Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major thing with DLC is that it, by necessity, needs to be planned in advance. Even if you're not going to release it until the game is out for a while it still needs to be something you start building before the game is out. Everything from voice acting to how they interact with the UI is something generally best to plan out ahead so you don't run into trouble later. It would make no sense and make everything harder to start work on DLC only after the game was out.

You can argue "Well, why don't they include it in the original release" and a big part of it is time and budget. Just because a character is already being worked on doesn't mean they are done or being given priority, and at some point you are going to have to solidify what characters are going to be in at launch versus who you can set aside and work on later. This makes it easier to focus on having a relatively worry-free launch because you can prioritize the main cast.

There are certainly cases where a character probably would have been in the game if not DLC (Shang Tsung in 1 seems a very likely example of that) but just because DLC is announced beforehand doesn't mean it is being actively prioritized beforehand. And there is a good amount of stuff that probably just wouldn't get worked on if not for DLC. It would either be shelved or set aside for a sequel or pseudo-sequel (i.e: an Ultimate/Turbo/whatever edition.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Elder Gods in the MK universe aren't really omnipotent flawless beings. They're more akin to Greek Gods in that they're actually pretty much powerful humanish fuckups.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Liu Kang's shooting kamehamehas and creating black holes now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Geras. He's basically the Terminator in 11 and in 1 it's like "what if the Terminator got to get a non-poo poo job" and that's interestnig.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Harley Quinn's a bit of a stretch but Deathstroke seems fine

Harley Quinn but it's the cartoon version now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't someone at the MK head office hate the MK theme song?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Is it just me, or are the characters reactions to all the horrific fatalities done on them feel very understated? Like they yell in pain but they aren't screaming in agony like they did in the PS2 games

It is canonical that shattering someone's spine and then stabbing them five times in the eye are just things family members do to show they care about one another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diabetic posted:

Legitimately, is there any one in MK that isn't a colossal gently caress up?

Only one that comes to mind is Shao Khan who spent roughly 10,000 years ruling Edenia/Outworld with no issues.

Shao Khan being a colossal fuckup is the only reason he lost in MK9.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup. I want to say Goro never really screwed up. He just lost fights. Probably his biggest offense is the MKX prequel comic, where he killed Kotal Kahn's dad as a way to piss Kotal off, figuring it would make him erratic and sloppy, only for Kotal to completely wreck Goro's poo poo and remove his arms.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero's biggest offense is, what, training a woman who was too power-hungry for her own good and self-destructed on herself?

Goro's biggest mistake was breaking Johnny Cage's sunglasses.

(Also I feel like arcade endings and such should also be viable choices for Biggest Fuckup.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

All joking aside, I do not think that Liu Kang will be a secret villain in that he would be resetting every time things go terribly.

But I do think that he will be tempted to once things really start to go to poo poo. And I think there will be a story mode fight or two where someone (Raiden, for maximum irony) will need to try to stop him from turning out the lights and convince him give the world a fighting chance to exist.

I think the eventual plot outcome is going to be 'there shouldn't be any all powerful gods controlling the fate of men at all. Everything should be decided by mortals
.. through MORTAL KOMBAT'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

What the hell? This makes the move list extremely difficult to read at a glance, what was wrong with arrows???

Maybe this is dumb of me but I don't see the issue. It's a D pad with the direction you need to press in white. It doesn't seem any more difficult to me to read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I hope they start stepping up the hype machine. They've revealed only a handful of fighters so far, right?

We're up to 18 fighters not counting cameos and DLC. (19 if you count Shang Tsung)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that the Tarkatan sickness is actually not a sickness, it's something that is causing people who were Tarkatan in the previous universe to start turning back into Fangs Clawmans, since as far as we know every single person infected with it is someone who was one in the previous universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

sareena kameo can summon a puddle that drains the opponent's super meter lol

sindel's got a special that makes kameo abilities have shorter cooldowns. If you EX it, it modifies the opponent's kameo, and if they try and break, it cancels it out and pops the opponent up lmao.

she has another special that, with a good enough read, locks out the opponent's kameo for a bit. With an EX you straight up steal the kameo and you get a use of one of their abilities.

That seems kind of insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait people didn't like Kollector?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regrettable posted:

Maybe WB forced them to add Cole Young.

I am genuinely surprised that we didn't get Cole Young to be honest.

.. gently caress, maybe that's why Hanzo isn't around

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok, why did you let me know this amazing thing exists and I will never get to see it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Cole Young is a big part of why people are harsh on the new movie. MK:A was an absolute garbage trash fire with no redeeming qualities whatsoever but I think it's easier for people to forgive than than to forgive having to endure the story of some nobody who they don't care about with no interesting personality or powers when you could be seeing literally anyone else in the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

The 2021 movie fascinates me because if you asked me to make a list of everything I want in a Mortal Kombat movie, every item on that list would be in there somewhere. It's all the other stuff in the movie that sucked so much it made me lose faith in movies.

In other words:

I really want an autopsy of that movie, I want to know exactly who thought Cole was a good idea. I want to know the rationalization for making everyone's superpowers come from the same source. I want a step-by-step analysis of where it went wrong so that someone somewhere can avoid the same pratfalls

It's the same problem as a lot of modern fiction where there has to be a Specific Reason for people to be able to do things, you just can't have a world where magic ninjas exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah the leaks for every video game dlc fighter are loving insane

The last time I was genuinely surprised by a release it was Bridget in Strive

Smash had some fun surprises.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

When we finally get Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat, playing Sindel vs. Necalli comes with a possibility of the two of them getting tangled up mid-fight.

That would require anyone remembering Necalli exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It's sort of interesting that MK11 Scorpion is the first boss of the invasions mode. Apparently the only way that Liu Kang could ensure Scorpion's wife Harumi's survival was to make sure she and Scorpion never met in the first place.

... wow, Liu Kang, way to find the one path literally worse than her dying tragically. "Don't worry Hanzo! It's good, see? She's alive but wants nothing to do with you and your children never existed!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It might've been the only path that was available.

Put another way, even the God of Fire and Keeper of Time is unable to fix the core issue, which is that Hanzo's the problem. Maybe Scorpion oughtta go find the one timeline where he sells aluminum siding in Topeka, how about that.

I am just saying that if I am a horrifying specter of Vengeance And Anger and I discover that someone erased my children from existence I would be a bit miffed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Minor spoiler: that one background character from the trailers that everyone thought was Khameleon really was her. She shows up as kameo assist for Tanya in one fight. I think she just reuses someone else's moveset, but it's a neat little thing.

It's really funny how friendly some of the pre-fight banter can be, only to follow it up with brutal murder and dismemberment.

MK11 opening up with "Let's have a friendly training spar, mom" followed by 2 minutes of nonstop crippling brutality is pretty amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

There are a couple of things about the end of the story mode that struck me as odd. The first one is the kombat kids getting murked. In the middle of scene with tons of goofy designs getting killed in goofy ways, these four just show up with slightly different colors and get killed in boring ways. They don't even do something as easy as swapping their weapons around or giving one of them glowy eyes or something. My first reaction was that it was just pandering to the worst parts of the MK fanbase, but Takeda's in the kombat pass so I don't think it's that. I think they just thought of a set-up and never came up with a punchline. Really bizarre bit of joylessness in the middle of incredible poo poo like the Cage Trio vs Goro Kahn and STUNG LAO

The other is the stinger, but really that's just I dunno if Havik has the vibe of a good big bad. He's an interesting character, but he never felt like a major villain or even especially intimidating. Worse that the story line made him just a jobber. It could work, but right now it just kinda feels like...this dude? Really?

Now give me all the costumes you showed off in that chapter, Netherrealm.

It was 100% to appeal to the terrible part of the fandom, it's like the most weirdly mean-spirited thing to happen in the game. It's just that since it is MK they can have their cake and eat it too by going 'we know these guys suck but if you don't think they suck here they are playable for money!" I mean hell this entire game is "Hey, we know (x) sucks, but we're going to use them anyway and maybe you'll like them this time!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

I'll believe this when they try to sell us Kobra or Hsu Hao in a future Kombat Pack. Madam Bo probably was a decent step, even though I thought people liked regular Bo Rai Cho in MKX.

They're going to give us Darrius and you know it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

As a Kombat Kids liker, I didn't see it as particularly mean-spirited. Maybe it could be read that way, but I just saw it as more comedic than anything in a largely madcap scene. Mortal Kombat as a series is notoriously cruel to its characters, everyone gets a turn being maimed or beheaded in comical ways. Half the cast of this one are rehabbed 3D era losers and nobody seems to mind.

On that note, I finally unlocked a white hatted costume for Ashrah. Are there any that have the gold trim from Deception?

That's actually why it feels weirdly mean spirited to me. MK1 put a lot of effort into trying to 'redeem' jobber characters. Baraka and Reptile both got great showings. And the rest of the fights up to that point have some comedy but it feels like actual comedy. Like the Alt-Johnnies getting pulled into the pit in the background after their big heroic moment was genuinely funny!

I admit the whole Liu Kang appears to dislike children and has gone out of his way to try to prevent several major character's children from ever being born thing sits weirdly with me. Maybe the DLC will make it feel less weird that Liu's strategy for avoiding child tragedy is making sure people never meet and have kids between Hanzo being a youngin' and Sonya being Miss Not Appearing In This Game, not to mention Jax and Kenshi going off to start their own Men In Black org instead though I guess that doesn't prevent kids technically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

Dumb plothole question maybe

Liu Kang says like "OH NO ANOTHER DEADLY ALLIANCE?!"

But he shouldn't have any memory of DA because everything post-MK3 effectively got time-wiped by Raiden, right?

The dude literally became guardian of time, he probably looked back and saw the previous timelines sometime during his planning spree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

So are we thinking that for the DLC, Ermac will be (story spoilers) Jerrod or his usual WE ARE MANY schtick

It's probably going to be the former since all the endings are 'canon' and Jerrod and his wife are chillin' out inside their new corpse body at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I watched a match with SonicFox and someone who had beaten him in the grand finals of a big tournament the week before. And SonicFox was like "I really thought about switching to D'vorah between matches" and the guy was like "Let's see how it would have gone" and SonicFox proceeded to absolutely loving destroy him with D'vorah. Like, they had a game plan for one of the worst fighters in that meta ready to go.

To be fair SonicFox is magic. You can't expect mortals to match their standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

So this is like a discount Superman with a Mario 'stache, right?

Well, MKs 9 thru 11 already did all the most iconic characters so I suppose there's not that many places for them left to go...

Omni-Man is literally a Saiyan from Dragonball Z pretending to be Superman. That's basically the entire joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Hasn't KP2 and an upcoming story expansion been datamined already?

Something being datamined doesn't necessarily mean they will go through with it.