Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Okay, it looks like with the exception of a couple of notable free agents (Tarasenko, Tatar) and a couple of notable players who may or may not be dealt (Karlsson, DeBrincat) soon, teams have set their off-season visions in motion for the upcoming season. Things are about to slow down as we anticipate the start of next season. This means we get to do another fantasy draft. This is going to be for the current league, not for all-time. To quote from earlier versions:

quote:

Here are the rules as posted before: The draft order will snake and be randomly chosen. We use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of picks and you can make your own pages in there to show devotion to your fake teams if you so desire. As with all pursuits that combine nerdery and sports, this requires some time investment and as the game goes on, perhaps some research to find players to fit your drafting plan; expect to spend a month or two with your good buddies in this thread. Despite the serious element, this is all about fun (and escaping the miserable emptiness of the hockey offseason). We will do our best to discuss picks and explain what we are doing and it would be cool if some other folks would do the same. We will post obscure advanced metrics to support our reaches and videos to support our vague feels.

RULES

1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team. For instance, you can draft recently drafted guys like Connor Bedard. This rule seems to have always had a lot of leeway, with people drafting UFAs and various unsigned players. I think it makes sense to do it as, they must have been the property of an NHL team, played the past season in the NHL, or are in the process of coming to the NHL (i.e. like if Jagr tries to come back again).

2. The salary cap for 2021-2022 is $83.5 million. The cap floor is $61.7 million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you. As the draft gets into the later rounds, we have traditionally sped up the timer to put finishes touches on our teams with depth guys.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches can be literally anyone.

Note: If someone can set up a Google sheet, that would be awesome, I'm not good at that stuff.

Everyone claim your teams. Teams can be any team in NHL history.

I will start with the Hartford Whalers.

GM's

1. Hartford Whalers: fawning deference
2. Toronto Arenas: eXXon
3. Montreal Canadiens: stab
4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Furnaceface
5. Seattle Kraken: VOTE1
6. Montreal Wanderers: kalensc
7. Philadelphia Flyers: mentholmoose
8. St. Louis Blues: Duckman2008
9. Vancouver Canucks: JawKnee
10. Cleveland Barons: T-Bone
11. Atlanta Thrashers: WeaponX
12. Florida Everblades: El Gallinero Gros
13. Quebec Bulldogs: Jordan7hm
14. California Golden Seals: Ginette Reno

18 teams left.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I still need someone to volunteer to handle the Google sheet since I am not good with that...

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cool, 19 teams left.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I would be pretty down for that. That can make things interesting and basically have no rounds of "filler depth guy" stuff.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Regular next year = roster player.

I would probably say it's on the GM to identify that line. If you draft Bedard and want to play him next year as a regular, that would be a roster player. If you want to develop him for at least the next season outside of the NHL, it's a prospect. For someone like Michkov who has a contract in the KHL for another couple of years and can't come be a regular in 2023-24, prospect. Other players could be drafted as either roster or prospect picks, depending on whether or not you think they would succeed in the NHL next season / the type of team you are trying to build.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sounds fine to me. Sorry, I haven't been online much lately, busy week. Can someone take the lead on starting it up?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I dig it.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah that's fine.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

JawKnee posted:

I seem to only be able to view the sheet right now, no edit capabilities

Same and we need to add cap hit.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Whalers select Adam Fox. Too tempting to not select probably the 2nd best D in the league for years to come on a terrific contract.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I'll take Matthew Tkachuk

Almost took him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm taking Mikko Rantanen.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That's a good point. Half the teams meeting that cap will be tricky but one player from each team might help even it out a little

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Maybe he gets back to me but I'm gonna take Brady Tkachuk

Somehow I knew you would do this

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Do we want to make the cap any higher btw with just 16 teams?

It would make sense, just not sure about the math.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sure

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'd be willing to take over and make the picks now if it's okay with everyone else.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

No problem, either way is fine.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He rules. As quiet a 90-point season by a 20 year-old can possibly be.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Lemme ask in disc real quick before you do

Am I picking or no?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Yeah go for it.

Ginette wants Kaprizov

Okay, I'll take Sasha Barkov and Connor Hellebuyck for Seattle.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Stab's up till noon, then it's Vote1's pick so I suppose anyone who's around can consensus him if they want.

I'm still fine with taking over his team and making picks but if the forum would rather consensus him that is okay too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sounds good to me

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Anyway seems like Brayden Point works for that team?

Yeah, Point would be my next pick otherwise haha.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

So to have like a post or two of discussion in this thread: Seems pretty early for Panarin, especially from a team like the Rangers that potentially have a lot of other draftable good players.

I think his horrific series vs. the Devils is maybe being weighed a little too much, but he's 31 and on the downswing -- Stab you always take interesting teams but feels like Panarin would have been available two or three rounds from now.

Also agree

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

stab posted:

Youre missing the gimmick, it'll come with time lol

Given your picks are Draisaitl, Stutzle, and Panarin is the gimmick zero defense?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He's got a terrific cap hit for the next two years and will give mean insane top pair. I've got to take Jaccob Slavin.

Rantanen

Slavin-Fox

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

I think that makes me up?

After the big run on goalies early Im going to take a risk and get Akira Toriyama Schmid. He played well, until he didnt. But I think there is enough upside and room for improvement, even if there are still a few better established goalies on the board.

Love me some Schmid but this is shockingly early for him. He would have been available had you waited another 3 rounds I'd think.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

He wasnt even the best Devil available, but I kind of want to try and draft a young team for once. Every time Ive done this my teams average age always ends up being like 34+. :v:

I don't mind the reasoning, I think Schmid is a young cheap potential goalie of the future. I just think there are other young cheap pieces available that you could have taken since Schmid would have lasted several more rounds imo.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I feel like considering they both play "give me the puck" transition styles you may want to just have two game-breaker D on each pair. Otherwise, anytime one of them has the puck the other doesn't and you're getting less value kinda.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I need a first line center to do damage with Rantanen. As part of my expensive core four, I'll take Mathew Barzal, who I think is a 90-point player on a team with offense (and playing with someone who isn't Simon Holmstrom, Cal Clutterbuck, or Zach Parise).

Rantanen-Barzal

Slavin-Fox

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 25, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ahhh that's right! drat sorry all. One sec.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Edited the pick.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Already taken to my knowledge

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm not letting you get away with that. Brendan Smith is their worst player. Vanecek, despite his bad playoff performance, was pretty solid most of the season. Smith is just old and bad.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I guess? Won't die on the hill or anything and I suppose it tells us how good the Devils are when an above average starting goalie is their worst player (with a significant cap hit).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Am I picking in 13 minutes?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I don't think so, Menthol has still got like an hour and change.

Oh, I must have the time zone messed up.

These are really hard picks now.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Again, really hard pick. Not really sure whether to take a winger, center, or goalie, and also not sure how to manage the cap. I have 3 $9m+ players on the roster.

I think I will select Jeremy Swayman, who is an RFA but expected to sign a bridge deal at $3-4m AAV, which I think will be a great deal for him.

Rantanen-Barzal

Slavin-Fox

Swayman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fiala is awesome and underrated.