Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright so we get human Reptile and Turok enemy Reptile, everyone wins

Unpopular opinion: Ashrah needs her hat back and Havik should have his skull face. They both look more generic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked 11 the most out of the 9-10-11 run and I liked 9 and 10 a whole hell of a lot. The systems felt the best yet and the guest characters were on point. I dug the towers of time and unlockable customization options. I loved everything about it. Getting the movie actors to reprise their roles was also a pro move.

My hype for MK 1 has tanked a lot because I don’t like tag assist mechanics in fighting games and the guest characters so far don’t appeal to me at all.

I will still buy it and play it but 11 is gonna be a tough act to follow for me personally and the direction they’re leaning with this one doesn’t appeal to me as much.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Diabetic posted:

Has there been any kind of confirmation on what the Krypt will be like this time around? I hated the last two to the point I didn't care to unlock anything. Hoping for more the mk9 route..

There's been basically nothing as far as "this is the kind of content the game will have". Just a few character reveal trailers.

The marketing for this one has been really weird and low key.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The only things I remember about the new MK movie were the opening 5 minutes which were cool, Kano yells about eggrolls, and the OC character fights goro in a garage.

Overall I didn’t think it was very good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean like, Kobra is just some guy in a karate gi.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Imma be honest. I don’t know about this one guys. The tag assist stuff, the weird marketing or lack thereof. The roster. It just all feels very ho hum. I got a ton of mileage out of 11 which felt jam packed and throughly excellent. I’m worried this one isn’t gonna really live up to it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Crowetron posted:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that you're not drowning in ads is a bad thing somehow.

It’s less that and more “I don’t really know what to expect the game to be like”. Besides online and the usual story mode, there’s been little info that I’ve absorbed other than there’s an “invasions” mode. I don’t really know what that means. Will there be a krypt again to unlock stuff in? Rotating towers of time to do? Gear and customization of any kind?

All I’ve really been shown is the tag assist stuff which I personally don’t enjoy, and a roster that’s very strange with guest characters I couldn’t care less about. Maybe that stuff is a personal issue, but.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Because the story modes in these games are fun?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Panderfringe posted:

Knowing all the fun nonsense doesn't make it less fun hth

It's silly that I have to point this out, but "knowing stuff in advance doesn't diminish the amount of fun I have with seeing it" is completely your own opinion and doesn't apply to everyone!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So now that the game is out in the wild, is there any word on like, what the content is? Is there a krypt still? Any customization to unlock? Towers of Time type stuff?

All I’ve seen or heard about is the story mode and invasion mode. What are the hooks to keep you playing besides just online vs this time around

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’m not thrilled to hear that, but I also don’t know much about invasion mode, so I guess we’ll see how good that all is

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Invasion is basically the Towers but on a map you can explore.

Okay. I can get down with that conceptually

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone preloading yet? What’s the size on this bitch

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Games are big now, shock and awe

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I might get booed out of the thread for this but, does this just feel bad to play to anyone else? I remember 11 feeling a lot more fluid. I’m not talking about the overall speed, I’m talking about how everything feels so loving stiff. I’m just not a fan so far.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I dont like how theres no intros, no character voiced intros from versus, in the towers. Unless im missing something. Feels like an oversight

Yeah that’s one big downgrade from 11 imo. I think they smack talk in the load between character select and fight, but it’s not the same.

In regards to my comments about the stiff gamefeel, I think that was impressions from playing early invasions mode. The story fights have felt much fluid and better.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pet peeve: it takes forever for the shrine to finish its animation and then let you dump more coins into it. There’s a weird pause or load after you get your reward.

Also are the daily and weekly quests acting bugged for anyone else? It’s not really tallying my uppercuts or ground attacks or projectiles for example.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I completed the invasion.

Eh. I’m not sure how often I’ll dip into this aspect. I kinda liked 11’s setup better. It’s a nice idea to condense all the towers and seasonal stuff and unlocks into one single mode but it ends up feeling a little too repetitive and long in the tooth. I miss having a krypt to bepop around in and I’d prefer to just be selective about what towers and unlocks I want.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Story mode was incredible

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My feelings so far is that this is not better than 11 but I am still having a lot of fun with it. I think there are some missteps as well as some cool ideas, and it kinda evens out to being solid. The story mode’s production is astounding. The roster and functionality of the characters is definitely novel. The invasions mode is a cool idea but as I elaborated on earlier I think 11 had more enticing single player options. The kameos don’t appeal to me and feel perfunctory but they also don’t make the game a mess so I can take it or leave it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Servers appear to be down for maintenance for the next hour or two. Bummer. Wanted to enjoy some Kombat with my Koffee.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just got an extremely OP talisman that literally makes you fart at your opponent and I swear it will drain their lifebar within seconds if they stand in it.

This game is incredible.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

G-III posted:

Gameplay wise I'm liking this a bit more than MK11, but with story, presentation, and even the character models I like MK11 way more than MK1. MK11 had full on Tagawa supremacy instead of some dude doing a Tagawa impression.

To be fair, it’s a really good impression. I totally buy him as a young version of that guy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kitana too blessed to be stressed about pixel count

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t like that unlockables are pretty much gated behind whatever the current active season is or whatever the shrine farts out that isn’t concept art (it’s always concept art).

I’m just kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next invasion season. 11 was better cus you had a constant supply of new towers that you could see the rewards for plus whatever the krypt gave you for your koins. It was easier to just pop in and grab what you wanted to get.

I’m not even sure what function the rotating towers serve here other than a further means to grind and get a little bit of currency.

This needs better single player legs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Any idea if the achievement for 5,000,000 score in the gateway towers is cumulative or does it have to be done on a single tower? Cus I feel I’ve accumulated that total by now and I don’t really see a viable tower to get that high of a score on.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse posted:

Any idea if the achievement for 5,000,000 score in the gateway towers is cumulative or does it have to be done on a single tower? Cus I feel I’ve accumulated that total by now and I don’t really see a viable tower to get that high of a score on.

I answered this for myself. It has to be done in a single tower. Sounds like the best bet is to find an 8 floor tower, pop a stat doubling consumable, and brutality every match without losing for the score multiplier.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Billy Gnosis posted:

Haven't gotten that far but it's probably Kung Lao Kameo's fatality not Kung Lao main character

Yeah it’s this.

Related: anyone know how to do the klue that’s “flipping out”? I thought maybe it was switching stance a bunch of times, no dice.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse posted:

Yeah it’s this.

Related: anyone know how to do the klue that’s “flipping out”? I thought maybe it was switching stance a bunch of times, no dice.

Oh. It was this. Just need to do it a lot more during the match.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

I started invasions, got to the first thing with a clue, and was deeply confused because while I could unscramble the simple motherfucker easily enough, DESTROY THE WORLD seemed so vague that I didn't understand what the game wanted me to do. Wreck up the stage? There are no interactables! So I looked up the solution, and... oh. I was way overthinking it. Use the move that literally destroys the world, got it. My fault, really.

Also I'm doing so many unintentional Brutalities. I like to throw uppercuts!

This is so weird because the blow up the world fatality makes way more sense as a solution but my stupid rear end interpreted it to mean “destroy the tables and chairs and poo poo in the background” which I did by rolling around as reptile. And it worked, it cleared the path for me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Reiko looks like a huge douchebag lol. I make him wear the Shao Kahn helmet I got for him so I don’t have to see his dorky haircut or face

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just got the high score trophy for the gateway towers. The easy way to do this is to try for a five floor tower with no modifiers, which thankfully spawned in the hourly towers this morning.

If you warp to the first map, the village, and stand on a low level node, and then warp back to the gateway tower, it lowers its level to something trivial like 1 or 3. From there it’s very easy to get flawless rounds and end with a brutality which is the most important part. Should easily put you past the 5 million requirement, I got something like 9 mil.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ashrah is kinda whatever in both story and gameplay imo. Li Mei has the benefit of being fun to play but she’s also very one note and forgettable beyond that

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s been said a lot, including by myself, but I really wish this had better single player legs than the invasion mode. The rotating towers are very bare bones and nondescript compared to 11 and they all reward the same thing, just little piles of currency. Makes grinding out mastery really uninteresting. Invasion itself is alright but too long and then once you beat it you’re just kinda twiddling your thumbs until the next season.

Making unlockables season specific also makes it less enticing to want to try to get stuff because you’ll probably only want certain ones and the rest are like meh.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So are we thinking that for the DLC, Ermac will be (story spoilers) Jerrod or his usual WE ARE MANY schtick

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Big thank you to whoever decided the achievements for this game should be brain dead easy but then also throw in one that’s for mastering 5 kameos.

That and a titan battle is all that’s standing between me and 100%. The kameos level up unbelievably loving slow. Like I might actually not do it, it’s so bad.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So the premium currency store hasn’t updated at all since launch, it’s not just me?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have to wonder how much Covid era cut into this game’s development. Gameplay and story mode are top shelf but the surrounding elements feel very bare bones coming off of 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

lol when I was in Chapter 11 of the story mode instead of displaying the subtitles it was just a code string over when a character was talking. Oops!

Also the game menu is convinced that I still have unlocked fighter and kameo customisation options to look at when nope I have checked them for every character even after finishing story and unlocking the other dude.

Yeah the little dots for “hey there’s new stuff” are bugged. It’s also impossible to get them to go away for the Sonya and Sub Zero kameos.

I also got that subtitle in story that was just “MK12_4748_738” or whatever lol