud, but it did pop a nice kernel

had to put the toppings on after, though, so it didn't get spread as nicely as when the kernels are popped in the oil

I have an air popper and it works great. Never burns, there's never more than a kernal or two that don't pop. Highly recommend if you're a frequent popcorn eater.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

2006 era vintage something awful. classic front page material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

Why not run over children all the time. Who cares! Nothing matters!