Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

Artemi Panarin

So to have like a post or two of discussion in this thread: Seems pretty early for Panarin, especially from a team like the Rangers that potentially have a lot of other draftable good players.

I think his horrific series vs. the Devils is maybe being weighed a little too much, but he's 31 and on the downswing -- Stab you always take interesting teams but feels like Panarin would have been available two or three rounds from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Anyway seems like Brayden Point works for that team?

Yeah, Point would be my next pick otherwise haha.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

So to have like a post or two of discussion in this thread: Seems pretty early for Panarin, especially from a team like the Rangers that potentially have a lot of other draftable good players.

I think his horrific series vs. the Devils is maybe being weighed a little too much, but he's 31 and on the downswing -- Stab you always take interesting teams but feels like Panarin would have been available two or three rounds from now.

Also agree

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

T-Bone posted:

Youre missing the gimmick, it'll come with time lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

stab posted:

Given your picks are Draisaitl, Stutzle, and Panarin is the gimmick zero defense?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact gimmick?

someone hide Wojtek Wolski

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Duckman said to skip him, kalensc is up

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hmm, guess I'll take Roope Hintz, C, Dallas

Crosby
Hintz
Vasilevskiy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Florida selects C Matt Beniers

?/Hughes/?
?/Beniers/?

Saros

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like the Beniers pick, it's a debatable one given the established stars still around, but the upside is huge. Intriguing!

I'm gonna go the same route with Moritz Seider -- he's big and he plays big (plays like an rear end in a top hat even), and that's what my team is all about.

Tkachuk/Tkachuk/Seider is the start of the Cleveland Bastards

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 24, 2023

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright WeaponX got skipped so I’m taking my #1 center, reigning Stanley Cup Champion Jack Eichel.

e:

?-Eichel-Pastrnak

Sorokin

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 24, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Atlanta Thrashers select Johnny Gaudreau

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He's got a terrific cap hit for the next two years and will give mean insane top pair. I've got to take Jaccob Slavin.

Rantanen

Slavin-Fox

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think that makes me up?

After the big run on goalies early Im going to take a risk and get Akira Toriyama Schmid. He played well, until he didnt. But I think there is enough upside and room for improvement, even if there are still a few better established goalies on the board.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I had to check a couple times to make sure this guy was still available.

The Quebec Bulldogs will take Mika Zibanejad as our top line center.

Robertson - Zibanejad - ?

Hughes - ?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boxcar up

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

I think that makes me up?

After the big run on goalies early Im going to take a risk and get Akira Toriyama Schmid. He played well, until he didnt. But I think there is enough upside and room for improvement, even if there are still a few better established goalies on the board.

Love me some Schmid but this is shockingly early for him. He would have been available had you waited another 3 rounds I'd think.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Love me some Schmid but this is shockingly early for him. He would have been available had you waited another 3 rounds I'd think.

He wasnt even the best Devil available, but I kind of want to try and draft a young team for once. Every time Ive done this my teams average age always ends up being like 34+. :v:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

He wasnt even the best Devil available, but I kind of want to try and draft a young team for once. Every time Ive done this my teams average age always ends up being like 34+. :v:

I don't mind the reasoning, I think Schmid is a young cheap potential goalie of the future. I just think there are other young cheap pieces available that you could have taken since Schmid would have lasted several more rounds imo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting pick but I do tend to think he would have lasted many more rounds.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
MissingJagr wants Dougie Hamilton and Evgeni Malkin

e: added a team sheet to the google doc for easier tracking

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
The New York Rangers are proud to select Mikhail Sergachev and Shea Theodore. Sergachev came into his own last year, anchoring the 3rd best powerplay in the league en route to 64 points. Theodore was on pace for 61, led VGK's D in the playoffs in points, and of course won the Cup. Sergachev is 24 and is signed to a great long-term deal at 8.5. Theodore is at 5.2 for this year and next and then UFA, so that's either a very tradeable asset. But since we have Sergachev, we'll be able to suppress his points by keeping him off PP1 probably, so he'll be expensive but not break the bank. And I think his style could age reasonably (or be tradeable).

x-Matthews-x
x-Pettersson-x

Theodore-x
Sergachev-x

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Quebec Bulldogs will go ahead and pick one of my favorite ever players. With our fourth selection we’ll grab Erik Karlsson.

Don’t care what the salary is, don’t care how old he is. He’s still a transformative offensive player, and changes the dynamics every time he’s on the ice. Him and Quinn will make for a wild pairing, or more likely a great 1-2 punch.

Robertson - Zibanejad - ?

Hughes - Karlsson

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
these teams all looked pretty stacked, but I guess that makes sense with 16

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The following teams had no players selected from in the first three rounds, which is pretty interesting/telling/damning:

WSH/STL/PHI/MTL/LAK/CGY/ANA/SJS (with the Sharks just getting on the board with EK).

Tampa leads the way with (5) players selected. NJ/NYR/DAL are next with (4).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I feel like considering they both play "give me the puck" transition styles you may want to just have two game-breaker D on each pair. Otherwise, anytime one of them has the puck the other doesn't and you're getting less value kinda.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fawning deference posted:

I feel like considering they both play "give me the puck" transition styles you may want to just have two game-breaker D on each pair. Otherwise, anytime one of them has the puck the other doesn't and you're getting less value kinda.

Yeah it’s the Karlsson / Burns pairing problem. You can’t have two guys who drive the bus.

Would make for a fun PP though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, St. Louis blues time.

That’s Detroit

And best player available.

So obviously gotta go with Dylan Larkin

??? - Larkin - Kucherov

??? - Ceci

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I need a first line center to do damage with Rantanen. As part of my expensive core four, I'll take Mathew Barzal, who I think is a 90-point player on a team with offense (and playing with someone who isn't Simon Holmstrom, Cal Clutterbuck, or Zach Parise).

Rantanen-Barzal

Slavin-Fox

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 25, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
e: FIXED

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 25, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ahhh that's right! drat sorry all. One sec.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Edited the pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

New retroactive rule, the first person to break the one per team rule has to take two from Arizona.

(I really thought it would take more than four rounds)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im taking noted tiny man Cole Caufield because small scorers rule.

Yeah that is my only reason for this pick, deal with it. :colbert:

e:
Keller - Thompson - Caufield

WHO NEEDS DEFENSE

Schmid

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 25, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Tage and Cole doing a Twins remake

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Flyers are going to take a Blue Jacket now because if somebody else takes him there’s nobody else remotely good on that roster.

Adam Fantilli

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
WeaponX is up...then me!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Tage and Cole doing a Twins remake

It would be a thing of majestic beauty.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Atlanta Thrasher select Linus Ullmark

Gaudreau-Stamkos
Makar
Ullmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ullmark is an interesting one. I feel like he's being a bit slept on because of his rough playoffs (even by Bruins fans which I think sort of is because they have Swayman and are up against the cap). 29 is a weird age for goalies but I would think given his lack of big time starting miles that he might have another 3-4 good years left in him.

I'm torn between a bunch of guys, and the one player per team stuff is making this very interesting. But I need a center and he's a great one, so I'll take the guy fawning wanted but couldn't take Sebastian Aho (CAR)

Contract status is a bit scary, but who wouldn't want to reup to center the Tkachuk boys?

Tkachuk-Aho-Tkachuk

Seider

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 25, 2023