Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Problem description: I've been having brief split-second stutters in programs I'm running for a few seconds at a time. It's most noticeable when I'm playing a game, especially in something like, say, Bizhawk; there's about 5 to 8 stutters for a couple of seconds and then it doesn't happen again until several minutes later.
- I used Process Explorer to take a peek at what could be causing the problem, and I noticed on the chart and graph that whenever there was stuttering, Dropbox.exe and Explorer.exe were spiking to about 10%-20% CPU usage, when most programs don't go above 2%-3% at any given time. I disabled Dropbox, thinking that would solve the problem, but Explorer.exe is still spiking the CPU to between 7% and 12% and causing these microstutters, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
- I've checked with CrystalDiskInfo, and it says my hard drives are all in good condition, so I don't know what else the problem could be, here. Maybe I'm mixing up correlation and causation, but I don't know how else to explain it if the usage is spiking every time I have these stutters. I've actually been low key wondering if it's not a power issue, but then, my computer hasn't been losing power or anything...

Attempted fixes: I disabled Dropbox. I visited my local computer hardware enthusiast storre, and they recommended I disable Vsync and "Freesync" (whatever that is) and try a clean install of my graphics drivers. I don't know what Freesync is and couldn't find it in the Nvidia control panel, but I disabled Vsync and did a clean graphic driver install, and that still hasn't fixed it.

Recent changes: I moved my computer to a new desk, and added a second monitor about a month ago.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs: I've Ship of Theseus'd this thing so hard that I might as well list part by part.
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming
CPU: Intel i7-8700K 3.70GHz
Hard drives:
--- 1xSamsung 970 EVO, 250GB M.2 SSD
--- 1xSamsung 860 EVO, 1TB SSD
---1xWD Black 1TB HDD, 7200RPM
---1xWD Blue 3TB HDD, 5400 RPM
RAM: 16GB generic RAM
Graphics card: Geforce RTX 2070 Super
Power supply: It's a Corsair, 750 watts.. I don't know which one off the top of my head. Probably CX750M? I'd have to open up the case to identify it.
Monitors: ASUS VA325 and ASUS VA249

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Would that I could find a solution that was relevant and worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some initial things to try:

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.
-Run DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4518 and then install the latest GPU drivers again.
-Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.
-Run https://www.memtest.org/ to see if it finds issues.

If none of that helps then I'd disconnect the two HDDs and see if that has any effect (even if they show up in CDI as being good it's not a 100% guarantee).

If that doesn't help then I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if the issue continues.

A degraded PSU could cause stuttering.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Zogo usually tells people to use HD Sentinel to check the drive health, must've forgot. Do that too and see if there's any obvious errors. This feels like an i/o event or a crash/restart of something critical.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

down1nit posted:

Zogo usually tells people to use HD Sentinel to check the drive health, must've forgot. Do that too and see if there's any obvious errors. This feels like an i/o event or a crash/restart of something critical.

HD Sentinel shows every drive except my boot M.2 drive at 100%; the boot drive is at, I think, 95%. No errors, but could that be it?

I've done the initial bits Zogo suggested and I'm still having the hitching, unfortunately. Haven't had the time or the room to really open up my PC to disconnect drives yet, either.

I HAVE noticed that sometimes the taskbar seems to freeze up, not responding when I click anything on it; for some reason, pressing the Windows key to open the Start menu fixes this.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Is the boot drive an ssd? Do you have any rgb programs or headset/xsplit/gamer stuff running?

I missed the crystal disk info earlier. HD Sentinel does the same thing mostly (for troubleshooting anyway)

Disconnecting the drives just means unplug the sata data cable IMO. Hop on that when you can and just run on ssds to check.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

down1nit posted:

Is the boot drive an ssd? Do you have any rgb programs or headset/xsplit/gamer stuff running?

I missed the crystal disk info earlier. HD Sentinel does the same thing mostly (for troubleshooting anyway)

Disconnecting the drives just means unplug the sata data cable IMO. Hop on that when you can and just run on ssds to check.

It's an M.2 SSD, yes. I *do* have RGB stuff going on my keyboard and a little on my mouse; would that be factoring into the Explorer spikes at all? I had it going before and it wasn't spiking, though. I feel like this is something that started in the last month or two.

I'll try disconnecting my HDDs when I can get a static-free workspace going again. Re-arranged my room recently.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 13, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I couldn't believe it myself but loving corsair icue caused a customer of mine to have huge performance issues.

Another had bluescreens from a dongle on an nzxt headset. Imo most of these hardware companies have kinda trash software and it's a thing I think about a lot.

How many gamers with neat setups are being trashed by a rosewill usb rgb strip and it's software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
To be clear there's no real reason to suspect it's that, but just knowing it is possible is good.