Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My boy Reptile looks cool but also lol Stryker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Not sure if this means anything to you, but to me, this means the game is gonna own

https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1687548834271150080

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Crowetron posted:

My boy Reptile looks cool but also lol Stryker

Stryer looks awesome and they just owned the MK3 design which is great

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like how, at least at the start of the story, all the OG ninjas are good guys now. Sub-Zero seems like the only one who might turn at this point. Ermac might be evil when his dlc drops, unless they bring back the "Ermac is Jerrod" plot from MK9.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright so we get human Reptile and Turok enemy Reptile, everyone wins

Unpopular opinion: Ashrah needs her hat back and Havik should have his skull face. They both look more generic now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

man nurse posted:

Alright so we get human Reptile and Turok enemy Reptile, everyone wins

Unpopular opinion: Ashrah needs her hat back and Havik should have his skull face. They both look more generic now.

I mean, he's still sorta skull-like:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
his mouth is just muscle instead of bone now..

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who is everyone besides reptile?

Not really a fair evaluation seeing I watched it on my phone but the sfx seem very bad.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

codo27 posted:

Not really a fair evaluation seeing I watched it on my phone but the sfx seem very bad.

Ashrah and Havik from the PS2 era. Also kameos Stryker and a devil lady?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I liked Havik as more of a completely hosed up lich, so I also don't vibe with the more human look. Making Ashrah more demonic in appearance makes sense, but yeah, give her the hat and veil back dangit.

Also I noticed that in Ashrah's reveal, they're fighting in a more tranquil-looking Living Forest, but when they reveal Havik, they're fighting in what looks like an alternate version of Living Forest, where everything's way more hosed up. I wonder if we're gonna be getting alternate versions of other stages, or maybe stages that phase back and forth between realities.

codo27 posted:

Ashrah and Havik are from MK Deception. Ashrah's a demon who began earning salvation by killing other demons. Havik has popped up since, in some different endings in the last game or two. He's a cleric from Chaosrealm who just wants to spread disorder across the universe.

The person fighting alongside him is Sareena, who first showed up in MK Mythologies. She was a member of Shinnok's Brotherhood of Shadow who switched sides to help Sub-Zero defeat Shinnok, and she was killed for it. She's popped up on occasion as "Oh right, this person's kind of a character) in things like a lovely GBA port of an MK game, MK Armageddon, and in a cutscene in MKX or MK11, I can't remember.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

codo27 posted:

Ashrah is a demon from the Netherrealm (at least originally) and Havik is a cleric of chaos from the Chaosrealm. Both were introduced in Deception, and then other than Armageddon, never really mentioned again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What's with Johnny's armor and sword in the trailer?

Is he just trying to look cool for the big adventure?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rhonne posted:

Either that or they're doing something pretty dumb with Kenshi.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jamesman posted:

I liked Havik as more of a completely hosed up lich, so I also don't vibe with the more human look. Making Ashrah more demonic in appearance makes sense, but yeah, give her the hat and veil back dangit.

Also I noticed that in Ashrah's reveal, they're fighting in a more tranquil-looking Living Forest, but when they reveal Havik, they're fighting in what looks like an alternate version of Living Forest, where everything's way more hosed up. I wonder if we're gonna be getting alternate versions of other stages, or maybe stages that phase back and forth between realities.

Ashrah and Havik are from MK Deception. Ashrah's a demon who began earning salvation by killing other demons. Havik has popped up since, in some different endings in the last game or two. He's a cleric from Chaosrealm who just wants to spread disorder across the universe.

The person fighting alongside him is Sareena, who first showed up in MK Mythologies. She was a member of Shinnok's Brotherhood of Shadow who switched sides to help Sub-Zero defeat Shinnok, and she was killed for it. She's popped up on occasion as "Oh right, this person's kind of a character) in things like a lovely GBA port of an MK game, MK Armageddon, and in a cutscene in MKX or MK11, I can't remember.

Bring back yin yang island, aka the best stage from deception.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

widespread posted:

Either that or they're doing something pretty dumb with Kenshi.

Kenshi is right there next to him in that shot. You can see his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rhonne posted:

Kenshi is right there next to him in that shot. You can see his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

Oh. Right. Maybe a disguise for Johnny Cage since in some other shots he's wearing other weird armor. I dunno.

Guess we'll see September 19th.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Making Ashrah more demonic in appearance makes sense, but yeah, give her the hat and veil back dangit.

They should have just copied her super 80s look from that new Johnny Cage movie.

EDIT: Actually, it's appears Ashrah has her hat in another shot

Guess it'll be an alt costume.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 7, 2023

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Johnny changes his outfit a lot in these trailers.

Rhonne posted:

They should have just copied her super 80s look from that new Johnny Cage movie.

Hopefully as an alt costume.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Reptile's redesign is a cool step in what his overall story has been throughout the years.

The first bunch of games have had him as a lowly servant to Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, and Shinnok and also being used as a pawn by Nitara and being the host body for Onaga. He's constantly being treated like poo poo as a henchman.

Then MKX has him in Kotal Kahn's crew and he fits in better. He and Kotal have a genuine respect for each other. He's happier.

So then Liu Kang decides to just have Reptile start off as part of the hero crew. He's better off, accepted, and appreciated.

Unbound posted:

Ashrah is a demon from the Netherrealm (at least originally) and Havik is a cleric of chaos from the Chaosrealm. Both were introduced in Deception, and then other than Armageddon, never really mentioned again.

Well, Havik made a couple ending appearances over the years.

And Ashrah is about to show up in the new animated MK movie.

Rhonne posted:

In this reality he collects old warrior stuff, like the sword belonging to Kenshi's ancestors, so I'm sure this is something he dusted off to go on adventures with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Apparently Sareena has been redesigned as a devil woman you'd see in a 1990s music video.

Her friendship is painting herself on the side of a van.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I also wonder if they'll have more than two fatalities per character

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

So then Liu Kang decides to just have Reptile start off as part of the hero crew. He's better off, accepted, and appreciated.

Johnny seems super impressed by his abilities, I hope they become buddies and he tries to get Reptile to appear in his movies.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Oh_no_hes_hot.jpg

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'm glad there are less robots/cyborgs now.

Big same, my favorite roster of all time is 9 but this game might win out by replacing some of that game's chaff with surprisingly good reinterpretations of 3d era jobbers and losers who seem to fit the tone of this game much better than if they tried to cram a robot into it

I dont mind seeing them on the kameo side of the roster and if they show up as main roster DLC later to make Ketchup and Mustard happy then that's cool, but not having to jam cyborgs into this game's setting and story has me pretty thrilled. Same with Kano and Sonya on main roster, since it's looking more and more like they might not be showing up- those two have been way overdue to sit out a game even if Kano is usually good for a laugh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the cyborgs are perfect Kameos because they have cool little moves and power ranger outfits but they are in no way interesting enough to be central characters. Just need a complete revival for shitzombie Drahmin now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YES! HAVIK!! CHAOSRELM IS BACK!!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They're killing it on these designs, very simple but effective makes me think of the flavor of MK1 and MK2 which were my favorites.

Reptile especially looks so good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If Reptile’s EX ball doesn’t either double bounce or corner carry I’m gonna be very sad

Also I’m betting Johnny’s suit is some kind of timeline jumping thing because Kenshi is in one too at the start of the trailer

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Sort of making Reptile a big-body-boy was unexpected but I think I like it.

The guy can't catch a break, though. He went from being the only remaining member of his race to being outcast from his people for being a fleshy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wonder if Hotaru will show up if Havvik is in.

There is a lot of dumb stuff in MK lore but I think the dumbest is Orderrealm and Chaosrealm

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Suspicious Cook posted:

Sort of making Reptile a big-body-boy was unexpected but I think I like it.

The guy can't catch a break, though. He went from being the only remaining member of his race to being outcast from his people for being a fleshy.

"The whole humansona thing is kinda cringe bro"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Turns out no place in reptile town would hire him due to the facial tattoos.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

oswald ownenstein posted:

Stryer looks awesome and they just owned the MK3 design which is great

It even sounds like they made an effort to give him an MK3 style voice with the kind of pinched-throat "HuH!"-s.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yeah this is what I was waiting for and now I can begin to get hyped. This version of Reptile is just *chefkiss* with how he swaps between his natural form and his human form for some of his moves looks so seamless, very impressive.

I'm happy Havik's there being Havik but I'm not sure I'm ready for the level of body horror he's going to bring at this level of graphical fidelity. I hope that I can stomach it when the game drops.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Orv posted:

Also I’m betting Johnny’s suit is some kind of timeline jumping thing because Kenshi is in one too at the start of the trailer

I thought it was fairly obvious from context that Johnny and Kenshi are keeping a low profile on some kind of Outworld infiltration op.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was fairly obvious from context that Johnny and Kenshi are keeping a low profile on some kind of Outworld infiltration op.

Yeah but that’s also way too straightforward for MK it’s gotta be something dumber

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I like the low grab/chomp that Reptile does, with the alligator roll animation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Orv posted:

Yeah but that’s also way too straightforward for MK it’s gotta be something dumber

I'd argue that MK, particularly post-MK9, is crazy, but not stupid.

While there are a lot of really goofy elements of the world, like how MKX involved Sub-Zero having to very seriously use the phrase "cyber-ninjas" more than once, the characters in it tend to act with reasonable care and intelligence in their respective situations.

There are a couple of obvious exceptions, like that one bit in Jax's MK9 chapter where he takes time out during a dangerous situation to beat the living poo poo out of Johnny for a while, but MK is about as intelligent as it can be for the kind of story it's telling.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I'd argue that MK, particularly post-MK9, is crazy, but not stupid.

While there are a lot of really goofy elements of the world, like how MKX involved Sub-Zero having to very seriously use the phrase "cyber-ninjas" more than once, the characters in it tend to act with reasonable care and intelligence in their respective situations.

There are a couple of obvious exceptions, like that one bit in Jax's MK9 chapter where he takes time out during a dangerous situation to beat the living poo poo out of Johnny for a while, but MK is about as intelligent as it can be for the kind of story it's telling.

My argument for you is that dumb and stupid are two different things in storytelling. Demolition Man is dumb and thus fun. Time Cop is stupid and so fun but also stupid.

Yes this is a theory entirely predicated on B action movies

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like that Havik doesn't just look like Dollar Store Skeletor now.

And I can already tell the best kombo will be Peacemaker and Stryker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ashrah: I have learnt to control my demon heritage by purging almost all evil from my soul.

Lui Kang: So you don't respond to conflict by inflicting violence on others.

Ashrah: No.

Lui Kang: So while you will use force when necessary, you won't resort to the overwhelming fatalities that other seems to use.

Ashrah: No.

Lui Kang: Then what evil have you banished.

Ashrah: *chuckles* Oh you know. That sort.