Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

That's actually a shout-out to this weird direct-to-video animated movie from late last year, Snow Blind. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Earth where the Black Dragon's taken charge and Kenshi's the only one trying to fight them.

The twist at the end is it's set in a timeline where Kano won MK11 and has control of Kronika's Hourglass.

It's really loving bizarre because it isn't well-explained, so if you haven't played MK11, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

McTimmy posted:

Now that Rain is a wizard we can get Hydro in as a ninja.

I love that as lovely as the Malibu MK comics were, everyone just agrees that Hydro was a design worthy of showing up in the actual games. Though Wanderer and I have both wanted to see them bring in Bo, Johnny Cage's gargantuan bodyguard. He was fun.

widespread posted:

Guess someone would be right in saying that Raiden taught Liu Kang how to gently caress up.

I want the ending of MK1 to be an alternate take of MK9 where things go to poo poo and Liu Kang realizes he completely hosed up as Earth's protector god. The difference being that when Shao Kahn's death justifies everything, it's because Shao Kahn pulls off a heroic sacrifice against the true threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

widespread posted:

What if instead, Raiden realizes he might have hosed up in making Liu Kang a god and he goes back to the events of the first game just to blatantly kill Shang Tsung and Goro on the spot.

But since it's MK, that in turn causes a whole other issue to come up somehow. Maybe Shao Kahn just invades Earth outright and kicks aside any notion of tournaments in favor of simply sending it.

Basically:

It should lead to the original MK storyline and ending for Raiden by having it expand into a huge god civil war that destroys the planet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AndyElusive posted:

MK11 let you completely alter Sonya being voice acted by Ronda Rousey and completely change her into Bridgette Wilson circa 1995. So going back in time would erase this and that's lame.

Sonya Blade, I thank you!
For beating the poo poo out of me!
I see things so clearly now!
I choose my destiny!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I would pay triple for LA Park DLC in a Mortal Kombat game.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Considering the JCVD skin, I want there to be a throwaway line where Johnny Cage mentions how this all reminds him of a movie he did where he was an army guy leading a team of martial artists against a terrorist supervillain.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

John Cena as Peacemaker is going to fight Kenshi and I am on the edge of my seat, waiting for him to say the thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

Liu Kang, how did you end up turning tarkatans into an infectious disease?

From the little pieces of lore information, my guess is that it isn't Liu Kang's doing. I don't think he allowed tarkatans to begin with. My theory is that Rain's interest in dark sorcery led to him finding Shang Tsung (who might just be the version from the "Shang wins" Aftermath ending) and becoming his follower. The tarkan disease was something they introduced into the universe just to throw a wrench in what Liu Kang was building.

In the Reiko clip from the panel, it's discussed that Shao Kahn was a loyal and beloved general, but Shang Tsung got in his ear and convinced him to take control.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Some story stuff revealed:

- Scorpion is confirmed as Kuai-Liang. Whether Smoke is still Tomas or changed to Hanzo is now the big question.

- Baraka was a respected merchant in Outworld before contracting the plague. He saw how defeated and hopeless the other Takartans were and decided to dedicate his existence to giving them a better life.

- Tanya had taken a vow of celibacy and her life is in jeopardy because she and Mileena are getting intimate behind everyone's back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Midnighter would be great for MK but i don’t think enough people would know who he is.

If there was ever a comic character who asks for a parry-based moveset, it's him.

Midnighter vs. Geras meet for the first time, but have fought each other thousands of times in their minds.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, one of the underlying things in the MK lore is that the One Being is the force nudging all the big bads into conquering and merging the realms. Shao Kahn, Onaga, and Shinnok are unknowingly pawns to bring the One Being back to life to destroy reality as we know it. This happens in Onaga's unused Deception ending and Shinnok's MKX ending.

As for the Titans, though we never see them identified by name outside of Kronika, we do see a handful of them in Scorpion and Shang Tsung's MK11 endings.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Liu Kang chooses Final Destination, no items.

Your flesh is an item.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1685433610801651712

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Crowetron posted:

That's just Doug.

He's DLC. Very expensive!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently Sareena has been redesigned as a devil woman you'd see in a 1990s music video.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Reptile's redesign is a cool step in what his overall story has been throughout the years.

The first bunch of games have had him as a lowly servant to Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, and Shinnok and also being used as a pawn by Nitara and being the host body for Onaga. He's constantly being treated like poo poo as a henchman.

Then MKX has him in Kotal Kahn's crew and he fits in better. He and Kotal have a genuine respect for each other. He's happier.

So then Liu Kang decides to just have Reptile start off as part of the hero crew. He's better off, accepted, and appreciated.

Unbound posted:

Ashrah is a demon from the Netherrealm (at least originally) and Havik is a cleric of chaos from the Chaosrealm. Both were introduced in Deception, and then other than Armageddon, never really mentioned again.

Well, Havik made a couple ending appearances over the years.

And Ashrah is about to show up in the new animated MK movie.

Rhonne posted:

What's with Johnny's armor and sword in the trailer?

Is he just trying to look cool for the big adventure?

In this reality he collects old warrior stuff, like the sword belonging to Kenshi's ancestors, so I'm sure this is something he dusted off to go on adventures with.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Havik's bio has been released. Instead of being the top guy of Chaosrealm, he's instead a lowly citizen of Seido (Orderrealm) with no rights who starts a revolution due to how oppressive the realm is. He wants the whole world to burn down in chaos.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hogama posted:

As I recall she was purported to have a true demonic appearance but spent all her time disguised in the manner that most games depict her as. Possibly they’d meant to show that sooner but she kept just missing the roster for main series entries after Mythologies up until Armageddon.

Yeah. Her bio for MK Tournament Edition (the GBA port of Deadly Alliance that had a tag mode and had Sareena as an exclusive) explained that her human-like appearance was caused by Quan Chi's magic. When she escaped into Outworld, she realized she could retain that form by feeding off of the realm's aura. Then in her Armageddon bio, she and Sub-Zero fought side-by-side and Sub-Zero got knocked out. The fight was so taxing that Sareena reverted back into her true form, so that when Sub-Zero came to, he freaked out and attacked her.

Since Sareena's only appearances since then have been a quick spot in MKX's story mode and a confusing cameo in Kabal's MK11 ending, they never got around to showing this visually.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Diabetic posted:

Legitimately, is there any one in MK that isn't a colossal gently caress up?

Only one that comes to mind is Shao Khan who spent roughly 10,000 years ruling Edenia/Outworld with no issues.

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup. I want to say Goro never really screwed up. He just lost fights. Probably his biggest offense is the MKX prequel comic, where he killed Kotal Kahn's dad as a way to piss Kotal off, figuring it would make him erratic and sloppy, only for Kotal to completely wreck Goro's poo poo and remove his arms.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero's biggest offense is, what, training a woman who was too power-hungry for her own good and self-destructed on herself?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup.

At the very least, here's every MK character's biggest fuckup from those who appeared in MK1-4.

Goro: Broke Johnny Cage’s glasses and killed Kotal Kahn’s dad, which both ended with him getting his rear end kicked harder than he would have.

Johnny Cage: Is just a total douche at times (most notably Young Johnny loudly bragging about how he was going to gently caress Sonya while Young Sonya, Cassandra, and the rest of the Special Forces were in earshot), but he at least learns from his mistakes.

Kano: Helped Sonya figure out how to kill him and his younger self. Gave Kabal superpowers despite Kabal being a police officer at the time. His MK3 ending where he tried stealing Shao Kahn’s souls despite having zero experience and died a horrible death from it.

Liu Kang: Has created a utopian timeline that, shockingly, does not seem to be holding together very well.

Raiden: Blew up the planet. Did a terrible job at relaying a message to his younger self. Got nearly everyone killed. Accidentally killed Liu Kang.

Reptile: Kept being a lackey for overlords who obviously didn’t intend to help him out in any way. Especially the guy who is MK’s version of Satan.

Scorpion: Spent years following the word of the trickster sorcerer who killed his family and clan. Was given good reason to not kill Sub-Zero, but did it anyway.

Shang Tsung: Tries using his morph powers when Baraka is nearby despite Baraka being able to smell the difference. Also Mileena’s MK9 ending where Shang programmed her to be so bloodthirsty that she’d kill Shao Kahn, not realizing that she’d obviously go after him next.

Sonya Blade: Trusted Kano for presumably years before realizing he was the head of the Black Dragon. Also was married to Johnny Cage and was somehow the one who hosed it all up.

Bi-Han Sub-Zero: Nearly caused the apocalypse. After fixing his screw-up, he was told that he would burn in Hell unless he left the Lin Kuei. Remained with the Lin Kuei anyway, then immediately died and went to Hell.

Baraka: Fumbled the ball on Mileena.

Jade: Succeeded in fooling the heroes in Annihilation, only to lure them into a trap that absolutely did not work. Was eaten by a bad CGI gargoyle for her failure.

Jax: Sided with Kronika due to the PTSD blues.

Kintaro: Is barely a character and never did anything of note other than fry Kabal alive.

Kitana: Refused to fully kill Shao Kahn when she had the chance.

Kung Lao: Was too busy celebrating to notice a giant barbarian king sneak up from behind him.

Mileena: Despite being half-Tarkatan, she literally can’t tell them apart and failed at killing Baraka because of it. Also, in attempting to take over Outworld, she teamed up with so many backstabbing characters.

Shao Kahn: Stepped over the line when it came to the rules of Mortal Kombat so blatantly that the Elder Gods had his soul destroyed.

Smoke: Stopped having beautiful anime hair.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero: Accidentally unleashed the Phantom Zone in his Injustice 2 ending. Probably the only guest character in an NRS game to have a bad ending.

Chameleon: Was never given any kind of identity.

Cyrax: Betrayed the Lin Kuei and decided to just handle that on his own. Not to mention the whole desert thing.

Ermac: Got lured into a trap that caused him to be chewed up by a returning Shang Tsung. Also is partially King Jerrod who... *gestures towards Sindel and Shao Kahn*

Kabal: Tricked by Kano into thinking that Sonya was going to be the one to turn him into MK Wade Wilson.

Khamelon: Couldn’t even convince Reptile to turn against Shao Kahn by telling him, “He literally genocided our people! Come on!”

Motaro: Lost a fight to Regular Jax in Annihilation. That’s just embarrassing.

Nightwolf: Made sure to send Freddy Krueger back into the Dream World, dooming so many teenagers.

Rain: Probably should have known better than get involved with Tanya.

Sektor: Willingly gave away his ability to eat Pringles.

Sheeva: Had a plan to ambush Shao Kahn that was built entirely on trusting Kano. That’s how they killed her off the first time around. Also, I imagine she probably pops out of that outfit like a dozen times a day.

Sindel: Saw Shang Tsung wearing a crown that made him strong enough to fight Titans and decided, “Yes, this guy is absolutely doing my bidding.” Plus the absolute worst line delivery in Annihilation.

Stryker: Somehow made Ron Perlman uncool.

Fujin: For somebody who seems to care a lot about humanity, he sure was absent a lot during times when we needed him.

Quan Chi: Tempted fate by using Scorpion as a henchman despite it being only a matter of time before he realized what Quan Chi did to his family and clan. It was a miracle Scorpion never outright asked him why his own killer was Quan Chi’s other enforcer.

Sareena: Probably should have told Sub-Zero about her true demon form so he didn’t suddenly freak out.

Shinnok: Spent the entirety of MK4 with Quan Chi holding the cards and had zero clue.

Jarek: Ran at Sonya at full speed while on a cliff.

Kai: Too boring to have screwed anything up.

Meat: Ruins all the sofas.

Reiko: Spends the MKX prequel comic trying to be the big villain, only to immediately get exploded by true villain Havik.

Tanya: Was once defeated by having Jade throw Tarkatan spunk onto her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Where does Sonya trusting/not recognizing Kano kome from?

MK9. Sonya explains to Johnny that for years they were trying to track down the Black Dragon and Kano was their informant. Despite losing a crazy amount of soldiers to ambushes, it took a while to realize that Kano was playing them and was actually the group's leader.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

An image of the back of the Brazilian box art for MK1 has been released. The interesting thing is how there's a single-player mode called Invasion. "Travel through the realms of Mortal Kombat facing invasions of each season in an all new single player experience."

Hopefully we get some kind of explanation on Thursday's Kombat Kast.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

I saw a video the other day of some of the intro dialogue, and one of Johnny Cage's intros mentions that his mom is a cop. Was that a thing before? Because now I have this wild idea that this Johnny is actually Johnny Cage Jr. and the old Johnny and Sonya are his parents, and that's why Sonya isn't in this game. Am I crazy?

Weirdly, the only mention of Johnny Cage's family is from the old profiles from the first MK. They're kind of a trip to look at 30 years later because they try to make Raiden, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion all mysterious, only for the games to explain or contradict them. Like how Raiden and Sub-Zero are listed as having no relatives.

At the same time, they list the families of Liu, Johnny, and Sonya. Johnny's parents are Robert and Rose Carlton and his sister is Rebecca. He also has an ex-wife named Cindy Ford. None of that has ever been referenced anywhere else. Similarly, Liu Kang has a brother whose whereabouts are unknown (I wonder if that was the original concept for Kung Lao) and Sonya had a twin brother who died.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's also Johnny's self-proclaimed brother Jimmy Cage, shown only in Federation of Martial Arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZ_pfez9fw

Might I remind you that this was an official Mortal Kombat thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

Now that you mention it, there's an intro between Johnny and Cassie in MK11 where Cassie mentions "Grandma Carleton" told her a really embarrassing story about Johnny as a kid.

He peed his pants ONCE! ONCE!!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Buschmaki posted:

Kage is the guy from virtua fighter

And the guy that Ryu pooped out in Street Fighter V.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PostNouveau posted:

Obviously Liu Kang will be the bad guy

A lot of people seem to think that Onaga is the big villain.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

pretty soft girl posted:

I remember when the first time anyone had seen Smoke in MK9 was a camcorder-pointed-at-tv 240p youtube video by someone who grabbed a street broken copy a few days before release

I kinda miss that too

I remember when they released a demo version of MK9 with four playable characters, people were able to datamine it and find the entire story mode script.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Johnny Cage's Fatal Blow just makes me so happy. If you want to stop Johnny from dancing like an idiot, then it's your rear end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Who does that leave?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

amigolupus posted:

Is this the first time we saw Shao Kahn without the helmet? Didn't realize he had horns similar-ish to Motaro.

He's always looked like a cross between a human and a dragon under the helmet. This is the first time he's had horns.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

General Shao's bio is amazing and hilarious because Liu Kang's strategy to add nobility to Shao Kahn is to give him Steve Rogers' origin and turn him into Captain Outworld.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

The match intro dialogue between him and Kitana is pretty flirty. He also asks Liu Kang if he "hooked up with someone else last time around".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VwkaCMB9gg

It makes me wonder if Liu Kang simply shipped them because he wants Kitana to be happy, but knows he can't be there for her. That's what his MK11 ending boiled down to. So he sets her up with a guy he trusts and puts Johnny in a relationship that's a lot less dysfunctional.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mover posted:

It would be extremely funny if there’s an establishing shot of Earthrealm where they’re in NYC and the towers are very prominently in the background

Liu Kang killed Kermit the Frog?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I love that Liu Kang goes out of his way to find better, more fulfilling existences for monsters like Shao Kahn, Mileena, Bi-Han, Rain, Reptile, etc. but proceeds to redesign Shang Tsung's life for the sake of humiliating him and making his existence poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PostNouveau posted:

I want the ancestor Kung Lao that current day Kung Lao will never shut the gently caress up about. Let's see him. He better be as good as advertised.

Well, he did have his own TV show where he teamed up with the lady Terminator and the star of MST3K's Future War.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

drat, what does Liu Kang have against Hanzo? Giving his name, powers, AND wife to Sub-Zero is hosed up.

Scorpion's MK11 ending showed that his family is doomed no matter what timeline due to the machinations of the Titans, which causes him to go full on God of War. Liu Kang probably figured the best solution is to simply remove the family aspect from Harumi. If she isn't Hanzo's wife, then maybe she stands a chance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's been speculation that Onaga is the big bad for a while, but with General Shao's giant horns and references here and there to the importance of his father, the big theory is that Onaga is Shao's dad in this reality.

As for the return of Kronika, there's apparently a leak referring to her as "Damashi." That's the name that Onaga used when sending Shujinko on his quest.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

G-III posted:

Not sure why keep the MK tournament system in place at all but hopefully there's some level of explanation besides God Liu Kang is a dumb dumb who couldn't think of a better way so he just defaulted to what he knew.

I figure it's just like an Olympics thing that's supposed to be a good-natured (albeit violent because Outworld) meeting of cultures.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

A nice Easter egg I noticed from looking at Invasion Mode footage is that Johnny Cage has his own personal movie theater in his mansion with the marquee promoting "FINAL WISH 2" and "HIDDEN CRIMES." These are the same movies showing in the Streets of Gotham stage in Injustice 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Evil Canadian posted:

Edenia/Edenians is now native to outworld as of the new era.

Now why thats a thing, who knows. I asked Stephanie(aka 16 bit, NRS employee) to her face and she super dodged the question.

My theory: if Edenia is already merged with Outworld, then Shao can't conquer it and gently caress up the royal family dynamic. Sindel can't betray Jerrod. With Jerrod dead via a different cause, Shao and Sindel can eventually end up together without turning it into a violent conquest thing.