Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
At this point, it seems like the most reliable leaks are coming from "r0000r." From what's been said so far, the characters that haven't yet been revealed are Reptile, Sindel, Tanya, Reiko, Li Mei, Nitara, Havik, Ashrah, Baraka, Geras, and a new version of Shao who's a general in Outworld's forces, with Takeda, Quan Chi, and Ermac as DLC.

The same leaks have also suggested that the story behind MK1 is a clash between the potential endings of MK11: Aftermath, where Liu Kang's benevolent but internally flawed New Era is being invaded by Shang Tsung, who's conquered everything in his own timeline. Apparently there's a scene in story mode where Kitana massacres the Kombat Kids, but it's the evil versions of them from Shang's timeline, which would theoretically explain where DLC Takeda comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

widespread posted:

Lmao at Li Mei probably being retooled for a third fuckin time. But Havik and Ashrah might be dope. Wonder if Havik still has his weird condition where he must break his body to stay anchored to his physical form.

I figure it's a 50-50 shot that, if she does return, Li Mei ends up throwing in with the ultimate villain, then gets chumped in a cutscene. That seems to be her thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

widespread posted:

Guess someone would be right in saying that Raiden taught Liu Kang how to gently caress up.

You know, in the grand scheme, Raiden actually didn't gently caress up that badly.

By the end of MKX, Onaga never woke up, Shinnok's a severed head, most of the old Outworld villain crew is dead, the new Outworld emperor isn't an expansionist prick (and more importantly, is really easy to beat up), and Armageddon got averted. Sure, it came at the cost of most of the good guys being murdered then converted into revenants, but as the start of MK11 story mode shows, they're not anywhere near as much of a threat.

These are all victory conditions. It's simply that they were messily achieved, or even completely accidental. Raiden sort of Mr. Bean'd his way into a solid overall outcome, which only got jacked up by the direct interference of an Elder God.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DeadButDelicious posted:

a timeline that a Kenshi is from where Kano is/was in Liu Lang's role.

That's actually a shout-out to this weird direct-to-video animated movie from late last year, Snow Blind. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Earth where the Black Dragon's taken charge and Kenshi's the only one trying to fight them.

The twist at the end is it's set in a timeline where Kano won MK11 and has control of Kronika's Hourglass.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Something that stuck with me from the MK9 hype cycle was that the c(k)osplayer they got for MK9 Mileena had to be sewn into the outfit. There was no other way to make it stay on a human body.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

HebrewMagic posted:

Cannot get over the fact Sonya shows up in Aftermath without a single line of dialogue. Fifty fifty it was NRS realized Rhonda couldn't act her way out of a wet sack or she just cost too much

In addition, IIRC, every intro Sonya has with a DLC character after the first Kombat Pack is recycled dialogue on her end. They really punted her straight off the project.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

She was always portrayed as a bit dour and a hard-rear end. If anything I would say her X/11 portrayal humanised her a bit more.

I thought it was an interesting inversion of a typical character beat that Sonya turned out to be the married-to-the-job person who'd allowed that to strain all her personal relationships, while Johnny had softened and matured with time. There's a lot of good characterization in MKX and MK11.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

They're gonna end up talking about comics at San Diego Comic Con and the market can't handle the attendant disruption.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I don't know enough about the mechanics of MKvDC to answer that one but I don't think it ever got picked up at competitions like EVO so that should tell you enough.

I'm not sure how or even if the meta's developed on that one, but MKvDC Superman at launch could chain his ground pound move into itself for a full-screen infinite.

I think they might've fixed that, but then there was an issue where both Flash and Green Lantern could land 40+% combos off their breaker.

It's an interesting game to check out, since it's a sort of midway point between the 3D era and the more balanced systems of MK9 and onward, but there's no denying MKvDC's pretty well busted.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I see we've directly addressed the "is Tanya black" question.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Orv posted:

People are speculating she’s back cause one of the Umgadi kinda has wispy, translucent hair but also that one is in a yellow outfit so it feels pretty reach-y.

Khameleon was also mentioned in the Amazon Italy storefront leak as a Kombat Pack 1 Kameo fighter.

It'd make a certain amount of sense if she's in story mode as a background member of the Umgadi.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Was this ever a question?

Tanya is in the same club with Jade where she's traditionally been just dark enough that chuds will argue about it.

Now NRS has officially hired black/mixed women to be both characters' face models and the usual suspects are upset.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, the story that's emerging is that Liu Kang's New Era is being invaded by Shang Tsung's New Era. It's not just that Liu Kang's vision was flawed and the cracks are showing, but that some people and organizations are being suborned by an outside force.

It looks like the primary issues so far are all with Outworld/Edenia's power structure, which makes a certain amount of sense; Tsung is starting with the people who he already knows how to manipulate.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

Boon may not have had a choice.

MK1 is a WB Games joint, so Boon reports (probably not directly) to David Zaslav. Even after the Warner Bros. Discovery spinoff, the company was still $45 billion in debt as of March 31.

As such, it's safe to expect that anything from WB Games for the foreseeable future will have a bunch of microtransaction-based, penny-pinching bullshit baked into it. It's not that anyone who actually makes these games isn't aware that moves like this are unpopular with consumers; it's that they're owned by a conglomerate that's desperate to make whatever extra money it can.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I wonder what the logic was including 2 evil Supermen archetypes, 2 evil MK wizards, a single Kombat Kid and then John fuckin Cena as Peacemaker in the first round of DLK.

I'd imagine the logic behind the guest fighters was all transmedia synergy and/or a big fuckin' comedy check from Amazon.

Everyone else makes a certain amount of sense, particularly if they're keeping any part of the old origin where Ermac is/contains the ghost of King Jerrod.

I'd also be willing to guess that MK1 Takeda might be from Shang's New Era.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Do that model swap thing from Injustice 2 so Homelander can also be Injustice!Superman, Brightburn, Earth-1 Grant Morrison Ultraman...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Scorpion's MK11 towers ending had him discover that his family's death was a Dr. Who-style fixed point in time, for reasons that were beyond anything he could learn with Kronika's power.

While not every tower ending ever amounts to anything, both that and Hanzo himself feel like big, unfired Chekhov's guns for this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

He introduces himself in the reveal trailer as "Earthrealm's protector and the God of Fire." Either Kang doesn't have Kronika's power anymore, or he's not inclined to run off to reset the timeline whenever any little thing goes wrong. (You hear that, Barry Allen?)

Either way, in MK cosmology, there are the Elder Gods (unthinkably powerful, rarely directly active), the Titans (Kronika, Shinnok, Cetrion), the gods (Raiden, Fujin, Argus), and then demigods like Rain. Kang's acting like Raiden, which means he's willing to take a direct hand in things if it means keeping Earthrealm safe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Somebody was asking around for people who know way too much about MK lore, so I got to step out of the crowd like David Bowie in Zoolander.

https://www.ign.com/videos/mortal-kombat-1-all-timeline-differences-weve-noticed-so-far

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I like Geras. He's basically the Terminator in 11 and in 1 it's like "what if the Terminator got to get a non-poo poo job" and that's interestnig.

He was also one of the most popular characters in competitive play for quite a while.

More importantly, Geras trained at the dawn of time to invent crucial moves like the elbow drop and running neckbreaker. He's the first pro wrestler.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

90sgamer posted:

I just remembered that weird subplot in MK11 where Jax is old and has dementia and Shang Tsung I think is manipulating him?

Jax is old, yeah, but it's Kronika tempting him with the ability to bring back his recently deceased wife, as well as reshuffle the deck so Jacqui's safe. Between that and his MKX PTSD, Jax had a lot of baggage by MK11.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

lol though at a base character somehow being a Year Two Kameo, the most hilarious part of this

I could see a bunch of the base roster characters who aren't already Kameos being added to the game over time, but I'd hope that those Kameos wouldn't be straight-up Kombat Pack bait. Something's off about that.

I'd also imagine that they're going to have to be very careful about the Kameos. It'll be a miracle if we get to year two of the game without at least one Kameo leading to a touch-of-death/infinite, given how fast they seem to recharge.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Orv posted:

Also I’m betting Johnny’s suit is some kind of timeline jumping thing because Kenshi is in one too at the start of the trailer

I thought it was fairly obvious from context that Johnny and Kenshi are keeping a low profile on some kind of Outworld infiltration op.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Orv posted:

Yeah but that’s also way too straightforward for MK it’s gotta be something dumber

I'd argue that MK, particularly post-MK9, is crazy, but not stupid.

While there are a lot of really goofy elements of the world, like how MKX involved Sub-Zero having to very seriously use the phrase "cyber-ninjas" more than once, the characters in it tend to act with reasonable care and intelligence in their respective situations.

There are a couple of obvious exceptions, like that one bit in Jax's MK9 chapter where he takes time out during a dangerous situation to beat the living poo poo out of Johnny for a while, but MK is about as intelligent as it can be for the kind of story it's telling.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm waiting to see the actual story of MK1 before I decide how much of a screw-up Liu Kang is now. It does at least look like he voluntarily put Geras in charge of the Hourglass. Liu Kang may not have the ability to casually fix all his problems with time travel, Barry Allen style.

The leaked story mode footage from SDCC has Liu Kang mention that Shao's coup against Outworld is the result of Shang Tsung's manipulation, which fits with the early theory that a lot of what's going wrong is down to Shang Tsung attacking the New Era from the outside.

I'd also note that for all his reputation as a complete gently caress-up, the only reason why Raiden didn't hit 100% victory conditions in MKX was Scorpion going on a revenge bender.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Floodixor posted:

was there anything just about the base game of MK11 that really irked people? Like how is MK10 better than MK11 for instance, I guess. I dunno, I like MK11 a lot aside from the krypt grindy bullshit but I don't know a ton about fighting games like you guys do

MK11's recharging, fixed meters were a bit of an issue for people who were more used to the build-and-spend MK9/MKX meters. Since they're gone in MK1, it's probably safe to consider the MK11 meter system a bit of a failed experiment.

You can also point to the stories of serious overwork that came out right before and after MK11 launched. The big part of it that seems to have stuck in the fans' minds is that the gore level in MK11 is so comparatively realistic that a bunch of NRS animators gave themselves PTSD because they had to watch a lot of gory footage as reference material.

Further, MK characters take a lot of work to make, even by comparison to characters from other fighting games, because MK characters all have to have consistent internal bones/organs/gore. An MK game that had fatal blows/fatalities and which gave every character a few dozen different costumes and at least 3 kinds of customizable gear was, in hindsight, always going to be a recipe for developer burnout.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gavok posted:

At the same time, they list the families of Liu, Johnny, and Sonya. Johnny's parents are Robert and Rose Carlton and his sister is Rebecca. He also has an ex-wife named Cindy Ford. None of that has ever been referenced anywhere else. Similarly, Liu Kang has a brother whose whereabouts are unknown (I wonder if that was the original concept for Kung Lao) and Sonya had a twin brother who died.

Now that you mention it, there's an intro between Johnny and Cassie in MK11 where Cassie mentions "Grandma Carleton" told her a really embarrassing story about Johnny as a kid.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Does anyone remember how they've handled pre-order bonus skins in the past? Do they become regularly available later? The Van Damme skin sounds fun, but the kombat pass doesn't interest me too much, so I'm not gonna drop an extra 30 bucks on a costume.

MK9 through 11 all got a "complete edition" eventually that included all the DLC in a single package.

I own Mortal Kombat XL (geddit?), and all the DLC stuff was available from the start unless it was something that had to be unlocked via the Krypt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, I think it may be that some Kameos are mechanically better or can lead to better outcomes, but nobody's ever going to regret picking Frost. The slow ice orb alone is a crazy mix-up tool.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

At this point, with this insane (in a good way!) roster, it is so goddamn weird that we're getting playable Johnny Cage but not the Sonya/Jax/Kano troika. They're supposed to be at the tournament too!

Did Cassie just really piss off Liu Kang and he's trying to prevent her birth?

Keep in mind that part of Sonya and Kano's background is that they basically ended up in Shang Tsung's tournament by mistake (Sonya chased Kano onto the island in the original timeline, IIRC), and Jax was there to save Sonya. Johnny, on the other hand, got an invite on his own merits.

If Liu Kang's just gathering a bunch of killer martial artists as participants in an inter-realm tournament, then everyone he's grabbed makes at least some sense.

maruhkati posted:

This is kind of the fundamental problem with how Aftermath ended. With a mighty god capable of rewriting time on the side of good, it's impossible for evil to be much of a threat unless said god is a colossally stupid fuckup.

The implication so far is that Liu Kang used the Hourglass to bring back the realms in his New Era, then rebuilt Geras as the Hourglass's defender. Liu Kang can't simply run back to it every time he forgets to turn the oven off; he removed the temptation by making it the responsibility of someone other than himself.

Which, I suppose, does raise the possibility of Liu Kang vs. Geras, if poo poo gets bad enough in the New Era.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gavok posted:

It makes me wonder if Liu Kang simply shipped them because he wants Kitana to be happy, but knows he can't be there for her. That's what his MK11 ending boiled down to. So he sets her up with a guy he trusts and puts Johnny in a relationship that's a lot less dysfunctional.

Yeah, but Johnny's in it, so... six months.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've been making points in Liu Kang's favor lately, but seriously, after watching the prologue, letting Shang Tsung live at all is his own drat fault.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

The second one. A writing choice which continues to baffle me to this very day

The degree to which they hammered the reset button for MK11 right out of the gate makes me think it was some corporate overlord decision.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I think it's more likely that they wrote themselves into a situation they later changed their minds on, either because they didn't know what to actually do with what they set up, or they came up with this other plot they liked better.

It's a WB studio, so Occam's razor says anything weird or questionable about it was some word handed down from corporate.

What I'd imagine is that someone at WB saw what they had racked up, with a redeemed Scorpion, good guy Sub-Zero, evil Raiden, and Netherrealm Power Couple Liu Kang & Kitana, and vetoed most of it based upon transmedia synergy with the live-action/animated movies.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

But the status quo isn't being reset. It's another completely different status quo.

like if this was all about trans media synergy we wouldn't have alive scorpion who is a totally different dude, fire god liu kang, humble monk raiden, wizard rain, princess mileena, a bunch of obscure nobodies revived as major characters, etc

I'm talking about MK11 suddenly abandoning everything to do a time-travel plot, not the MK1 reboot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

But MK11 still has Liu and Kitana as a couple, Past Scorpion being redeemed after present Scorpion's death, Cassie and Jacqui, Liu becoming a god, dead modern Sonya in like the first fifteen minutes. and ends with the timeline being exploded. I don't think that reads as "corporate vetoed them doing new things".

They built up to a Raiden heel turn with Liu Kang as lord of the Netherrealm and then suddenly abandoned it in MK11 in favor of a time-travel plot that hit two successive reset switches and let them bring back a host of characters who'd been conclusively killed off by that point. If your two theories are "maybe these writers aren't great" or "WB made one of their studios do something stupid," I'd go with the latter every time.

After all, the writers have visibly done quite a few things right, because people give a poo poo about characters like the Kombat Kids or Kollector to begin with.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Edit: Wait, are they actually referencing MK Conquest of all things with Kung Lao in this trailer? Holy poo poo.

I thought it was Jennifer's Body.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'd imagine a guy like Boon is probably a big get for a show like Hot Ones when every unionized actor in the USA is forbidden to promote their projects due to the WGA/SGA strikes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

man nurse posted:

So now that the game is out in the wild, is there any word on like, what the content is? Is there a krypt still? Any customization to unlock? Towers of Time type stuff?

A lot of the game is apparently only going to arrive with the big day-one patch, which is in keeping with past games.

One thing that's already out there that I think is interesting is that every character's arcade ending appears to be canon this time out and so far, they're all set after the story mode's conclusion.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Are there any rumors or hints as to who the last mystery character is? We know Ermac is dlc, Shang Tsung is pre-order and Reiko has been all but confirmed, but game comes out in 3 days and we still don't know full roster

Some dude got the full game early and streamed the entirety of story mode over the weekend. If the 24th slot actually has a character assigned to it at launch, then that character won't be in the game at all until the day-0 patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

The thing that gives me pause is all the juggling. And I know its been a part of fighting games for a long time. Its the very core of what combat is, you make a mistake, you get punished. But being juggled and bouncing off the floor for these really drawn out combos with nothing that can be done until the combo is exhausted or your opponent makes a mistake just irks me. I guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.

While breakers are really expensive this time out, requiring a full bar and an available Kameo, they do still exist.