Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Wanderer posted:

The same leaks have also suggested that the story behind MK1 is a clash between the potential endings of MK11: Aftermath, where Liu Kang's benevolent but internally flawed New Era is being invaded by Shang Tsung, who's conquered everything in his own timeline. Apparently there's a scene in story mode where Kitana massacres the Kombat Kids, but it's the evil versions of them from Shang's timeline, which would theoretically explain where DLC Takeda comes from.

This would seem to sync up with some of the versus screen banter between mirror matches who are still acting like they are from different timelines. My personal favourites being a Liu Kang who was tricked by a clown into murdering Kitana (this is the setup for Injustice) and a timeline that a Kenshi is from where Kano is/was in Liu Lang's role.

Ed. ED. I need more character reveals Ed! And not just ninjas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Wanderer posted:

That's actually a shout-out to this weird direct-to-video animated movie from late last year, Snow Blind. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Earth where the Black Dragon's taken charge and Kenshi's the only one trying to fight them.

The twist at the end is it's set in a timeline where Kano won MK11 and has control of Kronika's Hourglass.

Oh really? That's cool I had completely forgotten Snow Blind was a thing. Actually I forgot all the animated films were things, except the VHS one setting up the MK1 story.

Rhonne posted:

We're going to get Cyber-Reptile instead.

Also fine with this as long as I can still go invisible and spit acid at people.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Teenage me thought Mavado in his black trenchcoat and Kabal's hookswords was the coolest poo poo but in hindsight lol you suck Mavado you have two moves and one is a command sidestep. WOW.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Li Mei just eating everyone's lunch in that trailer, and to a slightly lesser extent Tanya. Poor Baraka but he's got all that arm-blade action I want.

Also holy poo poo hahaha I can't believe they picked Darrius off of the 3D MK scrapheap even as a kameo fighter.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sure the make-a-wish foundation is eternally grateful to Fire God Liu Kang.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

yeah sf6 did it and nobody batted an eye

Hell, this game did it before the DLC pack #1 was even announced, or did we all just collectively ignore trailers ending with PRE-ORDER NOW TO GET SHANG TSUNG AND BETA ACCESS?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah this is what I was waiting for and now I can begin to get hyped. This version of Reptile is just *chefkiss* with how he swaps between his natural form and his human form for some of his moves looks so seamless, very impressive.

I'm happy Havik's there being Havik but I'm not sure I'm ready for the level of body horror he's going to bring at this level of graphical fidelity. I hope that I can stomach it when the game drops.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not calling him Sizoss or Sithoz or whatever Liu Kang called him, he's Reptile.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Diabetic posted:

Last one to do it was 9 and it focused on ripping clothes to expose cleavage or organs hanging out of the men.

And for some reason put suggestive bloody handprints on exposed lady butts.

No, I'm not kidding.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

More like FAIL GOD Liu Kang.

Because you know. The gently caress ups.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

He wasn't playable in Deadly Alliance and only appeared in the intro getting his neck snapped and soul eaten by Shang Tsung.

Although he did appear in Kano's ending, of all people, when Kano is killed by Quan Chi and a Liu Kang's soul from the soulnado shoots into his body.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

Who is to the right of Darrius, and also who is below Darrius? I don't recognise either of them.

E: I am a dummy to the right of Darrius is probably Sareena.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe? NRS have gone pretty all-out on including story modes since MK9, which while I wouldn't call them thematically deep, closer to convoluted moreso, they are definitely cinematic, so much so that Capcom and Namco felt they needed to follow suit to keep up in their respective fighting game franchises. They pretty much lead the way in that regard for single player fighting game content.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Re: Guest characters - I agree to an extent about bringing back old characters over movie monsters but you'll hit diminishing returns at some point and end up with a Kombat pack of Kobra, Hsu Hao, Blaze, Taven, Kai and Jarek. While extremely funny I don't imagine that would shift a lot of units. Although NRS have done a great job of rehabilitating the looks of Ashrah, Li Mei and Nitara (goddamn Nitara looks fantastic) personally I think the characters they picked were the most salvageable in terms of concept and don't think the magic would work with those I mentioned in the Loser Kombat Pack.

As for the guest characters themselves, I'm indifferent towards Omni-Man. I enjoyed Invincible and blew through it on a slow work from home day but I wouldn't rewatch it. All I want from Peacemaker is a U CANT SEE ME moment with Kenshi and that's it. Homelander I'm most excited about but it lives or dies on whether they get Antony Starr for his voice. They got his likeness though so here's hoping. The opportunity to play as, or beat the poo poo out of Homelander and feed him his own spine is too good to pass up.

One thing about the roster is that I keep forgetting about characters I'm excited to play as! Nitara is the most recent, but then I remember Havik is in this, and Reptile's redesign is incredible, but oh poo poo General Shao with his big axe is here too, and Shang Tsung looks dope, can't forget my boy Baraka although I just did. I don't know why but so much of the roster ends up being eclipsed by another reveal for me that I forget they're there. Remember Tanya is in this? And Smoke and Rain?

Sorry I'm rambling because I'm so hyped. This comes out a couple of days before my birthday and I have the entire week off so I'm gonna be a 36 year-old man on my sofa getting lost in my stories of ninjas and movie stars and kung fu monks like I was a kid again.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Sushi X posted:

Curious about this too. The official website doesn't link Amazon as a store for the pre-order bonus.

If it's anything like when I pre-ordered RE4 remake (like 2-3 days before the release lol) I got a code emailed or maybe even text messaged to me from an Amazon automated service on the day of release.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Watched a video of the fatalities and there are some really cracking ones but I think it hits home how tired I am of seeing "so and so has all their limbs chopped off and then their head" fatalities. So while stuff like Kenshi's fatalities and Ashrah's with the weird light chain were underwhelming, the Baraka fatality that ends with a barbeque is fantastic, same for Liu Kang's black hole and Geras' time loop. I also appreciated that some of them were call-backs like Reptile ripping your head off with his tongue or Kitana's deadly kiss and of course the kameo fatalities being all old-school was super cool. Yay gore! :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

lol avoiding spoilers in this thread until I get the game for my birthday on Thursday is a lot of fun, the thread's turned into a goddamn CIA document. I appreciate the effort you're all taking to spoiler stuff - you're real ones. :frogbon:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

If you have the time then I recommend watching these two excellent videos that go over the entire roster, introduce every character, their general gameplan, some combos and stuff:

characters

kameos

This came up on my feed earlier today and I sat through most of this and what I got out of it was:

Kharacters I am hype to play (General Shao, Reptile, Baraka, Havik) look excellent.

Kharacters I was on the fence about (Ashrah, Nitara, Kenshi) remain on the fence because of weird mechanics I their kit I don't like.

I showed it to a friend who was stoked to play as Li Mei but by the end he had somehow been converted to a Reiko player? I think he was hype for a pure hand-to-hand martial arts gal (his SF main is Cammy so go figure) and the lantern shenanigans had put him off. Basically if you gender-swap Johnny Cage (Jenny Cage?) he'd be set.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

widespread posted:

They had a kharakter that was somewhat like that oddly enough. Her name was Cassie Cage and oh whoops she and the other Kombat Kids got jabroni'd lmao

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Thanks for playing Guess The Main.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I fired this up for the first time today and even though I had a laundry list of kombatants I wanted to test out I went to Reptile while poo poo was installing, then Baraka and lol now I don't want to play anyone else he's too fun. Sorry Shao, Havik, Nitara!

Also while I'm disappointed that Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa didn't reprise his role I feel like NRS went whole hog on making Shang Tsung such a smarmy slimy snake motherfucker even his smirk on the idle page for kostume stuff is solid gold.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Just finished up story mode. I found it entertaining enough and didn't really think any chapter outstayed its' welcome. It's not top tier storytelling but you don't come to MK for that. Agree with whoever upthread was praising Shang Tsung's VA I loved every second he was on screen.

I wonder how much the dialogue changes for the last chapter because having that many permutations of who can go up the pyramidwould be a serious amount of recording work. FWIW I picked my boy Baraka but now I kinda wanna scour YouTube to watch othera for the minute differences.

As for the mid-credits stinger I'm fine with this. Whereas Titan Shang Tsung would want to just merge everything and be the master of all timelines, Titan Havik would threaten the order of Liu Kang's new era by trying to impose endless chaos, and thanks to Liu Kang revealing to a bunch of other titans how many timelines exist he has done his job of carrying the idiot ball. Bravo!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

On PC, every time you start the game it makes you acknowledge an EULA...that it fails to load the text of:v:

The game was rushed to release hard

lol when I was in Chapter 11 of the story mode instead of displaying the subtitles it was just a code string over when a character was talking. Oops!

Also the game menu is convinced that I still have unlocked fighter and kameo customisation options to look at when nope I have checked them for every character even after finishing story and unlocking the other dude.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I beat that sub-zero like the bitch he is, i told him he should change his name to noob cos he is one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owsxzKb3Nus&pp=ygUVbm9ib2R5IGJlYXRzIHN1YiB6ZXJv

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Is there an MK equivalent to Supercombo wiki? A website that collects things like frame data, if something can be cancelled, move properties and so forth? Would be really quite useful at a glance.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

It does but I'd like to be able to look up a characters on the fly, like if I lose to a Johnny Cage I could check a string and see what the frame data was, see if I could punish it. Also the move list omits some useful information like what causes a hard knockdown, or a re-stand, or a pop-up (eg enhanced Baraka Barrage will end with a launcher but advanced view doesn't tell you this).

I didn't realise it told you in advanced view how to activate brutalities though so that's cool!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Only have a couple of invasion fights left to go before wrapping up the season. It's been fun on the whole, but I feel like the maps are too big for the variety of match conditions the game can offer which I think is the root problem - I wanted to get fights over quickly so I could get to bosses faster but then there's conditions like the smoke or electricity or even homing projectiles that break up your kombo which suck. I'd be more lenient if there was more variety so they came up less.

Also the mode is in dire need of a map so I can tell where I've been since I apparently missed half a floor of Shang Tsung's lab, not counting the area you can visit after clearing the final seasonal boss. Either something I can buy from the Kollector or something I fill in as I go around the board.

Oh and at a base level talismans need to activate faster. I know you can get upgrades for them to do that but there's no point if the activation is too slow after a knockdown.

I had fun overall though and I'm looking forward to the next season so long as there are new zones to go to. Never get tired of finding a quadruple uppercut damage consumable and then one-shotting a fight straight into the klassic brutality. Simpler times indeed, Baraka. :hellyeah:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah I know and I did end up following them I just like having a map I can look at of an area without having to bring out the ol' pen and paper to make it myself. I think I'll do that next time - it's like the Lost Woods in OoT all over again! :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I kept accidentally pulling out the Cyrax throw brutality because sometimes I mash buttons during throws lol. Lots of people with exploded faces on the way to finishing invasion mode. It's nice that NRS added the requirements for brutality's in the advanced move section. I was worried I would have to guess or start writing them down.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

X JAKK posted:

Edit: this isnt the place to discuss big bird

Coming in Kombat Pack 2!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Fwiw Taven and Daegon is the name of an unlockable epic weapon skin for Tanya. They might very well be mythological figures in Liu Kang's timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Having not played an MK game since 9 I was very excited to jump on board this day 1. The story mode was fun but I tricked myself into enjoying invasion mode - way too long and grindy in hindsight. I never took the game online for versus because I wanted to jump into playing with my fighting game buddy... Who is on PC, so our combined interest died off well before we had an idea when crossplay was coming. Then there's the whole Anthony Starr not voicing Homelander thing which sucks because I was excited for Homelander.

Also coming back to MK from such a long absence I don't think I "get" NRS fighting games. Having played SF6 for a few months before MK1 dropped it feels oddly restrictive to throw out these short combo chains instead of poking and then free-forming into a combo. And information felt so scarce! Feels like I was spoiled by Supercombo wiki because it took a while to discover that the fastest moves were 10F so anything -9 or lower was safe on block. Then I remembered TYM still exists but by then my interest was pretty much gone. Which is a shame because there looks like a fun game here, it just didn't make a good first impression.

Oh well, at least my YouTube recommendations are full of 6Arakin getting mad or stomped.