Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The jumpscares are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Looks kool to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Liu Kang learned from Aftermath that sacrificing your friends and allies to drop an epic burn on Shang Tsung is in fact super awesome and is just following that line of thought to its most logical conclusion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am now pro-bringing back 3D era characters because they're all basically new designs by this point with the added wow factor of making them not look like a total piece of poo poo and pleasing the 3 remaining Darrius holdouts on Earth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Li Mei looks sick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Announcing DLC characters before the release of the full game is pretty standard FG grift by now. Pretty much all of them do it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Liu Kang was like "yeah I ship that."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Liu Kang likes to watch. He's a prankster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So the ultimate evil in the universe is corporate consolidation. I get it now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is it gonna be MP only like the last one or will you actually have a chance to lab around in practice mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Geras was super popular in competitive so it's not entirely surprising that he's back. If you played KL for any appreciable length of time at all then you had to learn that matchup.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jade isn't really a zoner in MK11. You can play her that way, but you're basically skipping out on her terrifying mix-up + pressure game from Delia's Dance and her extremely good B3 string to throw subpar projectiles (with the exception of EX Air Glaive abuse).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is ninjakilla himself a killer ninja or one who kills ninjas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've never been a huge Reptile fan and he looks hideous to me, but somewhat less hideous than his 3D era and MKX designs. So that's progress!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Orv posted:

I don’t remember who exactly, I think maybe Havik’s, explicitly shows the opponent’s entire skull shattering into hundreds if not thousands of tiny pieces. You don’t walk or really exist after any MK super but that one feels particularly egregious.

At some point they got a physician to review the MK11 fatal blows and he determined that only about 3-4 would actually be survivable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The terms of the mortal kombat tournament have always seemed pretty fair to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

They're doing random regional special skins again:

ED BOON COME TO BR... never mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Those were the innocent times before Ed Boon vowed to abolish the letter C forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most fighting games never get betas on PC because they're worried about datamining for whatever reason. Or they're just lazy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like the damage potential I'm seeing so far, breaking combos isn't an automatic decision anymore and you actually have to optimize with kameos as opposed to "Geras presses a single button for 35% of your life" in MK11.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One of my favorite Jade players from MK11 is maining Li Mei in MK1 and hell, I'm about to do the same. Her air lantern setups look so fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnz6HvwVv8I

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sonya is more optimal for Mei in terms of overall damage but nobody is going to argue with a low freeze.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That had me wondering if Sindel is going to be a stance character in this game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

EorayMel posted:

The revamped 3D era characters(outside of Kenshi) may as well be new characters tbh

Yes, who before this game really gave a poo poo about Li Mei or Ashrah. Yes, I know these people statistically exist that was a rhetorical question!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Amazing, they brought back Cyrax's MK3 world-destroying fatality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mechanically it seems to be taking an assortment of several mechanics from MK9-11.

Flawless Block is back, but all you get from it is negated chip damage and maybe(?) less pushback. No more full combos from FBing Shao's main neutral string.
Fatal Blows are back but have a much longer windup time, no more throwing them out raw from neutral for 35%.
Every character has 1 armored wakeup move, no more 8 different options to get up from a knockdown (FINALLY).
EX is back and has to be earned by hitting or getting hit, it doesn't recharge automatically.
MKX style combo breakers are back, costs all 3 bars + a kameo to pull off.
In terms of the actual flow and speed of the game, it seems the most similar to MK11 for me. Maybe the tiniest bit faster.

Those are the biggest things I've noticed. Kameos are essentially your variations now because you can completely transform their combo structure or gameplan depending on which one that you pick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I used to think one of my problems with 11 was the slower pace but it was actually the slower pace in conjunction with what seemed to be design decisions oriented entirely around encouraging passivity and punishing assertive play. MK1 feels great to me and I didn't even really notice that it's really not much faster than 11 since it's not constantly saying "gently caress you" for trying to press advantage though nonsense like getting punished if your opponent breakaways your juggle, the 10000 wakeup options, passive meter regain, and fatal blows that are 1 frame execution, fast, armored, damaging, safe, and come back even if you gently caress up

The sheer number of defensive wakeup options in MK11 absolutely drove me up the wall. Don't get me wrong, I loved MK11 enough to play for like a billion hours and rank up to God (before people knew what they were doing) and Demi-God (after), but yeah. If I knock you down, then I should always, ALWAYS have the advantage. I should not have to 50/50 myself guessing if you're going to forward roll, backward roll, wakeup X, wakeup Y, delay, or just come out mashing. Combine that with certain characters getting krushing blows for something as simple as "counterhit" and whoops Shang Tsung now just did the same exact damage to you as you did to him from a full combo by literally pressing one button. "Oh but just neutral jump + back up a little + pick Jacqui" well now you've lost the entire point of getting them into the corner to begin with. Infuriating!

Anyway, I'm glad that MK1 appears to be ramping up the aggression and that even pity combos are hitting north of 30% now. Feels good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The invasions look really cool. Reminds me of the weapon dungeons from Soul Calibur 2 but more fleshed out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Liu Kang knowingly sacrificing his friends just to own Shang Tsung at the end of Aftermath was his whole plan all along so I wouldn't count him out of just being a cruel and capricious god.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Weird that our friendly interplanar exhibition "The Mortal Kombat" did not get many signups this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gavok posted:

So... looks like they moved the game's release date up?

Last I heard it's September 14th for preorders, September 19th for the dirty masses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'll miss thicc Sindel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IW2zl3m8U

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All of the best story beats really were in Aftermath. Shang Tsung chewing scenery and Sindel / Shao Kahn being #relationshipgoals were great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Kombat Kids were good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think MK11 made the decisions it made because having most of your cast stuck as undead revenants was really lame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The central design principle of the 3D era was trying to remake Kano in a half dozen different ways that were altogether less satisfying than just having Kano.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ed Boon brings him back on the one condition that he is renamed Ksu Kao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's okay if NRS delays this game, everybody is busy wrapping up their second playthrough of BG3 anyway.