Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
brb gonna work on my gopherhole IYKWIM :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

why don't you gopher a walk out of yospos

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

nvrgrls posted:

why don't you gopher a walk out of yospos

do you still gopher a good dj mix

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
spun up a gophernicus server this weekend and spent a little time today farting around with it, it's pretty cool and really not that hard to setup

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

HamAdams posted:

spun up a gophernicus server this weekend and spent a little time today farting around with it, it's pretty cool and really not that hard to setup

why don't you gophernicus self

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=388195

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1611668

the duality of man

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Let us hope 2024 will be the year of Gopher in the browser.

It is true that Gopherspace is growing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jopher

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
A slide from the recent brcon23, demonstrating the growth or decline of Gopherspace:

pre:
## Veronica Statistics

2017: 133 gopher servers, 4.9 mio. unique selectors
2018: 260 gopher servers, 3.7 mio. unique selectors
2019: 320 gopher servers, 4.2 mio. unique selectors
2020: 395 gopher servers, 4.5 mio. unique selectors
2021: 361 gopher servers, 6.0 mio. unique selectors
2022: 325 gopher servers, 5.0 mio. unique selectors
2023: 319 gopher servers, 5.1 mio. unique selectors 

Servers were lost, but selectors is growing again!

A huge difference to 2017, when we started!
Gopherspace is surprisingly volatile. A very dynamic part of the Internet for sure.

Athas fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 22, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

because of this thread I wrote a gopher server for linux

it uses some fast stuff that didn't exist in the early 90s like epoll and sendfile and port reuse and tcp corking and supports forking into any number of worker processes

I was thinking of going even further and using the cutting edge io_uring stuff to make the fastest gopher server possible

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

BattleMaster posted:

because of this thread I wrote a gopher server for linux

it uses some fast stuff that didn't exist in the early 90s like epoll and sendfile and port reuse and tcp corking and supports forking into any number of worker processes

I was thinking of going even further and using the cutting edge io_uring stuff to make the fastest gopher server possible

Excellent! Is it available somewhere?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think the gemini project faq is a good read. As much as I do love old technology, old protocols do have flaws - usually around security and privacy - and I think its important to acknowledge that and create new, modern protocols that at the same time retain as much simplicity as possible given the modern environments.

https://geminiprotocol.net/docs/faq-section-1.gmi

like you've all heard me talk up usenet, and I still think its great, but it has some fuckin issues that it just didnt have back in the early 90s. Spam is endemic and there's no good way to fix it and its largely turned usenet into just a weird file transfer mechanism. I think a modern version of nntp is sorely needed, just like gemini is a modern gopher and its one of the few things about computers i really think about much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Athas posted:

Excellent! Is it available somewhere?

I'll share it when I have a chance to make sure it isn't totally embarrassing and also configurable since it's kind of sub-minimum-viable-product right now - but I do believe it conforms to the RFC at least

it doesn't support CGI or automatically-generated directory listings and I guess I need to figure out how much I care about those things at some point

edit: leaning toward not doing those things, CGI feels like it's against the spirit of gopher and directory listing gopher menus can be generated by scripts that run periodically if they're desired

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 8, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think i still have a gopherhole somewhere. haven't updated it in years though

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

hbag posted:

i think i still have a gopherhole somewhere. haven't updated it in years though

let’s try to keep this thread sfw, thanks

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

rotor posted:

i think the gemini project faq is a good read. As much as I do love old technology, old protocols do have flaws - usually around security and privacy - and I think its important to acknowledge that and create new, modern protocols that at the same time retain as much simplicity as possible given the modern environments.

I think that is missing the point. Don't put medical data on Gopher and don't expect your bank to make a Gopher interface. I don't mind gophers (the encrypted version), but for me gopher is a way to LARP a simpler internet where all that complexity is not needed. I don't need everything to be on Gopher, I just need to have nerd fun on Gopher, and I don't need complex security and privacy for that.

Gemini is fine, but there is less stuff on Gemini, so I have not investigated it much. Although I noticed that my favourite Gopher client does support it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah, integrity (and confidentiality) of traffic is pretty crucial even to throw-away silly data. if you think tls is only needed for banking and medical data, that reflects more on your understanding of what that technology provides than on the one of 35 years ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably most importantly pretty good to be clear on whether this is all a funny tech joke that should absolutely not be used in any context where the word "use" is appropriate, or a real thing.

because for anything even approaching use defaulting to an implementation done by one guy gleefully applying every available low-level trick available turns from fun and cool to real bad quick.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Achmed Jones posted:

nah, integrity (and confidentiality) of traffic is pretty crucial even to throw-away silly data. if you think tls is only needed for banking and medical data, that reflects more on your understanding of what that technology provides than on the one of 35 years ago.

It's not very important to anything I use it for :shrug:

For me Gopher is not a tech joke, but it is a tech I use when I don't want to worry about all the complex stuff of modern real world protocols.

Athas fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Athas posted:

I think that is missing the point. Don't put medical data on Gopher and don't expect your bank to make a Gopher interface. I don't mind gophers (the encrypted version), but for me gopher is a way to LARP a simpler internet where all that complexity is not needed. I don't need everything to be on Gopher, I just need to have nerd fun on Gopher, and I don't need complex security and privacy for that.

I know the faq is long but if youre interested in low-power/appropriate technologies you should give it a read, esp the parts where they justify their tech decisions and their philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tl;dr is that its less about someone stealing your bus pass and more about surveillance and hijacked content