Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Okay, it looks like with the exception of a couple of notable free agents (Tarasenko, Tatar) and a couple of notable players who may or may not be dealt (Karlsson, DeBrincat) soon, teams have set their off-season visions in motion for the upcoming season. Things are about to slow down as we anticipate the start of next season. This means we get to do another fantasy draft. This is going to be for the current league, not for all-time. To quote from earlier versions:

quote:

Here are the rules as posted before: The draft order will snake and be randomly chosen. We use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of picks and you can make your own pages in there to show devotion to your fake teams if you so desire. As with all pursuits that combine nerdery and sports, this requires some time investment and as the game goes on, perhaps some research to find players to fit your drafting plan; expect to spend a month or two with your good buddies in this thread. Despite the serious element, this is all about fun (and escaping the miserable emptiness of the hockey offseason). We will do our best to discuss picks and explain what we are doing and it would be cool if some other folks would do the same. We will post obscure advanced metrics to support our reaches and videos to support our vague feels.

RULES

1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team. For instance, you can draft recently drafted guys like Connor Bedard. This rule seems to have always had a lot of leeway, with people drafting UFAs and various unsigned players. I think it makes sense to do it as, they must have been the property of an NHL team, played the past season in the NHL, or are in the process of coming to the NHL (i.e. like if Jagr tries to come back again).

2. The salary cap for 2021-2022 is $83.5 million. The cap floor is $61.7 million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you. As the draft gets into the later rounds, we have traditionally sped up the timer to put finishes touches on our teams with depth guys.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches can be literally anyone.

Note: If someone can set up a Google sheet, that would be awesome, I'm not good at that stuff.

Everyone claim your teams. Teams can be any team in NHL history.

I will start with the Hartford Whalers.

GM's

1. Hartford Whalers: fawning deference
2. Toronto Arenas: eXXon
3. Montreal Canadiens: stab
4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Furnaceface
5. Seattle Kraken: VOTE1
6. Montreal Wanderers: kalensc
7. Philadelphia Flyers: mentholmoose
8. St. Louis Blues: Duckman2008
9. Vancouver Canucks: JawKnee
10. Cleveland Barons: T-Bone
11. Atlanta Thrashers: WeaponX
12. Florida Everblades: El Gallinero Gros
13. Quebec Bulldogs: Jordan7hm
14. California Golden Seals: Ginette Reno

18 teams left.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'll take the most :effort: team, the Toronto Arenas.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Gimme the Habs like always so i draft exactly who the fanbase doesnt want

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ive had to miss the last few of these because of work/covid, I think its about time I came back to ruin another franchises future. One I havnt done before.

Gimme the Columbus "Cannon" Blue Jackets.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m in as Seattle Kraken.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Sign me up as the Montreal Wanderers, merci

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright I am back and will take the Flyers why not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’m in , St Louis Blues

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I still need someone to volunteer to handle the Google sheet since I am not good with that...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'll play. Give me the Canucks if available

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'll take the Cleveland Barons

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gimme the Atlanta Thrashers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I shall be The Florida Everblades

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m in again, this time as the Quebec Bulldogs.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cool, 19 teams left.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll do the California Golden Seals

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Could be fun to maybe do some other stipulations if we've got sub 20 drafters. Do a 32 player draft with a prospect system and one player from each NHL team or something.

But that's me, the guy who likes talking and arguing about prospects (so it would be 23 man roster, 9 prospects, one player per NHL team).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I would be pretty down for that. That can make things interesting and basically have no rounds of "filler depth guy" stuff.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Would any guy on a two way/unsigned count towards your prospects? Or would you have to designate as you picked?

Like, I take Bedard, he's a roster guy though. Or I could be sneaky and count him as a prospect (not that you'd necessarily want to?)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Regular next year = roster player.

I would probably say it's on the GM to identify that line. If you draft Bedard and want to play him next year as a regular, that would be a roster player. If you want to develop him for at least the next season outside of the NHL, it's a prospect. For someone like Michkov who has a contract in the KHL for another couple of years and can't come be a regular in 2023-24, prospect. Other players could be drafted as either roster or prospect picks, depending on whether or not you think they would succeed in the NHL next season / the type of team you are trying to build.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sounds good to me. I'd be up for something like that if everyone else is. Seems a bit more interesting than a normal draft with sub 20 teams.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I've done the one player per team thing before and it's fun

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Down for whatever

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

I've done the one player per team thing before and it's fun

Yeah I like this idea.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I guess unsigned vet guys could count towards the team they were previously on?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I guess unsigned vet guys could count towards the team they were previously on?

That’s pretty much just a Boston thing now isn’t it? I think providing there’s 0 chance they play elsewhere (so same for any RFA’s in arbitration I guess) then it seems fine.

Unless we get 20+ players I can’t see any other late unsigned being picked.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Tarasenko? Dumba? Tatar? Patrick Kane ?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just use the start day as a cutoff point and add a slot for “not currently on NHL team”. Anyone available for an NHL FA contract could be taken in that slot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Works for me, how many slots are we thinking then, 33?

32 and you can remove one team for a FA slot if you wish?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sounds fine to me. Sorry, I haven't been online much lately, busy week. Can someone take the lead on starting it up?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So for rules:

32 Picks (23 Roster players + 9 prospects/system guys).

1 player from each team (can use 1 FA slot to ignore a team).

Otherwise the same as the OP, salary cap, NHL affiliated or FA, yadda yadda.

Does anyone want to do the sheet?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alright, did a quick and dirty copy of a previous year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iY0Tz8ieKJr6bibbu6SeTdKOin2MaWhmgSaznnTzCd4/edit#gid=0 -- I set up a team template for Cleveland. Feel free to copy that to track your own team or do something better! When picking, please include position and in the sheet format it as so: Player (Team) so that we can more easily keep track of what teams people have picked from for the 1 player per team limit.

Draft Order:

1. Vancouver Canucks: JawKnee
2. California Golden Seals: Ginette Reno
3. Toronto Arenas: eXXon
4. Montreal Canadiens: stab
5. Seattle Kraken: VOTE1
6. St. Louis Blues: Duckman2008
7. Montreal Wanderers: kalensc
8. Florida Everblades: El Gallinero Gros
9. Cleveland Barons: T-Bone
10. Atlanta Thrashers: WeaponX
11. Philadelphia Flyers: mentholmoose
12. Hartford Whalers: fawning deference
13. Columbus Blue Jackets: Furnaceface
14. Quebec Bulldogs: Jordan7hm

Let's plan on starting the timer Friday 7/21 at 10:00am EST. You can pick now if you want, but the timer won't start until then.

Rules:

1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team (or have played last season in the NHL).

2. The salary cap for 2023-2024 is $126m million. The cap floor is $92m million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you. As the draft gets into the later rounds, we have traditionally sped up the timer to put finishes touches on our teams with depth guys.

4. We will be selecting 23 roster players, 8 prospects and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies for your roster, and your prospects can be any position. New Rule -- you must select one player per NHL team! As of *today* 7/19, any unsigned player counts as a free slot (although you will need to account for their eventual contract). You can use 1 FA slot to replace any team of your choosing. Also, your coach counts for your team slot! So if you take Babcock, Columbus down.

e: Let me know if you see anything hosed in the sheet, or feel free to fix it yourself.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I dig it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
JawKnee is up if he wants to pick :)

No timer till Friday though!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If JawKnee isn't ready by Friday I could swap him to the end and move everyone up in the queue too, to give him some time to get back. Up to you guys.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah that's fine.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alright, I pmed him on disc, if he hasn't responded by late tonight I'll move people up

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I will take Connor McDavid, the best player in the world, and unfortunately still an Edmonton oiler

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I seem to only be able to view the sheet right now, no edit capabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hmm, no chance of bullying any more people to get up to 16 at least?