Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This the first time in 28 years that Reptile has looked this good in an MK game. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm looking forward to MK1 but it's gonna be hard not to be disappointed by the fact that in this new game Shang Tsung won't be portrayed by Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa who absolutely killed it when reprising the role for MK11.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Not excited to see Kronika show up again. Shoulda been Shang Tsung from the alternate ending of MK11 aftermath that exists in a parallel universe with its own timeline keeping the OG rivalry between him and Liu Kang alive

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm interested to learn the mechanics of how timelines work in MK now.

It seems things like the existence of the one being and the formation of the realms as something not in control of the hour glass. The realms must always exist and as a result always have the possibility to merge and reform the one being.

Not sure why keep the MK tournament system in place at all but hopefully there's some level of explanation besides God Liu Kang is a dumb dumb who couldn't think of a better way so he just defaulted to what he knew.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Been playing mk11 to prepare for mk1 and after playing a lot of SF6 prior to I gotta say MK11 movement does feel sluggish and stuck in the mud.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yeah I have never liked the guest characters and would wish that they would stop getting shoe horned into MK games.

Things were way more fun when there were secret battles and hidden characters instead.

I do like that mk1 is trying to de-shitify the 3D characters as its primary gimmick and so far they seem to be doing a half decent job of it

Not getting Tagawa again to do the voice and likeness of Shang Tsung is criminal to me however. That was by far the best highlight of MK11

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm really puzzled how some of the facial animations might look really good on some characters and just utterly atrociously weird on others.

I also didn't think the voice acting could be any worse than rousey but Megan Fox proved us all wrong. Lol

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Having played through the story mode I am very much on the fence about everything to do with MK1, which is very much how I've always felt about MK since MK2.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

...! posted:

Welp, this game has convinced me to reinstall MK11 instead. I can't believe how inferior this game is and I'm a little shocked that you guys have the opposite opinion.

Gameplay wise I'm liking this a bit more than MK11, but with story, presentation, and even the character models I like MK11 way more than MK1. MK11 had full on Tagawa supremacy instead of some dude doing a Tagawa impression.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

man nurse posted:

To be fair, it’s a really good impression. I totally buy him as a young version of that guy.

Yeah not trying throw shade on the voice actor, guy is doing a great job. Just ain't the same.

On the topic of voice acting, overall I feel like it's worse in MK1 than MK11. Something is also wrong with the audio mix in that the volume and clarity of the voices just doesn't seem 'right' in story mode. 

Meanwhile I really hope the game gives you use the classic skins the kameo ninjas have for sub zero and scorpion because hate the man-bun ninja haircuts.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 18, 2023

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I like the idea of a god holding a petty grudge against some rear end in a top hat in a previous karmic cycle. I second whoever pointed out the pissed off look on Liu kangs face when he hears from Geras that Shang Tsung was up to some poo poo. That was good stuff

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

NRS can do the scummy thing of offering a better voice performance for Nitara as DLC and make a ton of money because yeah, Fox is terrible enough to make me want to pay an additional five dollars to avoid her performance all together

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The more I play this the more I like the speed and rhythm of the game over MK11. But I gotta say, sub-zero, and scorpion all got kinda weak rear end fatalities compared to the last game. Just really uncreative stuff. And give me their classic costumes already, goddamnit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DeadButDelicious posted:

Having not played an MK game since 9 I was very excited to jump on board this day 1. The story mode was fun but I tricked myself into enjoying invasion mode - way too long and grindy in hindsight. I never took the game online for versus because I wanted to jump into playing with my fighting game buddy... Who is on PC, so our combined interest died off well before we had an idea when crossplay was coming. Then there's the whole Anthony Starr not voicing Homelander thing which sucks because I was excited for Homelander.

Also coming back to MK from such a long absence I don't think I "get" NRS fighting games. Having played SF6 for a few months before MK1 dropped it feels oddly restrictive to throw out these short combo chains instead of poking and then free-forming into a combo. And information felt so scarce! Feels like I was spoiled by Supercombo wiki because it took a while to discover that the fastest moves were 10F so anything -9 or lower was safe on block. Then I remembered TYM still exists but by then my interest was pretty much gone. Which is a shame because there looks like a fun game here, it just didn't make a good first impression.

Oh well, at least my YouTube recommendations are full of 6Arakin getting mad or stomped.

I took my SF6 break to play Mk1. Did story mode and the first season of invasion and... I haven't gone back to it. The game didn't "stick" at all.

1. Buggy as hell.
2. Overt monetization/microtransaction crud. While this also creeped its way into SF6 in a way I don't like, there it feel entirely optional where in MK1 it seems to be the emphasis of the game.
3. Invasion is simply no fun at all. Just grinding fights while moving through the environment is painfully slow.
4. Kameo system/concept is gunk. Why can't I just play as classic scorpion instead of man-bun scorpion with horrible fatalities?
5. The non-mk guest character crap is so tiring. It was bad in Mkx, it was bad in mk11, and looks to be just as bad in mk1.

I do like the faster gameplay and return of air juggles in Mk1 over the gameplay in Mk11 as well as the rehabilitation of 3d era characters... but outside of that this game is severely lacking.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Invasions has to be one of the worst single player modes of any fighting game I've ever played.

Just total garbage