Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Hello YOSPOS, if dead comedy forums are not dead and obsolete enough for you, then you should take a look at Gopher, an early competitor/predecessor of the web. It's kind of an extremely primitive variant of HTTP/HTML (except not really). Browsing Gopherspace is a lot like browsing early pure-text web pages. There's hyperlinks but not much else.

Is Gopher better than the web? Technically not really, although the protocol is much simpler. You can implement a client in thirty lines of code. Gopherspace is fun because there is no commercial activity and everyone who posts there there is a huge nerd with nerd interests, and it's mostly text about nerd things.

How do I access Gopherspace? lynx, which nerds mostly know as that funny text browser is actually a pretty capable Gopher client. Just point at any Gopher hole and have fun. Newer clients include sacc and elpher. There may also be some GUI clients, but what is the point? There is also a gopher-web gateway here if you are not brave enough to install software: https://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw

Where do I go in Gopherspace? One of the fun things about Gopherspace is that the search engines are not very good, so you find stuff by browsing and following links. It's like the pre-Google web, except it's not as annoying as it was back then, because you don't have a deadline and you're just browsing for fun. Here are some good places to start:

gopher://floodgap.com/1/new (newest-first list of Gopher servers)

gopher://arcanesciences.com/1/ (someone with strong Itanium opinions)

gopher://bitreich.org/1 (community/cult that pushes Gopher really hard for some reason)

How do I publish in Gopherspace? Put up a server somewhere. I like the one called geomyidae but any will work.

Please share your own cool gopher holes and resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"gopher" sounds like the name of another twitter replacement wannbe that nobody will use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I did not read the op but I appreciate this thread exists

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweevo posted:

"gopher" sounds like the name of another twitter replacement wannbe that nobody will use

you're right in that nobody used it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

when i was in 8th grade, i used veronica to search gopher for facts about lasers because i was doing a report on them for science class.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Elder Postsman posted:

when i was in 8th grade, i used veronica to search gopher for facts about lasers because i was doing a report on them for science class.

You should do that again and tell us what is new in lasers since then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

when i read the title of the thread i thought for sure this was gonna be a rotor thread.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Isn't gophers what go devs call themselves? more like gophuk yourself

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Mr. Nice! posted:

when i read the title of the thread i thought for sure this was gonna be a rotor thread.

He is very very welcome.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I always thought it'd be fun to write a VMRL gopher client but unsurprisingly someone beat me to it https://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?=gopher.floodgap.com+70+312f676f706865727672

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Athas posted:

He is very very welcome.

are you bloodmane

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

anyway,

Cat Face Joe posted:

a million years ago, my mom announced that she had signed the two of us up for "how to search the internet" classes at the library cause she felt like she better "get on board" and it was all gopher protocol stuff for some reason. this was before google but after yahoo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

how can i get my javascript stuff served up and working on this junk? i can’t publish without bootstrap

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

fart simpson posted:

how can i get my javascript stuff served up and working on this junk? i can’t publish without bootstrap

I don't know about that, but the state-of-the-art in user monitoring is to kindly ask your visitors to send you an email listing their favourite brands and hobbies.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

a few years back i made a gopher version of my company’s website, using our internal apis, as a joke

it was fun and pure and enjoyable the way building for the web hasn’t been for me in a decade or more

most of our employees were too young to get it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no gophers here op but I did see a couple prairie dogs today

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

aaaaaaaaaaa

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

well-read undead posted:

a few years back i made a gopher version of my company’s website, using our internal apis, as a joke

it was fun and pure and enjoyable the way building for the web hasn’t been for me in a decade or more

most of our employees were too young to get it

Sounds fun!

One of my friends works at a company where the corporate firewall does not allow them to access Gopher. To give him an argument for why they should the Gopher port, I made a page that would be relevant to his work, where they use OCaml: gopher://sigkill.dk/1/ocaml

Sadly, when he opened a ticket asking for the Gopher port to be opened and pointing to this page as a work-related justification, they just pointed him at the Floodgap proxy. :(

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
obviously i am a big fan of retro/low power/appropriate technology

gopher is neat! someone posted a thing about how WAP should have just been gopher, which i thought was insightful.

having that kind of reduced interaction ability means your input can just be a d-pad, which is great.

But generally its an older protocol that doesnt take a lot of modern things like privacy and security very seriously. You probably already know about Gemini https://gemini.circumlunar.space/ which I think is a great pattern for reviving old technologies - we want the stripped down, ad-free environment with simple interaction, but also with reasonably modern protocols where we dont have to care about weirdo binary wire formats and decades-old security holes.

rotor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 9, 2023

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gopher could never have succeeded as a mainstream protocol because the incredibly easy “gopher deez nuts” is simply too devastating

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

gopher could never have succeeded as a mainstream protocol because the incredibly easy “gopher deez nuts” is simply too devastating

this is of course true and with the benefits of hindsight its easy to see this now, but back in the 90s this wasnt at all clear.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i could gopher a drink after clicking this thread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

polyester concept posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

polyester concept posted:

Good news: gopher://mozz.us:7003/1/

It's actually much more pleasant to use than any web cocktail site.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

has anyone said gopher deez nuts yet?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

has anyone said gopher deez nuts yet?

not one person

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gopher and gemini are cool ideas but i've never really found any decent sites on them

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

bill murray was good in that movie

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

gas

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Achmed Jones posted:

gopher and gemini are cool ideas but i've never really found any decent sites on them

You could make your own. geomyidae requires very few resources. If you are a plang person, here is a way to do that too: gopher://mozz.us:7005/1/

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
one of these days i'll come up with a project that uses gopher and/or gemini. love the idea of the internet without http, i just struggle to find motivation to actually write something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like internet without ads.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Well you can have ads on Gopher, but it will just be some text telling you to buy some gizmo.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

im going to rewrite it in rust, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

I like internet without ads.

ads are aids

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Another important resource. The Gopher times: gopher://bitreich.org/1/tgtimes

I think a new issue will come out soon, to which I contributed an article.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Dijkstracula posted:

I always thought it'd be fun to write a VMRL gopher client but unsurprisingly someone beat me to it https://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?=gopher.floodgap.com+70+312f676f706865727672

JESUS WEPT!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

DaTroof posted:

JESUS WEPT!

you should reboot your graphical mud as a VRML/gopher exploration space :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Dijkstracula posted:

you should reboot your graphical mud as a VRML/gopher exploration space :q: