Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
dishwasher
fridge
goku
water heater
View Results

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i put some sand in my condoms; just can't get hard otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

jammyozzy posted:

Oh my, this has reminded me of an apartment I stayed in once where the induction hob was controlled by this magnetic puck

You tipped the puck towards which ring you wanted to control, then turned it to control the heat.

What happens when you accidentally brush it off while juggling hot pans, or someone just picks it up and walks off? Dunno, but I hope there's no reason you need to adjust anything in a hurry

:psyduck: what the gently caress

who even came up with this?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

r u ready to WALK posted:

I fell for the whole Bosch/Siemens home-connect smart appliance scam and now I have an oven that likes to crash and reboot in the middle of cooking things.

I miss the old one where you turned a knob and it got hot, and you turned another knob to decide how hot.

my oven has spirals on top of it that get hot through the miracle of passing an electric current through a material with high resistivity. same thing for the inside of the oven itself, but the thingies aren't spiral shaped. there are 5 knobs to make things less hot or more hot. last time i thoroughly cleaned it i found a yellowed folded piece of paper taped to the inside of where the knobs are mounted which turned out to be the list of parts and parts numbers, and the full circuit diagram for the whole thing which i imagine is there in case you ever need to repair it with supplies you scavenged from the bombed-out ruins of a radio shack after surviving thermonuclear war with the soviets, which most likely was still a concern at the time it was built

anyways what i'm trying to say is i don't have problems with my oven rebooting and i'm never replacing it unless i'm absolutely forced to

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

r u ready to WALK posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thank you rotor i don't think i could've taken much more of this

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

I wish my Washerdryer would make a noise when it was done, it’s too easy to forget about. it does have some kind of Ethernet port on it though

fill it with epoxy; don't take any chances

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

post hole digger posted:

more like electrosux boom headshot

one of many cases of a brand that was supposed to be really good 50 years ago which got sold and bought about ten times since then but still gets enough recognition that slapping it on whatever garbage gets it to sell

like rca or general electric

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jenny Agutter posted:

I never buy an appliance without checking consumer reports ratings first but it’s annoying that there’s a new model of everything every year so it still involves some guesswork

i know right? thanks to the magic of capitalism when you buy something these days you have a wide variety of brands to choose from, which inevitably fall within the following categories:

- garbage coasting on reputation from 50 years ago
- 50 different brands with names like "BRVVT" or "XVIIL" that all source cheap crap from the same factory and have wildly different descriptions for the same item that range from half-truths to complete lies, making amazon more useless than at any earlier point in time
- some "barebone" brand designed to both fail exactly seven seconds after the warranty expires and be impossible to repair
- some "luxury" brand which mostly exists for people with more money than taste, with the dumbest features imaginable added year after year to force you to either buy the new version, or otherwise face the embarrassment of using an older product which means you might as well be a toothless hillbilly living in a remote mountain shack
- actual luxury brands that act as status symbols and will never actually be used

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's a samsung appliance. i'm not sure you're gonna find a better excuse than that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well yeah but the actual problem they're trying to solve is getting you to buy a new one as often as possible. and i gotta say, samsung's ahead of the pack there

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

the subtitle of this thread should be "don't buy samsung, never buy samsung"

i should have clarified that while they've figured out the "get you to replace your appliances as often as possible" part, they haven't cracked the "but make sure it gets replaced by other samsung appliances" part. my bad

my current theory wrt samsung is that their appliances division is where they send all the fuckups from the other divisions that they can't fire for political or other reasons. hey, guy from the shipbuilding division who designs oil filters that leak everywhere, how 'bout designing fridge compressors instead? embedded dude who can't flash a loving led, how about you write dryer firmware from now on? how about you lcd pannel buddy, you ever wanted to put a tv in a fridge? then boy have i got the job for you!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i was gonna say something like "it'll make the whole thing dry!" but once the surface moisture evaporates there should be a crust that prevents more water from leaving, and besides what makes a roast juicy is largely the fat that melts and seeps through it and that's not going anywhere

but i don't have one of those fancy ovens with a fan in it so i won't be able to try that with that roast beef recipe i haven't made in forever where it's slathered in a blend of dijon mustard and herbs, even though it probably would be a good candidate

this all made me hungry though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i pretty much always use my immersion blender whenever i'm making cream of leeks or another large batch of something like that. the other kinds of spinning blades attached to a motor don't get nearly as much use

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
clearly a skill issue because it's never happened to me and i am the clumsiest, most kinesthetically-challenged organism this side of a jellyfish swimming in thorazine

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Glorgnole posted:

I got one of those last year and aside from the color it looks and feels identical to the one my mom got 25 years ago

no idea if it's true in this particular case, but a lot of those "hasn't changed in 25 years" appliances look the same but the internals have definitely changed, and usually not for the better when it comes to reliability or service life

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

dioxazine posted:

the soviets used a chef's knife surplus mosin-nagant bayonet from ww2

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i could see dremel making an immersion blender attachment

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it certainly couldn't be worse than before

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
https://www.thistothat.com/ might help if you haven't already tried the suggestions there